Slim Expression Controls
  • very cool!
  • Other than not having to create another entry into PresetEffects.xml, are there any more advantages over this method which is free?
  • Other than not having to create another entry into PresetEffects.xml, are there any more advantages over this method which is free?
    Hi, Klaus
    First of all, with all due respect to author, the generated code sometimes contains a bugs. 

Secondly, usability.To add or remove a Pseudo effect you do not need every time to edit PresetEffects manually. You can also edit the effects that have created before. You can apply one or more effects to the layer without writing code -just by pressing  button.

One of the most important difference  - you can create an installer, without which you will get an error at startup the project on other computers.  A project with such error will not be accepted for sale on any video stock sites (videohive etc) .  Also, the installer is a convenient way to save the effects.
  • I am having major problems with this script.

Firstly you can't add normalised ranges from say 0.00 to 1.00 as this causes an error being "Values must be ascending from left to right".
    This is straightforward with the standard AE Expression Slider.

Once I changed the slider numbers to accommodate this issue. I was able to save the effect and install getting the green all ok window.
    Only to find after relaunching AE that I am unable to apply the effect.

I was so looking forward to using this script but it doesn't seem to work at the level I require it to.

Yes I am using version 1.0.3

• Constantly getting "Demo Version" errors.

• Me thinks this is dud – constant errors
  • Hi, Trevor
    Firstly you can't add normalised ranges from say 0.00 to 1.00 as this causes an error being "Values must be ascending from left to right".
    I'm not quite sure how you get an error?

Capture.PNG
    849 x 723 - 52K
  • Whatever you do don't hit the check code button unless you want to quit AE.
    This is tedious.
  • Constantly getting "Demo Version" errors.

The file that you run should have a name
     SlimExpressionControls_v1.03.jsxbin
  • It does bother. It does say indeed say 1.03.jsxbin

I get nothing but errors.

• Oh I am on OSX by the way.
    There is no close box for the Check Code window
  • These are common errors
  • Please note you are using a demo version.
    er.png
    517 x 560 - 48K
  • Thanks to Oleg for pointing out that the version I was running was in fact the demo version.
    Not sure how that happened as I bought the script from the outset.

However, I must state for the record that all of the problems that I was having seems to stem directly from using the demo version.

Thanks to Oleg for sorting that out so quickly.
  • Hi Oleg,
     sadly this doesnt work in AE CC for me,
    -unable to execute script at line 8. After Effects Error: The section name and key ( main Pref Section,Pref_JAVASCRIPT_DEBUGGER)could not be found in the preferences.

Any ideas to get it working ? Will it work?
    cheers
    shane
  •  Hi Shane
    Thank you for your message, I'm working on it.

• Thank you Oleg !,
    seems to be working fine now
    shane
  • Hello,

Just purchased the script and i have an error when trying to "Save Effect". It says: "Installation error can't create temp.xml".

I tried this on CS5 and CS6 on Win 8 and it's not working.

Any help?

Thanks!
  • Hi Momcilo
    Try Right-clicking on the AfterEffects and choosing “Run as administrator” option, even if you are
    logged it as Administrator
  • Hey Oleg, that worked but now when i try to add effect to a layer it says this: "You can't add effect to the layer 
     Try to restart After Effect".

Any ideas?
  • It's working! I had some leftover code in PresetEffects.xml that had bugs. Thanks for the script! Best 40$ i ever spent! :D
  • Does this work for CC?
  • Never mind, that was a dumb question.  Overlooked the "Try" button to find out myself.  Sorry. I've tested it in AE CC and so far it works fine.  
  • I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious here.  Managed to create a perfectly working script and template file in AE CC.  However, it ONLY works in CC. Tried in other versions and it will not open.  How exactly can I make this work for other users that don't have CC?
  •  However, it ONLY works in CC.
    Hi Tobias
    What is the exact error that is returned?
  •  However, it ONLY works in CC.
    Hi Tobias
    What is the exact error that is returned?
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/zmhqvbx9z7jp7zt/AE CS6 SEC Error.JPG

On another note, is there a way to invert slider values for cases where we want to go from a greater to lesser value from left to right?
  • p.s. That last error was when the user attempts to open the AE template file that was created.  Same thing happens on a regular project file.
  • Tobias
    My script does not make any changes to the  AE (*.aep) file  so this error is not caused by the script.

