FractalMapper
  • I seem to be having an issue with the demo. I can't get past the glitch.
  • Hi Levar. Sorry for your issue. Could you please download the new version (1.01), install it over the old one and do Edit->Purge->All Memory in AE after reopening of the project?
  • i am very sorry - the plugin itself works perfectly and would even be one of my new favorites, but the jagged edges it creates make it barely useable for me. i really hope for an update with better rendering.
  • Are there any tutorials on this plug in? 
  • Hi Casey! Not yet, although there is an example project in the archive with several different techniques.
  • Im sorry there dosent seem to be a link for the 1.01 demo.
  • i am very sorry - the plugin itself works perfectly and would even be one of my new favorites, but the jagged edges it creates make it barely useable for me. i really hope for an update with better rendering.
    Hi Roman! We could add supersampling in theory (and thought of that), but it comes at a price of significant performance drop, while at the moment fractalmapper performs very, very fast.
    Still, I'm not sure that I really understand the problem . Are you talking about bitmap aliasing or aliasing from higher iterations (which you can easily clamp with iteration slider)? Could you provide the example? 
    Please note that even without supersampling you can easily precomp FractalMapper in e.g. 4k composition and scale it down afterwards, and it still should be fast.
  • Im sorry there dosent seem to be a link for the 1.01 demo.
    Just try again now please, and don't mind the name of the archive (there should be updated binaries inside atm).
  • Yes!!! Got it thanks! I was looking forward to trying this! Thank you!
  • FractalMapper is now crashing my aeCC2014 when ever i use it trying to transition video clips. Is there an update i need?
  • In fact, it crashes even with your demo project files that you provided.  Any suggestions? I would love this plug in to work as it's advertised.

thanks.
  • Hi Casey, we're very sorry for this issue. Although, it is quite a surprise - the plugin was working just fine with AE CC2014. 
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it was even working fine for you for a week or two, wasn't it?

Could you please file a bug ticket at aescripts and provide more additional information regarding your problem, so we could help. (Crash repro steps, your system specs, exact AE version and a crash info, if you're using OSX). 

Also, are you sure you're talking about CC2014 and not the latest update from Adobe (which happened couple of days ago and is called CC2015, so we haven't had a chance to test FM with it).
  • Hi,

Thank you for the response. I just upgraded to AE CC2014 two days ago which is the standard that we are using at my office. The plugin was working great with CS6 for the last few weeks.  However, when i went to copy the .plugin file here /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/Plug-ins/[Adobe After Effects version]/MediaCore there was no CC2014/MediaCore folder to put file in. So I put the file in applications/Adobe AfterEffectsCC2014/Plug-ins folder. The plugin appears in effects panel and will even function for a minute or two before crashing and then crashes again when i reopen. Where is the right place to put the .plugin file for CC2014?

Thanks so much for your assistance! We will get this right.

casey
    Hi Roman! We could add supersampling in theory (and thought of that), but it comes at a price of significant performance drop, while at the moment fractalmapper performs very, very fast.Still, I'm not sure that I really understand the problem . Are you talking about bitmap aliasing or aliasing from higher iterations (which you can easily clamp with iteration slider)? Could you provide the example? Please note that even without supersampling you can easily precomp FractalMapper in e.g. 4k composition and scale it down afterwards, and it still should be fast.
    Well, we've added the supersampling feature. =) Hope you'll have fun with it.
  • Impossible to use with my cc2014, it crashes every time... What's the problem ?
  • Sorry for this, update is coming very soon (or you can file a bug ticket and recieve a version which was fixed for cc2014, just not tested with all the hosts yet).
  • From the demo it appears the plugin functions in 3D space.  Is that correct?  If so does it respond to comp cameras?
  • Not quite. The plugin is supposed to work with a 2D layer in AE - although you are able to zoom in and out of the fractal space with the appropriate slider, which was shown in the demo. =)  That's one of the many reasons, why fractals are awesome! 
  • The supersampling needs some work. It would be great if changing it didn't change the effect completely. 
  • Hey Adam! Supersampling is not supposed to change anything regarding the look of the effect, and it doesn't - for all our current test cases. If your experience differs, please file a bug ticket , so we could work that around.
  • Hi,

Is it normal that the edges are always jagged ?
  • Hi David, and no, it's not normal, but totally possible, if e.g. you're using nearest texture sampling and native resolution (without supersampling).
  • I love that you use the same image for all of your plugins :)
  • Damn, I bought this not knowing it wasn't compatible with CC 2021. Why is that? Are there any plans to support current versions of After Effects?
  • Hey Ben, not sure what are you talking about exactly - the plugin should work in 2021. Do you mean it doesn't work for you?
  • Does Fractal Mapper work with After Effects 2022?
  • Not working with After Effects 2022
  • Will it work in the latest version of AE2023 on Mac Silicon?
  • Can't seem to find this on After Effects 2023.  Is this still compatible with the most recent AE update?