pt_OpenSesame
  • pt_OpenSesame
    pt_OpenSesame

https://aescripts.com/pt_opensesame/

OpenSesame brings backwards compatibility to After Effects, exporting projects that can be opened in any version from CS3 or later. Projects are exported as human readable text files that can also be edited in a text editor or spreadsheet in various ways, such as changing text layers, colors, footage and file paths.

• Yay, finally update is here!
    Thank you Paul, your script saved my life a hundreds times! ;)
  • Seems to be a problem bringing over colour gradients on Layer Styles. Going from CS6 to CS4. Gradients return to default White to Black
    Pi
  • Yes this is a known limitation. Unfortunately scripts can't access "custom data" values which includes the Gradient property. It should be listed in the export log as not being able to export. You'll have to manually recreate the gradient setting in CS4.
  • Hi Paul,

each time I export special characters, like " (quotation marks) and ~ (tilde) etc, I wont import back in the same way. Are you planning on fixing this in the next version?

And it would also be very welcome to be able to export layer colours to cs3.

Other than those minor things, Open Sesame is an awesome and superuseful thing!

Jeroen
  • Hi Jeroen, Are you talking about those special characters being in text layers? And are you editing the text file externally or just doing a straight export/import conversion? I will look into this when I get the time. You could try enabling the "Excel safe mode" option in the help/prefs to see if that works better, but that probably only helps if you're editing the text file in Excel before importing.

Scripting support for label/layer colours only exists in CS5+ so I'm already supporting it where possible.

• Hello. Does this software have the capibility of importing an adobe AE CS5 template into adobe AE CS4? I recently purchased templates from VideoHive, without realizing that they work only in CS5. Currently I am using CS4. Any suggestions, other than upgrading?

• Hi Terry, Someone would first need to use OpenSesame to export the project from CS5 to the OpenSesame text file format, which could then be imported (again using OpenSesame) into CS4. You could download the trial version of CS5 and do this yourself, or you could get someone with CS5 to use the trial version of OpenSesame to export the project for you. Due to certain limitations with the script, there may be a few things that don't convert properly, and these would be hard for you to correct without having the project open in CS5 too as reference.

Quite a few authors on VideoHive use OpenSesame to convert their template projects into earlier versions for this very reason. I'd recommend letting them know you'd like a CS4 version so they're aware of the level of demand for older formats.
  • Hi, I'm trying opensesame out for the first time and it keeps hanging -- gets to 3.62% Footage and just stops -- any ideas?
  • Hi Mihai, This is during an import? If you look in the logs for a file ending "import failed on.txt" this should tell you what footage it's having a problem with. You could try moving that footage so it doesn't try to import it. If you're still having problems you could click the [ ? ] help and check the "Don't import footage" preference. This way the project should import but you'll have to manually relink the missing footage.

Please open a support ticket so I can look into this further. If it's an OpenSesame bug, I'd like to fix it. 
  • Hi Paul,

I'm trying to export a few projects all of which get stuck at certain percentages when the script is exporting values. Any ideas? 

- Graham
  • Hi Graham, I don't know what it could be but I'm sure I can work it out pretty quickly. Could you please open a support ticket and send the partially exported text file and if possible the AE project you're trying to export (no footage needed). 
  • Hello Paul. Your script pt_OpenSesame is a huge time saver. Really great job you did here.
    However, I encountered few problems with exporting from CS5 and opening *.tsv file in CS5/CS4/CS3. The problem is with Light objects. It seems that Light values are not transferred correctly. Parallel and Point Lights don't transfer shadow information correctly.

(export -> import)
    1. Parallel Light without shadows -> Parallel Light with shadows;
    2. Point Light without shadows -> Point Light with shadows;
    3. Point Light with shadows have messed up values: Point Light with Shadows, Shadow Diffusion 0 -> Point Light with shadow BUT Shadow Diffusion 50.

All other parameters seems to be working just fine.

However, I was testing with demo version, so maybe full version don't have these issues, but I just wanted to point them to you in case you don't know.

Cheers mate.

• Hi Tomas, Many thanks for point this out. I've fixed this now so it will be in the next update out soon.

Some users have recently reported a major bug that can cause a project export to fail. I've tracked down the problem and a fix for this will also be in the next update but get in touch if you're having the problem right now.

