pt_OpenSesame
  • Hi Benjamin, Try setting OpenSesame's Text Encoding pref to MS-ANSI then import again. If that doesn't work, try doing a new export, edit in Excel, then import with this new text encoding. Unfortunately Excel doesn't have good support for the UTF-8 text encoding that OpenSesame uses by default, so this could be the reason.
    Paul
  • Hi

We have a process wherein we export text in 1 language & import it after updating in another language.
    Now the problem which we figured out is that while importing text back to AE, Special characters such as " or % the text is not behaving properly.

Sometimes It does not show up or other times half of old language and half of new language appears

Please check
  • Hi Rohit, I've responded to this through the support ticket you opened.
  • Hello! I'm very excited about this plugin and it can do what I need. I would like to know if it is possible to convert project created in AE 2014 CC with effects used ( Advanced spill suppressor, Key Cleaner ) and open it in AE CS 6 pro and still have these two effects applied in my project and export them as .FLV. All this I need to do because of non-existent .FLV export capability of AE 2014 CC, and these two keying tools that are not available in AE CS 6. If that is possible, I'm buying your product, thanks for your help!
  • Hi Haris, OpenSesame can only reapply the effect in the earlier version if that effect is also available in that version. Otherwise, you could prerender those layers to bake in the effects before exporting to the earlier version to make use of the FLV export.
  • I am curious how this script reacts with imported sequences from premeire? So dynamically linked sequences. Is it possible to do some of the same things you were accomplishing with other footage? My thought is to use premeire to preview footage and set the in and out points. Then use your script and a few others to build my final vid.
  • Hi Travis, I'm not especially familiar with the Premiere dynamic link feature. If the items are accessible as footage and layers in AE then OpenSesame should be able to edit them but I couldn't say if there are any issues. I'd recommend you download the trial (click Try button on product page) to check it out for yourself.
  • I tried the dynamic link feature but it would always ask to reimport after importing through opensesame.  A dialogue would pop up for each piece of footage and I would need to select them.... Not ideal.  Basically I am looking for an easyish? way to get in and out points and then give them to opensesame...  If I could do that then I am buying the script. This is why I wanted to use dynamic links.  Any recommendations?(Question #1)  

My thinking now it to bring the clips into premeire... set in and out points... then export to FCP xml...(I am using CS6 and this looks like one of the only options for export) I would then create a web tool to connect the xml and opensesame's .csv file so I could update the in and out points easily.

After that I think I just import back in the new updated csv with the new in and out points....

If you have an easier way to get in and out points that would be splendid.(still Question #1)  

BTW.... Are effects only supported in the server version of opensesame?  I would like to have some effects preplaced on containers

cheers,

travis
  • Hi Travis, I'm struggling to understand exactly what you're trying to do so perhaps if you could explain your goals rather than the steps you've tried I could come up with a solution. It would be best if you could open a support ticket so we could carry on this conversation.

Effects just aren't supported in the trial version of OpenSesame.
  • Hi there... I am exporting from CC 2017 and am getting to 3.94% Footage, then it freezes. 351 out of 361 files. Any ideas?

• Hi Brian, if you can open a support ticket and attach your project (no footage needed) along with the incomplete export, I'll take a look. I should be able to isolate the problem pretty quickly.
  • Can't send AE file (too big even without footage 1.73 gig). Exported report instead and it is not an allowed file type. Ideas?
  • Did you compress the project to a zip file first? They usually compress down a lot. Just putting everything in a zip would probably be best but again, please do it through a support ticket rather than this comment section.
  • Hi Paul
    Does it work with CC 2017 Windows version?
    Thx and happy new year
    fab
  • Hi Fabrice, Yes it works on CC 2017 Windows. You can download the trial if you want to check it out first. Happy New Year to you too!
  • Hi mr paul
    I try the trial version but when i want to export the project its stop in 4% and not work!
    Can i send the aep file with footage folder for you to test it?! (Compressed about 10Mg)
    Because i want to buy this scripts please
  • Hi Amir,
    Yes please do open a support ticket and attach a copy of the project so I can test it. I'm sure I'll be able to help you out!
    Paul

• HI - you said below it works with windows but I assume mac CC2017 too right?
  • I might be purchasing in the near future.  I'd need two copies though; one for WIndows AECS6, the other for client using Mac AECC2015.  What's the best way to go about that registration wise?
  • Hi Mark, I guess the best option would depend on whether you wanted your client to have there own aescripts account where they could retrieve their license in the future if necessary. I think if you just purchase two copies in one go it will be a single license valid for two seats. If you open a support ticket, you'll get a response from Lloyd who is much more used to dealing with questions like this.
  • Thanks Paul.  What you mentioned is most likely going to be the case particularly as I believe he's considering migrating to PC after this project is finished.

