CompsFromSpreadsheet 4
  • You can show the example to replace image on Dropzone layer? Thank's
  • You can show the example to replace image on Dropzone layer? Thank's
    Hi Marcelo,

Hopefully this is what you are asking:

Importing Files Via Spreadsheet
    You can have layers in your comps be replaced by files that are not in your project. Any layer that begins with > will be replaced by a file imported from the path specified in your spreadsheet. To get the proper path format of a file click on the "Get File Path" button located in the main compsFromSpreadsheet window. When you click this button a window will pop up asking you to navigate to your file; when you click ok the proper path to this file will appear in a window that you can copy and then paste into your spreadsheet. When the script runs it will import the file from the location specified in the spreadsheet and replace the layer. If you have the same file more than once in the spreadsheet it will only be imported once, and that copy will be used each time that particular file is referenced.
    If the file specified in the spreadsheet does not exsist, a popup window will ask you to find it.

Also, if you havent done so already, this video shows how to use a lot of the features

• Hi Michael,

I do an employee anniversary video every quarter for one of my clients with about 200 names/photos. Can your script put three photos and the names of the employees up on a "page" or is it limited to just one text field/image per comp?

I assume if I set up comp and spreadsheet appropriately, I can place as many as I see fit.

Many thanks,
    Rob
  • Hey Rob,

I think it could work.  Sorry if I ramble but I'll try to explain how I think you might use it.

have a comp named "master"

in that comp make 3 solids positioned where you want the employee pics.  Name the layers ">pic1", ">pic2", and ">pic3"

the > will tell the script that this is an import replace layer, so the layer ">pic1" will be replaced by the photo imported from the path named in the pic1 column of your spreadsheet (and so on for pic2 and pic3),

in the "master" comp make a text layer "^name"  and position and size it the way you want the persons name to appear.

you need to have a spreadsheet with the first line containing the column names so the first row of the spreadsheet is:

name   pic1   pic2   pic3

followed by the actual data on subsequent lines.  this then needs to be saved as a tab delimited text file.

when you run the script it will make a new comp for each person with their name filled in and their 3 pictures inserted.

each comp will be named after the line number of the spreadsheet that the data came from.  You could change this to have the comps named after the persons name from the field init window.

One last thing, the above scenario assumes you only have one comp in your project, if you have more than one comp you just need to put a column in your spreadsheet named "COMP" which will hold the name of the comp to be used for that line of the spreadsheet

• how many "rows", i.e. compositions can after effects even support? I have some spreadsheets easily with 1000s of rows...and would like to make something like a catalogue with one video for each....what is your advice?
  • how many "rows", i.e. compositions can after effects even support? I have some spreadsheets easily with 1000s of rows...and would like to make something like a catalogue with one video for each....what is your advice?

Hi Marko,

I think that AE will choke trying to build thousands of comps (but I have not tried).  You could find out where the sweet spot is for your system, try a run with 500, if it works try 750 if not try 250, until you find out how many comps choke your system. 

if 500 comps works fine, split your text file into 2 files of 500 entries, and run it twice.

Like I said, I've never tried thousands of comps so it may work (but I think it wont).
  • Is there a way to render the comp using aerender.exe and have the comp gets its values from compsFromSpreadsheet?
  • Is there a way to render the comp using aerender.exe and have the comp gets its values from compsFromSpreadsheet?
    not on its own.  But I think you could accomplish it with https://aescripts.com/bg-renderer-basic/

Run compsFromSpreradsheet to automaticaly build  and place all your comps in the render que, then use bg-renderer basic to send your que to aerender.exe.

I have never tried this but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.
  • Hey Michael,

For the past couple of months.. After Effects is taking about three minutes to load up your script. Have you got any idea what might be going on ?

I'm using AE CS6

And by the way.. I don't think your script is over priced at all.. It has saved me so much time it is unimaginable !!

ALex
  • Hey Alex,

what OS are you using?  Do you have any other licensed
    scripts?  Did the problem start immediately when you started using
    compsFromSpreadsheet4, CS6, or did the problems just creep up on you?

