• I downloaded this plugin to make an assessment. Like many I am searching for a viable alternative to Flash when developing animations - which in my case are used to teach science. I managed to run the plugin and export a project - however, I am now left wondering what to do to make some use of the exported xml for re-purposing online. Hopefully I will find a method.

• Hello, this is a great script and really very helpful. We're using it to help export XY data from AE to then bring into children's game apps. I'm curious to know if there is any way to allow me to make modifications to the script though? Currently, it exports more data than is required. Our AE projects simply contain layers to mark hot spots for the app which is video based. Specifically, we'd like to only export each layers in and out time in frames (not seconds), its XY position, and it's width and height. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks. 
  • Hello, thank you for the great script.
    Is there a way to get width and height of text layer? Like this:
    var r = myLayer.sourceRectAtTime(0, false);
    alert(r.width + " " + r.height);

And it seems that script outputs justification="Centered" regardless actual justification.
  • Hi Taso,

the script was developed with complete export in mind, so that's why you can't choose what to export. But if you only need a very small subset of data like the one you mentionned, maybe I can try to figure something out. Feel free to open a support ticket
  • Hi Nikolay

sadly in former versions of AE (namely CS5 and before) it's not possible to export the width and height of the text box as AE doesn't give us this info.

For CS5.5 and above, on special cases we can now have the width & height, but it would need a big rewrite on the script, and that's out of my scope for the moment sadly. I'll still have a look to see what's going on with the centered justification.

Cheers,

Seb
  • Hi! Link  http://blog.dab.la/animation-for-iphone-and-html5.htm to example using expoting xml is broken.. Please tell valid link. Or place this example in bundle.
  • Hi Maxim,

Sorry but this video was created by a user and I have no control over it, nor I have a copy of it.
    You should try to contact the video creator as he is the only one who can help you with this.

Sorry,

Hope that helped,

Seb
  • Hello!
    Is there a versioin of "XML GIbson" for After Effect CS6?
  • Hi,

this version works with After Effects CS6. Are you experiencing issues ?
  • Hi Sebastien,
    Y'day, I downloaded the XMLGibson plug-in from this site , the files it containing indicates that it only supports AE CS3 and CS4 .
    Does this plug-In supports "After Effect CC" ?
    I am planning to get XML file out of AE CC animation file .
  • Hi Tom,

XML Gibson works with AE CC. The file name doesn't specify it because it was released way before CC ;)

Cheers,

Seb
  • Hi Sebastien,

I tried to run those plugin files from AE CC -> File Menu - > Scripts option - >Run Script File .
    It shows those files but in disabled state, I could't select it . Am I doing anything wrong ?
    Is it correct way to install XMLGibson plug-In AE CC.
    I also installed a ExtendScript ToolKit .
     Please help me ...
  • Hi Tom,

Nop, you're not doing anything wrong. By default After Effects expects the scripts filles to have a .jsx extension, where as our scripts here are mostly .jsxbin.

If you're on a PC, just change the filter from jsx to jsxbin in the dialog box on the bottom right. If you're on a mac, just change the extension of the file from jsxbin to jsx.

Hope that helps,
    Cheers,

Seb
  • Thanks Sebastien. 
    It works now . :)
  • Hello Sébastien,

I am exporting an After Effects composition which references a psd with layers as footage. So each layer from the psd become a layer in After Effects. XML Gibson only gives me the name of the After Effects layer, not the After Effects layer name and the layer name in the Photoshop file. If an artist renames the layer in After Effects I don't have any way of knowing which layer it is referencing in the Photoshop file.

Thanks,
    Ernie
  • Hi Ernie,

sadly this is a scripting limitation. The source file of the layer, when accessed by a script, returns the name of the file, not the file + the layer it references inside. This is a feature that I have sent to the AE team. Will see if it happens sooner than later in AE.
  • Hey,

I made an openframeworks addon for easily importing and playing back gibson xml files.  You can grab the source code here:

Thanks for the great plugin,
    Keith
  • Wow ! That's awesome !

Thanks !
  • The tutorial link mentioned in your description is dead. Is there another place to find it?

• Sadly I couldn't find a mirror site with it. It was done by someone else than me, and it went offline without notice.

Sorry about that.
  • Hi Sebastien,

we are using you script succesfully, but we have some properties which is not exported , and also several properties which are exported wrong.

for example , the masks are exported with all keyframes equal to the first keyframe.

the text layers are exported with almost no properties ...

there is mutual opportunity here and I wonder if we can discuss this or get in touch.

thanks

Raz
  • Hi Raz, open a support ticket and I'll investigate with you.

For the text, scripting doesn't allow to export much data from it sadly.

