Duplicate Frame Remover
  • Hi,

I'm having problems with the script, as it doesn't finish the operation, leaving hundreds of frames left with no processing at the end of the comp. No error message, either. I'm running After Effects CS5.5, in a Mac running Lion, and the comp is 4'30" long. 
  • I'm having problems with the script, as it doesn't finish the operation, leaving hundreds of frames left with no processing at the end of the comp. No error message, either. I'm running After Effects CS5.5, in a Mac running Lion, and the comp is 4'30" long. 
    I was surprised at first too, but actually it's normal: the resulting footage is shorter (much shorter even if there were many duplicated frames), so the space at the end without keyframes is the amount of time you gained from removing duplicates (although it would be nice if the script would automatically crop that part).

Also, I noticed the compatibility tab only mentions CS3 and CS4, but it worked fine for me on CS6 :)
  • I am trying to use this script with AE CS5.5 and this is what happens:

it seems to be only "looking" at a part of the whole comp (mostly at the start) then just finishes with a final time remap keyframe at the end of the comp. As such the script is not working as intended. I have been looking all over for a quick and dirty solution to getting rid of duplicate frames making my choppy footage usable. This script is the only one that seemed to be able to pull it off. 

Is this script still being updated? please help me out with this. 
  • Are you using the Region of Interest feature? Have you watched the Tutorial video to learn how to use it?
  • I've tried playing around with the Region of Interest feature and I did watch the tutorial. As far as I can see happening when applying the script: It doesnt run the full footage all the way thru. So the script seems to be working its magic and it shows with lots of keymarkers being added at the start of any vid and then there is a big gap (no markers whatsoever) and then a final marker at the end of the vid. So the processed clip shows smoother animation (with the dupes stepped over) and then its a long freezeframe (bridging the gap between the the first batch of markers and the final keyframe at the end)

a bit like this:
    xxxxx----------------------------------------x

x =keymarker

I've tried with different clips (5 sec, 20sec, 2 min, 4 min) and it does that same thing on all of them.  

now I am not that familiar with AE but you cant remove the final marker at the end and select a new range to process, you cant rerun the script at all to get the whole vid processed. I am open for any loophole or workaround possible. But in its current state, the script is useless.

I hope you can have a look at it and try to fix it so that it is compatible with CS 5.5

thank you for your reply and hope you can make it work. 

• Sounds like you might be running out of memory.  This is an After Effects issue independent of the script. I would break your footage down into shorter clips and process them that way.  AE requires a lot of RAM so not sure how much you have in your machine but the more the better.
  • I've tried playing around with the Region of Interest feature and I did watch the tutorial. As far as I can see happening when applying the script: It doesnt run the full footage all the way thru. So the script seems to be working its magic and it shows with lots of keymarkers being added at the start of any vid and then there is a big gap (no markers whatsoever) and then a final marker at the end of the vid. So the processed clip shows smoother animation (with the dupes stepped over) and then its a long freezeframe (bridging the gap between the the first batch of markers and the final keyframe at the end)

a bit like this:
    xxxxx----------------------------------------x

x =keymarker

I've tried with different clips (5 sec, 20sec, 2 min, 4 min) and it does that same thing on all of them.  

now I am not that familiar with AE but you cant remove the final marker at the end and select a new range to process, you cant rerun the script at all to get the whole vid processed. I am open for any loophole or workaround possible. But in its current state, the script is useless.

I hope you can have a look at it and try to fix it so that it is compatible with CS 5.5

thank you for your reply and hope you can make it work. 

hi again,

My initial reaction explains what I thought was going on. I was wrong as it seems. I just didnt get how the timeline displays it (time remap track). It DOES run thru the whole vid. I did some extra testing with vids and although the treshold slider is not very precise (I am working with gamefootage btw) it does a good job of tossing dupes out as intended.

So I hope people that had similar impressions can use my earlier comment to feel reassured. 

I hope your script will get tweaked a little tho. Have more control over the applied discriminators for instance. 
  • Hey there! I'm trying to use Duplicate Frame Remove in After Effects CC, and it doesn't seem to be working.

When I select the layer with duplicate frames to remove, and click "Do It!", it immediately creates a comp called "_Magnum_At_Work_", and does nothing else. No progress bar ever appears.

