• Hi, This looks fantastic and perfect for a lot of my projects, however I'm concerned about usage of these map images. How can it be possible to use this on commercial projects when its using copyrighted map data? 

Thanks
  • Hi, This looks fantastic and perfect for a lot of my projects, however I'm concerned about usage of these map images. How can it be possible to use this on commercial projects when its using copyrighted map data? 

Hey Roger, all the imagery-services that are set up as a default in GEOlayers are currently usable free of charge for broadcast as long as maps are attributed. Of course you should check the terms of use of the provider you use. For bing for example you can find it here:

http://www.microsoft.com/maps/product/broadcast-terms.html

If you want to get rid of attribution you need to get in touch with the company that provide the imagery. GEOlayers is just the tool helping you to work with it. We do not claim any ownership or license for the imagery you aquire with this software.

Hope that helps!

Markus

• Excellent idea - bought the plugin but straight away having problem displaying maps:

"tiles were deleted! trying to fix that!" - is constantly popping up in the status window.

I have switched on the option to allow scripts to write files but no change.

Any ideas?

Thx,
    K.
  • Excellent idea - bought the plugin but straight away having problem displaying maps:
    "tiles were deleted! trying to fix that!" - is constantly popping up in the status window.
    I have switched on the option to allow scripts to write files but no change.

Can you see any imagery? Did you change the tilespath? If not try to change it in the prefs' general settings to a local directory on your machine. Before you do that reset to defaults. Could be some read/write-permission issue.

If that doesn't help please open a Support Ticket: https://aescripts.com/contact/

Regards

Markus

• For those of you who didn't see any imagery right away checking GEOlayers out:

To fix it simply select a local 'tile path' in the pref's general settings.
    Or download version 1.06 and click reset in the prefs window.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Cheers
    Markus
  • Hi Markus

Just love this !!!

Ive posted some isues in support-ticket

Would love tutorial in doing an A > B route 
    maybe in corperate 3d element stuff

Regards
    Flemming

• Hey Pauk!

Nice to hear that you like it!

We plan to do more tuts for GEOlayers, and Element 3D is at the top of the list... so just stay tuned;)

Cheers

Markus

• I am a little fuzzy on the GeoShapes. I have loaded the world.geojson file and that seems to have data at the country level. Later in the demo for GeoShapes the demo guy drills into an obscure directory to get another file called Cities.geojson which contains all cities for the world. He goes into description nicely of how to pull out the keywords to search for to reveal the feature labels.

I have done searches on Google about the .geojson files and haven't been able to find one single thing on breaking down individual countries into provinces / states / districts and so on. I did a search on tutorials for .geojson files and there is a site called http://jeojson.io which seems to be a place to create custom points lines and shapes but I don't think there is a way to select map features and make a custom .geojson file.

Anyways...if there is any way you could post a tutorial that would explain where we get GeoShape features in a .geojson file that would be great!
    Joe
  • Hey Jody,

I don't know what you are looking for in detail. We might put together a little collection of geoJSONs people might need. For the USA I found this for example:

You can use the 500k ones...

Regards
    Markus
  • What a great plugin! I'm excited by the possibilities this could offer. I downloaded the trial version to test it out with the tutorials. I noticed that most of the features require multiple GeoLayers. It the tutorials show 8 options from the "Choose Layer" pull down menu. But I'm only seeing 1. Is this because I'm using the trail version?
  • It the tutorials show 8 options from the "Choose Layer" pull down menu. But I'm only seeing 1. Is this because I'm using the trail version?

Hey Jeffrey,

You are right. The trial just offers 1 GEOlayer per project.

Cheers

Markus

• Do you plan to integrate gpx-data for instance as a tracking layer?
  • Do you plan to integrate gpx-data for instance as a tracking layer?

Great Idea! Gonna have a look at the file-format specs to see if we can do this.

