• Hello, i'd like to buy it, but can we donwload any map anywhere ? anyplace frome france, italia etc, because i tryed once in the past, but it was very hard to dowland json files from little cities. Thank you
  • Hello, i'd like to buy it, but can we donwload any map anywhere ? anyplace frome france, italia etc, because i tryed once in the past, but it was very hard to dowland json files from little cities. Thank you

Hi,

apart from the mapcomp's imagery which is available worldwide for the default profiles you can automatically download all features for your current view in Version 2. So no need to search the web anymore. This tutorial shows the feature download:

https://vimeo.com/191556295

Check out the trial and see if it suits your needs.

Best

Markus

• Hello, i have Problems. When i create a 3d Landscape and i want to change the position. Lets say the Zugspitze, it doesn´t like in you video jump to the new psoition, it blacks out. Black screen and i see nothing. What could that be? Thanks for your help!

• Hello, i have Problems. When i create a 3d Landscape and i want to change the position. Lets say the Zugspitze, it doesn´t like in you video jump to the new psoition, it blacks out. Black screen and i see nothing. What could that be? Thanks for your help!

please open a support ticket for help with this issue
  • How do you get google maps to work?  The URI mask in Geolayers 1 doesnt seem to work in Geolayers 2

mt0.google.com/vt/lyrs={{serverTileStyle}}@169000000&;hl={{tileStyleCulture}}&x={{pX}}&y={{pY}}&z={{ZoomLevel}}

Hey Philip,
    I think jumping to the feature you're zoomed in very far. Since those mountains are pretty high the Mir Layer is displaced a lot and is actually behind your camera. Zoom out to see it again. TRICK: when you jump to a feature holding CTRL/CMD you won't change the zoom.
    Best
    Markus
  • How do you get google maps to work?  The URI mask in Geolayers 1 doesnt seem to work in Geolayers 2

mt0.google.com/vt/lyrs={{serverTileStyle}}@169000000&;hl={{tileStyleCulture}}&x={{pX}}&y={{pY}}&z={{ZoomLevel}}
    Hi Matthew,

find the serverprofile attached and import it in the prefs.

Best
    Markus
    zip
    zip
    Googlemaps.zip
    887B
  • Markus - I just sent you a support ticket regarding the extension not appearing in my Extensions menu... I also tried installing via the Adobe Extension Manager CC, and got the error message, "Failed to install the extension 'com.markusgerbelt.geolayers2'. Please make sure the manifest.xml of this extension is valid and the Extension Manager recognizes at least one product which the extension supports."
  • Markus - I just sent you a support ticket regarding the extension not appearing in my Extensions menu... I also tried installing via the Adobe Extension Manager CC, and got the error message, "Failed to install the extension 'com.markusgerbelt.geolayers2'. Please make sure the manifest.xml of this extension is valid and the Extension Manager recognizes at least one product which the extension supports."

Hi Kevin,

Extension Manager is incompatible with AE and no longer updated. So allways use the aescripts ZXP Installer. I'll get in touch via the Ticket you created.

Best

Markus

• Hi, I'm looking to purchase this, and am trying out the trial, but can't seem to change the location of a 3d map. I'd like to change the default location from when I generate a 3d map, but when I type in a location and generate a 3d map, it defaults to the same map. How can I fix this?

Also, is it possible to make the area of the 3d map larger? x and y values

Thanks!
  • I have a quick question regarding Trapcode integration.

Does the 3D aspect work in a cityscape - like a downtown core or residential area. Basically, can it make the buildings 3D like the mountains?

Thanks
  • Hey Zach, we'll write you back in the support ticket you opened.

I have a quick question regarding Trapcode integration.

Does the 3D aspect work in a cityscape - like a downtown core or residential area. Basically, can it make the buildings 3D like the mountains?

Thanks
    Hey Mark,

No, the heightmaps used are 32x more detailed like v1. But thats not enough for street level and buildings.

Best
    Markus
  • Hi Markus,
    I have a project where I am making nine separate map zooms.
    Each zoom starts on the same wide map, before zooming in to a different location.

Do you have any suggestions for how to 'version' the same map in one project, without creating nine separate AE files?

Thanks!
  • Hi Markus,
    I have a project where I am making nine separate map zooms.
    Each zoom starts on the same wide map, before zooming in to a different location.

