Explode Shape Layer
  • A freaking brilliant and much needed script. I've had the benefit of working with Zack on a film last year, and being able to play with this for a while - It's something I wish I'd had a long, long time ago. The addition of the center anchor points is a gigantic time saver. This is highly recommended for people who work with Illustrator, vectors and or shape layers but always found them a bit clunky. 
  • Great! Not only the functionality also its simplicity.
  • It's still great but you have an error in version 1.0. Right now the options group is empty and the checkbox is below the options panel.

win.centreOption

Should be a child of

win.optionGroup  

• Hey Fabian!

Thanks for pointing that out. Caught it right before going live and though I'd uploaded the revised version-- seems I hadn't! Fixed & up now in 1.1.

Let me know if it works!
  • Jepp. Now it's fine. Thanks.
  • This is seriously one of the most useful scripts I've ever purchased! Works perfectly and has saved me sooo much time working with Illustrator files from clients, thank you thank you thank you for making this script!! I purchased twice because I felt like it was worth so much more to my workflow. Thanks again!
  • Thanks for making this very nice plugin ! Its saving me tones of hours, since I bought it last evening.
    one question: Its not a big deal, but it would be great to be able to have a vector shape made in Illustrator and that got edited with the "Live Paint Bucket Tool" and the "live Paint Selection Tool", behaving like a normal vector shape from Illustrator, inside AE.

All shapes edited with "Live Paint Tool" and "Live Paint Selection Tool" are not showing in AE after hitting the Explode Button and they have a boundary box.

• Hey Mathieu!

I've been trying to replicate this myself, and I don't quite get the same result-- could you detail your process a bit further, or (even better) send along the AI file you're working from (if it's not confidential)?

In my testing, I've found that sometimes when converting a live-painted shape to a vector layer, it doesn't always convert properly (missing random patches and stokes) though when exploded it behaves as it should.

Let me know if you can send that file! Would really appreciate it, to get this patched up for ya; if you'd prefer, email it directly to me at [email protected] and we can get this figured out.
  • Hi Zack,

Thank you for responding to my questions in the comments section of your Explode Shape Layer, AE script.

I have just sent you an email of a .pdf with screenshots of the steps that I took from AI to AE, so you could see clearly what I was trying to say in writing.

Best,
  • Very useful script Zack! Thanks!
  • Thanks, George! If you ever have suggestions or thoughts on how to improve it all the more, let me know!
  • Love this script! A very useful tool.
  • Hi - Love the script- thanks! But, I can't get Merge to work. I select multiple shape layers and choose merge, and it seems to be doing what it supposed to - creates a new shape layer called "merged shape layer" , but all I end up with is an empty layer at 0-0-0. I tried several combinations of the options.

Is it working? I tried CC and CC 2014.
  • Hey Mike, sorry this is happening! Can you open a support ticket and include an AEP collect (if you're doing this with an AI file, would want that too and make sure to .zip it all into an archive) and I'll take a look? 
  • Same with me. If you solve it, please share. Thanks
    -------------
    Hi - Love the script- thanks! But, I can't get Merge to work. I select multiple shape layers and choose merge, and it seems to be doing what it supposed to - creates a new shape layer called "merged shape layer" , but all I end up with is an empty layer at 0-0-0. I tried several combinations of the options.

Is it working? I tried CC and CC 2014.
    ------------
    Hey Mike, sorry this is happening! Can you open a support ticket and include an AEP collect (if you're doing this with an AI file, would want that too and make sure to .zip it all into an archive) and I'll take a look? 

• Eduardo, I was unable to reproduce the issue on Mike's files; could you open a support ticket and attach the AEP? Include the AI file if you're working with one, please!

Also let me know operating system & AE version!

Same with me. If you solve it, please share. Thanks
    -------------
  • Eduardo, Mike-- I have fixed this issue, will release an update very soon. Thanks for your patience!
  • I just tried this and merge isn't working on CC 2014 v2

I presume the update still isn't available that was mentioned a month ago!?
  • Sorry all for the delay in having this released already! Next release will be much bigger than anticipated, so it's taking quite a bit of time in my evenings & weekends. If you're absolutely stuck right now, send a support ticket and I'll help as much as I can.