pt_CropPrecomps
  • Would it be possible to only crop the pre-comps I have selected? I sometimes run into problems because it tries to crop every composition. (Negatively scaled pre-comps don't come out right and some parenting causes position shifts)
  • pt_CropPrecomps is designed to be used on layers that haven't already been transformed/animated/parented such as a newly imported Photoshop comp import. That's not to say it couldn't be improved in the future to support these things, but it will produce unpredictable results if you do that at the moment (it does state this in the instructions).

I will certainly look into adding the ability to only select specific precomp layers and please let me know the full extent of any extra support you would like. Adding support for animated layers would be especially tricky and slow as it would mean calculating the bounds of all layers on every frame, and I imagine trying to intelligently deal with parenting would also be pretty difficult.
  • Hi any update on being able to just crop a selected comp ?  this would be very useful.  I often have comps in a main comp I want to crop but at the moment it goes through and crops everything,  many thanks.  ps Im using CC 2014
  • Hi David, prompted by your comment I've picked this up and started working on it again. I just need to find a few hours so I can finish it off, so hopefully I'll have an update out soon.
    Paul
  • Fantastic Script! It couldn't be easier to use. Lifetime saver 
  • Hi Jolyon, Glad to hear it was useful to you. Thanks for your support. Paul
  • Is this working on 2015.3? i just got this and it doesn't seem to work. I have a bunch of precomps that are two shape layers, and when I try to crop them, it sort of moves everything to the corner and doesn't crop the comp itself?

Am I missing something?
  • Hi Alejandro, I did find an issue recently which I'm working on an update for. If you can open a support ticket and attach a copy of your project with both the original and uncropped results, I'll test if it's the same issue and perhaps get you a beta of the update.
  • Hello Paul,

The script doesn't work on my aftereffect 2017. Do you have a solution :).

Thank for your work.

• Hi Valentin, Are you using the latest version v2.2? It does work in CC 2017. One typical mistake people make is to apply it to the comp they want to crop, rather than placing that comp into another, selecting the precomp layer and applying it from there.

Please open a support ticket if you're still having problems, giving as much information as possible about the problem you're having, and ideally attaching an example project (no footage needed).
  • CC2017. AE instantly crashes as soon as I open it. And yep, I'm using 2.2 version.

P.S: CC2018 crashes too...
  • Hi Javier, sorry for the slow response. I haven't been able to replicate your crash so far. Could you open a support ticket giving me some more info like what OS you're running.

The only thing I can think is maybe something to do with the update check that happens on launch. Go into the AE Prefs > General and click 'Reveal Preferences in Finder' then quit AE. Open The file called 'Adobe After Effects 14.2 Prefs.txt' in a text editor, search for pt_CropPrecomps_UpdateCheck and set it to false, save the text file then relaunch AE and try again. Let me know if that helps.
  • A most excellent script!! So useful and timesaving. 

I upgraded to AE 2020, and for some reason the script no longer works. I tried restarting my machine, re-installing the script, but still doesn't work.

Wondering if you're planning on updating for AE 2020?
  • Hi David, can you open a support ticket and explain in detail how it's not working. I have tested it and it seems ok to me, but maybe it's something specific about your project that is revealing some untested situation.
  • I just bought this but see now that it's not compatible with v23 of after effects.
  • I just bought this but see now that it's not compatible with v23 of after effects.
    Hi Kristi, there's usually a bit of a lag between a new AE release and me checking for compatibility, but in most cases you'll be fine to run it anyway. pt_CropPrecomps does appear compatible so I've now ticked the box that says it is.