QuickImporter
  • EDITING: All working fine. I forgot it was an Extension and found the location and UI. Suggest adding a sentence in the install to note it's under Extensions in AE or PPro.

thank you

Once installed how do i find it. I installed manually as the .zxp installer did not work.

where is the UI?

• Thank you for the feedback, David. I will update the descriptions as you suggested.

• trying to install the latest for the new AE and Premiere. I've never been able to get the .zxp installer to work. trying the last resort way and neither CC2015 nor the latest 2013.3 seems to take the install.

thoughts?

• Hi David,
    what error message does the installer give you? Also, did you ensure to use the aescripts ZXP installer and not any other ZXP installer?
    https://aescripts.com/learn/zxp-installer/

When the normal install fails, the most recent version of the installer suggests that it does a "custom install". It asks you whether it should do it for all users or just the current user. Did you try this custom install and did you also try to do it only for the current user? If the install fails due to some permission issues it could well be that it installs fine for one user although it fails when you try to install for all users.

Sorry for the inconvenience. The install process for ZXP extensions is controlled by Adobe and with our custom install mechanism we try our best to work around the few bugs that their installation method has. The more detailed feedback we get from you, the better we can improve the installation experience.

Cheers,
    Mathias
  • PS:
    I forgot to mention the obvious: I released new versions of QuickImporter, Still Exporter and BeatEdit a few days ago. Those updates add compatibility to the 2015.3 release. So make sure to install the most recent version from the "My Downloads & Licenses" section in your aescripts customer account.
  • Hi Mathias

I tried several times using the aescripts zxp installer. Nothing worked.

I've tried the custom install several times as well. Both CC2015 and the New Updated CC2015.3 (ae and premiere) not working. Keep getting the update available dialogue even though i've downloaded and tried this approach (custom install).

Maybe I should uninstall this and try to reinstall fresh?
  • Hi David,
    thank you for reporting this! On the server I have accidentally set the version number to 1.01 instead of 1.0.1. Therefore, BeatEdit 1.0.1 still reported that there is a new version, although you already have the most recent one installed. I corrected this on the server and you should not get the update info anymore.

Cheers,
    Mathias
  • Will there be any support for .aiff audio files? I have a huge sound library but they all give me a "decoding failed" message when I try to preview. Otherwise this is fantastic and I hope I can integrate it into my workflow. 
  • @Jay: Currently we have no plans to add aiff support. The library we are using for parsing audio files does only support wav, mp3 and ogg, hence adding support for aiff will be a lot of extra effort.
    If enough people are interested in aiff support, we might add it in the future, but for now you have to convert the file to wav or mp3 to use it with BeatEdit.

Cheers,
    Mathias
  • This looks like an amazing tool. Will soon try it. But is there any way to get this into Adobe Audition? I use a lot of sound effects and the media browser is really not good - no search capabilities. 
    If not, any suggestions
  • Hi David,
    so far it only works in After Effects and Premiere. I am not aware of a similar importer for Audition, unfortunately.

Cheers,
    Mathias
  • Hi Mathias-

Just curious how this works with image sequences, as there is no example in the video.  I have LOTS of folders
    of image sequences that I need to import on a monthly basis.  Will Quick importer do batch imports?

Thanks!

Matt
  • Hi Matt,
    QuickImporter shows image sequences as a single search result (not each image separately) but you can only import one image sequence at the time, not many of them. If you are not sure whether it does what you need, please experiment with the trial version.
    For batch import Immigration by Lloyd Alvarez could also be an alternative (but only for After Effects) https://aescripts.com/immigration/

Hi Mathias-

Just curious how this works with image sequences, as there is no example in the video.  I have LOTS of folders
    of image sequences that I need to import on a monthly basis.  Will Quick importer do batch imports?

Thanks!

Matt

• Hi there,

I use a number of your tools and they are great! Any way to get this working for CS6? also Could Comp's be included if so as a file type import? I am producing a Library of individual animations that have been produced for other projects, splitting them out and needing a tool I can use to quickly search them in a folder, then import the Comp needed as a time saving tool.

Thanks,

Chris

• Hi Chris,
    we always try to be as backwards-compatible as possible, but supporting CS6 is not possible in this case, unfortunately. QuickImporter is implemented as a CEP Panel extension, since normal scripts don't allow to create such complex, interactive user interfaces as needed for QuickImporter - and CS6 does not support CEP panels, unfortunately.

QuickImporter is ideal for browsing sound effects libraries or stock footage, adding support for comps would add a lot of complexity, since you need some mechanism to select a comp inside an Ae project.
    I am not 100% sure, but I think our competitor AEViewer supports importing ae project files and could be the better choice in your scenario:

Hi there,

I use a number of your tools and they are great! Any way to get this working for CS6? also Could Comp's be included if so as a file type import? I am producing a Library of individual animations that have been produced for other projects, splitting them out and needing a tool I can use to quickly search them in a folder, then import the Comp needed as a time saving tool.

Thanks,

Chris

• Hi there,

just wanted to let you know that I would definetly buy your plug-in if only there was the possibility to see a waveform for audio files, set in and out points and drag and drop directly into the timeline. 

I hope you'll implement these features. I'll be waiting!

Thank you.
  • Hi Lorenzo,

thank you for the feedback! I will put these ideas on my list of feature requests.

Cheers,
    Mathias
  • Is there a way to make thumbnaiil previews work on Windows?
    Thumbnails for images work, but not for videos. 

Also, videos do not play in quickimporter. Whenevrr I click a video to preview, it opens up on a separate program on my video player. 
    Theres also a very annoying thing where, whenever I move my mouse away from the thumbnail for music files, the audio stops playing. 

• Hi Liam,

thank you for your detailed feedback!

No, thumbnails only work on Mac, since they are based on Mac OS Quicklook feature and I could not find something comparable for Windows, unfortunately.

Yes, QuickImporter cannot play videos in its own UI, but can only open a separate player for that purpose. There is a little hack  that allows you to use other players, like VLC, instead of the default player. If this is helpful for you, please open a support ticket and I can explain you how to set this up.

By design, the audio starts playing when hovering over the thumbnail and stops when leaving the thumbnail. We did a lot of experiments and this really made most sense. If we keep the audio playing, there is no convenient way to stop the audio. If you are browsing sound effects, for example, this would very annoying, since they are very short and after you heard them a few times, you usually want to stop playback again as easily as you started it.

Is there a way to make thumbnaiil previews work on Windows?
    Thumbnails for images work, but not for videos. 

Also, videos do not play in quickimporter. Whenevrr I click a video to preview, it opens up on a separate program on my video player. 
    Theres also a very annoying thing where, whenever I move my mouse away from the thumbnail for music files, the audio stops playing. 

• Hi,
    I really like the fuzzy search function, but sometimes it would be great if I could turn it off and use a standard wildcard search. Is that possible?

• Hi Andreas,
    thank you for your feedback! That's not possible right now but a great feature request. I will put it on my list of requests.

Hi,
    I really like the fuzzy search function, but sometimes it would be great if I could turn it off and use a standard wildcard search. Is that possible?

• perfect, sounds good!

Hi Andreas,
    thank you for your feedback! That's not possible right now but a great feature request. I will put it on my list of requests.

Hi,

• I just tested this for a couple moments. Here are few ideas:
    -A button to open the folder where the file is located (this would be imporant IMO).
    -Ability to search for AEP files as well.
    -I would make the view with favoerites etc. bit more comprehensive. 

Thanks! Have to see if I'll purchase this.
  • Thank you for the feedback, Miika! I've put it on my list of feature requests.

I just tested this for a couple moments. Here are few ideas:
    -A button to open the folder where the file is located (this would be imporant IMO).

• Thank you for the feedback, Miika! I've put it on my list of feature requests.

I just tested this for a couple moments. Here are few ideas:

Awesome! Btw. one thing that just came to my mind was that it would be also great if before entering anything in to the search field user would see the folder structure itself. So basically QuickImport would work like regular "File Explorer" and you could navigate by clicking/opening folders etc and only if you would type something to the search, it would override this. Basically this way you could do everything you need within QuickImport, without need to open FileExplorer on your OS. 
  • That's a very interesting suggestion, too!

Awesome! Btw. one thing that just came to my mind was that it would be also great if before entering anything in to the search field user would see the folder structure itself. So basically QuickImport would work like regular "File Explorer" and you could navigate by clicking/opening folders etc and only if you would type something to the search, it would override this. Basically this way you could do everything you need within QuickImport, without need to open FileExplorer on your OS. 

• Seems like a smart plug, but is there a way to replace imported files? Like holding a short cut or something so you overwrite existing files in a project that you want to change?
  • Hi Jorgen,

currently QuckImporter does not have such a feature, yet. But that's an interesting feature request.

Seems like a smart plug, but is there a way to replace imported files? Like holding a short cut or something so you overwrite existing files in a project that you want to change?