aescripts + aeplugins manager app public beta
  • Very cool, is there a way for it to recognize what is already installed prior to using the new app? It's showing none as installed, only if i install it with the app will it show what version I have installed. 
  • Mac Only for now????    :(  That sucks....  I hate Mac,  good product..evil company.
  • Very cool, is there a way for it to recognize what is already installed prior to using the new app? It's showing none as installed, only if i install it with the app will it show what version I have installed. 
    Unfortuantely not but once you've installed all your products with the app it will be able to track it and notify you of updates. Since it's just one click to install everything this shouldn't be a big deal :)
  • Mac Only for now????    :(  That sucks....  I hate Mac,  good product..evil company.
    Don't worry there will be a Windows version, we just started with mac thats' all. Stay tuned for the windows version soon.
  • It would be cool if the app picked up already installed plugins/scripts.  Currently, it seems it's not seeing anything that is already installed.  So far, really digging this.

Edit: Never mind.  Saw Lloyd's answer the the same question.
  • It would be cool if the app picked up already installed plugins/scripts.  Currently, it seems it's not seeing anything that is already installed.  So far, really digging this.

We would obvsiouly love to do this but for various technical reasons this is not possible but as I pointed out above just install everything once with the app and you're good to go from then on!
    We would obvsiouly love to do this but for various technical reasons this is not possible but as I pointed out above just install everything once with the app and you're good to go from then on!

Cool, thanks Lloyd. Is there any known issues with installing from the app over pre-existing installations?  I guess we'll find out shortly! :)
  • Tried installing Voronoi Shatter v2.2 with the app this morning and it didn't install all the necessary resources. Was missing a folder that is required by the script.
  • Tried installing Voronoi Shatter v2.2 with the app this morning and it didn't install all the necessary resources. Was missing a folder that is required by the script.
    Hey Kyle,
     the app already handles installation of resources but some scripts or plugins are not ready yet for automatic installs. They'll soon be though, and in this case you need to do a manual install (right-click the product and choose Reveal Installer Files to access the files).
    Hey Kyle,
     the app already handles installation of resources but some scripts or plugins are not ready yet for automatic installs. They'll soon be though, and in this case you need to do a manual install (right-click the product and choose Reveal Installer Files to access the files).
    I have my scripts in a Dropbox folder so it was easy enough to do it manually, just thought I would share since this is still in beta! Thanks!
  • Cool, thanks Lloyd. Is there any known issues with installing from the app over pre-existing installations?  I guess we'll find out shortly! :)
    No there should not be but please try it and give us feedback either way
  • After installing the app, nothing happens when trying to launch it.
  • This is terrific.  Will be a great time-saver, and much more convenient than having to scroll through pages of purchases to find a specific title and it's update status.  Would be great if it also contained a "wish list" of scripts you want to tag for future purchase.
  • I just downloaded and ran the installer for all of my scripts/plugins. I received a "no compatible host" message for quite a few of them (I'm assuming this is an AE CC 2015 issue), and the TV Distortion Bundle installer was opened 5 times at once. The Plexus installer was opened as well. Is it normal behavior for the individual installers to be opened, or is the package supposed to handle everything?
  • Thanks Skye,
    some products may not have valid compatibility info (and may indeed not be flagged as compatible with CC 2015) so the next versions will track this. Also in the future products that use external installers will have their installation done through the app. However it's weird that one of the installers was open several times so write me directly to check this. 

Edit: nervemind, we're working on the TV Distortion installers issue
  • Thanks for the invitation Lloyd, i´ll try the mac version. But I think you´ll only can give you a good feedback on windows, I have a Mac but not for After Effects working. Waiting Win version anxiously.  
  • Doesnt appear to install c4d plugins properly on Mac
  • Doesnt appear to install c4d plugins properly on Mac
    Thanks for the feedback, can you give us a specific example so we can look into it?
  • Can I pick the install location? Right now I use Dropbox to sync my scripts & plugins.
  • Can I pick the install location? Right now I use Dropbox to sync my scripts & plugins.
    you mean that you load them directly from Dropbox?

• HI! Love the idea of this APP. However it will not accept my username and password. sign in and out on the webpage with not problem. 

have copy and pasted as well as typing in with no success.

