Project Sync 3
  • Project Sync 3
    Project Sync 3

https://aescripts.com/project-sync/

Completely rewritten from the ground up, Sync 3 offers new features and a stable platform to keep you and your team moving through the toughest deadline. Sync gives you the ability to share After Effects Project files without duplicating content. Increase your productivity, start Syncing your files today.

• Looks interessting. Does it also work via dropbox or Creative Cloud?

Are there any plans for a Premiere Pro version of the plug in?

• Hi Pascal,

Project Sync absolutely works with Dropbox. I actually use Dropbox almost exclusively with Project Sync.

Honestly I've never used Creative Cloud, but as long as you have access to the files locally, it should work without issue.

Unfortunately there are no current plans for Premier Pro. I would love to offer this functionality but currently there is no scripting support for Premier and that is essential for what we're doing with Project Sync.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'm happy to help clarify.

Looks interessting. Does it also work via dropbox or Creative Cloud?

Are there any plans for a Premiere Pro version of the plug in?

• Ok cool. Yeah it more or less works like dropbox (hopefully a bit better when it is actually is called CC) :-)
    Oh I thought it would be much like a Plug In.
    Thanks for your quick reply
  • I have one additional question: Do all the people working/contributing on a project need the script or is it just the machine that does the final render as it should check if there is a new version in the dropbox?
  • Hi Pascal,

Only the person creating the Final / Main composition that is importing the other projects needs the script. The other users can work as usual and Project Sync will find these saved projects.

Hope this helps!

- Chris
  • I have downloded the trial and try it with AE CC, it work but can you assure it will work the same way as it does for CS6?
    Because in the compatibility tab it not listed CC.

Thanks

Phil
  • Yes, it works the same in CC. Thanks for pointing this out, I have updated the compatibility tab.
  • Hi, 

I just purchase the script for 5 seats but it doesnt work with my project!!! When I try to share a comp it ask me to rename the comp and save it and it work but nothing appear in the script window so I cannot update...I can link a project, it work but when I reload the project the updated comp position change in the main comp!!!. I've try to do a share comp test in a new project with a precomposed solid in a main comp and it work...but it impossible to get it work on my project.The comps I try to share already have been animated and only have illustrator file in it. I use a macpro 10.8.4 on a SAN volume.

Any idea?

Thanks
  • I sent you a message Phil, send me an email and we'll get this figured out.
  • Is there any way to approve all new updated files? I'm working on a project with over a hundred scenes. It's time consuming to wait for each one to update and then approve the next. I'd like to be able to just update all of them with one click and then go get coffee while it brings in the new assets.
  • I am having issues with the Sync Assist program on Windows 7 and Adobe CC. No matter where on my system I put the Syncdata file, after I point Sync Assist to it, nothing happens. There are no projects listed in the window, it's totally blank. I thought it might be a permissions issue so I have moved the data file to friendlier turf, but that doesn't seem to do it. I can open the data file and confirm that the AE Script is indeed writing the sync data; it is completely populated. But Sync Assist isn't displaying it.
  • Hi Michael,
    Is there any way to approve all new updated files? I'm working on a project with over a hundred scenes. It's time consuming to wait for each one to update and then approve the next. I'd like to be able to just update all of them with one click and then go get coffee while it brings in the new assets.
    Currently, no -- but 

"Yes to all" is implemented in the next release, which will be coming out in the next few weeks.
    I am having issues with the Sync Assist program on Windows 7 and Adobe CC. No matter where on my system I put the Syncdata file, after I point Sync Assist to it, nothing happens. There are no projects listed in the window, it's totally blank. I thought it might be a permissions issue so I have moved the data file to friendlier turf, but that doesn't seem to do it. I can open the data file and confirm that the AE Script is indeed writing the sync data; it is completely populated. But Sync Assist isn't displaying it.

Yea.. I'm sorry to hear Sync Assist isn't working correctly. Unfortunately I will probably stop development on Sync Assist soon. There will be a large update of Project Sync in the next month or so that adds many new features. This would require a rewrite of Sync Assist. I feel that my time is better spent focused on Project Sync.

I do have some ideas on making very large updates to project sync down the road that would bring this functionality back.

Hope this helps.