Cheers

Markus

• Hello from the USA!  I purchased the bundle with MIR and am just now playing with it all for the first time. It is a magnificent product and thank you!
    Is there a way that I can convert downloaded SHP files to GEOJSON files?  I cannot seem to find a "converter" easily.
    All the best!
  • I have looked at the link you posted earlier - http://eric.clst.org/Stuff/USGeoJSON - and when I select the 500K GeoJSON for "States", I get raw data.
    How exactly can I save that to the file format I will need for GeoLayers?
  • Hey John,
    Thanks for the kind words on GEOlayers at first!

Is there a way that I can convert downloaded SHP files to GEOJSON files?  

You could use this to convert shapefiles: http://converter.mygeodata.eu/
    How exactly can I save that to the file format I will need for GeoLayers?
    Just copy all the raw data, create a new text file, paste it and change its file extension to ".geojson"
    Hope that helps!

Cheers
    Markus
  • Thanks Markus!
    But I now have another question:
    I am able to load a geojson of all USA Counties. There should be about 1,500 of them in total, organized in the file by State (State 1 through State 51), with Alabama as "1", and Wyoming as "51" (alphabetic order).
    GeoLayers is actually loading only State "1" through "28".
    Is there, by chance, a data size limitation preventing the rest?
  • Hey John,
    There actually is a limitation. Files can be up to 20MB and the browser can show 2000 Features per Feature Collection... which is the list-items with the little folder-icons. So that shouldn't be the Problem on your side! May you open a Support Ticket and attach the file you want to import please?
    Regards
    Markus
  • OK .... my file is 23MB.  So I will find a way around it.  Many thanks!
  • Markus, GeoLayers is simply a superb tool.  I really like the function along with MIR.  A quick question:
    I want to use my camera down close to the my MIR layer, like you have in the Innsbruck demonstration.
    But my resolution is very "blocky" as I zoom in using the camera zoom.
    Is it perhaps because I need to zoom in first using the GeoLayers zoom, Finalize the layers, and not use the camera at all .... using instead the "Scroll" and "Rotate" in MIR to "fly" through the scene?
    Is there a trick to this that I am missing?
    Thansk for all your help.  The products works great!
  • Hey John,
    Thanks man! nice to hear;)
    In order to keep your project fast you should do the zooming with your GEOlayers. Like this you don't need oversized textures and and a huge resolution of verticies in MIR which would let you get rid of that "blocky" look. Also if you zoom in very far set your project to 16Bits. Otherwise you would see the steps in elevation resulting from a 8Bit heightmap.
    Best
    Markus
  • Hi, great script. Quick question. Am using the trial and in the -choose layer- drop down menu I only have '1' ie I can only create one layer. Is this a limitation of using the trial or something I an not doing correct.
    Thanks
  • Markus, I can follow and I understand the basic setup of GeoLayers with Mir.  
    But I'm having much trouble getting in close to terrain, as you show in the demo.
    If possible, please provide us a tutorial showing this.  
    I did follow the instruction in your last post, and still I am unable to make this work.
    Every other feature in GeoLayers is working fine so far.
    Thank you in advance for your help.
  • Markus, firstly, this is (insert profanity here) brilliant. Great job!
    I do have one problem though, the geojson file I've gotten for the town I live in shows nothing in the list when I double click the folder icon. I've placed the file in the ScriptUI Panels folder. Any comments as to what I'm missing would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • Hey guys!

Am using the trial and in the -choose layer- drop down menu I only have '1' ie I can only create one layer. Is this a limitation of using the trial or something

Jep, thats the trial... you can create up to 8 in the full-version.

Markus, I can follow and I understand the basic setup of GeoLayers with Mir.  
    But I'm having much trouble getting in close to terrain, as you show in the demo.

Guess it might be the best to provide another sampleproject similar tho the Innsbruck-Clip... and maybe an effects-preset for MIR.

I  do have one problem though, the json won't load.

Kim, would you please open a Support Ticket to figure out whats wrong on your side? https://aescripts.com/contact/

Best Regards

Markus

• Hi Markus. Thanks for getting back, I don't know if you saw that I've updated the comment. But I've gotten the world file to work now, however, the local roadmap still won't work. Something I've noticed when I compare the properties for the world file and the roadmap (on OSX), is that the even though they have the same extensions (geojson), the world file is listed as a Unix Executable File, and the other as a Document. 