Thanks
  • installed and trying it out, main issue is the terminal command line which is taking up 20% of the window with no way to click or see whats behind it. items at the top of the list are totally unviewable.
    Screen Shot 2015-09-20 at 1.40.55 AM.png
    2788 x 1568 - 722K

not sure, but i think he means to install from local directory. 
    i actually like this idea, if I could select a folder with all my plugins on dropbox and batch install them all... would be nice :)
  • installed and trying it out, main issue is the terminal command line which is taking up 20% of the window with no way to click or see whats behind it. items at the top of the list are totally unviewable.
    Hit Shift+Tab to hide the terminal, we should have mentioned that.
    Can I pick the install location? Right now I use Dropbox to sync my scripts & plugins.

not sure, but i think he means to install from local directory. 
    i actually like this idea, if I could select a folder with all my plugins on dropbox and batch install them all... would be nice :)
    I think he means selecting the destination folder, not the source (which would not make much sense in our case). Selecting custom install paths for AE etc will soon be possible.
    What do you mean exactly: in my case my AE Scripts folder is a symbolic link to a Dropbox folder. When the app installs a plugin or script for AE, it follows the symbolic link and actually installs it in Dropbox.

Note that syncing scripts and plugins is sort of what the app does too, so now you could just have the app installed on al the machines you use and wouldn't have to worry about storing installers on Dropbox.
  • ... and batch install them all... would be nice :)
    This is the entire point of this app but it gets the installers from our servers so you always have the latest one. You do realize you can select all the items in the list and batch install them all in one click right?
  • Hi there,

this looks fantastic, thanks for the awesome initiative and work on this.

Now, a few things:

•  I am having problems with some installations as the program says there is no host application for it (trapcode mir 2 for example) is this a common issue of the beta app or should I check my software.

• is it suppose to install the licenses automatically? doesn't seem to do such a thing, but I am loving the idea. Does anyone else have the same issue?

• batch installing is fab, but some times not appropiated if all of them go to the main folder. In my case I use "quick menu" to handle most of the scripts, so I keep my menu clean. It would be a nightmare to search through so many scripts. What could be amazing is the capability to create lists of scripts (and plugins perhaps) so depending on the job I can quickly install or replace the tools I know I need. 

batch installing on a separate folder as option would be a bonus.

This type of scenario could help massively for freelancing using client's other computers.

• Seems that all the scripts do end on the same folder (panels folder) and some times that is not the right place (like with "quick menu"), so again, the possibility of creating lists that also target specific user chosen folders would be fantastic and appropriate.

Amazing work anyway!

Cheers,

Miguel

• Hi Miguel,

concerning the "No Host app" issue, it's usually coming from incomplete compatibility info for a product. So try a "custom install" if you see this with the beta.

No it shouldn't license automatically right now, since if AE isn't running we can't license scripts. We could check if AE is running while you install, and in this case license the products. However licensing everything is just a matter of hitting Cmd+A and click the License button.

For the "quick menu" thing: where does quick menu look for scripts if they're not in the Scripts folder?
    I agree that we need to be able to create groups or folders for scripts, but it won't be for right now. One idea was to have an "Out of office" mode where when you're using the app on a client computer, when you close the app or log out the app uninstalls and unregisters the scripts you installed. But that won't be for v1.

Concerning the wrong install folders this is only for the scripts that have not yet been updated by their authors to work with the updater app, but in the end all products will be installed at the right place.

• So I've been using the desktop app for a bit and I really like it. The concept is great and for the most part it does it's job well. I have been having a handful of issues with it though, so I'm going to just list them all out:

1) Sometimes when I launch the app it immediately crashes. This will happen 2 or 3 times before it launches successfully. When it does launch I'm often not logged in and the All Products screen is empty. If I click the login button in the main window or try to change accounts from the menu, clicking those options does nothing, I'll have to log out from the menu before I am able to log back in. Unfortunately, while I've been having this problem sporadically since I installed the app, I haven't been able to reproduce it for the last two days... go figure. I did just go into the Console and found 29 crash logs from the last month, so I zipped them up and attached them here.

2) When I can launch the app after a crash I get logged out. I'll see my credentials autofilled, but the password isn't correct. I went into Keychain and removed the entry, but when I restarted the app autofilled credentials are still there, albeit with a different password (I know this because the length of the dots is different). So I can't figure out where this second instance of my credentials is living, but it's not in the Keychain when searching for "ae" or "srcipt"

3) I checked the box to Launch at Login yesterday, but when I turned on my computer this morning the app didn't launch and the box was unchecked in the settings.

4) One script-related thing I noticed is that I have version 1.3 of Layers2Grid installed, but the app is showing that 1.2a is the latest. 

Ok, that's it for now. Keep up the great work and I'm really glad that this app finally exists!

Edit: Naturally, right after I finished writing this I went to open the app and got a crash. I'm guessing this report isn't all that different from the other 29, but I'm still including it.

zip
    zip
    David Arbor aescripts desktop app crash logs.zip
  • hello, is there a tutorial on how to install SkyBox Studio?
  • hello, is there a tutorial on how to install SkyBox Studio?
    simply double-click on the installer. If you are having a specific issue please open a support ticket: https://aescripts.com/contact/
  • Love the updater app.  I've collected quite a lot of scripts that are outmoded or I don't use.  It would be nice if there were a way to archive or delete unused scripts.

Thanks!

