• Hi Nik,
    cool script. Two things that I noticed.  
    1. Why is the maximum number 15 rows or columns?  
    2. On Mac OSX the the icons you write to disk are in the top folder of the Library (see the image). Could be in "Application Support/Aescripts/Gridder". Other aescripts authors use this folder as well ( if you do not remove them after loading them into the UI).

Cheers
    Fabian

• Hi, Fabian,
    1. Well, 15 is just a slider limitation, you can enter any amount you want in the text field. 15 feels like the reasonable maximum for rows/columns, that's why I've set the sliders so.

2. I tested only UI on Mac so I didn't see this. Will be fixed in next update, thanks!
  • Hi Nik,

I had a comp with about 500 layers. Maybe that made the script react slow.
    Another thing.When typing directly setting a higher number works but when I delete the number in the textfield (using backspace) the script throws an error in line 58 (Division thru Null) and the script freezes. Whon closing and opening it again ther is a "NaN" in the textfield.  

Cheers
    :F
  • Could you please send me the project file for this? I was unable to reproduce the error with 500 layers.
  • Hi Nik,

I had a comp with about 500 layers. Maybe that made the script react slow.

Cheers
    As for speed - yes, it's really not that fast working directly with script with more than 100 layers, though I've made a major speed improvement in 1.5.
    Expressions mode for this amount of layers is even slower, but that's all I can do with AE.
  • Could you please send me the project file for this? I was unable to reproduce the error with 500 layers.
    Sorry. The comp does not exist anymore. : (

• One more note on speed. Even having 500 layers in composition makes my not-so-modest PC go nuts.

PS. I've tried everything to reproduce the error but failed. I believe it's because I've optimized arranging algorythm.
  • As for speed - yes, it's really not that fast working directly with script with more than 100 layers, though I've made a major speed improvement in 1.5.

I think what makes it  live updating the layers position.
    Maybe there could be a "tons of layers mode" where the user can first make the settings and than apply them. Seeing the layers move around is nice but not necessary.

• Yeah, I was thinking of it, but not really sure it's somehow different from the workflow I have now.
    You just go through edit fields and enter values you need, it will update 4 times.
  • One more note on speed. Even having 500 layers in composition makes my not-so-modest PC go nuts.

PS. I've tried everything to reproduce the error but failed. I believe it's because I've optimized arranging algorythm.

Yeah. AE is not good at handling that much layers.  :)
  • Yeah, I was thinking of it, but not really sure it's somehow different from the workflow I have now.
    You just go through edit fields and enter values you need, it will update 4 times.
    But the slider is so tempting to use it. :)
    BTW Attached is the 500 layer comp AE CS6.  
    zip
    zip
    quads.aep.zip
  • No errors now. Wait till next release, but if you really need it I may share preproduction version with you right now, it's pretty stable.
  • No hurry - but thanks.
  • What's the script you are using to change the color of the shape layer based on it's position over that bg image????
  • What's the script you are using to change the color of the shape layer based on it's position over that bg image????
    It's a simple expression applied to Fill, not a script

thisComp.layer("bg").sampleImage(position, [.5,.5]);

See Expression Language Reference by Adobe for better understanding of how sampleImage works
  • Hallo Nik Ska
    Very nice script, thanks a lot, but I have trouble in two things:
    fisrt, the duplicator mode just doesn´t work. I have one shape layer selected, make changes in the panel and nothing happens, no duplications of that layer..
    second, when I manually create a bunch of layers, the script works fine, but when I click create, it creates a null object with the sliders, but all are set to zero and do nothing, because no expressions have been written into the properties of the shape layers???
    tested with cs 5 and gridder 1.55
    do you have an idea why is this so?
    screenshot: http://s7.postimg.org/na82fg4ij/2013_09_20_021941.jpg

... OK, I found out that with the AE language set to english the expressions work fine, but can I somehow use the script with other languages?
    But the duplicator mode doesn´t function even with AE set to english?
  • the duplicator mode just doesn´t work. I have one shape layer selected, make changes in the panel and nothing happens, no duplications of that layer..
    Ok, this is the known problem of 1.55, I'll try to solve it ASAP, Duplicator mode is still beta

second, when I manually create a bunch of layers, the script works fine, but when I click create, it creates a null object with the sliders, but all are set to zero and do nothing, because no expressions have been written into the properties of the shape layers???
    Thanks for pointing that out! I have released a hotfix for that, just download the script again.
  • Thanks for pointing that out! I have released a hotfix for that, just download the script again.

hi nik ska
    thanks again for your effort, but did you test your hotfix?
    On my Computer with CS 5 german same effect, only the null but no expressions are created?
  • Sorry, Leif, that error was quite unobvious. But now the Gridder is tested on German CS5 and expression mode works just fine.
  • Sorry, Leif, that error was quite unobvious. But now the Gridder is tested on German CS5 and expression mode works just fine.
    sorry, but I don´t get it, even now no expressions are written.
    But maybe I used the wrong script, the one I have recently downloaded has exactly the the same Byte Size as the previous one, they both are 1.56, did you update the file here on the server?
  • Hi Leif,

Nik and I fixed the error and a version 1.5.7 will be available soon.