Do you have any suggestions for how to 'version' the same map in one project, without creating nine separate AE files?

Thanks!
    Hey David,

you would simply create 9 Mapcomps and copy paste the Starting Latitude, Longitude and Zoom Keyframes. But features and labels would neet to be added to each one.

Best
    Markus
  • Just upgraded to v2 and very happy with the plug-in. When working with 3D landscapes, is there any workaround for the sea levels in the Heightmaps generated using the Mapzen Height server? Any time I choose a coastal town (Brighton, UK, or Porto, Portugal, for example), there is a towering tsunami of water hovering above the city, which is a little unnerving. 

A related question: The default amplitude for Mir layers seems to be 700, which is way too high for my needs. Is there a way to change the default value?

• Just upgraded to v2 and very happy with the plug-in. When working with 3D landscapes, is there any workaround for the sea levels in the Heightmaps generated using the Mapzen Height server? Any time I choose a coastal town (Brighton, UK, or Porto, Portugal, for example), there is a towering tsunami of water hovering above the city, which is a little unnerving. 

A related question: The default amplitude for Mir layers seems to be 700, which is way too high for my needs. Is there a way to change the default value?

Hi Matthew,

Nice to hear you like it first of all! You can have a look in the heightmap and crop the black to sealevel, Or you download the water draw them to the heightmap and pick the Color of the coast. Then it will also be flattened.  I'll have a look if I can set up the wizard that it's generally working better for the majority of places on earth.

The Default Amplitude might be not what you think. this is the range between lowest and highest Point... which is depending on the zoom. so if your heightmap is black there will be no Amplitude in the Mir layer. Defaults can't be saved for the quicksetup. But you can create yourself a AE template Project with your custom Settings that you can use for your 3D Landscape Projects.

Best

Markus

• I just baught the plugin, but I am having trouble installing it with zxp installer. Has anyone else experienced this?
  • I just baught the plugin, but I am having trouble installing it with zxp installer. Has anyone else experienced this?
    Please open a support ticket and include your system details so we can help.
  • Hi Markus, how do we get the mask outline shape of each country to be extruded in e3d for example, like in the 19th second of the Geolayers promo video? I could only draw shapes of the inner part of the country but not the outer part, as from the tutorial i have to add a Land mask to luma matte on it. Is there a more straightforward way? Thank you
  • Hi Markus, how do we get the mask outline shape of each country to be extruded in e3d for example, like in the 19th second of the Geolayers promo video? I could only draw shapes of the inner part of the country but not the outer part, as from the tutorial i have to add a Land mask to luma matte on it. Is there a more straightforward way? Thank you
    Hey Cheryl,

GEOlayers 2 only draws shapes no masks. The extrusion is done with the new C4D renderer in CC2017. Just set the containing comps renderer to CINEMA4D make your mapcomp a 3D layer, draw any feature and you can extrude it using the layers geometry options. You can use the countries from the default countries.geojson those are clipped to land.

Best
    Markus
  • Not sure if there is limitation on how close 2 points are and the ability to draw connecting lines between them. The Feature Mesh will create connecting line feature but drawing the feature does not seem to work on those feature less than 50 or 40 miles apart
  • Not sure if there is limitation on how close 2 points are and the ability to draw connecting lines between them. The Feature Mesh will create connecting line feature but drawing the feature does not seem to work on those feature less than 50 or 40 miles apart

Hi Ghassan,

depends on the current view when you draw it. GEOlayers would not draw too small Features for the current view. But you can set it up to not Change the shape Detail:

best

markus

• Hallo Markus

I have bought GeoLayers 1 and have used it alot and I am very happy with it. I am thinking about upgrading and would like to know is GEOlayers 2 compatible with Trapcode Mir 1 ?  would I have to update my Trapcode Mir to be able to create 3D Terrains with Geolayers 2?

Many thanks
    nick
  • Hallo Markus

I have bought GeoLayers 1 and have used it alot and I am very happy with it. I am thinking about upgrading and would like to know is GEOlayers 2 compatible with Trapcode Mir 1 ?  would I have to update my Trapcode Mir to be able to create 3D Terrains with Geolayers 2?