I'll submit a ticket a bit later on today then.
  • FYI, the discount for multiple licenses is only for the same user.  In my case above, each of us would have to purchase his own copy.  Sigh, but so it goes.
  • Paul,

Doing some awesome stuff with this script!! Thanks for your work.

I am trying to get a helper script running.  Currently I am importing through Open Sesame and using .tsv files.

Is it possible to setup a helper script in .tsv files?

I print out the .tsv file so I assumed there might be a way to add a line.

For example,
    Comp Name:Section 1 ID:143 FolderID:22 Width:1920 Height:1080 Resolution:1 MB:0 FB:0 Angle:180 Phase:-90 Shy:0 PreserveRate:0 PreserveRes:0 Aspect:1 Duration:29.6337509155273 FPS:29.9700012207031 BgColor:0;0;0 DropFrame:1 Label:15

is a line for a comp.... Is there a similar syntax available to tell opensesame I have a helper script or am I way off?  I looked at the help video and I see you using json.... I am stumped here...

Travis
  • Hi Travis, The helper script functionality is only available for the 'editable values' export, not the full project export.
  • Paul, That is unfortunate but thanks for answering my question. Unrelated to that.... I have several .tsv files I want to batch import. My thinking is... import through .tsv save project as and then close Is there any api for this or any convenient way of accomplishing this? Cheers, Travis
  • Hi Travis, OpenSesame Server is where it would be most feasible to do this. It is generally intended to batch alter projects using the 'editable values' option but I believe it does also allow batch importing of full project text files too. It doesn't currently offer the same option to save off a project rather than render it but this is certainly something I could look at adding. It would be best if you could open a support ticket and give me a bit more info on what you're trying to achieve so we can continue this conversation.

• hello paul.
    a question on the opensesame server (the comments dosent work on the opensesame server page...)

your script can use DIFFERENT after effect projects?
     i will have a front-end online-form with different AE projects that a user can choose from.
    when a user choose a project he wants to edit, the user fill the pictures and texts he wants to put it, and the form will generate a spredsheet (or a json file?) with the project parameters (pictures and text).

your script can render different projects?

another question, can i use ADOBE MEDIA ENCODER to render projects? or i need the after effect open on my desktop?

and a final question, can the watch folder can take data from  an URL? google drive directory mabey? or a server? or i need the from-end form to put the spredsheet generated by the user on my hdd drive in the watch folder path?

thank you :-)
    ronen.

• Hi Ronen, Apologies, I missed the notification that your comment was posted. Generally it's better to open a support ticket for these kinds of questions, and they're impossible for me to miss.
    But in answer to your questions:
    - Yes this is the kind of thing you can do with OpenSesame Server.
    - Yes you can work with multiple template projects.
    - There's a 'helper script' that lets you send renders to Adobe Media Encoder, or you can have OpenSesame Server save off projects for rendering using AE's Render Engine. After Effects does need to be running though to use OpenSesame Server, it doesn't work with the command line version.
    - It can't currently retrieve data from a URL. While you could theoretically create a helper script that would do this, it would still need to be prompted by submitting a text file to the watch folder, so the simplest thing would just be to submit the required data in this text file.
  • Hello Paul,

Thanks for your script!, it's awesome!. 

One question: i want to export a .json file from my project..., but it's not working (probably i am doing something wrong, how do i proceed to do this?!).

Thank you!

• Hi Hogarth, It's a bit hard to say what the problem is from just 'it's not working'. If you can open a support ticket and give me a bit more information about what you're trying to do, what settings you've selected and what is happening (example files and/or screenshots are always helpful too), I'll take a look. It could be something simple, or perhaps something unusual about your project.

• Paul,

This script has been so helpful for my project... I can't thank you enough.

