Auto Lip-Sync
  • I keep getting this message. Any idea why?

Thakns
    2012-12-18 11.33.48 am.png
    512 x 207 - 20K
  • Hi Adrienne,

this looks like the layer that contains your Auto Lip-Sync mouth rig does not have a unique name.
    If there is another layer with the same name above it, the expressions that move the tongue and teeth look at the wrong layer.

Cheers,
    Mathias
  • Hello, 

I'm working on a project with your plug-in and I'm having trouble with having a black background color show up 
    on the open mouth of my character. 

I see with the tutorials they just make a black color for the background of the open mouth. 
    How would I go about getting that? 
    Thanks
    MikeG

See image link below.

Screen Shot 2013-01-09 at 5.13.22 PM.png
    883 x 656 - 25K
  • I think I may have found a solution to my problem. 

I put the mouth vector file on the whole head file. 
    Then ran the lip-sync plug-in. 
    It then again made a hole in the mouth which I could see her 
    Hair layer through. So she had a yellow mouth. 
    So I just made a small dark black solid and masked it behind 
    her head and parented it to the head layer. 

So now she does have a dark black color when her mouth opens. 
    Like a normal person should, by cartoon standerds. 

Thanks for making such an awesome plug-in!
    MikeG
  • Hi Mike,
    yes, Auto Lip-Sync always "cuts a hole" in the layer that it is applied to. Hence, its usually best to apply it to a layer/precomp containing the entire head and placing some black solid behind.

Cheers
    Mathias
  • Hi.  I just installed the trial version of Auto Lip-Sync.  I have AE CS6 on OSX 10.8.2.  Your tutorial states to go to Windows to turn Lip Sync on.  What should see to select?  Thanks.

Keith
  • Hi Keith,

Auto Lip-Sync works on both Mac and Windows.
    What I say in the tutorials is that you need to go to the section "Window" in your After Effects menu (the main menu of the application). This menu exists in After Effects in both Mac and Windows version. In it, you find an entry to launch Auto Lip-Sync once it is installed.

Cheers,
    Mathias
  • Got it.  I was looking under windows, but I did not see Lip Sync to launch, but now I do.  Looking forward to working with it.  I work for a public school district in Alabama.  Do you accept purchase orders?  Thanks for your help.

Keith
  • Hi Keith,

we have special conditions for education. Please open a support ticket on aescripts to hear more about the details:

Cheers,
    Mathias
  • hey when i make a video it keeps making the inside of the mouth tan how do i make it black?
  • Hi Earl,
    Auto Lip Sync just "cuts a hole" in the layer where the mouth is. Hence the color of the inside of the mouth is whatever other layer you have below it. To make it black, simply put a black solid below it.
    Cheers,
    Mathias

• Hallo Mathias,
    i'm from vienna austria, i use ae cs4, i have downloaded the trial version of auto lips syn, i have copied the one file to Support Files/Scripts/Script UI Panels, then i have started the application and then under the preferences  the option "Allow Scripts to write Files and Access Network" is enabled.  But i don't see the entry of auto lips under the section "window" - what i have to do - please help
    best regards from vienna - austria
  • Hi Chris,
    did you put the AutoLipSync.zip file there? You need to unzip it first, and place the AutoLipSync.jsxbin file in the Support Files/Scripts/Script UI Panels folder. Also remember that you need to restart After Effects in case is was already running before.
    Here, the regular installation process is shown:

If everything else does not work, you can still run Auto Lip-Sync via the menu Scripts->run script file as described here:

Cheers,
    Mathias
  • Hi Mathias,
    at first, thanks for your prompt return. of course, i have unzip the file and then i placed the file*.jsxbin in the Support........ folder.
    I will try it again.
    cheers
    chris
  • hi mathias,
    ae is now running. Although I can not start the application directly, I have to start running the script folder.
    I have created a small clip. Now, however, the following problem occurs. When rendering, the image data is not included. I only have a white screen with the movements of the mouth. As file I used no a clip I use a jpeg photo *. Can this be the cause.
    Greetings
    Chris

• Hi Chris,

normally, Auto Lip-Sync has no problems with jpeg fotos. Just take care that they are not too big.
    If you send me the project to [email protected], I can take a quick look at what is wrong.

Cheers,
    Mathias
  • How many computers can I run this script on with only one license?
  • Hi Gideon,

strictly speaking the license allows to install it on one machine, but its ok to install it on two machines if they are both your machines and you don't use them simultaneously.

