• Seems like some nice capabilities. How does the trial version differ from the paid one?
  • Hi Markus,
    Nice script !
    Despite several attempts, I don't see light, text or camera layers in the reference layers to point.
    Is this normal? For info I'm on a french version of aftereffects.
    Thanks ;)

capture.png
    667 x 403 - 65K
  • Hey guys,

Nice to hear that you like it first of all!

@James: Trial offers all features but only for 14 days.

@Chester: Thats normal actually. The point is that the "point to"-layer selection effect can't handle all kinds of layers. I might implement it for textlayers though. That should be possible. Simple workaround is to parent a null to your light, camera or text and use it as referencelayer.

Cheers

Markus

• Hello!
    Well I have been trying use the "position- along parent-layers surface" and it doesn't work when there is a camera and I can't quite understand the isInLayer-slider, I have been following the video instruction but my project doesn't work I hope this can be explain in other tutorial. Thanks.
  • Hello Alejandro,

position along parent layers surface should work with the active camera at any time! You can send me over your project-file and I can have a look whats wrong. That isInLayer-slider is just a small bonus. It can read the alpha or luma of the parented layer. You can then link properties to it, like the flare in my example. What do you want to use it for?

Regards
    Markus
  • Well in fact I'm trying only to simulate your tutorial but so far I couldn't :/ I'd like see your file project but I attached my file, if you would say me on what I'm wrong, when I make the last step for link the alpha matte something doesn't work.
    P.D. the "position- along parent-layers surface" works nice, I donĀ“t know what I made wrong the first time, but works perfectly. 

• Hey alejandro,

I had a look at your project. first thing is that you didnt point the flare to your light... you pointed the flare-layers position. Hava a look at the first screenshot: select the effect-property that handles the position of the flare and then click point it and select the layer you want to snap it to... guess the null of the light. 
    Looking on pic 2 and 3 you can see that the Alpha-sliders are allready working. What you may have missed is connecting any property to it. On pic4 you can see how I expression-pickwhip the flares brightness to the value of that slider. Now the Flare reacts automatically. Hope that helps

Regards
    Markus
    pic1.jpg
    1600 x 837 - 412K
    pic2.jpg
    1600 x 837 - 408K
    pic3.jpg
    1600 x 837 - 405K
    pic4.jpg
    1600 x 837 - 400K
  • I just purchased pointers today. I'm running it in CS4. The pointer portion and delay work. When I apply pointer I get the point and delay controls in the effects tab. My problem is that the offset control is grayed out and I can't use it and also don't get the offset control. Also, I can only apply pointers once in a composition. I can't use it again even if I ctrl z. The only way I can use it again is to close it and reopen it.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Jay
  • Hey Jay,

please open a support ticket, that I can help you better! (support>contact) We'll find a solution ;)

Cheers
    Markus
  • Is it possible to amend the script to make the movement of the pointer layer a derivative of the reference layer giving a simulated parallax effect and reducing the overall movement of the pointer layer by about a half in relation to the target layer?
  • Is it possible to amend the script to make the movement of the pointer layer a derivative of the reference layer giving a simulated parallax effect and reducing the overall movement of the pointer layer by about a half in relation to the target layer?

Hey Paul,

No thats not possible. But what about parenting a null to your target layer, moving it back in z-space, and point the layer to the null. Should have the same effect, Hope that helps!

Best
    Markus

• Hallo Markus,

will this script also help me to follow an object (with AE spotlights) created with Freeform Pro ?
    I would like to lock on the centre of the mesh with AE spotlights. I noticed you wrote GeoLayers as well,
    so you know FFPro will allow me to create and animate a mesh that lives in its own 3d space, I mean the
    2d layer stays fixed so there is no data comming from the layer that contains the FFP shape.
    I tried a workaround with Null objects but since I have many lights your solution would be highly appreciated

Cheers/Danke, Fred Kolman

• Hey Fred, Your first thoughts were right. You'll need to do a workaround with null layers. Maybe a good point to match free-form and Ae space is to not transform the free form layer too much but use an Ae camera for this. Hope that helps,
    Best,
    Markus
  • Hi Markus,

thanks for your quick reply! The thing is, I am reversioning an older project, for VR this time.
    and so i'm a bit reluctunt to change all those layers and settings.

The way I have set it up is; a fixed camera rig (Sky box Studio/AE VR) and have all the
    FFPro objects 'passing by' instead of the other way around.
    Maybe I should settle for a few 'restricted flying zones' for my objects.
    Any further thoughts of you are highly appreciated.

By the way I was impressed by the tutorial Charles Yeager did with your Geo Layers2 and FFPro
    I tried it myself with the 30 day trial. Makes me want to do a VR version of that particular project as well.
    I work as an artist. If I can find a paid project in which to use GeoLayers 2 I will be happy to buy a copy

Thanks again! Fred
  • Hi Marcus,
    what I actually was hoping for, is to use the Position X, Position Y, and Postion Z values
    in the FreeForm Pro 3d Transform section (as depicted with red in the yellow grid) as a pointer in Pointers
    Is that feasible?

• Hi Marcus, I'm trying to place pin markers on about 200 gps points inputed through kml files. Do you think the pointer program would assist?
  • Hi Marcus, I'm trying to place pin markers on about 200 gps points inputed through kml files. Do you think the pointer program would assist?

Honestly I don't think this is the right tool for this. It can't import KML, and does not help with positioning them according to coordinates. Have a look at aescripts.com/geolayers ... It can certainly help you with this
    Honestly I don't think this is the right tool for this. It can't import KML, and does not help with positioning them according to coordinates. Have a look at aescripts.com/geolayers ... It can certainly help you with this

• Thanks for the quick response. I actually populated all the locations in Geolayers, but I guess I need a little help placing markers on all of them. Would you mind emailing me? It would be easier than this forum and I can explain it a little better. [email protected]