After Effects CS4 , CS5.5 ,CS6 can't open files created in After Effects CC
    Use  to develop your project earlier versions of the After Effects

--
    Oleg
  • Tobias
    My script does not make any changes to the  AE (*.aep) file  so this error is not caused by the script.

After Effects CS4 , CS5.5 ,CS6 can't open files created in After Effects CC
    Use  to develop your project earlier versions of the After Effects

--
    Oleg
    Ok, understood.  So it's best to start new scripts in the oldest version possible since it will generally be upward compatible.  I also solved the invert slider issue.  Seems you have to just do that at the linked expression level.  Thanks for your quick responses.
  • Slim Expressions Just crashed my project therefore corrupting it, lost four hours work :( my stupid fault though my could storage normally archives files when they are over written but for some reason it hasn't since last night :(

Any way this is the error I am now getting

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
    Naim
  • Naim
    Please send me your project (only *.aep) and PresetEffects.xml (placed  in Adobe After Effects CSx\Support Files\PresetEffects.xml).

[email protected]
  • Hi Oleg,
         I'm writing a script wherein one of the layers that gets created needs the pseudo effect created by your script to be added to the layer.  I have no idea how to do this.  Can you advise?

Create solid -> add "my pseudo effect" -> done.  :-)

Best regards,

Tobias
  • Hi Oleg,
         I'm writing a script wherein one of the layers that gets created needs the pseudo effect created by your script to be added to the layer.  I have no idea how to do this.  Can you advise?

Best regards,

Tobias
    Tobias
    Something like this

var curItem = app.project.activeItem;
    var curLayer = curItem.selectedLayers[0];
    app.project.activeItem.curLayer.effect.addProperty("YourPseudoEffect");
  • Hi Oleg,

Best regards,

Tobias
    Tobias
    Something like this

Great I'll try it!  Thank you so much for the quick replies!
  • Hi Oleg,

Best regards,

Tobias
    Tobias
    Something like this

Great I'll try it!  Thank you so much for the quick replies!
    Just wanted to share the success.  All that's needed is to add the following line AFTER the layer creation line in the code.

myLayer.Effects.addProperty("My Pseudo Effect");

Tested and works perfectly. :-D
  • Naim
    Please send me your project (only *.aep) and PresetEffects.xml (placed  in Adobe After Effects CSx\Support Files\PresetEffects.xml).

[email protected]
    Hi just to let you know, I emailed you the files a few hours ago.

Thanks
    Naim
  • Naim

[email protected]
    Hi just to let you know, I emailed you the files a few hours ago.
    ThanksNaim
    Of course... In the spam folder :)
  • Damn Spam lol

So for some reason, when I attempt to edit an effect and restart AE for it to take affect, the uncorrupted file is now showing the same error.
    Below are two other messages that show up

When I remove the effect from the XML the project opens perfectly... Very strange...

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Naim

• Naim
    Did you receive email from me?
  • Hi, sent you an email a few days ago, it might have went straight to your junk though, could you check please?

Thanks
    Naim
  • The proper way to get direct support is to open a support ticket.
  • Hi Oleg,
    it would be great if we could assign text ( or even better images), to the 'about' section of the cutom plugins,
    is it something that could possibly be considered in a newer revision ?
    cheers
    shane
  • The proper way to get direct support is to open a support ticket.
    Thanks, just submitted a ticket! :)
  • 1) I need to add Groups and of course Expression Controls to an existing Control Effect. It's a real pain in the backside to click on each item when I need to add controls with Slim Expression Controls. What's the best way to edit? Can I use an external script editor? 
  • Llyod, I need to submit a ticket BUT half of my aescripts UI is in Japanese! I have absolutely no idea where to click to get a ticket. 

I've attached a screen grab of my error. I'm also on the latest version of AE CC (12.2.0.52). and V1.0.6 of Slim Expression.

Thanks!
    - Roland
    CantAddEffectToLayer_error_Dec23_2013_Roland.png
    1920 x 1080 - 199K
  • I need to submit a ticket BUT half of my aescripts UI is in Japanese! I have absolutely no idea where to click to get a ticket. 
    Please click on this link to get the site to switch back into english.  And please submit a support ticket for direct help.
  • any chance yet to get 3D point controls added to this please?
  • Hello there!

Is it possible to create a dropdown menu as an expression control? I know there is no such thing among regular expressions controls. The closest I got to this kind of behavior (choosing one thing from many available) was by using a bunch of checkboxes and expressions, but it's far from being perfect.

Thanks!