• Hilarious, Ryan, and pretty cool too!  I'll have ten of them!  Oh, shoot!  I'm still using CS4.
  • Firstly, this is awesome!  Thanks in advance for the hours this will save me.

However, I cant get the lip synching feature to work. I've followed the instructions on the video but the mouth shape doesn't change when I create the keyframes from audio. Am I missing something?
  • Hi Gareth, there are a few things you can check for your lip-sync issue.  First, when you are setting up the rig make sure you command+left click to select all of the open mouth shapes in the list.  Make sure the video switch (eyeball icon) is enabled for the open mouth shapes.  If the sound is very quiet you will have to set the "Mouth Open Threshold" value to a lower number.  Also make sure that the open mouth layers have expressions.  Select the layers and press u, the opacity and scale should both have expressions that start with "//      Talking Head Expression" 
  • Doesn't work... no mouth or jaw animation... as if the script can't see the audio keyframes... I tried to play with the mouth open threshold in vain... what can I do to make it work ? I am running AE 6...
  • Doesn't work... no mouth or jaw
    animation... as if the script can't see the audio keyframes... I tried
    to play with the mouth open threshold in vain... what can I do to make
    it work ? I am running AE 6...
    I would first check the expressions on the mouth and jaw layers.  Select them in the timeline and press U.  If there are no expressions on the layers, try running the script again. Re-select the jaw and mouth shapes in the UI Panel and hit OK.  If the expressions do not appear after the second time you run the script please send  screen shots or the .aep project for debugging to [email protected]

• Hourra !!! Working nice now !... I just had to rename my french "Amplitude audio" layer in  : "Audio Amplitude"...
    Nice work, thanks for this awsome script !
  • I'm not seeing a slider to change the closed mouth.  Can you help me with this..? thanks in advance.
  • I'm not seeing a slider to change the closed mouth.  Can you help me with this..? thanks in advance.
    Hi Travis,  This has been fixed in Version 1.1.  It is now available for download from the talking head page.  

• Cool script, Ryan. Is it possible to kill the auto-blinking and manually animate? I need the ability to sync blinks to an audio track (not blinking at a set speed/interval, but blinking at my discretion).

• Hi Kevin,  to get rid of the auto-blink set the "Blink Interval" to be longer than the comp, something like 10000.  Then you can manually animate a blink using keyframes and the squint slider.  -Ryan
  • Works great, thanks!
  • Love this script, but I can't get it to run.

I have installed the file into my scripts folder and when I go to run it, After Effects' interface blinks as if a window has been opened, but nothing appears. Any thought on what may be the problem?

Take care and can't wait to see what else you come up with.

CHEERS.

• I have installed the file into my scripts folder and when I go to run it, After Effects' interface blinks as if a window has been opened, but nothing appears.
    Hi James,

The script file needs to go into the /Scripts/ScriptUI Panels/  Folder.  You open it under the Window menu.  For more information check out this video:

https://aescripts.com/knowledgebase/index/view/faq/how-to-install-and-run-scripts/

Please let me know if you have any more problems. 

Thanks,
    -Ryan

• What would you recommend for characters who use eyelashes? I want them to be more fluid and while I like the blinking I'd like the eye lashes to kinda of fall with the blink and then rise again. A bounce if you will.
  • What would you recommend for characters who use eyelashes? I want them to be more fluid and while I like the blinking I'd like the eye lashes to kinda of fall with the blink and then rise again. A bounce if you will.
    Hi Jack,

There are a few ways you can approach eyelashes.  The simplest thing to do is parent the eyelash layers to the respective left and right eye layers.  However, doing this will cause the eyelashes to scale with the blink, which is not always desirable.

If you would like the eyelashes to move with the blink, but not scale you need to use world position.  It's a little more tricky, but here's how you do it:

1) create a null object for each eyelash layer
    2) parent the eyelash nulls to their respective eye layers
    3) position the eyelash nulls where you want the eyelashes anchor point to be
    4) paste this expression into the position property of the eyelash layers:

pos = thisComp.layer("Null Name");
    wrld=pos.toWorld(pos.anchorPoint);
    [wrld[0], wrld[1]];

Replace "Null Name" with the name of the Null that you want to attach the eyelash layer to.  The eyelash will now be locked to the XY position of the Null object, but it will not scale or distort with the blink.

I hope that helps, let me know if you need clarification.  It seems like this would be a good feature to add to the next update.

-Ryan

• Hey, I noticed that sometimes when using this script when I play audio the mouth set will not show up. The closed mouth shows and one of the opened but none of the others. What can I do to fix this? It seems the script isn't recognizing the extra mouths. When I use the mouth slider to change mouths nothing happens. When looking at their opacity the opacity percent shows red and won't let me edit them. Everything else is normal it's just the mouths that don't seem to work.
  • Hi Jack,

The first thing I would check is the eyeball icon to make sure the open mouth layer is not hidden.  Next, make sure it has the correct opacity expression.  

If there is no expression, or the wrong expression for the opacity property, open the Talking Head UI panel.  Select the open mouth layer that is giving you a problem into the "Open Mouths" section and hit "OK"

This will re-apply the expressions to the selected layer.  If you are adding new mouths to your composition, you should always load them into the UI and run the script.

I hope that helps,
    Ryan

• The script seems to be broken for After Effects CC.

I have my Illustrator file all set up with individual face element layers and the script doesn't load them correctly in the dialog box. The dropdowns don't select the correct layers and the Face layer doesn't even show up. The expression sliders only work on one side of the face too, not linked to the other. Any help appreciated :)

— Chad
  • Hi Chad,

I see what you're saying about the UI picking the wrong layers in CC.  I will work to correct this ASAP.