I've opened a a support ticket for it and attached the aep.
    Cheers
  • Update: I've managed to change the file to a Unix Executable File through Terminal, but the folder icon still comes up empty in the list.
  • Hey Kim,

Where did you get your geojson from? Looks like it is not valid. Try to use http://converter.mygeodata.eu/  to convert to a valid geojson. I've noticed that http://mapshaper.org/ unfortunately sometimes exports these kind of corrupted files. Hope that helps!

Cheers

Markus

• Hi Markus
    I got it from a subdivision of the Copenhagen council's webpage, and you're absolutely right, the file was corrupted (or at least not suitable for this plugin - it was working through other applications). I had the database department run it through some kind of compiler, and then it worked partially. Thanks for the links, and again, you've created one hell of a cool plugin!

cheers Kim
  • Markus, I can follow and I understand the basic setup of GeoLayers with Mir.  

Guess it might be the best to provide another sampleproject similar tho the Innsbruck-Clip... and maybe an effects-preset for MIR.

Thanks Markus .... and Yes, a little help with the setup will probably take care of it.
    I'm good with the MIR setup myself; but cannot seem to get the location and angle in GeoLayers that I need for the camera view. Please help us to understand the nuances associated with this part, since it is critical for much of the Element 3D components I plan to use in the scenes.
    Many Thanks!
  • Oh ... Markus, I'm using Windows 7 64-bit and After Effects CS6 on my machine. For some reason I could not open the "Grand Canyon" example.  Maybe you saved it in After Effects CC format?
  • Hey John,

have a look at this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9e7eb33ybzfhkah/MIR_setup2 folder.zip?dl=0

might need some tweaking on the fog and stuff... just quickly done now, but thats how you would work... so do the zooming (and scrolling) with GEOlayers and the angle with a little camera rig. Use layer nr 1 to control the scene. Let me know if that helps!

Cheers

Markus

• Thanks Markus, I will study it, and I am certain it will help much!
  • Hi Markus, 
    this is an awesome tool, congratulations!
    But i am having an issue here with the panel

the buttons are "hidden"... any help?
    Thanks

• Hey Flavio,

Thanks first of all!

OK that Looks wierd... so it doesn't get fixed by rescaling the Panel I guess? Can you try running the script from the File-menue? If you still have problems please open a Support Ticket. https://aescripts.com/contact/ Like this it's easier for me to solve it.

Regards

Markus

• Hi Markus, 
    It works when i run from the file menu. But when i try to rescale the panel, it goes the same way.
    I am having this issue with others scripts too, like Vigoro. But i think it might be something about the AEcc2014. Others versions works well with all my scripts.
    Anyway, thanks for the quick feedback!

Flavio
  • Hi Markus, 
    It works when i run from the file menu. But when i try to rescale the panel, it goes the same way.
    I am having this issue with others scripts too, like Vigoro. But i think it might be something about the AEcc2014. Others versions works well with all my scripts.

Flavio
    This is a known After Effects issue on Windows 8.1 with computers with High DPI displays. We will try to work on a temporary solution but ultimately Adobe will need to fix this hopefully in the next After Effects update.
  • Markus!  I have studied the "Innsbruck" example you provided, and find it fantastic.  But I do think you will need to do a detailed tutorial on this one.
    I know it requires some of your time, but I think if you can help users to learn all the details to create scenes based on this model, you will get many sales of this script, and you will have very happy users.
    It may not seem complicated to you ..... but trust me, it requires a little depth of detail for most of us.
    Thanks for your time, and best regards!
  • Hi Markus, 

Flavio
    This is a known After Effects issue on Windows 8.1 with computers with High DPI displays. We will try to work on a temporary solution but ultimately Adobe will need to fix this hopefully in the next After Effects update.
    Hi Lloyd, thanks. 
    That is correct, i work with a Dell High DPI display. 
  • But I do think you will need to do a detailed tutorial on this one.

