• Swissd
    Swissd

https://aescripts.com/swissd/

Swissd is an After Effects script for creating fixed width text layouts. You can just have fun with the buzz generator and skip thru your fonts or do some serious work with it. It uses the scale property of the text layers to resizes them to fit in the same width.

• Thanks for such a great script! I used it for the crazy-fast rap parts in this lyric video and it worked great: 
  • Hi Leon,

thanks for sharing that video. Looks good. 
  • Can you make this work for Photoshop too?
  • Can you make this work for Photoshop too?
    Hi Tod,
    the thing is the way AE creates text is totally different from how PS does it. It would mean rewrite the whole script. I will take a look into it, but I don't know when. Until then, there is also a InDesign version of the script, but it has no user interface. Have a look here https://github.com/natael/swissd With that you could create your text and than just copy paste the paths. Also you could export PSD files from AE.  
    Cheers

• Just a minor question:

Does this not work on actively selected text fields? 
    ie: Is the only ways of using the plugin for custom text, strictly through .txt file and not thorough AE directly?

Would love to know. The plugin's great, just find it a little out of the way to go out of AE to get text back in AE...so I may just be overlooking something.
    Let me know.
  • Hi Ken,
    Just a minor question:
    Does this not work on actively selected text fields? 

No it does not.
    ie: Is the only ways of using the plugin for custom text, strictly through .txt file and not thorough AE directly?

Right now thats the only way.

(…) find it a little out of the way to go out of AE to get text back in AE...so I may just be overlooking something.

Yeah me to. Thats why I'm working on a update with a textfield so you can enter your text directly in AE. It is nearly done but still has some bugs. If you want to get involved write me an email or create an account on https://github.com/ and give me your username so I can provide you a buggy alpha version.

Cheers
    :fab
  • I'm having a strange problem I've never had before - it doesn't generate the text correctly. The text layer is blank, and has the scale 1.#INF both horizontally and vertically.

Any ideas?
  • Hi Paul,
    sorry for the delay. Can you provide me:
    - An AE project with the error
    - your AE version number
    - your system setup
    - the version of swissd.jsx you are using
    - the font name and if it is a free font the font if possible?

Does the error occur with any font?
    Do you use a own text file or the buzzgen?

Thanks.
    Fab
  • Hey Fabian thanks for that scripts. I just downloaded it but couldn't use. Whatever I tried for custom text only result is this :

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\cocoartf1038\cocoasubrtf360
    {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;}
    {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;}
    \paperw11900\paperh16840\margl1440\margr1440\vieww9000\viewh8400\viewkind0
    \pard\tx566\tx1133\tx1700\tx2267\tx2834\tx3401\tx3968\tx4535\tx5102\tx5669\tx6236\tx6803\ql\qnatural\pardirnatural

Did I do something wrong? Just copy the jzx file to the Scripts ui panel folder. When I run AE, everything works percetly also swissd. But after I hit read text, select a .txt file, hit swissd it this text comes. How can i fix this issue? (p.s. I tried it with different fonts)

mac os x 10.6.8
    ae cs 5
  • Hi Fabian,

I love the script, and use it all the time for a particular series of videos I work on every month. I'd like to request a feature specific to my workflow.

I use one text file that I arrange all my swissd text in, which I run through the script in AE, then repeat the process by changing the text in the file and reloading it in the swissd script. This I repeat maybe 10 or more times for each project.

What I'd love to see, if possible, is a button on the main UI (or an option to turn the feature on/off automatically in the settings) that would automatically reload the previously-chosen text file, which would save the tedious task of choosing the same text file again and again.

I can see how this could benefit anyone who uses the script frequently with custom text, as we could have one main .txt file we always use for inputting the custom text, and swissd could then automatically know where to find it.

Thanks for the excellent script!
  • Hi Jesse,
    great you like the script and nice to hear that it is used in production.
    So actually you want a reload button for the text file right?
    I'll take a look asap if I can incorporate this.

• Hey Fabian thanks for that scripts. I just downloaded it but couldn't use. Whatever I tried for custom text only result is this :

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\cocoartf1038\cocoasubrtf360
    {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;}
    {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;}
    \paperw11900\paperh16840\margl1440\margr1440\vieww9000\viewh8400\viewkind0
    \pard\tx566\tx1133\tx1700\tx2267\tx2834\tx3401\tx3968\tx4535\tx5102\tx5669\tx6236\tx6803\ql\qnatural\pardirnatural

Did I do something wrong? Just copy the jzx file to the Scripts ui panel folder. When I run AE, everything works percetly also swissd. But after I hit read text, select a .txt file, hit swissd it this text comes. How can i fix this issue? (p.s. I tried it with different fonts)

mac os x 10.6.8
    ae cs 5

Hi Ertuğrul,

sorry for not replying. I just saw this today. Looks like you are not using a plain text file. But maybe 2 years later you already solved the problem. ;-)
    Cheers
    Fabian

• Hello.  Does this work with imported text via the JSON functionality in AE these days?  Thanks.
  • Hello.  Does this work with imported text via the JSON functionality in AE these days?  Thanks.
    Hi Paul,

no it does not work with the JSON import. The script was last touched June 2015 :-)

• Hi Fabian.  Thanks very much for letting me know.