Chameleon - Adobe Kuler Color Theme Browser
  • hey Mathias

your script is really useful for a video i'm working on at the mo, which has a really strong color theme to it.
    & i just checked you aetuts tutorial for chameleon,,,  

but i can't seem to find the Rebel CC plugin anywhere online,,, i could buy the book, but would take some days to be delivered , & i'm working on the video now...
    also is there any other "newer" plugins that you may know of, which work well with your chameleon script?
    as the aetuts u did is quite old now..
  • Hi Weird Core,

at the time I recorded the tutorial, the download for Rebel CC was available here:
    http://prolost.com/blog/2006/10/22/rebel-cc.html

It looks like the download link on this page is not working anymore.

The best thing (apart from buying the book, which I recommend anyway, as its an absolutely great book) you can do is to post a comment on prolost and maybe also on the rebels guide forum (http://rebelsguide.com/forum/) to ask whether Stu can fix the download link.

Best,
    Mathias
  • cool thanks Mathias
    i'll do that!
    also any other plugins you would recommend for use with chameleon?
  • yes, other effects you can use in combination with Chameleon are, for example, Tint and Tritone.
  • Hey, great, it finally works.
    Could you move swatch to the top so I could keep script in compact mode and still have this swatch available.
  • Hi Nik Ska,
    this is a good suggestion. Maybe I should do it in a way such that the top part is collapsible.
    I will put it on my list of feature requests for the next version.
  • Hi. nice app.
    Is it possible to make editing colors schemes after loading to script?
  • Hi Mike,
    you can edit the color scheme by manually modifying the color effects on the color theme layer created by Chameleon. But currently, there is no way to get the modification from there back to the Chameleon interface.
    Cheers,
    Mathias
  • Thanks Mathias, this is a fantastic script I have used many times.

I typically don't use Kuler, but use it with ASE files exported from AI (often clients' brand palettes.)

Sometimes the palettes have more than 5 colors. So I'm mentioning the request in case others would love to see a version of Chameleon that could support palettes with more colors. They currently load, and I can manually modify the expressions to point at the additional colors, so really I'm only requesting additional buttons in the GUI to access additional colors.

Thanks for considering, and thanks again for a great script.
  • Hi Declan,
    thank you for the feedback. I cannot promise anything,but I will keep it in mind when updating Chameleon.

Cheers,
    Mathias
  • Thanks, Mathias!
  • hi, Mathias
    thanks a lot for such a life saving script
    by the way, my only request is, if it was possible the script could auto load the previously loaded swatches on after effect restart.
    it quite bothering to always have to brows through folders to look for and load the same swatches over and over again anytime after effect restarts.

Again THANKS!  for all the awesome stuff, we really appreciate it. 
  • Hi Kojo,
    thank you for the feature request. You can do something similar already now:
    If you go to the settings of Chameleon by clicking the logo at the top of its UI, you can choose a default folder for color schemes. All ase files in this folder are automatically loaded by Chameleon each time it starts.

Cheers
    Mathias
  • awsome, thanks.
  • Very Thank U for Donating!!! I like this idea. All the best.
  • Hi Mathias,

I still find Chameleon very useful.

However the new Adobe Color interface (formerly Kuler) no longer allows copy or saving of ASE files.

Strangely, we can now open Color directly in AE, but I cannot find any way to get the palettes into Chameleon.

Are there any plans to update this to work with the new Color Theme service?

Thanks,

Declan
  • Hi Declan,
    I will keep it in mind but currently i have other projects with a much higher priority, so don't expect something soon.
    Cheers,
    Mathias
  • Yesterday I purchased this plugin and installed it in AE CC 2015.3. Disappointingly, I have to say the information given by the vendor on this page does not sufficiently explain how Adobe Color Themes can be imported in to the plugin, and how these "themes" can be sampled to modify the colour pixels in video.

As suggested by the vendor in his selling of this product, I visited Adobe's Color site, yet found no Kuler Desktop Application (which evidently assists in the importing of Color Themes in to the Chameleon plugin) for download.

I draw the attention of readers to the response of Mathias Möhl to Declan Zimmerman, who simply questions the usefulness of this plugin in its current form (a "tune" I keep hearing from customers buying plugins and scripts from this site). Effectively, Mr Zimmerman is told to run away and not be such a nuisance. Surely it the legal and moral responsibility of vendors to provide clear instructions on how to use their products, and dutifully upgrade them; or, withdraw the products once they grow tired of maintaining them.