• Hi Paul. Thanks for quick response.
    Is there any way to contact you with some other little small bugs? Don't want to flood them here:)
  • Hi Tomas, Please open a support ticket and send them over.
  • Hi Paul,

In the trial version of pt_Open Sesame, does the trial version not EXPORT effects, or just not IMPORT them? I'm assuming the latter. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Mike
  • Hi Mike, Yes the trial version does export the effects. The limitation is just that it doesn't import them.
    Paul
  • Great - thanks Paul.
  • In case anybody is wondering: Mesh Warp won't be exported/imported
  • Unfortunately, effect properties that aren't numeric values, checkboxes or pulldowns are typically classed as 'custom data' which can't be accessed by scripting and therefore can't be exported by pt_OpenSesame. You should still find that 99% of your project can be converted, which is considerably better than having to recreate the whole thing manually. The export log lists any items that couldn't be exported. Some things will be harder to recreate manually than others, with Mesh Warp being one such example.
    Paul
  • Hi Paul, 

Thanks so much for this script, it's really very helpful. I had a quick question regarding the export of in/out times on layers. Is there any way to limit the amount of decimal points or even convert it to timecode? Currently my inpoint for a layer goes from inPoint:10.3436770103437 to outPoint:20.3536870203537 When we're transcribing the data we simply don't need so much information. We'd simply prefer to have 10:08 to 20:08. Just curious if there's a setting in after effects I can change to get this. Thanks in advance, very much appreciated.
  • Hi Taso, There's no way to do this in AE or OpenSesame currently. This is how AE works with time values in scripting (in seconds) and I keep the full precision to ensure an accurate project conversion. If you're moving the data into another form of spreadsheet you may be able to come up with some process in the spreadsheet app to do this for you. Could you give me an idea of the workflow you need this for?
  • Sure, basically we're creating a "seek and find" app using short form videos. I'll go through a video we have and create layers to mark "hotspots" for the items that need to be found. The developer needs to know the XY of the layer, it's length and width and it's in/out time. I get all this from OpenSesame which is great but it seems his code takes the actual videos time code into account and not the time values. 
  • It sounds like a better option would be to create a custom script that is tailored specifically to your need. Adding timecode support to OpenSesame could be a significant amount of work with no real benefit for most users. If you'd like to email me at [email protected] we can continue this conversation.

If anyone else would like to see editable timecode in the OpenSesame text file format, please let me know so I can consider it for a future version.
  • Hi Paul, I am using AE CS6. I want to open "pt_opensesame" error. Please help me.
    Regards, Max.
  • Hi Max, can you explain what the problem is? It's probably best if you open a support ticket.
  • Hi, every time I have exported from Cs6 to Cs5, all footages loosed the path.
    How can fix it
    Its impossible to re-link one by one, manual

Thanks

• Are you importing it on a different computer from the one you used to export it? Or do you have any unusual characters in your footage filepath names (i.e. colons, forward/backslashes)? If you open a support ticket we can talk about this directly.

Paul
  • Yes, I'm Importing form another computer.
    The files hasn't unusual characters neither the file path.
    And It's has another trouble. Every time a have exported this message appears.
    Problem with the width and the Height.

PSD Layer Name:Layer 1/SECOM_TELA_006.ai ID:133 FolderID:111 Width:1 Height:1 Aspect:1 Label:5

Regards Guilherme

• Please open a support ticket and we can go into your issues in detail. In general the footage should be in either the same absolute file location or if not, a location relative to the original AE project or exported text file.

If that width/height error came up on import rather than export, perhaps you have multiple layers in the illustrator file with the same name?

Paul
  • Paul
    "there is any way to reconnected the files at once?"
    Thanks

• Only by importing again and ensuring the footage is in either the same absolute file location, or a location relative to the project as it was during import. Unfortunately scripting doesn't have access to the "Missing file path" system that AE uses which lets it relink all missing footage in a regular project.

As I said, it would be better to email me so we don't fill up this discussion thread.

Paul

• Hi, If we only have cs6 or cs5.5 installed. How do we make use of your script to open a 5.5.1 file?
  • Was there a CS5.5.1 update? Projects from minor updates are generally compatible with earlier versions of that main release (i.e. CS5.5.1 projects would open in CS5.5).

If you're trying to get a project created in a later major release into an earlier one, it requires getting someone with that later release to export it using OpenSesame first, or you could download a trial of the latest version of AE, open the project in that then use OpenSesame to export it. If you get someone else to do it (such as the person providing the project) they can use the trial version of OS to export it. The only limitation with the trial is that effects aren't imported, but they are exported during the first step in the process.

But also, since CS5.5 After Effects has been able to save projects one version back, so OpenSesame is mainly useful if you need to go back multiple versions or back earlier than CS5.
  • Hi Paul,
    Thanks so much for this script I've been using it since it first came out and it's provided a lot of value for me.

I downloaded the newest version of the script and I'm having trouble with it in CS4. When I try to import a project the script crashes at 36% every time. I exported from CS5. I thought at first that maybe I was accidentally using two different versions of the script but that's not the case. Any ideas on why this would be happening? The exported project didn't have any errors

Thanks again!
    Marissa

• Hi Marissa, If you can open a support ticket I'll look into it. Please attach the text file you're trying to import along with the log file that will have been created named 'import failed on'. If you can send the original AE project exported from CS5 that might be helpful too.
  • Nevermind Paul I found the offending psd file, removed it, and was successfully able to convert the project into CS4. I wasn't aware fail logs were generated. After checking them I found out what the issue was. Thanks again for your help and for such a great script!
  • Hi there, I have some files that I want to pass onto a co-worker. I'm in
    CC2014, but also have CC2012 and CS6 installed. He's on version CS5, so
    we're just half a version away from being able to just save back
    normally (I can save back to CS5.5).