Feel free to email me offsite chris at roemedia.com to see about getting a beta version of project sync with the "Yes to all" functions implemented.
  • I can't seem to get this to work at all. Every time I try to update an incremented project it imports the project and then "pinwheels" till I force quit AE. I'm using AE CC in 10.9.2 Any ideas what could be causeing this?
  • Hi Jon, there a few reasons that I can think of. Please email me directly so we can figure this out for you.

Chris (at) Roemedia.com
  • Same problem here as Jon Smith.. what is the solution?
  • Hi Gill, I can't recall if Jon ever emailed me so I'm not sure if this issue has been resolved.

Please contact me via email or open a support ticket. I'll need to know each step you take so that I can recreate the issue and find a solution. A video screen capture is the easiest way to show the issue without having to type it out. It also makes it easier for me to see the issue.

Thanks!

Chris(@)roemedia.com
  • This thing is a lifesaver. That said, there are a few small issues I have, and as I've developed scripts before, I'm not sure the first can be fixed.

1. When you open a new project but keep the UI panel open, it doesn't update. It does created a new sync folder if it's open when you create a new project though so maybe it is possible.
    2. When you increment and save it finds the new project and syncs it properly, but it doesn't update it's own link so it always thinks version 2 is new because it's still checking for version 1.
    3. Can there be relative linking instead of absolute linking? I'm collaborating on a project with someone and sharing the main project, so neither of us can sync projects the other has linked in because though the project and structure is the same (we're working through dropbox) the absolute path is different.

Other than those few small issues, this thing has been a tremendous time saver. I almost wrote my own version until I found out you had done the work for me!
  • Great little script.  Easy to set up and very powerful.

This would be even greater if it worked recursively.  That is, if I have a main project (MAIN) which uses an imported and synced project (SYNC1), which in turn references its own imported and synced project (SYNC2) - basically a pre-comp within a pre-comp within a comp - if I make changes to SYNC1 or SYNC 2, I'd like MAIN to be able to incorporate those changes.  Currently, I make changes to SYNC2, load SYNC1, cheeck for updates, save, then load MAIN and check for updates.

Technically, I could link the SYNC2 folder within the SYNC1 folder which is in MAIN, but it seems like the script should be able to detect if a synced folder has its own synced content which it could then link automatically.
  • This thing is a lifesaver. That said, there are a few small issues I have, and as I've developed scripts before, I'm not sure the first can be fixed.

1. When you open a new project but keep the UI panel open, it doesn't update. It does created a new sync folder if it's open when you create a new project though so maybe it is possible.
    2. When you increment and save it finds the new project and syncs it properly, but it doesn't update it's own link so it always thinks version 2 is new because it's still checking for version 1.
    3. Can there be relative linking instead of absolute linking? I'm collaborating on a project with someone and sharing the main project, so neither of us can sync projects the other has linked in because though the project and structure is the same (we're working through dropbox) the absolute path is different.

Other than those few small issues, this thing has been a tremendous time saver. I almost wrote my own version until I found out you had done the work for me!

Thanks for the suggestions Joe, I have added them to the roadmap for the upcoming update. Which will address most of these issues, the relative linking should be possible. That is something I have never thought of to be honest, it's a great idea.

• Great little script.  Easy to set up and very powerful.

This would be even greater if it worked recursively.  That is, if I have a main project (MAIN) which uses an imported and synced project (SYNC1), which in turn references its own imported and synced project (SYNC2) - basically a pre-comp within a pre-comp within a comp - if I make changes to SYNC1 or SYNC 2, I'd like MAIN to be able to incorporate those changes.  Currently, I make changes to SYNC2, load SYNC1, cheeck for updates, save, then load MAIN and check for updates.

Technically, I could link the SYNC2 folder within the SYNC1 folder which is in MAIN, but it seems like the script should be able to detect if a synced folder has its own synced content which it could then link automatically.
    This is definitely possible, but would require added user set up and some significant tweaking of the script to get it to work faster. The good news is, the next version should be quite a bit faster than the current version because I've changed the way it finds updates.. this will make updating projects recursively a bearable process to sit through.

The user input settings would require you to tell sync what order the files should be updated. Say you have SYNC_2 which shares a common element for some reason, if you update these projects in the wrong order, you'll end up with the wrong element in your final project.

I hope that made sense, feel free to open a support ticket with any additional suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

• Hi Chris,

Just found your script and our office really needs it. We are all currently on AE CC 2014 but I don't see that listed in the Compatibility tab. Does Project Sync 3 work in CC 2014? If not when do you plan on releasing a versions that will?

