BAO Dynamic Comp
  • Can one license be used at 2 computers at the same time? Or does it have to be purchased twice in order to take the real advantage out of this script? 
  • Hi Sander!

The license allows you to install it on two machines. If you need it on more than two machines you will need to purchase a multi-user license.

Hope you like it!

François
  • Hey Leroy, Thank you for the information! 
  • Bonjour à vous deux!

Effectivement, quelque chose dans le projet empêche le script de fonctionner normalement.

Je vous tiens au courant dès que c'est corrigé.

Merci d'avoir envoyé le projet! Ca facilite le débuggage.

François
  • Voilà, la nouvelle version (v_1.1) est prête!
    Il y avait un petit bug, le script se perdait dans les sous-dossiers...
    Si quelque chose d'autre clochait, n'hésitez pas à m'en parler, ça permet d'améliorer le script!

François
  • Hi!

A new version is available: v_1.1

The script got lost in too many subfolders, now it's fixed.

François

• Merci pour cette réactivité ! 

Mais il semble que la version d'essai en téléchargement soit toujours la 1.0 ... est-il possible d'avoir la nouvelle afin de pouvoir la tester ?
  • L'update prend un peu de temps... Décalage horaire!
     Je vous dis dès que c'est prêt ;-)
  • On attend :) Pas moyen de l'avoir par mail ?
  • Ca y est, le fichier est à jour... Désolé, mais je suis au Vietnam et Lloyd aux états-unis, pas facile d'être synchros...
  • Merci ! malheureusement, toujours le même problème chez nous :/ On exporte les compositions sans problème, mais impossible de les updater :/
    On a testé sur une plus petite hiérarchie, ça fonctionne, mais il semble que la notre soit trop grande.
  • Effectivement, il y avait un petit problème de reconnaissance des noms de Comps.
    Je viens d'uploader une nouvelle version (toujours 1.1, mais elle est à jour :)

Pouvez-vous me dire si ça fonctionne? Chez moi ça marche, mais comme je n'ai pas vos sources, je ne peux pas totalement reproduire le problème ... Les messages de sources manquantes parasitent un peu l'analyse!
  • Encore merci, mais toujours des problèmes chez nous .. une modification simple à la racine s'update, mais dès qu'on opère dans une précomp de précomp, cela ne fonctionne plus ..
  • Pour les comps imbriquées, c'est normal... En fait, ça m'a même demandé pas mal de boulot pour faire ça !!

Si vous voulez updater les precomps, il faut les linker à des projets également...
    Vu votre projet, ça va vous demander un peu de boulot au début, mais après ça, vous aurez un sacré confort de travail! Chaque comp ou sous-comp pourra être updatée ou non...

Si ce n'était pas le cas, vous pourriez écraser du travail !

Et vous pouvez updater plusieurs comps à la fois: sélectionnez les dans le panneau projet et clickez "update".

Sinon, ça fonctionne correctement?

• On est pas allé plus loin qu'insérer un claque de texte à la racine ou dans une précomp pour tester l'update, donc on ne peut pas te dire ... concernant notre projet, ça serait vraiment trop compliqué de séparer puis re-linker tout, il y en a trop ... dommage ! 
  • Je viens d'updater le Guide d'utilisation. J'y détaille la procédure à suivre pour les comps imbriquées.

Car vous n'avez pas besoin de séparer toutes les comps! Il s'agit juste de les linker... sans créer de nouveaux projets. (je ne suis pas sûr que c'était très clair avant ;-) )

Si ça n'est pas ce que vous cherchez, je pense qu'une simple importation et un alt + glissé sera le plus simple pour vous.
  • Hi!

User's Guide has been updated.

You will find a new Chapter about Nested Comps and how to choose what to update.

Enjoy!

François
    pdf
    pdf
    Dynamic_Comp_Guide.pdf
  • Hi. Having a problem with bringing in footage or artwork to the reference comp. It doesn't seem to be able to update anything that I've bought into After Effects. Is this even possible, or does it only work with assets you create within AE?

Thanks,
    Ben
  • Hi Ben!

It is definitly possible to update footage, and any kind of items...

But only footage used by a "linked" comp will be updated. This is how you can link several comps to only one project, for example.

So, let's say you have a project "project_A.aep", inside it you have a comp "comp_1", linked to "comp_1.aep".

Anything added in "comp_1.aep" has to be dragged into your reference composition "comp_1" (no need to be enabled, though) in order to be updated in "project_A.aep".

The new footage will be in your updated comp, and the source stored in a new Folder, using the name of your comp.

If you still have difficulties, please tell me so I can make the "Dynamic Comp" better.

Cheers,
    François
  • Yes, that works perfectly, must have been half asleep yesterday. Thanks for your help. Really useful script.