Cheers
    Fab

• I think there was an issue with uploading via Chrome, uploaded via Firefox. Now everything should work just fine, mostly thanks to Fabian )
  • thanks guys
    at least with "rectangle mode" now it works fine..
  • thanks guys
    at least with "rectangle mode" now it works fine..
    Hi, Leif. Have you tested other modes?
  • Hi
    Yes I tested. Rectangle mode works fine, (except of the not working Duplicator mode)
    3D mode forces the script to hang, you have to delete all the layers and load the script again to continue.
    And Circular mode does work, but doesn´t write any expressions, just a null object with the sliders set to zero.
  • Hi
    Yes I tested. Rectangle mode works fine, (except of the not working Duplicator mode)
    3D mode forces the script to hang, you have to delete all the layers and load the script again to continue.
    And Circular mode does work, but doesn´t write any expressions, just a null object with the sliders set to zero.
    Ok, I think I'm gonna install German AE just for testing these things. This behavior does not appear on English version and I apologize for any inconvinience you or anyone else could have experienced.
  • Circular mode and some other things doesn't work in the french version either. Thanks for the work!
  • Circular mode and some other things doesn't work in the french version either. Thanks for the work!
    Hi, Nikolas! You mean expressions do not work, or the Circular mode doesn't work completely?
  • Hello Nik,

I just downloaded and installed in AE CC. Nothing is working. I have followed your demo and am not sure how to proceed. I did pay your suggested price for the script and am hoping you might have some advice for me.

- J

Added note: I get an error message sometime: Unable to execute script at line 1165. Function activeLayers.countNames is undefined.
    And another note: It works perfectly in CS6. When would a CC version be available?
  • Hello Nik,

I just downloaded and installed in AE CC. Nothing is working. I have followed your demo and am not sure how to proceed. I did pay your suggested price for the script and am hoping you might have some advice for me.

- J
    Hi, Justin. Please drop me an email on [email protected]
  • I just bought it and it is not working properly. Unable to execute script at lone 191. When i manage to load only works a bit until I try to make a 3d grid. Swapping the selector to 2d grid before selecting any layer seems to make it work a bit on 2d, but once you change to 3d it hangs. I need it to work already. Spent about an hour trying, reducing the size of my images´names just in case. Please help. Paid the suggested price.
  • I just bought it and it is not working properly. Unable to execute script at lone 191. When i manage to load only works a bit until I try to make a 3d grid. Swapping the selector to 2d grid before selecting any layer seems to make it work a bit on 2d, but once you change to 3d it hangs. I need it to work already. Spent about an hour trying, reducing the size of my images´names just in case. Please help. Paid the suggested price.
    Please open a support ticket for direct help on this issue.
  • I just purchased the script and also cant get it to work. English version CC, click create and I get nothing.
  • Nevermind, I was being dumb, plugin works well, thanks for this!
  • Nik,
    I just purchased Gridder and I just gotta say... 
    HOLY CRAP THIS IS SO AWESOME!!!!!! AWAWAWAWAWWWWWW!!! Thanks!!!

Best regards,
    Adam
  • Nik,
    I just purchased Gridder and I just gotta say... 
    HOLY CRAP THIS IS SO AWESOME!!!!!! AWAWAWAWAWWWWWW!!! Thanks!!!

Best regards,
    Adam

Thanks, Adam :)))
  • Pls! Add version label to GUI.
  • Hi
    Do you think you can add easily a random offset fonction (x, y or Z) in order to create a some mess in this very straight world ? 
    This would be amazing !

• Pls! Add version label to GUI.
    What do you mean by that?
  • Hi
    Do you think you can add easily a random offset fonction (x, y or Z) in order to create a some mess in this very straight world ? 
    This would be amazing !

This is going to over complicate already complex interface. I advice usign "Distribute Layers" script, even though it's a bit clumsy.
  • Hi
    This would be amazing !

I once wrote a script than can distort shapes and masks. You can try it.  

zip
    zip
    shape-distorter.jsx.zip
  • WOW! Thanks for making this GREAT script!
  • Great script!

I have a little problem when entering numbers into the text fields - everything is entered backwards! ie, if I want 90, I have to type 09. I'm using CS6 on Mac.
  • Great script!

I have a little problem when entering numbers into the text fields - everything is entered backwards! ie, if I want 90, I have to type 09. I'm using CS6 on Mac.
    Hi, Mark! I'm not sure what's the problem. The script was initially developed for CS6, though this is mostly irrelevant. I've heard from a couple of other users about this issue, but I'm unable to track its origins for now. Tested it both on Mac and PC, CS6 through CC2014, and could not reproduce this behaviour.
    Hope this doesn't make you life harder.
  • It doesn't seem to work with lights. Is that a possibility in the future?
  • It doesn't seem to work with lights. Is that a possibility in the future?
    Hi, Nik. A good idea for an update, I'll see what I can do this week.
  • Hello Nik,

Great plugin, but it looks like there's at least one bug for the "duplicate mode" which doesn't work on my windows after effects CC (and CC 2014) and on MAC after effects CC.

Also the set grid buttons doesn't work as they look like on your demo video. Well it's possible to use them, but they doesn't became yellow as they should. Things like this...

Thanks for all

• Hi Nik

I just bought Gridder, but it throws an error on line 78 "prefix is undefined". It won't even load. Any suggestions?

I´m in AE CC2014.
  • Hi, Christian. I've just found the source of the error and fixed it. Sorry for that, download the file again.