Thanks!!

Adam.
  • Adam, I've already responded via email to this but I am posting a reply here for other users with the same question. 

Project Sync does work in the CC 2014, no problems. 

Hi Chris,

Just found your script and our office really needs it. We are all currently on AE CC 2014 but I don't see that listed in the Compatibility tab. Does Project Sync 3 work in CC 2014? If not when do you plan on releasing a versions that will?

Thanks!!

Adam.
  • Is this compatible with CC 2015 as well?
  • Hello,
    If i have some animation keys in a linked composition and if i update my composition, does it keep my animation keys ?
  • Good day.
    I'm playing around with this to see if I can integrate it into an existing project in CC 2015 and I've hit a bit of a snag...
    I have a "template" file that contains ~170 compositions of animated icons. I started a new project, imported this template file, then selected the folder and used "Link Project". I tossed a couple comps into a new comp to test with, made a change to the template and incremented it, then attempted to check for updates.
    It detected the increment and asked if I wanted to switch to it. Upon doing so, after a delay the changes DID come through... but it's still linked to the original file, not the increment. Attempting to remove the link results in "An error occured, please make sure you have selected a valid linked file.". Checking for updates results in it again trying to switch to the increment and failing, even though it does import the data.

If I remove the incremented file and only make changes to the original, the problem corrects itself and I am able to remove the link if I desire.
  • This is so close to what I need, but it seems to be broken and I can't quite figure out what's going wrong. If I have linked everything up, then go to update my synced library file, it keeps creating a new folder called "Orphan Files Folder" which has a lot of duplicate comps from my original linked file. I have no idea why it keeps making this (I understand that this happens if you've created a new comp in your project and dragged it into the linked project directory, but I didn't add, move, or otherwise touch the imported project directory). If you have any idea how to keep this from happening, I would love to know.

Also, I have a rather large project that I've imported a synced library to. The library itself is not so large, but the project file containing the file is quite big. It takes more than 45 minutes to update the library (in fact we quit after 45 minutes since we could not waste any more time). What's going on here?

Any help would be hugely appreciated. Thanks.
  • Hi team,

Is this script compatible with CC2017?
    If not are you intending on releasing one any time soon?

Thank you.
  • Hi team,

Is this script compatible with CC2017?
    If not are you intending on releasing one any time soon?

Thank you.

Hi Brigitte! Thanks for your interest!

I have actually not had a chance to test on CC2017, but I will as soon as I am able to. In the mean time, you can grab the trial version and test it out and let us know if you have any issues. You can contact me directly or continue this comment thread if you prefer. 

• Hi Chris,

I have downloaded the trial version and it opened the script without any problem in my CC2017.
    When I tested it though I think it doesn't pull the updated Project through properly. So my question is, are there certain changes e.g. adding a new shape layer not being pulled through with this script? Or could that be down to CC2017?

Thank you for your help.
  • I can confirm it does NOT work on CC2017 and I miss it A LOT. Please, check the compatibility problems as soon as you can, if you need more info, you can contact me, I can give you all the info you might need.
  • I can confirm it does NOT work on CC2017 and I miss it A LOT. Please, check the compatibility problems as soon as you can, if you need more info, you can contact me, I can give you all the info you might need.

Hi Carlos, please open a support ticket or email me [ chris(at)roemedia.com  ]  with more information about the issue you are having. 

And if possible provide me with some sample projects that are not syncing so that I can recreate the issue on my machine.

I just tested a project in 2017 and it was able to SYNC without any issues. Please open a support ticket or email me. Info is above. 

Please include this information: 

• OS & Version
    • AE Version
    • Example projects that are not syncing correctly. 
  • Will this work with plugins like video co-pilots Element 3D?
  • Does Projectsync3 work with CC2019?
    I have done a simple test with the Demo version and it will update for comps that have changes to layers i.e. solids and footage, but will not update for text layers. It produces an 'orphaned files folder' but does not update linked the comp.

Is it still in development?
     This product would make our lives much easier if it worked

Cheers
    Ken 
  • Hi,

Just testing out the trial with 2019, and I am having issues.

When using the share comp, it seems to export fine. 
    when changing the linked file, save. then try and update in the master .AEP it creates a "Orphaned Files Folder" and does not relink stuff correctly.

have you experienced this?

cheers

Daniel