Hey John, I plan to do this tutorial including a new feature that I'm working on right now, so stay tuned. By the way, a quick tip on the Innbruck-example. no need to finalize the heightmap in a high resolution... 20-30% is all you need. Will keep your projects fast;)

Flavio, Guess I'll implement some none resizable UI for this high dpi issue. I'll let you know!

Cheers

Markus

• Hi Markus, 

Flavio
    Hi Lloyd, thanks. 
    That is correct, i work with a Dell High DPI display. 
    We are working on a fix but if you are in urgent need to use it, a work around is to either use a non hiDpi monitor or a different version of AE or Windows.  
  • Thanks Markus,

I purchased GeoLayers and I'm ready to go. Apparently our company has an agreement with Google maps for imaging. I followed the steps and added Google maps to the server profile. Do you know if there is a URI-Mask for Google satellite maps?
  • Hi Markus & Lloyd,
    Just installed this terrific tool but am having the same display problem as Flavio mentioned, i.e. Panel does not display the full interface.
    This pertains to CC2014, but all displays fine in CS6.
    Thought it best to include this feedback hoping that Adobe addresses this issue soon.
    Thanks,
    Derek
  • Hi Markus.

Thanks so much for this.  Makes my life so much easier.  I do have some technical questions though.

Downloads seem slow.  I'm watching the "Tiles" folder and I'm getting one tile every ten seconds roughly (Thunderforest - Opencyclemap).  These are averaging 10KB each.  Feels VERY slow.

Also, if my Ae were to crash, as it has a few times already, does GeoLayers recognise previously downloaded tiles or does the process start over again?  I'd rather wait for the tiles to finish than manually close Ae so I can change the quality value...

Thanks again!  It's worked very well so far!
  • Hello,

I just bought GEOIlayers.
    I was wondering if you have a CS6 version of that Grand Canyon example...?
     I'm not a fan of Adobe's new policies of renting softwares...

Thanks!
  • Lieber Mrkus,

ich gratuliere zu diesem genilen tool!

Bitte bitte bitte weitere tutorials!

thanks for this fantastic tool. please give us more tutuorials! Also for the tut with tracode mir
  • I generated shape-files with QGIS 2.6.1 and tried to load them with GEOLayers. In some cases a message "Invalid File" has been generated and I don't know why. Is it possible to generate additional information about what is wrong?
  • Hey Guys,
    sorry for the late reply first. I've been on holiday;)

Downloads seem slow.  I'm watching the "Tiles" folder and I'm getting one tile every ten seconds roughly (Thunderforest - Opencyclemap).  These are averaging 10KB each.  Feels VERY slow.

Also, if my Ae were to crash, as it has a few times already, does GeoLayers recognise previously downloaded tiles or does the process start over again?  I'd rather wait for the tiles to finish than manually close Ae so I can change the quality value...
    That really is slow!! GEOlayers is not the fastest downloader, but you should get about 2 to 10 downloads a second, plus some time for importing and placing. I tried it right now and the thunderforrest servers seem pretty fast. Maybe they were busy the time you tried. Yes GEOlayers is remembering a certain number of tiles that have been downloaded to keep finalizations relatively fast.

I was wondering if you have a CS6 version of that Grand Canyon example...?
    Not now unfortunately... but I plan a new tutorial with some advanced GEOlayers&MIR workflows. Gonna include a sampleproject in CS6.

I generated shape-files with QGIS 2.6.1 and tried to load them with GEOLayers. In some cases a message "Invalid File" has been generated and I don't know why. Is it possible to generate additional information about what is wrong?
    Hey Reinhold! The "invalid file" error appears when, lets say the container that holds the data is not correct. It is javascript object notation. Some apps might be more tolerant, so you read it in there. You can try to convert it again via: 
    Worked all the time for me till now. Let me know if you are good with it!

Regards
    Markus
  • Hey Guys,

a new version of GEOlayers is out!

In 1.074 we have a new feature which is individual finalization qualities, we support Mapbox' V4 API and found a workaround to display the UI to users working with CC2014 and above on Windows 8.1 with a high-DPI display. Also we tweaked the bing initialization a bit... works way faster now! 

To understand our new feature watch this: 

Regards
    Markus
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions