• imageBoardfish

Boardfish is a stand-alone page layout application for Mac only designed specifically for the purpose of storyboarding.This app is Mac only, there is no windows version. System Requirement: OS X 10.7+. 

https://aescripts.com/boardfish/

• This piece of software is exactly what i was looking for! Doing it in indesign is ok, until the client want to add some scenes. But... you guys were probably expecting this comment, but i would really love to see a Windows version. Is this in the making?
  • Hi Willem! Super excited to see your post only a few hours after we launched! Happy to see you understand how valuable of a tool Boardfish is. 

We developed Boardfish as an in-house tool after years of frustration with InDesign (even with custom scripts) and other off the shelf software, and now decided to share it with the world. We considered building it as a web-app, but due to confidentiality requirements from our clients we need to keep our panels and captions local so we built a native OSX application (our sister company Swordfish is a Mac-based studio). We're looking forward to continuing to develop Boardfish and productize our other internal tools through Mekajiki, and a Windows version of Boardfish is on the roadmap assuming we build up enough interest in the product.

Thanks again for your kind words and support! 

- Matt Silverman
      Mekajiki
  • Well, you've got another customer ready for your Windows version! 

It looks great! Now, let the rest of us use it too!
  • Looks very useful. Guess I shall wait until you join the rest of us in professional computer land; a land the good ship mac long since left and lost the map back to. Can you get Arri to huury up as well. And Divergent Media.
  • Looks really cool and useful, bravo.
    Just... well... price is a bit high maybee...

• Looks really cool and useful, bravo.
    Just... well... price is a bit high maybee...

Comparable online services charge a monthly fee which surpasses the cost of Boardfish very quickly. We feel this is a very competitive price for what you get.
  • Hey nice Tool. Do you plan to release a Windows Version - and if so, when will that be?
  • Hello, this looks fantastic. One question: How can clients make comments on the boards without having to print them out? Could you add a feature to export to Google Docs so clients could comment online? 

Thanks. 
  • Hi Trevor,
    Thanks for the kind words. You can export your boards to a pdf then send that to your client. They can then mark it up as they would with other pdfs in Acrobat or Preview, or you can upload the pdf to Google cloud. We purposely made Boardfish a stand-alone app off the cloud since our internal clients are very sensitive regarding security. At this time we don't plan on adding direct support for google's cloud. 
  • Hey guys, awesome work on this... works exactly as you'd expect it to. Just when I thought it couldn't do something, turns out I just wasn't looking hard enough (couldn't figure out how to save a custom template/preset) but I just saw save in the list. 

Totally worth the $99, easily saves you time the first time you use it, then pays for itself over and over again never having to mess with indesign or googledocs. 

Only little thing is that it seems to be really slow to redraw the UI when you resize the program window, does not seem super smooth like you might come to expect from a native Mac app. Is that just me, or just a byproduct of how it's built that makes it behave this way? Not a dealbreaker by any means just curious.

Thanks!
    Jordan

• Hi Jordan,
    Thanks for the kind words. I'm stoked to see you see the benefits... getting off InDesign/GoogleDocs was the main reason we developed Boardfish.

We have been looking into making Boardfish snappier and hope to have an update soon that addresses this concern. 

Thanks again!

-Matt
  • Wow, how did I ever live pre-Boardfish? I've already completed 2 storyboards with this in a week since I purchased and its been a huge time saver from the way I worked before. Beyond saving time, I love how easy it is to re-arrange the boards through dragging which has been a useful part of my creative process even in the style dev phase.

Feature request: very very basic drawing ability to sketch out ideas directly on the boards rather than importing images from Photoshop.
  • Hi Chris,
    Glad you are liking Boardfish! Trying to get a paint system into the app is a bit of a chore, and we'd rather focus on more page layout features at this time. But we'll add it to the to-do list for future dev!

Thanks again,
    Matt
  • This is so incredibly useful and I'm not sure how I ever worked without it.

Feature request! Sometimes I like to put captions on the top and bottom of a frame, instead of only on the bottom. That functionality, along with the ability to format the two caption boxes with different fonts, colors, etc, would make this program basically perfect.

EDIT:

I've been using it for about a week and I'm seriously mad at myself for not buying it sooner. I am saving so much time with Boardfish, it's insane.

Another thing I'd love to see added to this is the ability to format different caption boxes differently. I do a lot of animation storyboards so I have the top caption as the voiceover and the bottom as a description of what's happening in the frame. It would be great to be able to make the VO caption italicized but there's only one font control for all the captions.

Another feature that I'd love to see is the ability to use icons instead of caption headings. For example, a microphone for the VO and a play button for the description. A workaround I've figured out is to just use an icon font for the caption heading but it would be so great if this was built in.
  • I'm having some issues with not being able to the use a Title Page... when I try to add one, it won't let me edit the text, and then it throws this error and you're unable to save and have to close the app and re-open it. 

is 1.0.5 the most current version still?
  • Hi Jordan,
    Sorry to hear about this. Please submit a ticket through our website and Brendan will get back to you tomorrow when he's back in the office. Just click the little help icon on the bottom right of this page: https://www.mekajiki.com/boardfish/support/

Thanks!
  • Interested in this... I was kinda looking for a thing that doesn't exist as far as I know, a tool like this that also has an iOS version that syncs. Any chance you're going to extend to iOS? :) 
  • Hi Skye,
    Thanks for your interest in Boardfish. We built it for our studio's production needs and do not use iOS for this type of work, so we do not have any plans to port. You could VPN to a Mac from an iPad and use it this way, but it may be clunky. 

Regards
    Matt
  • I miss Boardfish... I have yet to find a piece of software that does what Boardfish does. Has anyone found a decent alternative?
  • I miss Boardfish... I have yet to find a piece of software that does what Boardfish does. Has anyone found a decent alternative?

Storyboard Maker 

https://aescripts.com/storyboard-maker/