I am considering adding render from the renderque into my workflow.

I have OpenSesame(regular)...

I see an entry for a renderque item when I export....

Render CompID:32 Start:0 Duration:54.5545545545546 Skip:0 RenderSettings:Default
    OutputModule OMName:AfterCodecs_mp4_95

I read the guide but there was no example... Can you tell me if it is possible to specify the save path via my version of opensesame?  If so could you provide an example? 
  • Hi, i exported some layers with fill effect applied.
    and the color property of the fill has some expressions on it.

after exporting it.
    all the expressions were missing
  • @wave five, hard to say without some more information so would be best if you opened a support ticket about this. Best guess, if you're running the latest version of OpenSesame and are using the Export List option, make sure you've selected Properties: Values & Expressions (not values only) from the bottom of the Export List window.
  • @wave five, hard to say without some more information so would be best if you opened a support ticket about this. Best guess, if you're running the latest version of OpenSesame and are using the Export List option, make sure you've selected Properties: Values & Expressions (not values only) from the bottom of the Export List window.
    Having the exact same issue in CC 2019, and Properties: Values & Expressions is selected. Submitted a ticket as well. This previously worked in CC 2018.
  • Just to follow up for anyone reading Nicholas' comment. After dealing with his support ticket, this wasn't actually an issue with OpenSesame or being able to export expressions. It's working as expected in CC 2019.
  • Hello Team,

I have the test trial version. When i click "show expor list" its not reaction. AE do not show a new window :( I can not test your product. What can i do?
  • Hi David, I'm not sure what the problem could be. Please open a support ticket with some infomation on what version of AE and OS you're running, and also can you confirm this is the latest v1.73 trial downloaded from the pt_OpenSesame page.
  • Problem. I have an AE projecte with 100s of Captions, each with type set using an Essential Graphics Precomp.
    When it exports, I don't see these as individual edits - or at all!

Help!!!
  • Hi,

OpenSesame and OpenSesame Server look interesting. Wondering whether it works with 3rd party plugins like GifGun, AfterCodecs and Trapcode...

Kind regards,
    Math Notermans
  • Hi Math,
    OpenSesame will work fine for all standard property types like numeric values, pulldowns or checkboxes, but you won't be able to alter effect settings called 'custom data' types, which might be things only accessible through a separate window or custom UI element.
    AfterCodecs should be fine as my understanding is you can set them up as custom output module templates in advance, which OpenSesame can access.
    As an example, the most recent versions of Particular have a dynamically changing set of properties visible depending on how many different elements are added in its designer window. The backwards compatible feature of OpenSesame would be unable to recreate those changes in a new project, but for OpenSesame Server automation it still uses the original project so all you'd most likely be doing is changing the already set up property values which would work fine.

If you'd like to trial OpenSesame and Server and check for yourself, just open a support ticket and request a trial.
  • Thx Paul. Backwards compatibility no issue for me at this point. For sure i will request a trial at some point soon...for now inventarizing the needs and possibilities i want and preparing some AE-projects for that. When im ready for trying it with Sesame i will request a trial...

Let me sketch out what i want, so you might point me to options and solutions.

I work as an online designer and developer. For a lot of clients standard learning doesnot work, they need it more visually. So im now investigating whether its possible to create a library of animated elements that match and fit together to create certain scenarios. So a client can online choose specific parts.... to simplify.... a turning cog... a piston... arrows moving...add or change texts things like that... 
    And then render his final video..

For the final rendering part OpenSesame and Server would be great for sure... Have to find ( or make ) a solution for the online library part still however..

Kind regards,
    Math
  • Hi Math, OpenSesame offers a lot of flexibility in the changes you can make to a project, turning layers on/off, replacing layers with other footage or precomps, moving layers both positionally and in time, so there are certainly ways of taking a library of elements and turning them into a tailored end result.
    It also has a 'helper script' feature which means you can add more custom functionality if required. For example it ships with an 'arrange layers' script which will shift layers so each subsequent layer's in-point aligns with the previous out-point, as it isn't always easy (or possible if dealing with new footage of unknown duration) to calculate those timings in advance to put them in the OS text file.
  • Hi Paul. Is it possible to keep timeline markers with comments in exported project? That would be super usefull for me.
    Cheers.
  • Hi Bartosz, it’s not possible when exporting a full project for backwards compatibility. I’d have to check but scripting certainly didn’t previously support adding comp markers, only layer markers. Layer markers aren’t currently supported in OS either but that would probably be do-able to some extent. I just never considered it especially important.
  • Well, layer markers would be an option too. You`ll get symbolic beer from me if You take some time to add this feature ( as I already bougth the license some time ago.. :D)
    All the best and Happy New Year!
    Hi Bartosz, it’s not possible when exporting a full project for backwards compatibility. I’d have to check but scripting certainly didn’t previously support adding comp markers, only layer markers. Layer markers aren’t currently supported in OS either but that would probably be do-able to some extent. I just never considered it especially important.

• Oooh symbolic beer. My favourite kind! I’ll certainly consider it for a future update.
  • Hi Paul, I'm currently using the trial doing some research into in-house converter from AE. But I'm running into a basic issue with trying to acquire the Layer index.
    What I've done so far is do a normal full project export, and so I've got my CSV. But in the Layer entity I expected some kind of a layer index to determine where the Layer sits in its Comp (CompID).
    I can see some Layer attributes that are associated with Values, Effect, and Shapes, but not with Layers. E.g.

```
    Effect,Name:Brightness & Contrast,Layer:13,CompID:3074,,,MatchName:ADBE Brightness & Contrast 2
    Values,,Layer:13,CompID:3074,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,PropName:Brightness & Contrast|Brightness,Property:ADBE Effect Parade|2|ADBE Brightness & Contrast 2-0001,Values:3,
    Shapes,,Layer:14,CompID:3074,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Property:ADBE Mask Parade|1|ADBE Mask Shape,,,,,Closed:1,Vertices:-318.392456054688;-929.63671875;-382.947509765625;301.96533203125;675.85791015625;1221.79345703125;372.000091552734;1173.931640625;1120.89038085938;2080.0009765625;11495.10546875;8880.0009765625;15107.99609375;1141.92626953125;10947.99609375;-6677.923828125,inTan:13.7476806640625;0;0;0;0;-14.4033203125;0;0;-13.74658203125;0;0;0;0;14.39990234375;0;0,outTan:0;0;-13.7466125488281;0;0;0;0;14.39892578125;0;0;13.748046875;0;0;0;0;-14.4013671875
    ```

I'm sure I'm missing some important concept here. If I have a Layer such as this:

```
    Layer,Name:Layer 2,ID:4394,CompID:4510,Type:Footage,Video:1,,,,,AutoOrient:NONE,,,,,,,,,Blend:NORMAL,,,UsedIn:1,startTime:0,inPoint:0,outPoint:4.70833333333333,,,,Label:5
    ```

... knowing the CompID, how do I tell determine its order in the comp?

Thanks for reading!

best,
    lernie.
  • Hi Lernie, The layers are saved comp by comp in reverse order from bottom to top layer. This is because that's the order they will then be recreated when imported (i.e. AE adds new layers at the top). So if you find all the layers with a single CompID, the first layer's index will be the total number of layers, the last will be layer index 1.

I'd be interested to hear more about what you're using it for, and if you have other questions it's probably best to open a support ticket as this comment section isn't ideal for in-depth discussions.
  • Hi Paul, many thanks for replying. I did surmise -- a couple of hours after posting -- that the order did play a significant part in its arrangement. I will open up a support ticket about another technical question.

Re what I'm doing with it: the studio that I'm working for has received a boatload of AE projects that need to be converted to Nuke (!). There have been several suggestions for tools to help the conversion process but OpenSesame is the most comprehensive one, so I'm giving the trial a quick-go and writing an object-based parser module in Python against OpenSesame's CSV. Then I will write a Nuke tool that uses that module.

As you can probably see, trying to turn the CSV to objects, the signficance of sequential reading threw me off, as I expected absolute relationships. But yes, I understand that this is an AE project. I've just understood how Values, Mask, and Effect lines are applications of those things on top of an already-constructed Composition.

My forthcoming support ticket will be about these properties, actually. :-)

Again, thanks! 

best,
    lernie.

• My forthcoming support ticket will be about these properties, actually. :-)

Actually, I looked it up in the documentation (re Property vs PropName) and found the explanation. Thanks! :-)