Ben
  • Hello there!  Purchased this recently and love it but having some
    problems updating compositions on a project.  Here is the situation:

Working on a large project with about 35 different shots in it.  We exported the Shots 1-9 composition using the"export button".  I am then importing it as usual to the main project.  This all works fine, but as someone else works on the Shot 1-9 project file, I cannot get it to see the updates.  I have tried the update button and also to clear the link and relink it.  Any thoughts would be super helpful as this seems to be a great script for AE.  Thanks.
  • Hi Ed Rhine!

If your composition isn't updated correctly, you can check the following:

_is the other person pointing to the same .aep file ? (seems obvious, but it happened to me several times ;)
    _is all the footage you need used by your composition, even if not enabled ?
    _do you have another composition with the same name ? It can bring troubles...
    _if you use nested comps, do they point to your .aep file too ?
    _are you using another script at the same time? Cos' if the 2 scripts are using the same names for variables, it can be tricky... And there is 99% chances both scripts call your comp by "myComp"...
    _and last but not least, do you use the last update of the script (v 1.2) ? Cos' some bugs have been fixed...

I hope this helps. If you still have trouble, can you send me a file so I can check?
    Otherwise it's difficult to see what's going wrong...

Cheers,
    François
  • Thanks for the reply

-- we are both pointing to the same file
    -- all the footage is there
    -- do not have compositions of the same name
    -- not sure about this one -- how can I be certain as there definitely are many nested comps.  In order to assure this, I so far have been clearing a link to a comp (for example shots 1-9) that was imported after using the export composition feature on another machine.  Then relinking it to the project that was created via that export when changes have been made. 
    -- As far as I know there are no other scripts at the same time
    --  I do not and will update that now and see if it makes a difference

Would love to send you the file but collected its about 20gig.  Maybe just the one project section if I cannot figure something out.  Thanks for all your help!
  • So, Great news!  Went in and cleaned everything up a bit and updated 1.2 and all is working correctly!  This thing is awesome and should be part of AE itself
  • Thanx!

Glad to see it works for you... And I hope Adobe's people will listen to you :)

Cheers,
    François
  • Agreed, this is fantastic and something I have been waiting for!
  • is this doing something more advanced than just
    reducing a project and exporting, and then reimporting over the comp layers?
    I tried the trial but couldn't see where to import and link a comp that was recently exported from another?
    or do you just imprort the exported comp as normal and the program will automatically see it?
  • Hi Eugene,

'reducing a project and exporting, and then reimporting over the comp layers' is the basis of the script.
    But it does more:
    Let's say you have a Project A, and inside this project, a Composition B.
    When you export Composition B, it creates a Project B (that's where reducing and exporting occurs).
    But when you update the composition, it reimports Composition B from Project B, but also replaces the sources with the ones already inside Project A.
    If you've added new sources inside Project B (from Project B, or another project that uses this comp too...), the new sources will be imported in Project A.

If Composition A was not created inisde Project A, you can import it, then click 'Update'. As there is no link yet, a popup window will ask you to link your comp to a project. Just select the original project, and you're done.

You can have a look at the User's Guide for details.

Cheers,
    François
  • Does this update incremented projects? Say I have Comp1_v01.aep linked in a project then save it out as Comp1_v02.aep. Will Dynamic Comp pick up the incremented project file?
  • Hi Jon!

Dynamic Comp doesn't use incremented projects, but I'm working on an update now, and I hope it will... I'll let you know.

Cheers,
    François
  • Hi everyone!

A new version is here, with new cool features:
    _collect files
    _link nested pre-comps
    _incremented versions

Hope you like it!
    François
  • Hi Im interested in your script but wanted to check it can do what I'm after.  Can I add different animation to one linked comp ?

eg:  I have a character file rigged ready for animation, Ik hands legs, movable parts etc in a neutral pose.  Up till now every new shot I have had to duplicate this master comp and animate it, but then if the client wants to change the character in anyway, colour, look etc, I have to do this to all the duplicated character comps for every animation I've done.

So with your script can I have my master character file with No animation linked externally then import that into my main project, and duplicate for various animation shots.  But then if I want to change something in the character I can change in the master file and it will update in ALL of my shots ?  the same way Maya uses reference files,  many thanks
  • Hi David,

this is exactly what I wrote this script for! :-)

But to make sure it fits your workflow, just give it a try (you can try it for a week).
    If it doesn't, don't hesitate to tell me. It can be improved and be usefull to others.
    That's what happened with the new features...

Cheers,
    François
  • Hi Leroy thanks for the quick reply, I gave it a try but couldn't get it to work.   I exported my character comp as character_MASTER,  then duplicated this in my main project so had character_MASTER_2  ,  and 3.  I then put a bit of animation on these.

I then opened my character_MASTER that is linked and made a small colour change.  When I opened my main project again and updated the comps, the colour change had only been applied to character_MASTER.  None of its duplicates had the change applied?

when I click look for updates it says there is an update available for character_MASTER 1 and 2 and 3...so i click update , it goes through the motion, but no update is applied? apart from the original .. I'm using CC,  Many thanks
  • Hi David,

sorry, I think I misunderstood your first question.
    If you link MASTER, MASTER_2 and MASTER_3 to the same project, this project has to have the 3 comps inside.
    Otherwise, as you saw, only MASTER will be updated.
    That's because the script checks correspondance between the 2 projects by name...
    What I usually do is I use MASTER as a source, without duplicating. Like you would do with a Photoshop source: it can be used in different ways, be modified outside of AE, and then updated in AE...