Raoul
  • Love the updater app.  I've collected quite a lot of scripts that are outmoded or I don't use.  It would be nice if there were a way to archive or delete unused scripts.

Thanks!

Raoul
    That is a good suggestion, we are working on a feature that will make it easier to filter your purchases.  Thanks for the feedback.
  • For all us PC users patiently waiting... any ideas when the Windows version will be made available?
  • Hi there everyone, 

I am experiencing problems to log in on the installer. It seems to get stuck on the logging process, so it doesn't show anymore which scripts I"ve installed.

Anyone else experiencing the same issue?

Thanks!

Miguel

• For the "quick menu" thing: where does quick menu look for scripts if they're not in the Scripts folder?
    Hi Kevin, 

I've never realised you did reply, sorry. In case you haven't find by now, in the case of the 'quick menu' you can install the scripts in any folder you choose. It is quite handy as you can organise them with a folder structure of your choice and 'quick menu' still finds them all as it has recursive folder search.

Perhaps if given the option, the installer could do a similar thing and create a folder structure based on a preset or custom decisions. Marker scripts on a 'marker' folder, keyframe scripts in a 'keyframe' folder. 

While this solution wouldn't work for everyone, would be indeed very handy for those of us that use script launchers such as toolbar, quick menu and script launcher.

Thanks!

Miguel
  • When I open this it opens a window and has login option, but when pressed nothing happens and doesn't login. I can select all products, but nothing shown. Any ideas? new to mac have just downloaded and tried to run. El Capitan...

Never mind forced logout (even though it wasn't logged in) and then relogged back in....
  • Hi everyone,

I am trying to make a clean install of the software, but each time I reinstall it, it has my login details already.

I believe I may have the preferences file corrupted but so far I haven't been able to delete them, not even with appcleaner. 

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Miguel
  • Hi Miguel,
    in the menu there's a Troubleshooting item, below preferences. In there you'll see a dropdown with debug actions and own of them should allow you to reset the preferences. Let me know if it works.
  • Hi Kevin,

thanks for the tip. From the Troubleshooting menu, I've tried to reset the preferences, empty the installer cache and fix authorisation issues but nothing has worked so far.

I have uninstalled sophos home, in case it was blocking it but nothing changed either.

The behaviour of the software is a bit odd:
    • in one hand, if I try to login with a wrong password it does recognise that is not correct, so it must be connecting to the server, but once the password is on, it gets stuck on the logging in status, like if something was blocking some of its ports or something like that.
    • On the applications tab, all the software icons appear with an question mark sign, similar to what you get with a broken link, I guess.
    • Finally, on the menu bar icon, there is the chance to log out from there. But regardless of the app status (with login details or not) it always shows the log out option.
    I also have tried to uninstall it again using appcleaner after removing cache and preferences but nothing changes.

Thanks!

Miguel
  • This is not installing scripts in after effects in 2015.3   I just updated to the latest version yesterday and found all my scripts were not installed so I have tried to use the AE scripts installer for Mac but I have no idea where it is installing them.  Its not in the new scripts folder.
  • On Windows it's just errors out with:

'Error from index (6503):
    Unable to get property 'CC 2015.3' of undefined or null reference.'

• Hi Jayse,
    this should be fixed now, please uninstall it and download the latest version. If it still bugs open a support ticket so that we can have a thread for the issue.
  • Sweet! I'll take a look!
  • that works! I love this tool so much!

• Maybe spoke too soon - it crashes out (not responding)

Then when I relaunch - re put in all my details - it gives this msg:

"Could not extract installer for product 3D Splitter, please check the chached zip file."
  • Then - with something like Bad TV - it says 

"No Compatible applications were found for Bad TV. Would you like to peform(sic) a custom installation?" 

I say "OK" and it finds my installs of CC2015.3 and I check them - then click okay - and it pops up the previous message again. 

Does that actually just mean 'not compatible with CC2015.3'?
  • When I click on '3D Splitter' and 'Reveal Installer Files' it gives the error:

'Error from index (675): 
    Cannot start process because a file name has not been provided.'

What the heck? LoL

• Looks like it won't install anything for 2015.3 by default or by custom? Would be nice if it could be forced because some work fine. 

It's rough - but this is the tool I've been waiting for! Super cool. 
  • Once I updated to the new version of AE and deleted the old folders this plugin says "no compatible host applications for product, would you like to perform custom installation"    I click ok but there are no options to search for location. Its just blank window.     Then other times the app just crashes.  Its a bit useless just yet but hopefully the problems will be ironed out soon as I hate searching to find what I need to update.
    If we are to use this we need a way to choose the application to install to. Currently there is not option. Just blank windows!

I deleted the app and reinstalled and now it just sits there and the log in button does nothing??  Oh now it doesnt open at all. Um yeah def needs some work.