Thanks for the kind words, saving time and tedium was the reason I created the script.

Mike
  • Hi,

I'm quite interested in this script, but I'd like to know if it can what I have in mind before purchasing.

I have to create some End Packs for a TV station and they want a template where the name[s] of the show appear on screen, in front of a colored box resized to the text size. I've done this script and it's working really well, but now I need to feed the show names to this script and we'd like to get those from an excel spreadsheet.

So is there a way to link this script to the script I've created. Because if it works then I'll buy it straight away as it will save me some precious scripting time.

thanks

Nicolas
  • Hey Nicolas,

Not exactly sure what you are trying to do, but it sounds like it should work.  You can use the fully functional script for 7 days without paying.  So my suggestion would be to download it and see is you can get it to do what you want.

Let me know how you make out and if you have any further questions.

Mike
  • Cool thanks. I'll try the script once I get to that point, which will probably be in the new year, and will let you know. Thanks!
  • Hi everyone, 

Just got this script going, sort of.  Anyone have any idea why the script is putting the frame id after the extension  AE CS6, MacbookPro I7 Quad  10.8.2  the files render out as so TemplateB_28.tga00000.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Tony,

when the field init window opens (right after you select your tab-delimited text file) there is a checkbox labeled "rendering to image sequence", check this and it should solve your problem
  • Hey Mike,

I'm getting this error message.. 

You have the same value in more than one field.

I can't for the life of me work out what I'm doing wrong.. there is a lot going on.. but it seems to check out ok..

this is my text file

Render Group HOME_TEAM AWAY_TEAM Map Home Coach Home Nickname Home Population Home Fact Away Coach Away Nickname Away Population Home Fact Stadium
    South Africa v Cape Verde GROUP A SOUTH AFRICA/COUNTRIES_02.psd Cape Verde/COUNTRIES_02.psd Johannesburg_Map Coach : Gordon Igesund Bafana Bafana Population : 50.5 million Cup of Nations Runners Up 1972 Coach - Lucio Antunes Blue Sharks Population : 600,000 1st time qualified National Stadium
    Mali v Niger GROUP B Mali/COUNTRIES_02.psd Niger/COUNTRIES_02.psd Port Elizabeth_Map Coach : Patrice Carterton Eagles Population : 15.8 million Runners Up 1972 Coach : Gernot Rohr Mena Stars Population : 16 Million Group Stage - 2012 Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium

any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers.. love the script by the way !!

Alex
  • Sorry.. my fault.. I had two Home Facts....

it's still wonderful !!!!

Alex
  • Michael, 

Considering buying this, but want to make sure... will it work on Mac?  The demo video showcased Windows.

I want to use Excel information (two to three lines of text) and have that apply to lower third animations in AECS6... this seems to be the best program out there for such a thing, yes?

Thanks so much.

• Yes, unless otherwise noted all products on the site are fully cross-platform.  You can also download the free trial to try it out before purchasing.
  • How does this interact with expressions? I have expressions pulling content from a pre comp in my main comp. The content in the pre-comp is pulled from spreadsheet. How can I keep those working?
  • I worked with Eric on his expression problem and came up with a solution that keeps the  expressions working after the script runs.

He had a comp "!CAR TEXT" that had a bunch of text layers updated from the spreadsheet.  Then, in various precomps he would reference these layers in expressions like this:

comp("!CAR TEXT").layer("^feature2").text.sourceText

the problem is both items being referenced in the expression would have their names changed when the script is run.  To solve this, any comp that had an expression would have a copy of "!CAR TEXT" as layer 1 in the comp.  The expression then needs to be changed to reference the comp by layer id instead of name so the above expression would be changed to:

var c = comp(thisComp.layer(1).source.name)
    c.layer(9).text.sourceText

now everything is hard coded to layer index so when the script changes the name of the text layer and comp referenced, the expression still works.
  • Hi Michael,

Great work with this script. Each month one of our clients wants quite a complex video updated each month with roughly 40 new movies, each of which has the poster, name and ID number. I've got the script working great but the only problem that's stopping me from purchasing it is the fact it always creates a new comp. It would mean the person would have to drag the new comps in everytime to the main comp. Is there a way to disable this? 

