• I've been looking for a similiar script for a while and been thinking of VIGORO.

I've heard that VIGORO is quite heavy and eats a lot of resources quickly... How does Overlap compare to VIGORO, what would I miss if I would go with Overlap? 

Is there a way to randomize the overlap? That would be super useful! :)
  • Hi Miika,
    Thanks for the interest in Overlap. I have only used VIGORO briefly, but from what I can tell, Overlap's biggest advantage would be speed.
    • You choose which properties, expressions, and controls to add to your project, so Overlap doesn't bog down your workflow with heavy expression computation. It's a lightweight addition to your project.
    • Also, Overlap doesn't make you reorganize your project's layers, nor does it add controllers/nulls/adjustment layers...it applies overlap & controls to your existing layers.
    • Overlap works with Shape layers so you can have really complex overlapping animation within one layer.
    I'm sure VIGORO does some things differently...I'd download Demos of both and see which you like better. Thanks again!
  • Compatibility only lists CC versions of AE as supported - is that just because it hasn't been tested in earlier versions, or are some features not compatible? I just downloaded the try-out and it seems to work OK in CS6, although some features are disabled in the trial.
  • Hi Matthew,
    Thanks for the message. I was only able to test the script on CC and CC 2014 before today's release, but there are plans to test on previous versions soon.
  • How would you use that for character animations, let's say hair or a pony tail of a girl when rigged with duik? Could you use the head as the master and the pony tails last puppet pin/null as the follower?
  • Hi Christoph,
    Good question. Did you watch this tutorial?

It goes through a process similar to what you're describing (using a duik and a robot's antenna).
    Off the top of my head, If you're looking to overlap position x & y, you could:
    1. rig the pony tail with puppet pins
    2. make bones with duik (add IK controller if you want)
    3. keyframe position on your head
    4. select your head, then bones, & run Overlap
    5. For FK, check the 'Maintain Original' (to keep the various puppet pins where they were when you started). IK could just be plain overlap (no 'Maintain Original' with your head).
    6. Click OK
    The video should give you some ideas. Thanks!
  • That looks interesting and is probably exactly what I need. I'll play a little with the trial. Thanks Kevin.
  • Is there a way to randomize timing of the overlap? In Overlap you can randomize the order in which objects are overlapped. But let's say you have 20 layers at the same location and you want to make the 19 layers to follow your control layer, but in a way where those 19 layers have varying/random delay. Being able to randomize different values could help a lot! 
  • You can randomize the factor and the order of the indices, but there isn't currently a way to randomize the Frame Delay. This is a great idea and I've made a note of it as a feature request. Thanks Miika!
  • Is it possible that Overlap does not support the german language?
    It seems the script is broken and does not work with After Effects CC2014 german under OS X 10.10.3.

It seems the script is broken and does not work with After Effects CC2014 german under OS X 10.10.3.

This bug was fixed with Overlap 1.0.1

This bug was fixed with Overlap 1.0.1
  • Thank you for the quick response.
  • You can randomize the factor and the order of the indices, but there isn't currently a way to randomize the Frame Delay. This is a great idea and I've made a note of it as a feature request. Thanks Miika!
    This could/would change the way you can work with overlap. Adding delays & ability to randomize the delay etc. If you could tweak velocity and have random velocity as well... that would be great!

Because one of the key things in Overlap are duplicate objects... it would be great if in the Overlap UI Panel there would be a field where you can enter a number and click a duplicate button which would create duplicates of the active object. If I need 20 duplicates of the same layer, now I need to click 20 times CTRL +D, when I could do it easily with a simple feature within Overlap.
    This could/would change the way you can work with overlap. Adding delays & ability to randomize the delay etc. If you could tweak velocity and have random velocity as well... that would be great!