Cheers,
    Mathias
  • Hi Mathias, 
    i recently bought Talking Head script, would you say i'd made a mistake and this one is better?!... or maybe you would say both are complementary?!... or both are like rival products that do similar stuff?!

Greetings
    Adrian
  • Hi Adrian,
    Talking Head and Auto Lip-Sync are for a similar task, but use very different techniques and also their result looks very different. If you have a character for which you manually painted various different mouth shapes and you want to manually control where to show which of them, go for Talking Head. If you don't want comic-like abrupt changes between different manually painted mouth shapes, use Auto Lip-Sync, as it continuously morphs the mouth based on just a single mouth shape. This is nice if you don't want to paint your mouth for many different poses and also don't want to split your face into many layers.
    If you take a look at the demo videos of both tools, you will notice the very different style of the resulting animations.

Cheers,
    Mathias
  • Is there a tutorial on how to setup the teeth and tongue? I am sure I could figure it out through trial and error, but itd be nice if there was already a workflow. Thanks.
  • Hi Matthew,
    both the talking tree and the talking car tutorial include teeth and tongue:

http://mamoworld.com/tutorials/talking-tree-auto-lip-sync-easy-lip-sync-ae
    http://enva.to/M8Sdfx

Cheers,
    Mathias
  • Just bought this and tested it out -  and works perfectly. An awesome plugin/script - that is all! :)
  • Thanks a lot for the feedback, Dan :-)
  • Mathias, I bought it it will be very helpful in animating a mouth for four and a half minutes. Here's a catch, the client keeps changing the voice track. How can I swap in a new voice?

Hey, I found a solution. http://lesterbanks.com/2014/01/after-effects-switching-out-voice-overs-using-auto-lip-sync
  • Yes, here is another tutorial showing how to replace the voice audio later:
    http://mamoworld.com/tutorials/auto-lip-sync-how-replace-audio-after-creating-mouth-rig
  • Auto Lip-Sync really bogged down my computer. Even tho I have good specs. I have an intell i7 2nd gen processor and 16 GB of Ram and I usually don't run into after effects slowing down to the point where I can barely use it. But When I installed the trial for the auto lip-sync I can barely use after effects because it is so slow. Is their something I did wrong? I noticed that if I disable the "O-shape deformation" effect on the mouth I can use the program okay but it is still VERY Slow. Is there something I can do to fix this or do I just need a better computer?
  • Hi Joshua,
    thank you for the feedback. I just created an FAQ for this question:
    https://aescripts.com/knowledgebase/index/view/faq/auto-lip-sync-how-to-render-faster/

Cheers,
    Mathias
  • Huge problem with autolip sync on adobe after effects 2014.1.1

ask you can see the tutorial prompts keep disapearing on windows 8.1 this is huge problem i try resize the boz and running script from desktop but the it still creates the same problem. please help me trouble shoot and fix this. 
    problem with animation.PNG
    940 x 511 - 456K
  • Hi Jason,
    do you use a high DPI display? After Effects 2014.1 has a bug that may layout script windows wrongly on Windows Operating Systems with high DPI displays. Please submit a bug report to adobe, showing the screenshots and a detailed description of your system:
    https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform
    I did the same already, but the more feedback they get, the faster they will care to fix it.

Cheers
    Mathias
  • Hi Jason,
    I found a workaround for your issue. Just download and install the new version 1.06.

Cheers,
    Mathias
  • Hey Mathias thanks for you awesome and amazing work you did it in less then 24hours you rock!!! just like your software
  • the support and the genius behind this tool - Mathias Mohl! is prompt and immediate! he fixed a glitch in less then 24 hours. A man of integrity who stands behind his product and his work! re posting this so everyone can see it.   Great product, great support, great company!
  • Hello I have updated my AE to the latest version 2014 1.1 and launch auto lip sync no longer shows in the windows menu on after effects. I have tried copying the file into the script folder like last time but it hasn't worked. Can you help?
  • Hi James,
    installation in CC 2014 1.1 should work exactly as in all previous versions. Are you sure you copied the jsxbin in the correct folder? If it is in the correct folder, maybe you have a permission problem such that AE cannot read the file.
    As a workaround, you can also use the method described here to launch Auto Lip-Sync:
    https://aescripts.com/knowledgebase/index/view/faq/how-to-run-scripts-if-you-do-not-have-access-to-scriptui-panels-folder/

Cheers,
    Mathias
  • Hey Mathias!
    Just wanted to say how great Auto Lip-Sync is, and make 2 suggestions based upon my experience.