Cheers
  • Bonjour,
    J'ai utilisé votre script mais malheureusement je n'arrive pas à importer le fichier .xml dans logic pro. Que faut-il faire pour rendre le fichier .xml compatible avec Logic Pro ?
    Merci beaucoup pour votre réponse,

Vanessa
  • Bonjour Vanessa,

Le script génère un fichier XML générique (qui peut être manipulé par un humain) qui nécessite d'être converti dans un format XML natif pour les différents logiciels tiers comme Logic Pro / Final Cut / etc...

Il faudra donc developer un script/plugin pour Logic Pro qui lui permet d'interpréter et donc d'importer du XML générique.

Bien à vous,

Sébastien
  • Hello,
    great script!
    Did you have plans to update your script with scripting improvements since script's initial version (e.g CC 2014.2's scripting improvements for text layers)??
  • Hi,

I'm looking into it. I don't know yet when I'll have the time (as I do it on my free time) but I'll be sure to let you know.

Cheers,
    Seb
  • Hello!

Does this script with AE CC 2014? I haven't been able to get it to export XML after clicking the "Export Xml" button.
  • Hi,

Yes the script should work in CC 2014.
    Could you send me an example project, along with your OS version/lang and your AE version/lang.

My email is seb (at) sperier (dot) com

Cheers,
    Seb
  • "Does this script with AE CC 2014? I haven't been able to get it to export XML after clicking the "Export Xml" button."

Im having the same problem

• Hi John,

the script should work in CC 2014, I've just tested on my Win7 Machine.
    Could you send me an example project, along with your OS version/lang and your AE version/lang so I can investigate ?

My email is seb (at) sperier (dot) com
  • Bonjour !

est-ce "normal"  que le script en version CS3 et/ou CS4  ne fonctione pas avec la derniere update de AFX  CC 2015  ? 
    merci.

il cree un fichier de 0 kb.  et me dit   " Couldn't create the file "

• Hello Baptiste,

non ce n'est pas normal. Est-ce que tu pourrais m'envoyer un email a seb (at) sperier.com avec un projet d'exemple.

L'erreur "couldn't create the file" est généralement liée à un problème de droit sur le répertoire cible. Es-tu sur de bien avoir les droits d'écriture ?
  • Hello Sebadtien!

I bought your script and all is going well except one disapointing thing: I can't find way to recognise which layer blend mode is (normal, add etc..) :(( I use AE CS5 and write parser your xml files to Unity3d and I should know which blend mode I should use for images. There're only informations about TrkMatte in the tag <layer>. For example I have these:

<layer enabled="true" index="1" name="spotlight_red_dark2.png" type="Footage" width="64" height="64" in="0" out="8" start="0" threeD="false" separated="false" locked="false" istrkmatte="false" hastrkmatte="false" trktype="None">

Could you help me?  Thanks
  • Hi Levgen,

Yeah, the actual version doesn't export the layer blending mode, but i've seen that you've also sent me a direct email, and I'm going to send you a beta version with this option for you to test.

Expect an email within a few hours.

Cheers,
    Seb
  • HI Charles Williams here.

Does this script with AE CC 2016? I haven't been able to get it to export XML after clicking the "Export Xml" button.
  • Hi Sébastien!

Your script sounds great, except I haven't been able to use it. When I click 'Export XML' nothing happens. Do you know why this happens? I have After Effects CC 2015.
  • Why i cant download this script  i buy but dont give me download link ?
  • hi....
    i have a question
    if i buy this script, which informations export for text layer with this script?? i need change font and color for text automative
    and how can i use the exported file for rendering project??
    can after effect render this xml files with aerenderer command?
    thanx
  • Any chance you have a copy of the XML to HTML5 article you referenced in your summary?  The page is unreachable.  I would like to look into a path from AE to HTML5
  • Hello, thanks for creating this script! I attempted to export an XML from my AE project in AE CC 2017, but nothing happened. Is this compatible with CC 2017 yet? Thanks for your help! 
  • Nothing's happening. It exports no files whatsoever. I literally just bought this plugin. Windows can't find the files. What's going on here? Is it just incompatible with CC 2018?
  • I purchased this script and it is not compatible with version CC2018.
    Why do not you remove this product from the site and block people?
  • Hi,

as stated in the compatibility tab of the script page, this is not compatible with newer versions of After Effects. I'm sorry about that.

A lot of people are still using CS6 and older versions of AE (because they don't want to subscribe to CC), that's why tools such as XML Gibson are still live.

You can open a ticket and request a refund.

All the best,
    and sorry for the inconvenience.

Seb
  • I am currently using this with CC 2018, and it's working great at least for my simple projects.  I start it an alternate way > going to File, Scripts, Run Script File. Change the filetype to all  *.*, choose xmlgibson_cs4.jsxbin, and it runs and exports XML (have to give permission for scripts to access disk too in  preferences). I didn't work for me initially either when trying to launch it the original way