Because one of the key things in Overlap are duplicate objects... it would be great if in the Overlap UI Panel there would be a field where you can enter a number and click a duplicate button which would create duplicates of the active object. If I need 20 duplicates of the same layer, now I need to click 20 times CTRL +D, when I could do it easily with a simple feature within Overlap.
    Another great suggestion, thank you! I duplicate layers a lot before using Overlap too. Noted.
  • Thank you for the quick response.
    This bug was fixed with Overlap v1.0.1
  • I download the tryal of Overlap, but I can not open it. The massage was: The file you are attempting to open was create with After Effect version 12.0 (Machintosh 64) and can not be open this version. I have AE CS6. I don't know which version I have. Can you help me?
  • I download the tryal of Overlap, but I can not open it. The massage was: The file you are attempting to open was create with After Effect version 12.0 (Machintosh 64) and can not be open this version. I have AE CS6. I don't know which version I have. Can you help me?
    Hi Grace!
    It sounds like you're trying to open the Transitions project that comes with Overlap (Transitions.aep). The compatibility for Overlap (and the Transitions project) is currently After Effects CC and higher.

For installing the script,
    The Overlap script (.jsxbin) goes into:
    (Windows) Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects ***\Support Files\Scripts\ScriptUI Panels
    (Mac OS) Applications/Adobe After Effects ***/Scripts/ScriptUI Panels
  • Just bought it! And I'm hoping your going to add/tweak/update it before you release paid update :D

One simple feature that would also be useful would be the ability to make the "sub/following" layers to become SHY layers. This should be something that you could toggle on/off, because sometimes you dont want to shy the layers, but sometimes it would be really useful to be able to do so straight from the Overlap.
  • Great work!

I have a question though. When I use this script, will I be able to share my files with other people that don't have Overlap? For instance, is there some kind of Bake feature? I can't tell from the tutorial.

Either way, the script looks amazing.

• Just bought it! And I'm hoping your going to add/tweak/update it before you release paid update :D

One simple feature that would also be useful would be the ability to make the "sub/following" layers to become SHY layers. This should be something that you could toggle on/off, because sometimes you dont want to shy the layers, but sometimes it would be really useful to be able to do so straight from the Overlap.
    Thank you Miika for the purchase and for all the great suggestions! I hope you like it.
  • Great work!

I have a question though. When I use this script, will I be able to share my files with other people that don't have Overlap? For instance, is there some kind of Bake feature? I can't tell from the tutorial.Either way, the script looks amazing.
    Hi Jason!
    Thanks a lot for your encouraging words. You can definitely share files that have Overlap with people who don't have the Overlap script. To see for yourself, if you download the trial, before you install the script, you can open the Transitions project that comes with Overlap. You should have no problem working with the files. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks again.
  • I tried the script Overlap ysterday. I follow the movie you gave me, how to learn. But in the script I cant not open some function like: Rename Driver, Auto Orient, Maintain Original and Invert Controls.

What did I wrong?
  • Hey,
    Just got the script, registered and all but still get a "This feature is not available in trial mode." when I hit the Randomize button.

A sweet feature would be, instead of just removing the Overlap on the layers, keep the current positions, animations etc to sort of baking the expressions on each layer (or rather copying the keyframes into the proper positions on each layer.)

• I tried the script Overlap ysterday. I follow the movie you gave me, how to learn. But in the script I cant not open some function like: Rename Driver, Auto Orient, Maintain Original and Invert Controls.

What did I wrong?
    Hi Grace,
    You did nothing wrong. This bug was fixed with v1.0.2. Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience!
  • Hey,
    Just got the script, registered and all but still get a "This feature is not available in trial mode." when I hit the Randomize button.

A sweet feature would be, instead of just removing the Overlap on the layers, keep the current positions, animations etc to sort of baking the expressions on each layer (or rather copying the keyframes into the proper positions on each layer.)

Hi Tobias!
    Thank you for the purchase. This bug was fixed. Please download the latest version.

And thank you for the feature request! Great idea!
  • Hi Just wanted to make sure but does this software work with AE CS6. Thanks Anastacia
  • Hi Just wanted to make sure but does this software work with AE CS6. Thanks Anastacia
    Hi Anastacia! Thanks for your interest in Overlap. I was able to test Overlap on CS6 and everything worked for me. I haven't listed it as compatible with CS6 yet because one of the dialog windows (for Auto Orient) didn't look so great and at times went blank. Otherwise though, it works perfectly. If you're interested, give the demo a try! Thanks again. 
  • Hi Kevin,

You've done a really nice work ! Just a few thing : it seems that Overlap doesn't support french language. Not really a problem because I can launch AE in english but... ;-)

Thank you
  • Hi Kevin,

You've done a really nice work ! Just a few thing : it seems that Overlap doesn't support french language. Not really a problem because I can launch AE in english but... ;-)

Thank you
    Hi Philippe, I've sent you a private message about this. It should hopefully be fixed by installing the latest version of Overlap. Thank you! :)
  • There must be something I don't understand about the script. When I try to create a screen which animates on and off, like the position starting off screen and then landing on screen, instead of my other layers doing the same thing, they all push off the screen as the first item comes on, so they are offset but not how you would expect? If I animate everything from where the screen is 'complete' to being offscreen and then back on again, everything works as expected. If I attempt to just slide the extra keyframes to the left of the 'zero' frame on the timeline, the problem comes back. What am I missing?
  • This script has been a really great tool and I find myself using it regularly. 

I do keep running into a particular bug with it. I've got multiple comps open and each has their own Overlap functions applied. When I try and delete the overlap code from one comp (using the Overlap delete button) it'll delete the first comp I had used Overlap on instead of the layers I had selected. 

When you get the chance, is there any way to fix this in a future update?
  • There must be something I don't understand about the script. When I try to create a screen which animates on and off, like the position starting off screen and then landing on screen, instead of my other layers doing the same thing, they all push off the screen as the first item comes on, so they are offset but not how you would expect? If I animate everything from where the screen is 'complete' to being offscreen and then back on again, everything works as expected. If I attempt to just slide the extra keyframes to the left of the 'zero' frame on the timeline, the problem comes back. What am I missing?
    Bo and I worked together on this. We got it working by having 'Maintain Original' checked and moving all of the layers (rather than just the driver) offscreen.
  • This script has been a really great tool and I find myself using it regularly. 

I do keep running into a particular bug with it. I've got multiple comps open and each has their own Overlap functions applied. When I try and delete the overlap code from one comp (using the Overlap delete button) it'll delete the first comp I had used Overlap on instead of the layers I had selected. 

When you get the chance, is there any way to fix this in a future update?
    Hi Nick, thank you for your feedback. This is an issue I considered when making Overlap. I thought it might be cool to have a readout that showed which of your Overlaps is held in memory, but erred on the side of UI simplicity. Now I'm thinking I might need to consider another solution. It is a great idea that I will look into when the time comes. Thank you!
  • Great script, very useful.
    However, it would be very useful to be able to select the DRIVER layer and click REMOVE and have it remove ALL expressions in case I want to re-order the layers, etc. For now, I have to type EE and go in and delete all the expressions manually.

Otherwise, very useful script.
  • Great script, very useful.
    However, it would be very useful to be able to select the DRIVER layer and click REMOVE and have it remove ALL expressions in case I want to re-order the layers, etc. For now, I have to type EE and go in and delete all the expressions manually.

Otherwise, very useful script.
    Hi James,
    Thank you for the message. That's a good suggestion and I agree that this would be helpful. One thing you can do in the meantime is reselect your Driver and Driven layers and re-Overlap them. Then you can click the Clear button which will delete all of the expressions. 
    clear.png
    31 x 36 - 4K
  • I've only recently started using this and seem to be having issues with the opacity parameter and maintaining the original position of my driven layers, so wondered if I anyone could suggest anything. The scenario: I have a layer (driver) with keyframed position & opacity. When I use Maintain Original, only the position parameter is used across the driven layers. If I don't use Maintain Original, the position and opacity parameters are both used, but of course that changes all my driven layers to the position of the driver layer. It's not something I can resolve with position offset, unfortunately. Thanks for any responses and sorry if I haven't given enough information. Chris.
  • I've only recently started using this and seem to be having issues with the opacity parameter and maintaining the original position of my driven layers, so wondered if I anyone could suggest anything. The scenario: I have a layer (driver) with keyframed position & opacity. When I use Maintain Original, only the position parameter is used across the driven layers. If I don't use Maintain Original, the position and opacity parameters are both used, but of course that changes all my driven layers to the position of the driver layer. It's not something I can resolve with position offset, unfortunately. Thanks for any responses and sorry if I haven't given enough information. Chris.
    Hi Chris,
    If Maintain Original is used, the value of your Opacity will need to be the same at the start of your layers. For example, if your Driver is transitioning from 50% to 100%, it will be adding 50% to all of the Driven layers. If they are starting at 100%, then the opacity Overlap will appear to not have any effect (as there's no where to go above 100%). I've attached an example project with a Maintain Original setup. Please let me know if you need any more support with this issue. Thank you for using Overlap.
    zip
    zip
    OverlapTest.aep.zip
  • Hi ! I have a question. Is overlap can copy keyframes with expressions ? Like i make an bouncing ball, with ease and wize or duik, and can repeat that with overlap ? Thanks for the response !
  • Hi ! I have a question. Is overlap can copy keyframes with expressions ? Like i make an bouncing ball, with ease and wize or duik, and can repeat that with overlap ? Thanks for the response !
    Hi Adrien,
    As long as your animation has start and end keyframes, it will work. Ease and Wizz, Duik, loopOuts, etc. will all work with Overlap. I have attached an example using Ease and Wizz with Overlap. In my tutorial on Overlap and Character Rigs, I use Duik.

Animations based on time, that are infinite will not. For example, if this was in the position expression:
    x = (time / thisComp.frameDuration) * 10; value + [x, 0]

zip
    zip
    Ease_and_Wizz_Example.aep.zip
  • great script, Kevin, thank you. i'm especially happy about being able to animate mask paths with it!

i am curious about how if you can have the driver be the center item ('C', for example) and having A&B animate left of it and D&E animate to the right (index A=1, B=2, C=0, D=4, E=5, i guess)
  • great script, Kevin, thank you. i'm especially happy about being able to animate mask paths with it!

i am curious about how if you can have the driver be the center item ('C', for example) and having A&B animate left of it and D&E animate to the right (index A=1, B=2, C=0, D=4, E=5, i guess)
    Hi Philip,
    If I understand you correctly, you can do this with selection order and then changing the Index Control on each layer. Select C first, then B and D, then A and E (working your way outwards). Then you can select your layers and go into their Effect Controls. Play with these Indices to get the order you want. I've attached an example.
    zip
    zip
    CenterObject.aep.zip
  • yes, that's what i was asking about. perfect, thanks for figuring out my question. can i ask how you changed the index numbers, made c=0? i see how you did the others ("var factorIndex = 4;")
  • yes, that's what i was asking about. perfect, thanks for figuring out my question. can i ask how you changed the index numbers, made c=0? i see how you did the others ("var factorIndex = 4;")
    Hi Philip,
    Check out this video tutorial at 8:19 to learn about Overlap's Index Controls:

Basically, you have an option to add dynamic Index Controls to the Driven layers (see OverlapOptions.jpg, attached). With that checked, when you run Overlap, it will place Index Controls in the Effect Controls of all of the Driven layers (see IndexControl.jpg, attached).

Let me know if you have any more questions. 
    OverlapOptions.jpg
    224 x 417 - 14K
    IndexControl.jpg
    579 x 170 - 12K
  • Hello
    can you tell me if Overlap work with After Effects CS6. Thank you
  • Hello
    can you tell me if Overlap work with After Effects CS6. Thank you
    Hi Michel,
    Thank you for your interest in Overlap. This was mentioned in the above comments...

I was able to test Overlap on CS6 and everything worked for me. I haven't listed it as compatible with CS6 yet because one of the dialog windows (for Auto Orient) didn't look so great and at times went blank. Otherwise though, it works perfectly. If you're interested, give the demo a try! Thanks again. 
  • Hi Kevin,
     I had read your comment on this matter. I hoped that since you would have made the other tests. I am French and my English is not very good. Thank you for your answer. I am going to download try version.
    :)
  • Hi Adrien,
    As long as your animation has start and end keyframes, it will work. Ease and Wizz, Duik, loopOuts, etc. will all work with Overlap. I have attached an example using Ease and Wizz with Overlap. In my tutorial on Overlap and Character Rigs, I use Duik.
    Thx for the answer, i take the scipt today !
  • Hello, I make tests with the trial version on After CS6.
    I cannot reach buttons " Auto-Orient, Rename driver, Maintain Original, Invert Control ". They are grey. I cannot click on.
    Can you think because it's trial version?
    Thank 
  • Hello, I make tests with the trial version on After CS6.
    I cannot reach buttons " Auto-Orient, Rename driver, Maintain Original, Invert Control ". They are grey. I cannot click on.
    Can you think because it's trial version?
    Thank 
    Thanks for trying it out. Yes, that is because of the trial version.