• can you make this for Nuke?  It would be amazing

• Hi Aaron,
    thank you for the suggestion. I will put it on my list of product ideas but I cannot promise anythin.
    It definitely won't happen soon, since I am currently focused on several AE & Premiere Pro projects.

Cheers,
    Mathias
  • This might be the script I've been waiting for, hopefully.
    Does this script also allow you to offset the mask while tracking?

For example, say you're tracking an arm and half way thru the track, it drifts off a little. It would be awesome if you can adjust the mask and it creates a  separate keyframe so you can make adjustment while keeping the tracking data. (like mocha pro)

At the moment, AE mask tracker will add your adjustment to the tracking data  which is a pain.

Does Mask tracker Plus create an expression like Mocha import plus? 
    Thanks!
  • Hi Lou,
    when you change the mask, this will also change the tracking data. But the workflows shown in those tutorials do what you are describing:
    http://mamoworld.com/tutorials/efficient-rotoscoping-using-mask-tracker-few-keyframes
    http://mamoworld.com/tutorials/efficient-rotoscoping-after-effects-stabilized-precomps-and-mask-tracker

The "disadvantage" of these workflows, is that you have the mask not on the original footage, but on a separate layer (or inside a precomp for the second tut). What is not mentioned in the tutorial is that for the first workflow you can still use CopyMask2Layer (https://aescripts.com/copymask2layer/) to copy the mask from the moving matte layer to the original footage layer, once you are done with the roto.

Finally, there is also this workflow using KeyTweak (https://aescripts.com/keytweak/), but it is a bit less convenient, since you have do deal with the duplicate of the mask:
    http://mamoworld.com/tutorials/how-refine-and-correct-mask-tracked-mask-tracker-after-effects

Note that all the tools I mentioned here are also contained in our Tracking Bundle
    https://aescripts.com/tracking-bundle/

Cheers
    Mathias

• Mathias Möhl hello,
    For the life of me I cannot make head nor tail of your plugin. I have owned Mask Tracker + (as I have owned Christopher Vranos' Lockdown) for some years, and having watched the respective tutorials I am none the wiser.

A significant part of my difficulty in negotiating your (and Mr Vranos') products is the design of the UI. Large motion graphic companies (Boris FX, REVision FX, etc) go to great lengths to create relatively easy to understand UI. These UI are generally attractive and dare I say "welcoming". This does not seem a priority with smaller vendors selling their wares on aescripts + aeplugins. I cannot tell you how annoying it is to be confronted with UIs that seem incomplete, or keep end users at a distance with annoying automated messages. 

Having got that off my chest I will ask a straight forward question by way of a hypothetical. Is it possible to create a spline mask say for a 2K clip in AE; then, having upscaled the clip to 4K resize or re-scale the spline mask to fit the same details in this clip using Mask Tracker +? If your product cannot do this would you or any other contributor to this site consider creating such a plugin? Thank you.
  • Hi Peter,
    thank you for your feedback! I actually put a lot of thoughts into making the UIs intuitive. Using MaskTracker+ usually consists of two steps: 
    1. loading tracking data
    2. applying the tracking data (in all kinds of different ways).
    Therefore, we designed the UI along this usual workflow, i.e. in the first row you have your button to load the tracking data and in the second row you choose how to apply it (in the dropdown) and then apply it. If any of those functions requires more detailed user input, a dialog pops up, to avoid cluttering the main UI (not wasting screen real estate is also something we take serious).
    I have no idea what automated messages you refer to, but if you have specific ideas how to improve the UI, I would love to hear those.

For upscaling the mask you could
    1. put both the 2K and the 4K layer in your composition and then scale the 4K layer down to the size of the 2K (or the 2K up to the size of the 4K layer)
    2. use CopyMask2Layer to copy the mask from the 2K to the 4K layer.

If the mask is only animated by a track without any manual tweaks, you should also be able to load the tracking data from a mask on the 2K layer and then apply it to a mask on the 4K layer. I.e. you could copy, paste and manually scale a single keyframe from the 2K to the 4K layer and then move the 4K mask with the tracking data you loaded from the 2K layer. However, this will not be accurate, if individual points of the mask move in more complex ways than the deformation of a corner pin.

Mathias Möhl hello,
    For the life of me I cannot make head nor tail of your plugin. I have owned Mask Tracker + (as I have owned Christopher Vranos' Lockdown) for some years, and having watched the respective tutorials I am none the wiser.

A significant part of my difficulty in negotiating your (and Mr Vranos') products is the design of the UI. Large motion graphic companies (Boris FX, REVision FX, etc) go to great lengths to create relatively easy to understand UI. These UI are generally attractive and dare I say "welcoming". This does not seem a priority with smaller vendors selling their wares on aescripts + aeplugins. I cannot tell you how annoying it is to be confronted with UIs that seem incomplete, or keep end users at a distance with annoying automated messages. 

Having got that off my chest I will ask a straight forward question by way of a hypothetical. Is it possible to create a spline mask say for a 2K clip in AE; then, having upscaled the clip to 4K resize or re-scale the spline mask to fit the same details in this clip using Mask Tracker +? If your product cannot do this would you or any other contributor to this site consider creating such a plugin? Thank you.