Many thanks,

Chris
  • Hi Chris,

The reason it creates a new comp is because each column is tied to elements in your base comp.  if it didn't create a new comp for each line of the spreadsheet, it would update the layer each line and in the end you would end up with a comp that had values from the very last line of the spreadsheet. 

Hope this makes sense.
  • Hi, today when i try and use compsfromspredsheet it is saying:
    do you know why this is happening?
  • I am working with a trial version to make sure this is what I need... but I can't get it to work [insert developer eye roll, I know]. I only have two columns: firstName and nameAudio. When I click "Run compsFrom..." the Field Init window pops up. But, in the "Fields" section, I get the names of my columns but only one drop-down menu. So, I choose one, and it alerts me that I haven't selected anything for the other one... but there is only one drop down?
    Am I limited to only ONE column for the trial?

I am on an iMac, OSX 10.8.2, AfterEffects CS6
  • Bryan,

The trial version is a fully functional version of the script, there are no limitations.The field init window is where you connect layers in your comps to columns in your spreadsheet.  So if you had a comp with a text layer named ^firstName and a solid layer named #nameAudio; the field init window would show you that the columns are connected to your comp layers (if you have more than one comp in your project you need a 3rd column to hold the name of the comp to use for each line).

once these are conneccted and the script runs, for each line of the spreadsheet it should make a copy of the comp, fill in lastName with the value of that line in the spreadsheetr. It should then replace the solid named #audioName with the project file named in the audioName column of your spreadsheet.

Let me know if that makes sense.
  • I get that each column needs to be matched to a layer, but my field init window is showing only one drop down with the entire row string above it (comp,firstName,nameAudio)...

(if you have more than one comp in your project you need a 3rd column to hold the name of the comp to use for each line).

I think this might be the place where I'm confused. So, I have a comp, let's call it COMP, that has the #nameAudio layer object and the ^firstName text object. My spreadsheet has two columns, at the top of each column is the respective name for the column's content.

So, because I have two columns, I need to add a third that has the title of the COMP on every row? 
    And the spreadsheet would look like:
    Spreadsheet line 1:  COMP  |   firstName   |    nameAudio
    Spreadsheet line 2: COMP   |   John          |    john.wav
    Spreadsheet line 3: COMP   |   Jane          |    jane.wav

I was eventually able to get the firstName object to read data from the spreadsheet, though I don't remember which configuration led to that after trying to many different ways. The problem was that it read the entire string and printed it in the firstName object. So, my comp displayed "Hi [John,John.wav]" which is nearly there... but of course, the solid object wasn't replaced with an audio file. 
    And, it DOES create a new comp for every row in my spreadsheet, which is also great... I'm just having trouble with getting the field init window to differentiate the columns.

• Okay... I discovered the problem. I went back for probably the 5th time and reread the document that comes with the plugin. Then, I looked at the sample... then I realized that in all my spreadsheet ignorance... I was treating CSV and Tab-Delimited as the same thing. I use Numbers (not for long) when I need to do spreadsheet stuff, and Apple has decided that Tab-Delimited exports aren't something anyone should want. 

I moved through a Tab-Delimited workaround and created a .txt file instead of a .csv file. Columns populated appropriately, comps were made, a good time was had by all. Thank you! Sorry for the trouble everyone! Going to purchase now. 
  • I'm using v.4.05.  In the settings, for the date, I can't remove or change the separators.  I thought I was able to do this on an older version.  Anyone else run into this?
  • I'm using v.4.05.  In the settings, for the date, I can't remove or change the separators.  I thought I was able to do this on an older version.  Anyone else run into this?
    Jason,
    what happens when you try to change seperators.  I just tried it and it is working on my setup.

