• Hello, I just downloaded Origami Trial, but i coudn't open it.
    It shows "Origami packages file is absent, Please reinstall Origami", and "Unable to execute script at line 95. null is not an object", and "AEGP Plugin origami: null is not an object (5027 :: 12)"
    i'm pretty sure i have install the script and plug-in correctly

System:
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Traditional Chinese
    After Effects CC 2015.2 (13.7.1.6) English
  • Hello, I just downloaded Origami Trial, but i coudn't open it.
    It shows "Origami packages file is absent, Please reinstall Origami", and "Unable to execute script at line 95. null is not an object", and "AEGP Plugin origami: null is not an object (5027 :: 12)"
    i'm pretty sure i have install the script and plug-in correctly

System:
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Traditional Chinese
    After Effects CC 2015.2 (13.7.1.6) English
    Please download again from aescripts, we've just fixed this issue
  • Nice work Nik.  I would also like to, sometimes, create the Voronoi Shatter, and keep the masks contiguous (with the image appearing intact). With that I could do other things with the masks ... like using Newton2 to animate.  Can this be done?
  • Nice work Nik.  I would also like to, sometimes, create the Voronoi Shatter, and keep the masks contiguous (with the image appearing intact). With that I could do other things with the masks ... like using Newton2 to animate.  Can this be done?
    Well now you can check "Fragments to layers" and get separate layers with masks you can use with Newton. I haven't tested Newton yet, but sure it will work. So basically you just get common AE layers you can do whatever you want with.
  • Nik Ska said:
    Nice work Nik.  I would also like to, sometimes, create the Voronoi Shatter, and keep the masks contiguous (with the image appearing intact). With that I could do other things with the masks ... like using Newton2 to animate.  Can this be done?
    Well now you can check "Fragments to layers" and get separate layers with masks you can use with Newton. I haven't tested Newton yet, but sure it will work. So basically you just get common AE layers you can do whatever you want with.
    Great .... then I will buy it now ....
  • One more question Nik .... will this script work in AE CS6?
  • One more question Nik .... will this script work in AE CS6?

Sure it does (though the interface is not as pretty as on CC2015)
  • This looks fantastic. Is there a way to control the mesh  a bit more - let's say you wanted to create a flower pattern, kinda like this: http://www.origami-instructions.com/images/easy-yamaguchi-dahlia/thumbnails/14-yamaguchi-dahlia.jpg

Is there any way to control the script to split up the pieces this way?

• This looks fantastic. Is there a way to control the mesh  a bit more - let's say you wanted to create a flower pattern, kinda like this: http://www.origami-instructions.com/images/easy-yamaguchi-dahlia/thumbnails/14-yamaguchi-dahlia.jpg

Is there any way to control the script to split up the pieces this way?

Hi, Dave. We plan to add more mesh types soon, and add User masks and shapes support, so you would be able to make your own mesh and animate it with origami.
  • Nik,
    On the install, I'm using AE-CS6.  Where do I install the "basicSlice.jsxbin" ....?
  • Nik,

On the install, I'm using AE-CS6.  Where do I install the "basicSlice.jsxbin" ....?
    Please copy (Origami_packages) folder with this file inside to Plug-ins folder
  • Nik Ska said:
    Nik,
    I think I have it installed as instructed but I don't see it in my "Window" drop-down in AE.
    Here's a link to a screen shot I just took of my Plugins Folder
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxBo3nkR_bb3OFZTZVVVNXlzbXM

• Nik Ska said:

Nik,

I think I have it installed as instructed but I don't see it in my "Window" drop-down in AE.

You have to copy Origami.jsx to scriptui panels folder, otherwise Origami will appear only in Effecrs
  • Nik Ska said:
    Nik Ska said:
    Nik,
    You have to copy Origami.jsx to scriptui panels folder, otherwise Origami will appear only in Effecrs
    OK .... got it ... sorry!
  • Nik,
    this time I'm getting this message.  I only want now to test to see if I can generate the segments (masks) to individual layers to test Newton2.

• Nik .... I figured it out.   I see you have to add a mask to the layer you want to break apart in to the individual masks, even if it is simply one that frames the outer edge of an image.
    Once I did that it worked, and works well in Newton2 as well.
  • Nik .... I figured it out.   I see you have to add a mask to the layer you want to break apart in to the individual masks, even if it is simply one that frames the outer edge of an image.
    Once I did that it worked, and works well in Newton2 as well.
    Hey, John. Sorry I didn't mention this in the tutorial. For AE CC and below you have to add mask manually.

• I've installed it, but when I open it on my Mac from the windows menu, it just looks like this:

what am I doing wrong? I already tried to install it again, no success..

• I've installed it, but when I open it on my Mac from the windows menu, it just looks like this:

Hi, Christoph. This is a really strange bug of our new framework. 
    Please first open a composition then launch Origami.jsx. We're investigating this bug.
  • Nik Ska said:
    I've installed it, but when I open it on my Mac from the windows menu, it just looks like this:

Hi, Christoph. This is a really strange bug of our new framework. 
    Please first open a composition then launch Origami.jsx. We're investigating this bug.
    Thank you! Now it works! Yes you should probably fix this ;)
  • How did you create these "outlines" in the promo video btw? 
  • How did you create these "outlines" in the promo video btw? 
    We are actually making a series of advanced tutorials right now. You just create Shapes, select them and turn off Fill, then set Stroke color to one color and increase the width.
    Screenshot 2016-04-19 23.35.45.png
    658 x 616 - 100K
  • Nik Ska said:
    How did you create these "outlines" in the promo video btw? 
    We are actually making a series of advanced tutorials right now. You just create Shapes, select them and turn off Fill, then set Stroke color to one color and increase the width.
    Oh, haha didnt think it was that simple ;) thx!!!
  • Origami was successfully installed, however it doesn't fully work! 
    Selecting masks creates multiple layers but without colorisation. Selecting shape layers does create colourised layers but in both cases the control layer is labeled as !control and the parenting chain doesn't make its way to the control layer and therefore no animation is created - HELP
  • Origami was successfully installed, however it doesn't fully work! 
    Selecting masks creates multiple layers but without colorisation. Selecting shape layers does create colourised layers but in both cases the control layer is labeled as !control and the parenting chain doesn't make its way to the control layer and therefore no animation is created - HELP
    Hi, Rebecca. Would you please submit a support ticket with complete information on your system and AE version as well as a screencast/screenshots to determine the issue?
  • Playing around with the trial version. This is great.

Question: The "Shades of original color" slider in the settings tab seems disabled/locked. Is this a limitation of the trial version that will go away once licensed?

Thank you!
  • Playing around with the trial version. This is great.

Question: The "Shades of original color" slider in the settings tab seems disabled/locked. Is this a limitation of the trial version that will go away once licensed?

Thank you!
    Hi, Declan! Yes, this is the limitation of trial version.
  • Helllo, Ive just purchased the "Origami" Scripts. but I could see the message "Unable to execute script atline 75. Permission denied (is Preferences > General > Allow Scripts to Write Files and Access Network enabled?)"

than I can't use it.
    Please, Let me know the solution about this. 
    Thanks. T_T 

• Helllo, Ive just purchased the "Origami" Scripts. but I could see the message "Unable to execute script atline 75. Permission denied (is Preferences > General > Allow Scripts to Write Files and Access Network enabled?)"

than I can't use it.
    Please, Let me know the solution about this. 
    Thanks. T_T 

Please open Preferences - General and check "Allow scripts to.write filed and access network"
  • Hi Nik, I love working with this so far. Thanks for putting together a great script. Any hints as to how far off in the future we might be able to see the ability to build a mesh from a shape with bezier curves? I could see a lot of applications for breaking up text or vector icons with curves. The ability to create a custom mesh would also be amazing.
  • Hi. Thanks for your quickly reply, but I have another problem.
    I followed the tutorial . 
    First select the image layer, than I set the Origami Plugin, But I saw the message "Select a shape layer or a layer with a mask" 

After that , Aftereffect made only a null layer.
    How can I solve the problem?

• Hi. Thanks for your quickly reply, but I have another problem.

I followed the tutorial . 
    First select the image layer, than I set the Origami Plugin, But I saw the message "Select a shape layer or a layer with a mask" 

After that , Aftereffect made only a null layer.
    How can I solve the problem?

This means you're on AE CC or below. Please follow these instructions:
  • Hello! I have just downloaded and installed the trial version of Origami. I'm super excited to use it and it would actually solve a lot of problems with my current project. However, I'm experiencing the same thing Rebecca Collis  was having....Did you two by any chance find out what was going on there?

I have AE CC 2015, windows 10 64bit.

Basically, it fragments the image / mask, but no animation is created and all the fragments are black...It indeed seems like the !control layer is disconnected from it all...when clicking on it I don't even have controls in the FX area like you had on the tutorial..

I'd love to get the trial working so I could see if it could indeed serve the purpose I'd like it to :(

Would really appreciate your help! Looks like a magnificent plugin! :D

Or
  • Hello! I have just downloaded and installed the trial version of Origami. I'm super excited to use it and it would actually solve a lot of problems with my current project. However, I'm experiencing the same thing Rebecca Collis  was having....Did you two by any chance find out what was going on there?

Basically, it fragments the image / mask, but no animation is created and all the fragments are black...It indeed seems like the !control layer is disconnected from it all...when clicking on it I don't even have controls in the FX area like you had on the tutorial..

I'd love to get the trial working so I could see if it could indeed serve the purpose I'd like it to :(

Or
    Please go to Preferences - General and enable "Allow scripts to write files and access network". This should make it work.
  • Nik Ska said:
    Hello! I have just downloaded and installed the trial version of Origami. I'm super excited to use it and it would actually solve a lot of problems with my current project. However, I'm experiencing the same thing Rebecca Collis  was having....Did you two by any chance find out what was going on there?
    Or
    Please go to Preferences - General and enable "Allow scripts to write files and access network". This should make it work. Brilliant! Thank you so much! Going to fiddle with it for a bit and most likely purchase later! The style of Origami's promo video is pretty close to what I was going for. Looking forward to the rest of the tutorials! Keep up the amazing work and super fast support ;)
  • Hi, I just installed Origami and allowed it in preferences, but when I try to apply the Effect to a layer inside my comp, nothing happens wen trying to create mesh or animate it. Am I missing something obvious? :-) Thanks!

Mas OS X running with AE CC 2015.
  • Hi, I just installed Origami and allowed it in preferences, but when I try to apply the Effect to a layer inside my comp, nothing happens wen trying to create mesh or animate it. Am I missing something obvious? :-) Thanks!

UPD. Sorry, Erin. There's been a bug in our latest release file. Please first add a mask to the layer (double-click "Rectangle Tool" – it will add a mask around the layer). Sorry for inconvenience, it's almost fixed already
  • Nik Ska said:
    Hi, I just installed Origami and allowed it in preferences, but when I try to apply the Effect to a layer inside my comp, nothing happens wen trying to create mesh or animate it. Am I missing something obvious? :-) Thanks!

I can't understand what you're doing from the description. Please make sure you're doing everything as described in the tutorial, if that doesn't help, please submit a support ticket
    Thank you for the quick response. I installed a trial version, so maybe that has something to do with it. I'm sticking to the Basic mode and trying to create the triangulation mesh (masks) on a .PNG image asset and animate it, but clicking the button yields no action. I followed the installation section for MacOS, and I made sure scripts were enabled in preferences.  The Origami does show up in Windows and Effects inside my AE. It just doesn't do anything when I click it to apply it to something. 

• Erin Holt said:

Nik Ska said:

Erin Holt said:

Hi, I just installed Origami and allowed it in preferences, but when I try to apply the Effect to a layer inside my comp, nothing happens wen trying to create mesh or animate it. Am I missing something obvious? :-) Thanks!

I can't understand what you're doing from the description. Please make sure you're doing everything as described in the tutorial, if that doesn't help, please submit a support ticket

Thank you for the quick response. I installed a trial version, so maybe that has something to do with it. I'm sticking to the Basic mode and trying to create the triangulation mesh (masks) on a .PNG image asset and animate it, but clicking the button yields no action. I followed the installation section for MacOS, and I made sure scripts were enabled in preferences.  The Origami does show up in Windows and Effects inside my AE. It just doesn't do anything when I click it to apply it to something. 

UPD. Sorry, Erin. There's been a bug in our latest release file. Please first add a mask to the layer (double-click "Rectangle Tool" – it will add a mask around the layer). Sorry for inconvenience, it's almost fixed already
  • Actually one more question - can you tell how you made the different pieces within your Origamis switch their respective colors all the time?
    Like they're shining like this diamond and the illusion is created because they constantly change color and brightness... how did you achieve this? )
  • Actually one more question - can you tell how you made the different pieces within your Origamis switch their respective colors all the time?

Like they're shining like this diamond and the illusion is created because they constantly change color and brightness... how did you achieve this? )
    We made a one layer shape, duplicated it a bunch of times and then recolored them with the same setting. Then we added opacity transitions.
  • Oh wow, you mustve had sooooo many layers :D Thanks, thought there was an easier way! )
    Nik Ska said:
    Actually one more question - can you tell how you made the different pieces within your Origamis switch their respective colors all the time?
    We made a one layer shape, duplicated it a bunch of times and then recolored them with the same setting. Then we added opacity transitions.

• @Nik Ska Re: BUG

Super, got it working! Now, I see your convo with John Kirksey and it makes sense. Thanks so much for the speedy response!
  • it would be cool if you would make it so, that if multiple already broken layers are selected, and you hit "create mesh" again, they all get broken once again.
    right now if you select multiple, only the first selection will get broken :(
  • it would be cool if you would make it so, that if multiple already broken layers are selected, and you hit "create mesh" again, they all get broken once again.
    right now if you select multiple, only the first selection will get broken :(
    Hey,Christoph! Cool idea. Will definitelydo it for the next update
  • Hi Nik,
    really excited by origami - bought it this evening but can't seem to get it working/installed properly
    the panel shows but it is empty and I can't launch it - any thoughts?
    many thanks
    mark
  • mark owen said:

Hi Nik,

really excited by origami - bought it this evening but can't seem to get it working/installed properly
    the panel shows but it is empty and I can't launch it - any thoughts?
    many thanks
    mark
    Hi, Mark. Please open a composition first and then launch Origami. This is the bug, we're working on it
  • got it - many thanks
    good luck with the update!!
    mark
  • Hi,

for me the script doesn't work. It says: 

"Unable to execute the script on line 148. Unable to create temp. image file".
    "AEGP Plugin Origami: Unable to create temp. image file"

Mac, AE CS6, allowed Scripts to write files…
    Pls Help, thanx