Many thanks
    nick

Hi Nick,

Nice to hear your happy with it. Version 2 makes a lot of things easier and faster. You can still create 3D Terrains with Trapcode Mir 1 like you're used to it. So creating a template Project manually will work. But GEOlayers 2 has a one click solution that only works with Trapcode Mir 2.

Best

Markus

• Hi Markus.
    A pair of questions:
    -Is it posible to animate created shapes (like rivers)?
    -When I was searching some places the search toolbar doesn´t search some places, where can I download geojson reosurces?

Best regards
  • Hi Markus.
    A pair of questions:
    -Is it posible to animate created shapes (like rivers)?
    -When I was searching some places the search toolbar doesn´t search some places, where can I download geojson reosurces?

Best regards

Hi Iban,

yes or course! GEOlayers draws the Features to AE Shape Layers so you have all the possibilities AE offers.

GEOlayers 2 can download all Features for your current view automatically. Have a look here:

A good place to download datasets is mapzen.com!

Best

Markus 

• Awesome ! The 3D tool is just perfect and save a lot of time :-)
    and the download of features is very useful
  • Markus,
    I'm really liking the potential I see in Geolayers 2, and am very happy I bought it (I liked 1.0 too, but this is now very good!).
    I'm not very experienced in locating and determining which Geospatial files I should use for Geolayers.
    Could you point me to the best sources online when you have a moment?
    Thanks again.
  • Markus,
    I'm really liking the potential I see in Geolayers 2, and am very happy I bought it (I liked 1.0 too, but this is now very good!).
    I'm not very experienced in locating and determining which Geospatial files I should use for Geolayers.
    Could you point me to the best sources online when you have a moment?
    Thanks again.
    Hi John,

Nice to hear you like the new version! One cool thing about V2 is that you don't need to search the web for geospatial files anymore. All Features for your current view can be downloaded with one click! Have a look here:

Apart from this GEOlayers 2 supports .shp, .kml, .gpx and .geojson files. A good place to download datasets is www.mapzen.com!

Best

Markus 

• Hi Markus
    I have a problem. After I finalizea 3D landscape the texture dissapear, I can only see black.
    What could it be?

Regards

• Hi Markus
    I have a problem. After I finalizea 3D landscape the texture dissapear, I can only see black.
    What could it be?

Regards

Hello Iban, could you please open a support ticket and send us your project-file ore the coordinator for your location. Did you create an animation? Cheers Nico
  • Great plugin. Tons of fun. I watched how to add Google Maps on the old GeoLayers version. Is that still possible with GEO Layers 2? If so could you kindly provide me directions. Thanks.
  • Great plugin. Tons of fun. I watched how to add Google Maps on the old GeoLayers version. Is that still possible with GEO Layers 2? If so could you kindly provide me directions. Thanks.
    Please open a support ticket for help with this. 
  • Hi Mark, beautiful plugin!

I'm looking for a night view map with city lights : ) is there anything like this or close to this anywhere? 

Many thanks in advance. 

Takis

• How do I fix the issue in the attached link?

Basically I am getting a perfect square in my zoom of different clarity/resolution.

I am sure the solution is probably simple - thanks a lot.
  • How do I fix the issue in the attached link?

Basically I am getting a perfect square in my zoom of different clarity/resolution.

I am sure the solution is probably simple - thanks a lot.
    Hello Mark,
    I think you have to finalize the bingmaps-comp by clicking the blue finalize button in GEOlayers 2 for that composition.
    After you clicked that, GEOlayers starts to download all tiles and you'll get a zoom with the same resolution/clarity as the square.
    Let me know if that helps.
    Cheers
    Nico

• Hello,

The integration wit MIR2 for 3D volume is good but there are no real shadows, no depth of field (with some tricks depth of field can be done). How about the integration with Freeform Pro?  
    Thank you.
  • Hello,

The integration wit MIR2 for 3D volume is good but there are no real shadows, no depth of field (with some tricks depth of field can be done). How about the integration with Freeform Pro?  
    Thank you.

Hi Tulcan,

Seems like you're reading minds ;) We're working on an Freeform Pro integration but it wont be available this year. You can build yourself a template project with Freeform Pro though.