What version of ae are you using?
  • Hey Michael,

I downloaded the trial of this last night to a) make sure it would do what I was looking for and b) make sure it was compatible with AE CC (even though it doesn't say it is) - It is working like a dream except that it only processes the first line of the spreadsheet.  I thought I was doing something wrong but I just tried your example and it only copied and processed line 2 giving one comp.  Are you planning on a CC update and if so, is it far off.  Mandy
  • Hi there I'm also interested in this plug-in but I also run AE CC. So is ok or should I wait?

thx for the info.
  • Hi there I'm also interested in this plug-in but I also run AE CC. So is ok or should I wait?

thx for the info.
    Hi Clement,

I am currently working with Mandy on her issues with after effects cc.  On my end the script appears to work properly with after effects cc.  The best thing to do is download the free (fully functional) trial, and play around with it in cc to make sure it fits your needs.

Let me know how you make out.

• I am having the same problem as Mandy McKay.

In CC - it only does row 2.  (does that well though :-) )

Any updates?

• Hey Keith,

Glad to hear it's doing the first row ok.  I'm working with Mandy to try and figure out what is going on as her project runs on my cc setup. If you want to help out, email me your text file you are using.  Something wacky is going on with text encoding methinks between cs6 and cc.

what os are you using
  • I am having the same problem as Mandy McKay.

In CC - it only does row 2.  (does that well though :-) )
    Keith,

Try downloading the latest version.  I have worked with Mandy and the issue has been addressed in the latest release
  • I can't get the trial version to run. Executing the script produces a dialog box that says "Sorry, the license code is not valid." I deleted the jsxbin and re-downloaded, same results. Any ideas?
  • I can't get the trial version to run. Executing the script produces a dialog box that says "Sorry, the license code is not valid." I deleted the jsxbin and re-downloaded, same results. Any ideas?
    You might have a corrupted AE prefs file. You can try deleting or you can open a support ticket and we can troubleshot this directly.
  • This Script is simply AMAZING!!

thank you very much for your work, it a bit long to connect evrything i my project but then it's such a big time saver !!!

Works perfectly on CC (I don't use all the features)

Buy it without doubt if you need to update the same video with new text often !!!
  • First and foremost your script has made my life so much easier and I'm so very grateful for what you have done, I have noticed / ran into an issue and not sure how to get around this.  I have a project that has a lot of pre-comped footage that use the same text that will be taken from the spreadsheet.

Seems that there is there a limit to how deep the script will look for my text layers - as I can point it to the root comp which holds the text field and it will work, but I really need for it to build the resulting comp in the nested structure for me as this project will get new data from a spreadsheet and need to be re-rendered daily.

Is there any way around this? 
    Attached photo - text layer to be pulled from the spreadsheet is 5 deep, if I name the comp in the spreadsheet as !Led_Arrow_05 it will pull it with out issue, if I use the one above that (!Main_Led_Sceen_03) it breaks. 
    AE_5-Comps-Deep.PNG
    704 x 263 - 15K
  • I'll take a look at this Brad.
  • Many Thanks!  
  • Is there a way for this to be tied into Google Docs, or are there any plans to do so?
  • The script runs from a tab-delimited flat file that you could make from that Google Doc (just take a few extra steps).  

Give the trial a go, it was all I needed to be convinced of its power.  

• Hey Michael, 
    Any update on the nested comp issue that I had? 

Regards,
    Brad
  • Hi Brad,

Can you send me your after effects project (no actual assetts, just the after effects file) and the tab delimited text doc.

Also, if you could please let me know which line(s) of the doc don't build properly.

Thanks,

Mike
  • Michael,

Is it possible for you to post a link to the license for CompsFromSpreadsheet? I'd like to see it before making the purchase.

Thanks,

Tim
  • I'd like to see it before making the purchase.

You can download the
    free trial by clicking on the green TRY button on the product page.
  • To clarify, I'm hoping to see the license agreement before purchasing the script. Our legal department requires it be reviewed before installation.
  • To clarify, I'm hoping to see the license agreement before purchasing the script. Our legal department requires it be reviewed before installation.
    The License terms for all our products are linked below the price on every product page.  If you need more direct help you can always open a support ticket.
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions