• sorry for my bad english, i'm a Motion Designer from Taiwan.

i thought it will be a huge performance impact with a lot expression and pre-comps, but after i tried trial it works really really nice with knock-out system, make it really smooth, with only little performance impact, i really like this idea!
    and if comp comes with 3d camera, it automatically open the visibility of camera, really cool!

but i still find a bug if you have multiple cameras on the same comp, Layer Slayer would only open one camera, and you have to manually open other camera's visibility in the pre-comp.
    but after add more slayer layer, it hides other camera again.
    can you add a feature to make it show all cameras at the same comp, or detect the camera's visibility on the original comp and copy them into Layer Slayer per-comp?
  • Hi Timothy,
    Thanks for the feedback and glad you like it! Minimalism is the name of the game!

Currently, only the topmost camera layer gets enabled in the pre-comp when you enable "Active Camera" under 3D Options in your Master Settings. Your suggestion is very reasonable though so I will look into making all enabled cameras show instead of just the topmost camera layer.

In the meantime, you could try enabling the "Collapse Transformations" checkbox under the Master Settings. Then the pre-comp will be nested as a 3D object, and it will respond to the cameras (and lights) in your main comp (the pre-comp cameras become irrelevant). Make sure the "Collapse Transformations" switch is also enabled for your Slayer Layer for this to work (see pic).

Let us know if that works for you and stay tuned for an update!

(Your English is great btw)
    collapseTransf.jpg
    350 x 137 - 11K
  • Timothy,
    The new update solves the issue :) Please check it out.

• Hi David,

Love your script ! I have been able to make this easier https://dribbble.com/shots/2678607-Hey-ho-and-up-she-rises

I've still 1 question. When I pre-comp masters with their slayers (nice denominations btw), they keep the attributes in the effects but they have been unlinked, and the script won't unite them again. Do you have an input or I'm getting this all wrong ?

Thanks !
  • Hello Fabien,

Thank you! Very impressive work. Some of the best "faux 3D" I've seen! Nice style too.
    I've still 1 question. When I pre-comp masters with their slayers (nice denominations btw), they keep the attributes in the effects but they have been unlinked, and the script won't unite them again. Do you have an input or I'm getting this all wrong ?
    Let me see if I understand your question:
    • You've created some slayers from a master layer.
    • Then you pre-comped both the master and one of it's slayers to create a new comp .
    • When you go into the pre-comp, select the master and click update - either nothing happens or you get some message from the script saying it looks like it's been disconnected.

Is that right? If so, then I think you have encountered an aspect of the script that tries to avoid ambiguity at all costs. This is a good thing, but as a result it puts some limitations on duplicating comps and pre-comping in this manner.

A fix is in the works, but for now I suggest the following:
    In the pre-comp:
    1. In your master layer's comments column, delete the term " [Layer Slayer ...] ".
    2. Now create a new Slayer from the master layer using +.
    3. Right-click the new Slayer layer and select Reveal Layer Source in Project to find the new sLaYeR comp.
    4. Use the new sLaYeR comp to swap sources with the old ones in your pre-comp (use Alt + drag).
    5. All the Slayer Layers should now be reconnected to your master when you press update.
    Give that a try and please check back in here to let us know if it worked. If not then please open a support ticket and I'll be happy to get into the details with you.

Thanks again!
  • Hi David,

Thanks for your quick answer !
    • You've created some slayers from a master layer.
    • Then you pre-comped both the master and one of it's slayers to create a new comp .
    • When you go into the pre-comp, select the master and click update - either nothing happens or you get some message from the script saying it looks like it's been disconnected.
    Yes exactly, I had this alert "Layer ## looks like a disconnected master layer".

A fix is in the works, but for now I suggest the following:
    In the pre-comp:
    1. In your master layer's comments column, delete the term " [Layer Slayer ...] ".
    2. Now create a new Slayer from the master layer using +.
    3. Right-click the new Slayer layer and select Reveal Layer Source in Project to find the new sLaYeR comp.
    4. Use the new sLaYeR comp to swap sources with the old ones in your pre-comp (use Alt + drag).
    5. All the Slayer Layers should now be reconnected to your master when you press update.
    This is working, thank you, and it's quicker than doing it manually. Anyway, I'll check the updates for sure ! 