But this could be a good idea to link several comps to only one... I'll give it a try and let you know!

Cheers,
    François
  • Thanks for the quick reply. It seems what I'm after is not possible yet and is needed by  other character animators, so anything you come up with I'd be eager to see.   I need to have a master character rig with all its controls etc, then bring this into my main project , then be able to duplicate and add animation, but then be able to update the master Rig file and all the animations its used in update.  Similar to how a 3d program uses reference files.  Many thanks
  • Hi David,

I'm not sure I really understand why you need to duplicate.
    Here's my workflow:
    _I make a character rig, just like you, let's call it Master.aep, containing a Master_comp, and all kind of precomps (head, arm, leg, etc...)
    _When I need this character in a scene, I just import Master.aep and animate the precomps inside Master_comp in my scene.
    _If I make any modification in Master.aep, it's updated. Here, there are 2 possibilities:
    1_if you update Master_comp, you'll update the animation according to the one in Master.aep (it's a reset).
    2_if you update the precomps only, you'll update the design, and keep your actual animation (I think that's what you're looking for).

I don't really know about 3D softwares and reference files... Can you tell me how it works? Could be interesting!

Cheers,
    François
  • Hey François,

i love the script and purchased it last week. Unfortunately the "collect files" option doesn't work. Do i have to consider anything special?

Cheers,
    Tim
  • Hi Tim,

do you get any error message? If you do can you tell me what's written? If not, can you open a support ticket and send me a file so I can check?
    But I won't be able to check before next week, sorry.

Cheers,
    François

Edit: there is one thing you should check before that. In 'Preferences -> General' make sure 'Allow scripts to write files and access network' is checked, otherwise, the script won't be allowed to copy and collect your files.
  • When you have made a animation in the main comp with a rig character and you go in to the rig it self to do some changes in it's own aep like color and save it. 
    When i then go to my main comp and update it delets all my anmation, is there something I have done wrong?
  • Hi Gill,

sorry for the late reply. It's difficult to say as it really depends on your workflow...
    Please open a support ticket and upload the file so I can check it.

Cheers,
    François
  • Does the trial have limited functionality? I am selecting multiple comps, but I only get one comp in the imported file that the script creates. Is that expected with the trial, or am I doing something incorrectly?
  • Hi Peter,

the trial isn't limited, but you point a problem I didn't think about.

For the moment, you can do it by puting all these comps into another comp (let's call it "collect comp"), then export the collect comp with the 'link nested pre-comps" option checked.
    Once you've exported the project, you can delete the "collect comp". Now, all your comps are linked to the same project, and can be updated one by one or all together.

I'll make an update as soon as possible. Thanx for reporting!

Cheers,
    François
  • Hi Peter,

I've updated the script, you can now export several comps at a time in one click.

Cheers,
    François
  • Bonjour Francois,
    first i want to thank you for your work, i really like the script.
    Unfortunately i have a problem - i'm not quite sure when to use the "collect files" and "link nested precomps" options.
    I'm working on a huge project with lots of scenes that are located as single comps in a master ae file.
    So now i just exported all comps as independent ae files to split up the workflow.

In every single ae file there is video footage, and some precomped 3d renders.
    When i'm updating the comps weird things starting to happen. it seems like i have to update the comps first, without "link nested precomps" and then with the "link nested precomps" option to get everything in the master file.

Further it seems like it wont update/import a precomp in a precomp - is that a current thing?

Hope to hear from you soon, have a nice day!
    Jonas
  • Hi Jonas,

_the "collect files" function works just like the native collect files. It will copy all the sources in a folder and use these new sources.
    _the "link nested precomps" checks if precomps are used by the selected comp (the one you export / update).

About the weird behaviour, it is difficult to tell like this... The issues you describe are not supposed to happen.
    Can you open a support ticket and send me aep files (don't need the sources)?
    So I can check precisely and hopefully see what's going on.

Cheers,
    François
  • Thanks for your quick reply!
    Is it possible to open a support ticket without having purchased the script yet?
    The thing is i really wanna buy it, but only if it definitely works with my current scene setup.

So obviously i don't have an order number now which i can relate my ticket to.

Jonas
  • Yes you can definitley open a support ticket, you don't need to have purchase in your account to open a ticket.
  • Today I've downloaded the trial version, After trying it , I think it should have an option to make a copy for the control layers "if it's available" in order to avoid the expression errors.
    what I mean if I have a project files for animated Icons , usually I could change the color of all icons from one adjustment layer because all of the icons already linked to it.
    so، when I choose one of those icons to export through this script, it should have an option to make a extra copy from this adjustment layer in order to avoid the expression errors.

Is that possible to do in next update ?