With the O/U shapes being based on the markers, is there a way to adjust the reflex time of that action? For larger mouths, the warping to the O shape should be slower than with tiny mouths...so it would be great if that reaction time. (how many frames it animates before/after the marker) Maybe there is, but I did not see it.

My project requires a ton of Auto Lip-sync comps and I always have to go and adjust each effect setting to my base start point aster I create the mouth rig. It would be great if there was a "Settings" feature that allowed me to specify the default settings for each effect.

Thanks again for another great tool!!!!
  • Hi Jason,

thank you for your feedback. Would you like to see the reflex time control as a global slider affecting all markers of this rig or as alike annotating a comment "50% speed" to a single marker?
    With the current version it is not ossible, bug it is a great idea for a new feature.

Are you allowed to share some examples of your project? I always love to see what clients do with our products.

Cheers,
    Mathias
  • Thanks Mathias,
    Either way would be an improvement, but I think being able to adjust the speed via annotating the markers would be great since you already have to annotate the markers anyway. So, in addition to setting the percentage on O shape, you could also set a number of frames and the O shape animation will happen over that many frames. :)
    Currently, it appears that the O shape at markers animates over approx 20 frames. (at least in my 24fps projects)
    For longer O sounds (like a cow "Mooooooo") it would be great to be able to extend the O shape.

I will share some info about my project when I can. If I cannot share it publicly, I will still message you privately to show you. :)
  • Hi Jason,
    ok, i am looking forward to see your project :-)

Cheers,
    Mathias
  • Just for everyone who has a high resolution monitor and issues with auto lip sync. Make sure your windows fonts are set at 100% not medium or large. you can find it in Win 7 here: Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display\Screen Resolution -> Make text and other items larger or smaller
  • so I'm running into an issue that I'm hoping to figure out pretty quick. like script for the most part but my main problem is that it doesn't seem to handle dynamics very well. someone enunciating in a softer voice than the same person creates what looks like nothing more than mumbling on the character.
  • Hi dag gooch,
    if in some areas, the voice is much louder than in others, you can open the "voice volume" parameter in the graph editor and increase the value in the regions where it is not loud enough. the higher this value, the more the mouth will be opened.
  • I am seeking a copy of the End User License Agreement for Auto Lip Sync. Is this available anywhere on the web site? Otherwise, how do I request a copy?
  • Hi Reid,
    on the product page
    aescripts.com/auto-lip-sync/
    right below the price you find a link "License Terms" with the EULA.

Cheers,
    Mathias

• Hi Mathias, gréât product, but i'm having trouble . It works fine in after effect on a fixed jpeg, but not on my animation I import from character animator (in after effects)

On the animation the mouth is always too highabove the chosen line
  • HI Paco,
    when the face is moving, I recommend to use Auto Lip-Sync inside a stabilized precomp created with MochaImport+ or MaskTracker+, as shown in this tutorial:
    http://enva.to/M8Sdfx

• I wasted $39 on this. I know I don't have the most powerful computer in the world, but it's an 8-core. It can handle pretty much anything I throw at it...except this plugin. I'm not sure what the deal is, but once I reach a certain step in this process I continually get the Mac beachball of death over and over and over...and I have to force quit AE. I could have literally lit $39 on fire and been in a better position...because I've just wasted hours of my time fussing with this plugin.
  • Hi Richard,
    does this beachball happen during the wizzard? If so, in which step? Could you please open a support ticket where you describe the problem as precise as possible?
    https://aescripts.com/contact/

If there is not a specific step where it always freezes, but you just have the impression that it is very slow in general, consider the tips given here:
    https://aescripts.com/knowledgebase/index/view/faq/auto-lip-sync-frequently-asked-questions/

Cheers,
    Mathias
  • Can i use auto lip-sync (after effects cs5) with song? I mean character lip syncing to a song. Or create lip syncing over spoken song lyrics words and then make a copy of video without audio and place it over song (maybe using premiere pro). I just need final result character lip syncing over song, Will after effects video clip with auto lip-sync effect work in premiere pro after deleting audio, or, can i delete audio of AE auto lip-sync video in premiere pro and use just the video with mouth effect without audio? Than you

• Hi Charlie,
    Auto Lip-Sync only works properly, if you have an audio layer, where you have only the voice and nothing else.
    If you don't have a separate audio file with only the voice, I recommend that you do a quick and dirty recording of yourself singing the song (listen to the song with headphones and sing it, such that you only record your voice and not the music).
    Then you can use this audio track with Lip-Sync and once Lip-Sync is done, mute or delete the audio track and replace it with the original music.