There is a second issue I encountered :
    The live-link property doesn't seem to work with paths. When active on the path property of a master, I'm not able to change its path anymore. The pointer stays at the "select" state (small white pointer with a white rectangle) instead of black one. I can select anchor points but can't move them and it doesn't take keyboard inputs neither.

In the meantime be sure I'll work with it for next projects. It's a very useful script keeping comps tidy and a time-saver.

• This is working, thank you, and it's quicker than doing it manually. Anyway, I'll check the updates for sure !
    Great! Thanks for letting us know. Expect the update in the near future.
    There is a second issue I encountered :
    The live-link property doesn't seem to work with paths. When active on the path property of a master, I'm not able to change its path anymore. The pointer stays at the "select" state (small white pointer with a white rectangle) instead of black one. I can select anchor points but can't move them and it doesn't take keyboard inputs neither.
    Unfortunately this is an After Effects limitation. Any mask path with an active expression can't be modified - even if you've simply pick-whipped it to itself. There is no choice but to disable the master expression  while you edit (click the "=" button under the expression tools).

Even with the expression disabled the Slayers will still Live-Update.The important part is that the expression must be re-enabled anytime you push update (let's say you're also editing something else without Live-Link). If you forget to re-enable it - no problem you can do it any time to re-activate the live link, then disable it so you can edit.
    In the meantime be sure I'll work with it for next projects. It's a very useful script keeping comps tidy and a time-saver.
    Awesome! That's the idea ;) Feel free to post what you've done with it anytime.
  • Check out the new Layer Slayer v1.0.2 update!
    Now you can pre-compose master layers or duplicate your main comp without losing any connections.
    If you update a master layer inside a comp that was duplicated, you'll be given 3 options:
    1. Switch control of all related slayers to the new master.
    2. Leave all master controls in the original.
    3. Create a second, independent master that controls slayers in the same comp. The original continues to control its original slayers.

This should make the overall workflow even more robust and flexible and you can still name things however you want. Enjoy!!
    duplicationOptions.jpg
    300 x 213 - 68K
  • I was not able to duplicate master layers because of whatever warning it gives you. Super confusing workflow. I didn't find this plugin helpful, wish I could get my money back.

• I was not able to duplicate master layers because of whatever warning it gives you. Super confusing workflow. I didn't find this plugin helpful, wish I could get my money back.
    Hi Adam,
    Sorry to hear that. I'd be happy to help clear your issue if you open a support ticket ( https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1 )including what the warning said.
    Thanks,
    David
  • Hi,
    very nice tool!
    I was looking for an layer instancer when I found this.

Is it somehow possible to offset the keyframes of the Slayers or control the animation otherwise in the main comp? Would give great procedural animation power to this workflow (for example step offset keys from slayer to slayer or randomize key offset between them). Basically what the C4D mograph tools do to the clones.
  • Hi,
    very nice tool!
    I was looking for an layer instancer when I found this.

Is it somehow possible to offset the keyframes of the Slayers or control the animation otherwise in the main comp? Would give great procedural animation power to this workflow (for example step offset keys from slayer to slayer or randomize key offset between them). Basically what the C4D mograph tools do to the clones.
    Thanks Christoph. Glad you're enjoying it!

Try the following:
    1. In your slayer layer go to Effects > Slayer Options > Timing Sync.
    2. Set Timing Sync to "None"
    3. With the slayer or master selected, click the refresh button in the Layer Slayer panel.
    When Timing Sync is set to "None", moving the slayers in time should affect their timing relative to the master.

If this helps please feel free to let us know in this thread !
  • Does this work with CC 2018?
  • Jon Taie said:
    Does this work with CC 2018?
    Hi Jon,
    It should work but has not been fully tested on our end just yet. Try it out with the free trial version first to be sure it works with your setup.
  • Hi! What about the individual layers within a composition?  Let's say I have a personage in a composition and I only need to bring an arm, or a leg, to the foreground.