-Ryan
  • Hi Ryan,

I just bought the script and it's working fine so far. But I want to install it in my new computer and delete the one I'm using in my old notebook. How can I do this?

Thanks!
  • Hi Pablo,

To uninstall on your notebook, all you need to do is delete the talking head .jsxbin file from your After Effects/Scripts/ScriptUI Panels Folder. 

-Ryan
  • Thanks for this great script Ryan... any news about a CC version ? i'm highly interested!
  • Hi Nicolas,

I am aiming to release the CC version sometime in October.
  • That's good news! thanks Ryan :)
  • Hey does this have any conflicts with the "auto lip-sync script? I'd like to buy yours for eyes and face, but for some image characters its better to use the auto lip sync script https://aescripts.com/auto-lip-sync/
  • Also need one that works with Creative Cloud
  • here is a demo I made with this script, 32 seconds long:

• Hey does this have any conflicts with the "auto lip-sync script? 
    No conflicts, you can use them both.
  • I want... but I'm on CS4 too...
  • Any ETA on a CC compatible version?  I saw you mentioned aiming for an October update back in September, but I assume you hit some snags in development.  Been holding off until there's an update, but I'd really like to implement this rig in my work!
  • Nicholas,
    Work got a little busy this month so I had to push back development on the Talking Head CC script.  If things go to plan, I will be releasing it late November or early December.  

David,
     Have you tested the trial version in CS4?  There is a chance it will work.  I have not been able to test it in CS4 personally, which is why it's not listed as compatible.  
  • Can i know how long is the trail version for? Im a design student and want to totally try this out! 
  • The trial is for 7 days.
  • Sorry to bug you (I know you've answered this before) but just binge buying because it's Black Friday and thought I'd ask; is Talking Head CC ready as yet? 

If not will the update be paid or free if you currently own it?

Thanks. Keep up the great work.
  • Hi Liam,

I'm still finishing up Talking Head CC.  Since it's been taking a little longer than expected, I've decided to make it a free upgrade for all existing Talking Head owners.  I appreciate everyone's patience.

I do plan on raising the price when Talking Head CC is released, so purchasing during the Black Friday sale will save you a few bucks in the long run.

Also, I will begin beta testing Talking Head CC this week.  

• Hey Ryan, that's great. Just went ahead and bought it. Best of luck with the CC version, looking forward to adding it to my workflow.
  • I am now beta testing Talking Head CC. Follow the link if you want to join the Beta team.

http://eepurl.com/fjxj2

-Ryan
  • can't seem to get mine to work or open. i'm confused. i'm using CS6
  • nevermind. saw tutorial. you should note you can't drag/drop folder into UI-panel. it doesn't work. it has to be only the file. i've been dropping folders into script folder and they work fine. just a note for someone else.
  • Is it possible to post the template AE file for download? I'm having a terrible time trying to get all my open mouths to work in sync. I just want to see the controls hands on. Is there anyway to make the script know which mouth is what but naming it a certain way? Thanks.
  • Hi Paul,

The upcoming CC update will handle the mouths (and all layers) in a more intuitive way.  I will be updating the documentation for the current version one more time before the CC update is released.  When I do, I will include the example project with the download.  If you're interested in trying the new improved version, you can sign up for the beta:

-Ryan
  • Hi Ryan,

I signed up for your cc-version-beta in late december, but still got no further response than a confirmation-mail.
    So I'm asking - where to download the beta?
    I allready bought Talking Head, but I'm using CC ;)
  • Hi Miguel,

I will send the latest version to the beta testers this weekend.  

-Ryan
  • Hi Ryan,

I've tested your CC-beta and it works like a charm.
    I haven't encountered any problems yet!

Here is my first test with it:

Edit:
    I have one question!
    How can I influence which mouthshapes are used, after the whole face is already set up?
  • I just bought Talking Head, and realized It doesn't work with my CC.
    So I signed up for your cc-version-beta, but I never got a confirmation-mail or link.
    Can I download the beta?

• Miguel -- Looking good, I really like how you setup the parallax on the features when the head turns side to side. 

There are two ways you can control the mouth shapes.  First, you can check the "Link Mouth Shape to Volume" checkbox which will cycle the mouth shapes based on the volume of the VO track.  When using this method, the index of the Open Mouth shapes will control the order they are used.  if you have 3 open mouths, they will be used 1-3 from quiet to loud.  

Or you can keyframe the "Mouth Shape Open" slider on the Talking Head Controls layer.  This offers more precise control, but requires more effort.

Robert --  I just sent out a beta email to the new names on the list.  You should have a download link in your inbox.
  • Hi Ryan,
         Purchased the script and signed up to beta test as well.  Got the confirmation for mailing list subscription but no link(s) to anything.  Let me know if there's something else you need from me/us.  Thanks.

Best,

Tobias

• Hi Tobias,

I'm glad to hear you're interested in the new script update.  This is probably the last round of beta testing, so you got in just in time.  I'm tweaking a few lines of code, when I'm done I'll send if out to the list.  It should go out in the next few days.

Cheers,
    Ryan
  • Ryan, I am an owner of version 1.1 and my beta of the new version has expired. The beta worked well for me, will the official release be ready soon?
    Thanks!
    -Mark
    [email protected]
  • Hi Mark,

Official release will be out by NAB.  The script is ready to go, I'm just wrapping up the tutorials and user guide.

Cheers,
    Ryan