Save Comp As Project 2
  • Hi everyone.

Any question? Any request, feature bug?

Feel free to ask ! Here is the best place as I get notified as soon as you write something ;)

Cheers,
    Seb
  • Does this work if I have effects like trapcode Particular or Form that is reading an external file for data (like sprites or 3D objects)? I know it won't collect those files as there's no way to tell After Effects that those files are being used, but will their dependencies still remain linked if I export the precomp? I'd love to be able to split a master project up by each sequence but these sequences are plugin heavy, just wondering how this will work for it. I guess I should just try it, huh? :)

EDIT: I just tried it, and it totally works! Thank you so much. Buying it now! :)
  • Hi Joel,

if we leave file collection aside, exporting a precomp to an external project will keep all its data intact. So the Particular instance will keep the link to the files. 

It's as if you where reducing the project with that comp selected and saving as a project with a different name. 

Know I should have a closer look at Particular & Form just to see if I could get the file path via scripting, it could be ace ;-)

Cheers,

Seb
  • So I already love this program so much. Probably one of the most useful tools I've had in a long time as reducing projects takes so long! 

Here's a feature request: the ability to open up the comp after it's been saved. I'll be using this not only to send for review but also just to store AE assets. Ex: a specific particular effect that I want to then import into another sequence without having to drag along the rest of the project it's contained in. However, the ability to select a precomp, export it, then immediately open it to tweak and check it would be awesome. Just saves an extra step from navigating to the new saved comp and opening it there. :)

But this is ace, man! Thanks so much!
  • Hi Joel, thank you!

so glad you love it already. Very cool feature request but I got a question for a particular case. Lets consider this:

Imagine I add the option to open the exported comp. What should be the behavior if you select multiple comps to be saved as project? When the script finishes exporting all the comps, should I open the first comp exported or the last comp exported (or any other comp)?

Cheers!
  • A great question! Well, if the script takes a sampling of the multiple compositions selected when the script is run, perhaps the "open saved comp" button would be disabled or greyed out since multiple were selected. That'd be the simplest I feel like. If I'm exporting multiple compositions, I'd have to open them up individually anyway regardless of the setting, so I'd say the most practical use of this feature would be only when one composition is selected.  If that helps! 
  • Thanks for you input Joel.

Added the feature on the next update log. Hopefully, it won't be too long ;)
  • Bonjour !

Pas que je sois contre, mais j'aurais aimé connaître si possible les raisons qui vous ont poussé à faire passer ce script en licence payante ?

Bien à vous,
  • Bonjour,

chaque centime que me rapporte ces scripts sont utilisé pour financer les artistes qui travaillent sur mon long métrage d'animation indépendant. Ces scripts sont ma principale ressource pour ce faire en plus d'une large partie de mon salaire. 

Leur ajouter des fonctionnalités et les rendre payant est un moyen pour moi de pouvoir faire grossir notre petite équipe.

J'espère que cela répond à votre question.

Bien à vous
  • Hey,

i just switcht to AE CC 2014 and now the Scripts tells me "First Save the Projekt" and stops.
    But the Projekt is saved!

I use the 1.5.1 Version.
    Will it work after i updated?

Greetings
    Stefan
  • Hi Stephan,

version 1.5.1 was released way before CC2014 and might not be compatible. Version 2 is compatible, I'm using it on a daily basis ;)

Hope that helps,

Cheers,
    Seb
  • Hi There,

The script ran over my entire project, deleted the original project file and just left the comp it was supposed to save out as the original comp?

I have now lost an entire project. Luckily I have a backup of it. I would recommend all users to save a backup file before using this script.
  • Hi Bryone,

I'm so sorry you ran into a bug.
    can you please open a support ticket and provide:  your AE version number, the script version number, your OS, and language. 

Your original project should not have been deleted as there nowhere in the code a line that deletes a project.
  • I just bought this. It exports a copy of the same file (same size as original, etc) and has all the other comps and footage in the project window. It also deleted the original project file.

I watched the video first and did exactly as you showed.
  • Hi Jared,

It is not the intended behavior, very strange. Could you share with me (seb at sperier dot com) a sample project that causes the bug so I can try to repro it on my end.

Could you also tell me which AE version you are using, which AE language, which OS version and language too.

All the best,
    Seb
  • I've found what may be the...or at least it was my issue in overwriting. 
    If you're on a PC and your comp name has system reserved characters in it (/ ? < > \ : * | "), this script will try to save with these characters and throw an error. I'd imagine the rest of the script runs based on a successful save and proceeds somehow erroneously overwriting files. In my case there was a slash "/" in the comp name, so to the PC it was trying to save a folder structure rather than a file. 
    I, too lost work. Luckily I have auto-save enabled and didn't lose much. 

• To follow up, here's more NTFS rules. 

The following characters are invalid as file or folder names on Windows using NTFS:

/ ? < > \ : * | " and any character you can type with the Ctrl key

In addition to the above illegal characters the caret ^ is also not permitted under Windows Operating Systems using the FAT file system.

Under Windows using the FAT file system file and folder names may be up to 255 characters long

Under Windows using the NTFS file system file and folder names may be up to 256 characters long

Under Window the length of a full path under both systems is 260 characters

In addition to these characters, the following conventions are also illegal:

Placing a space at the end of the name

Placing a period at the end of the name

The following file names are also reserved under Windows:

com1, com2, com3, com4, com5, com6, com7, com8, com9, lpt1, lpt2, lpt3, lpt4, lpt5, lpt6, lpt7, lpt8, lpt9, con, nul, and prn

I'll also note based on my experience with cross-platform compatibility that if this script is able to save a file that begins with a space on a PC, the file will physically be there, but will not show up in the windows browser. 

• Hi David,

thanks for the update. I don't check for special characters, so indeed it must be related.

Going to make sure to include that in a bugfix update soon!

Thanks again,
    cheers,

Seb
  • Should have read comments before purchasing...great, great idea, but it doesn't work with PSD's which most animators will always be using.  If I could get a refund I would really appreciate it, apologies for not doing my research ahead of time.
  • Hi Laura,

you should contact support directly about refunds, I don't have access to anything sales related sadly.

Cheers,
    Seb
  • USER ERROR LOL
  • It doesn't export/reduce expressions correctly, resulting Projects are useless for me because of this.
  • Hi, REALLY HANDY script had saved hours of time.

I was wondering if there is a way, or maybe I am doing something wrong concerning the underscore symbol which is automatically added on every space in the generated comp names.

Thanks

• Would it be possible to make this script Kbar friendly? I'd love to make it more consolidated and accessible.
  • Hi, it ready to use in Ae 2023 my bro?
  • Alert to anyone using 2.0.1 in AE 2022 Win10: the script can overwrite your project file. 

No strangeness with file naming, however I just realized the comp contained a colon : which probably threw the error.

Dev, I love this script and normally use it without issue, however please pull this file down until this is resolved as you knew about the issue in 2015.  Recommend adding a scan for illegal characters before proceeding.

When attempting to save comp as separate project, I received the message that the script could not rename the file...then **overwrote the original file with the saved comp**

Thankfully I was working from the cloud and was able to restore the file.

IMO a mission critical bug that can potentially destroy data.  Love the script however, look forward to using it in the future.