Best

Markus

• After Finalizing my bing aerial map - the quality is inconsistent and I do not know how to fix it. This quality mismatch is an issue, and causing clear color/quality mismatches on the map..

Below is a link to an image - how do I fix this?

Thanks for your help.
  • Is there any way to get the zoom slider in GEo Layers 2 like the previous version for smaller increments of zoom?
  • After Finalizing my bing aerial map - the quality is inconsistent and I do not know how to fix it. This quality mismatch is an issue, and causing clear color/quality mismatches on the map..

Below is a link to an image - how do I fix this?

Thanks for your help.
    Hello Mark,
    we have no influence on the map quality. You can try other imagery providers like Mapbox satellite or google maps, but there is no guaranty for good color and resolution quality on every place on earth. 
    best
    nico

• Is there any way to get the zoom slider in GEo Layers 2 like the previous version for smaller increments of zoom?
    Yes, you can hold CMD/Ctrl while clicking plus and minus. 
    The zoom increments in smaller steps.
    best
    nico
  • There's no licensing involved in the purchase of this plugin correct?   I mean If I buy this it does not necessarily mean I can use the satellite generated maps for commercial projects right?  

• There's no licensing involved in the purchase of this plugin correct?   I mean If I buy this it does not necessarily mean I can use the satellite generated maps for commercial projects right?  

Hi Paul!

No there is no licensing involved. How you're allowed to use it depends on the mapprovider. If you want to use Mapbox for broadcast for example you'll need their premium plan: https://www.mapbox.com/help/broadcast-policy/
    You can find links to the mapproviders TOUs in the prefs Server Profiles section.

Note that you'll need to attribute the maps while you show them, not in the credits. GEOlayers automatically creates a text layer therefore.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Best
    Markus
  • Hi! I have a very inconvenient problem. In the old Geolayers, once u downloaded a map, finalized it, u'd have some leeway in micro movements. Scrolling the map a bit would not touch the finalized state. Now.. every time i do a little adjustment, the whole finalized map disappears, and its back at a rough preview state. I have to finalize at every little nudge i make. Its unusable for me this way. Any idea why this is happening?
  • Hi! I have a very inconvenient problem. In the old Geolayers, once u downloaded a map, finalized it, u'd have some leeway in micro movements. Scrolling the map a bit would not touch the finalized state. Now.. every time i do a little adjustment, the whole finalized map disappears, and its back at a rough preview state. I have to finalize at every little nudge i make. Its unusable for me this way. Any idea why this is happening?

Hi Christian,

Yes, this is correct. Thats the only way we can ensure that zoomlevel blending and the Provider Attribution is correct at any time. This might help: You can change the values on the keyframes manually (which is tedious because allready small changes in the numbers can make a huge difference in the view.) You could also use a very low global finalization Quality until you're finally done with the animation or finalize just the current Frame by Holding CTRL/CMD while clicking Finalize. 

Hope that helps

Best

Markus

• Hi Markus

I'm considering purchasing GeoLayers for a educational certain project I am working on. I need to visualize geolocation data for around 300,000 point over space and time, that also have a scale value to them (specifically conflict incident data with long-lat, date and casualties location). The data exists as csv.
    Can I use GeoLayers to import and manipulate this data to after effects?

Thank you
  • Hi Markus, 

I'm looking for a tutorial on how to implement 3D Buildings with the CINEMA 4D renderer in AE.
    I wasn't able to find anything in your video tutorials about this. Can someone provide assistance on a step by step guidance please? 

Many thanks in advance.
  • Tom BG said:
    Hi Markus

I'm considering purchasing GeoLayers for a educational certain project I am working on. I need to visualize geolocation data for around 300,000 point over space and time, that also have a scale value to them (specifically conflict incident data with long-lat, date and casualties location). The data exists as csv.
    Can I use GeoLayers to import and manipulate this data to after effects?

Thank you

Hello Tom,

This is a very interesting task and we would like to be able to do this with GEOlayers 2. But your dataset is quite large and we fear that After Effects will not handle such a number of data.
    Maybe you could open a support ticket and send us the data and explain for a example what you want to show. I'll have a look an think about how and if we can help.

cheers
    nico

• Hello trying a trial version w ar cc 2015.3 
    all i get is a logo and a black screen?
    Advice?
    Mike D.