My company has
    just purchased 2 licenses of OpenSesame, but it's just not working for
    us. I can export a file and then import it back in, both to and from
    CC2014 and CS6. But when I try importing in CS5, it just hangs there,
    getting stuck while importing the layers (at around 10%). This is the
    case if I use relative or absolute paths. I thought that perhaps it was a
    Mac/PC thing, but I get the same issue on either platform.

If
    I tell it not to import layers, then it works, but then I need to
    manually replace each and every layer. Usually when I go to replace a
    layer, AE finds any other missing ones, but that doesn't happen. I can't
    recall if that's just how CS5 behaved, or if it's a different issue?

Any thoughts here?

Thanks,
    Mike
  • When it gets stuck on import, check the logs for a file called "import failed on". Much like the last question on this page, you may find that by temporarily moving that problem file during import, it will import the rest properly then you just need to relink that one file.
    It's possible that footage contains something that isn't supported in CS5 which is causing the failure. I'd certainly be interested in finding out what it is if you don't mind opening a support ticket and sending me the project, the OS text file and offending footage.
    Unfortunately scripting doesn't allow adding the missing path to the placeholder in the way that AE needs to relink multiple missing files at once.
  • I have a lot of problem with fonts.
    Save from AE CC to CS 5.5 and ALL fonts are messed up.
    Also, guides are not supported, witch make it difficult to compare the to version.

I understand there is limitation from this pipeline but for me now it's pain in the ass.
    I also understand it's a alternative of the bigger problem : why AE does not offer older versioning directly in the software
    But Still, I already spend 3h now to fix everything at my client office.

For 70 $ I'm really disappointed so far. 
  • Hi Olivier, do your text layers have multiple styles on a single layer? Unfortunately scripts can't deal with that and it's listed as a known limitation. If you are able to run both copies of AE on the same machine, you can copy and paste the text layer contents between the two versions perfectly, as shown in the tutorial. Likewise, scripts don't have access to guides.
    Hopefully it's still saved you time compared to recreating everything manually. Obviously if a project mostly contains the things in the limitations list it will not be as good an experience as with projects that use all the other things it does support.
    Paul
  • Hi Paul,
    I'm sorry to be rude in my last comment.
    Yes it's saved me a lot of time already... I understand limitations and it's a lot of frustrating from Adobe mostly. 

I can also observed 3 things : 
    1- at the import, all text layer it will change the «Tracking» value to put the value the palette had before importation.
    2- Type layer will also change the Kerning to «Metric» automatically (when it was set to Optical)
    3- Time markers on layers stays, but not the markers on timelines.

Is there something you can do about that?
  • Hi Paul, is OpenSesame able to retrieve image which is not a footage, but is presented as a proxy to composition? In my case it doesnt work. Thanks in advance
  • OpenSesame doesn't currently support proxies. If you open a support ticket and explain in detail what you're trying to do, I'll see if I can help.
  • Hi Paul,
    can OpenSesame be used to change footage paths to relative?  Ive downloaded the trial and have tried "favoring relative" and changing the paths several times but I cant seem to get it to stick.  I am trying to use a render service and I need to have all my footage paths relative.

Thanks in advance.  If OpenSesame can do this you will have an immediate sale!

• Hi Nick, If you're using relative paths then the item in the footage line of the text file needs to be called RelativePath: is that the case with what you're trying? Whether it outputs the RelativePath: option to the text file depends on your settings in the bottom of the Edit List window. The text file can contain both Path: and RelativePath: and that's where the 'favor' pref is useful. If you're currently trying it using Path: you can just rename that as RelativePath: in the text file.

But it might be best if you do at least a test export, with footage on the same drive as you export the project, and with "Footage: Absolute & relative paths" enabled in the Edit List window, so you can see the FootageBase: item added to the first line / header section and how that part of the path relates to the remainder of the path on the footage line.

When using relative paths, it will attempt to locate relative path footage using both the current location of the text file when imported and also the FootageBase: path in the header, so you can use that to essentially have two base path locations.

Hope that helps.
    Paul
  • Hi Paul,

Will OpenSesame also support AE CC2015 in the near future?

Thanks,

Theo
  • Hi Theo,
     It does support CC 2015 and already did prior to the v1.6 update as far as I'm aware. As of v1.6 it now also also supports the export/import of variable mask feathers where possible. It is designed to be future proof, but obviously I can't guarantee that always. If you ever run into any problems, please open a support ticket.
    Paul
  • Oh, super!
    Thanks.
  • Hello,
    I just started working with open sesame and all I wanted to do was change the text. When I completed the text edits in excel, I imported the file into After Effects. The text edits were made but I am getting "%" where there is suppose to be a space. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks