Obsessive Layers 2
  • looks very handy. simple interface and tutorial. good job! 
  • I've tried putting this in my Scripts folder as well as ScriptUI Panels and it doesn't show up in either place. I'm running 2015.3 on a Mac. 
  • Hey! really nice job!....BUT... Why is not an stackable panel?
  • Make this trim to visibility (being in frame) for 2D and 3D layers and I'll pay twice!
  • you totally get me - I love this!
  • Lovely stuff! Just one feature request - trim to layer above/below would be super handy :D
  • Any chance we could get a headless version for FT-Toolbar?
  • Lovely stuff! Just one feature request - trim to layer above/below would be super handy :D
    This would be great; trim to CTI (Current Time Indicator), would be choice since it would cut the need for using the ( Alt + ] ) or ( Alt + [ ) altogether. Really getting a lot of use out of it regardless; thank you so much for this!
  • is there any way that I can trip to above or below?
    can you add it to the next update pls?
    thanks
  • WOW it works!
  • The utility of this tool is degraded by it not being a dockable panel. That said, it saves enough time that its obnoxious floating hasn't made me uninstall it. 
  • Adam Meek said:
    The utility of this tool is degraded by it not being a dockable panel. That said, it saves enough time that its obnoxious floating hasn't made me uninstall it. 
    Hey Adam - It is dockable if you launch it from the Window menu. Give it a shot that way, and I'm sure you'll be a lot happier with it! 
  • Hi, is it works with latest ae cc2018?
  • How do I set this up in FT toolbar

• How do I set this up in FT toolbar

Hey Bill ... it's probably easiest if you watch the FtToolbar tutorial. That explains it very well. I can't seem to link to it directly here, but if you search on google for FtToolbar tutorial, you'll see it. 

• Great script! Add additional Settings-"Add frames"
    Sometimes the marker (KEYFREIM) does not represent a "End transaction". 
    - {25} Add frames in
    - {30} Add frames our
    {**}
     So that you can set your own values in the settings
    Alt/Ctrl/Shift - 
    And that when you press the icon and hold the button together, these frames are added

Pleeeeeeaaaaaaassssssseeeeee - really need this setting....

• I use this script everyday. What's the outlook on a vertical layout for the icons mode?

Thank you,
    Brien
  • I use this script everyday. What's the outlook on a vertical layout for the icons mode?

Thank you,
    Brien
    Hi Brien - so glad you like the script! For that to work we'd have to change the radio buttons "In", "Out", and  "In and Out" to icon buttons, which we think isn't quite as clear and easy for this tool. However it's snap to do that by using KBar, which we now support. Have you tried that?
  • Ed None said:
    Hi, is it works with latest ae cc2018?
    Yes it does!
  • Hi, can we have ability to arrange icons in line as ver.1 ?

i loved ver1 design more . specialy its bluish icon color.

Please ,i hope to find an option to auto arrange icons as panel size changes .
    It will be a fantastic option .
    with replacing white color with Blue color :)

thank for this wonderful script
  • Hello! I also want to request the ability to arrange the order. I almost never use the ones on top, and on a limited screen space the time saved by your awesome script is lost by resizing windows back and forth just to get down to the buttons...

Thanks!
  • Just purchased this assuming it was compatible with 2019 and now see that it's not.  Any ideas when we will see an update that supports 2019??  I'd like to be using this in my workflow.

Thanks
  • Just purchased this assuming it was compatible with 2019 and now see that it's not.  Any ideas when we will see an update that supports 2019??  I'd like to be using this in my workflow.

Thanks
    It does work with 2019 -- we just hadn't updated the version number here on the aescripts page. Apologies for the confusion. Go ahead and give it a try! Thanks!
  • Nice tool thanks!

Would it be possible to combine "trim to visibility" in to the "trim to keyframes" command? I almost always have lots of layers fading up or fading off with transparency keyframes, and also having position, scale, etc on those same layers - but you can't use the trim to keyframes command on any layer with transaprency keys or it just cuts off the in/out points blindly to keyframes - even if that layer is supposed to remain visible.

Or maybe this is already possible?
  • Thanks Mike! Glad you're liking the tool.

So, Trim to Visibility and Trim to Keyframes are already linked in some way. 

"Trim to Visibility" will trim your layers when they fade down to 0% opacity (or when they go to 0% scale). 

"Trim to Keyframes" will trim your layers by ANY keyframes, including opacity and scale. A main difference is that Trim to Keyframes will trim to (just say) the last opacity keyframe even if it's not 0. Other than that, they are similar. 

It all depends on what property you want to use for the trimming. If you want a layer to stay "untrimmed" after a 0% opacity keyframe, because there is more animation coming up, later -- use Trim to Keyframes, not Trim to Visibility.

Unless I'm reading your question wrong, it should work the way you want. Thanks again Mike!
  • Let's say I have 50 layers, and each layer has a mix of position, rotation, scale, and transparency keyframes, and I'd like to clean up all of them. If I choose "trim to keyframes" it will mess things up because if a layer goes from 0% to 100% transparency it will cut the layer off at that last keyframe even though I want that layer to stay visible. If I choose "trim to visibility" it will only trim based on the transparency value, leaving all of the other aspects untrimmed, and not really cleaning up the timeline that much. It seems like in most cases you'd want to do both at the same time - but as it is we need to choose one or the other.

If it could trim to keyframes, but also intelligently respect whether or not a layer should be visible or not based on the transparency keyframes it would be a miracle. As it is it really can't be used in a mixed pos, rot, scale, transparency layers.

Or am I missing something?
  • Hey Mike! Thanks for your reply. Here are my thoughts.

"If I choose "trim to keyframes" it will mess things up because if a layer goes from 0% to 100% transparency it will cut the layer off at that last keyframe even though I want that layer to stay visible."

In this case, since you want the layer to stay visible, I don't think you want to be trimming the layer at all -- or you only want to trim the first Opacity keyframe. If you want the layer to be visible down the line, keep it untrimmed. If you want to trim only the start, press the In button before Trim to Visibility. That should do the trick.

"If I choose "trim to visibility" it will only trim based on the transparency value, leaving all of the other aspects untrimmed, and not really cleaning up the timeline that much."

In this case, if your layer's opacity goes from 0 to 100 and you trim to visibility, it will trim the layer to start at the 0% opacity keyframe. If you have keyframes on other properties ahead of the opacity 0% keyframe, then those keyframes will be ahead of the trim in time. 

However, since the opacity was at 0%, the layer was already effectively off there. You trimmed it to the parts where it will be visible. Having the layer on or off before the 0% opacity keyframe doesn't really change a lot. So it sounds like the Trim would work the way it was intended, unless I'm not understanding.

"
    If it could trim to keyframes, but also intelligently respect whether or not a layer should be visible or not based on the transparency keyframes it would be a miracle. "

From what I can tell, I think it already does this! You just have to know which trim to use, when to use In, Out and In & Out, and when maybe you don't want to trim at all. 

Thanks again Mike!!
  • Thanks for being so responsive about this! In reading your response and playing around with the script more I realized a more clear way to phrase what I think would be great.

I think it boils down to needing to understand on a per layer basis whether to trim to keyframes or trim to visibility. Not a problem if you have 5 layers - just go one by one. But if I have 20, 30, 100 layers (some with transparency keys others without) it would be so great to simply select them all and hit "trim to keys with smart transparency" and have all 100 layers trimmed to keys, while also having those specific layers with 100% transparency keys on one end not trimmed.

Again thanks for being communicative! I hope my wish for the script makes sense!