Am I doing something wrong, or does Duplicate Frame Remove not work in newer versions of After Effects?
  • DFR does not currently work with CC. You can check the compatibility of all our products by checking the COMPATIBILITY tab on every product page.
  • Any plans to update this script? 
    I just paid for it and didn't check compatibility first. At this very moment in time I'm feeling like software that only has this level of ancient version support should have a HUGE warning graphic. Like a big OLD stamp on it.
  • Any plans to update this script? 
    I just paid for it and didn't check compatibility first. At this very moment in time I'm feeling like software that only has this level of ancient version support should have a HUGE warning graphic. Like a big OLD stamp on it.
    Unfortunately there is very little demand for this product so don't have plans to update it soon but you can open a support ticket and we'll be happy to issue a refund. Sorry for the inconvenience.  If the upgrade is important to you, you can also commission the upgrade, just let us know when you open the ticket.
  • Okay everyone bear with me as my question is completely novice. But I'm trying to install this script, and I'm not even sure if I have done it correctly. I copied the jsx file into my scripts UI folder, but I can't seem to find the plug-in within AE. I'm running CC 2014. Is there something I'm missing?
  • Okay everyone bear with me as my question is completely novice. But I'm trying to install this script, and I'm not even sure if I have done it correctly. I copied the jsx file into my scripts UI folder, but I can't seem to find the plug-in within AE. I'm running CC 2014. Is there something I'm missing?
    https://aescripts.com/faq/how-to-install-and-run-scripts/
  • Okay great, thank you Lloyd. That definitely helped.

However, I am running into another problem. When I use the plug-in, the progress bar doesn't move at all. It's been over a half hour, and it hasn't even moved past 0%.

The clip I'm trying to process is a quicktime mov., 2048x1080, ProRes4444, and is only 0:39 seconds long. Is this normal?
  • Okay great, thank you Lloyd. That definitely helped.

However, I am running into another problem. When I use the plug-in, the progress bar doesn't move at all. It's been over a half hour, and it hasn't even moved past 0%.

The clip I'm trying to process is a quicktime mov., 2048x1080, ProRes4444, and is only 0:39 seconds long. Is this normal?
    Which version of AE are you using? Duplicate Frame Remover has not worked reliably after CS4.  The COMPATIBILITY tab shows the versions that it's been tested and approved for.
  • Hmm that is strange...When I initially downloaded this plug-in, the compatibility tab showed that it was compatible up to CC 2014, which is what I'm currently using. But now it shows it's only compatible up to CS4.

Okay well I guess I'm out of luck :/

Thank you anyways.
  • Hmm that is strange...When I initially downloaded this plug-in, the compatibility tab showed that it was compatible up to CC 2014, which is what I'm currently using. But now it shows it's only compatible up to CS4.

Okay well I guess I'm out of luck :/

Thank you anyways.
    You are never out of luck with us.  Please open a support ticket and we can get you a refund if it's not working for you.
  • Hi Lloyd, I have a need for this script again but I'm on CC 2015.  I hate to reinstall CS5.5 for a single task.  Any interest in updating this for the new versions?  I wouldn't mind purchasing a new version.  Thanks!
  • Ditto the below. I'm getting a lot of footage shot with iPhone 6s and for whatever reason both Filmic and ProCam have a tendency to introduce repeated frames. Having your script working with CC 2015 would be great help! (and yes, I've just tested it and it does not do anything in latest version of AE - I mean it does create the Time Remapping layer but it ends up with keyframes only on the first and the last frame, regardless the threshold setting).
    Thanks a bunch!
  • Hello, I'm also interested on an update. That would be great! Thanks
  • Hello, also interested in an update! Thanks Lloyd!
  • Would love love love an update to this! Just had to do this manually to a bunch of clips :(
  • Paid 19.95 -- I bet you could knock out an update in a couple hours. PLease--- or help us with another plug-in suggestion? THank you!

I have CC 2015 and CS6

james
  • Paid 19.95 -- I bet you could knock out an update in a couple hours. PLease--- or help us with another plug-in suggestion? THank you!

I have CC 2015 and CS6

james
    It is in the queue, we will get to it eventually. Sorry for how long it has taken so far.
  • Hi Lloyd
    Would also love to see an update, it's such a handy/brilliant script, hope that queue is shortening
    Cheers
    Barney
  • I'd also greatly appreciate an update to the latest version of CC. I regularly deal with laggy footage and have thus far manually removed each duplicated frame; an absolute nightmare. This is an incredible script, Lloyd. I hope you can find the time to update it.
  • Really would love to see an update so I can use this in CC.  I am using CC 2017
  • PLS UPDATE THIS FOR CC thanks :)
  • This plugin would be insanely useful in our business. Can we hope for an update someday? Thanks!
  • This would be so useful in what I do for work. Would you update it for current AE versions? I would gladly pay.
  • Script dosn't work in CC AE, but works good in CS6. You can install it in Adobe Creative Cloud, there is an option to inslall old version of AE.

I checked it in AE v11.0 and AE v11.0.4.2.
  • Here's another vote for a CC update!! Will gladly pay $$$
  • I'm literally removing duplicate frames for hours this weekend, and would pay handsomly for this to work properly. Please Please Please update. I'm throwing money at the screen.
  • We heard you and are happy to announce that a major new version has been released! https://aescripts.com/duplicate-frame-remover/