• Great script! One improvement I would like to see is the ability to slow down the speed past 0.1. Even at that speed it's too fast for my needs. Please allow for smaller values.
    It would also be nice to adjust the posterize time value. 
    Thanks!
  • Great script! One improvement I would like to see is the ability to slow down the speed past 0.1. Even at that speed it's too fast for my needs. Please allow for smaller values.
    It would also be nice to adjust the posterize time value. 
    Thanks!
    Hi Jeff,

That's a good point thank you! I modified the minimum of the speed setting from 0.1 to 0.01 but I will only publish the update in a few days. I want to avoid too much updates in a short time.

If you need it for a current project you can download these new .ffx files. You simply have to delete the old "Randomatic" folder and replace it by the one in this zip file:

About the "posterize time" value you can normally control it with the same "speed" slider... Tell me if you still have an issue.
  • CC2015. Doesn't work with any properties, exept color ((
  • CC2015. Doesn't work with any properties, exept color ((
    Really sorry to hear that, I correct this today!
  • I just released the version 1.02. I tested with CS6, CC2015 and CC2017.
    Please let me know if you still have any issues!
  • I just released the version 1.02. I tested with CS6, CC2015 and CC2017.
    Please let me know if you still have any issues!

Hello. I tested the new version today with AE CC2014 and CC2015. It works fine. Thank You!

• Hi,

Thanks for this script. 

I followed your tutorial, but it doesn't seem to work for me? 

So when I add any of the effects to my objects, nothing happens other than the controller layer is added - however there's no effect controls inside this layer. The values are not red either, suggesting that the expression didn't add? 

Hope you can help. 

imageimage

Thanks! 
  • Hi,

Thanks for this script. 

I followed your tutorial, but it doesn't seem to work for me? 

So when I add any of the effects to my objects, nothing happens other than the controller layer is added - however there's no effect controls inside this layer. The values are not red either, suggesting that the expression didn't add? 

Hope you can help. 

imageimage

Thanks! 
    Hi Nanna,

Have you dragged the "Randomatic" folder into the "ScriptUI Panels" folder?

Can you also tell me which version of After Effects you are using?
  • Can you remove the Randomatic with the script? Some of the scripts lack the feature of "remove" the expressions etc. Btw. someone should create a simple script that removes all the expressions from all the values within chose layers. Have had situations where some script created expressions for 100 layers :D and something went wrong and I ended up manually cleaning the layers. 
  • Can you remove the Randomatic with the script? Some of the scripts lack the feature of "remove" the expressions etc. Btw. someone should create a simple script that removes all the expressions from all the values within chose layers. Have had situations where some script created expressions for 100 layers :D and something went wrong and I ended up manually cleaning the layers. 
    Unfortunately the script is not able to remove the effects for now. This is one of the new features I'm working on for a future release.
    The best way to do it now is to reselect all your properties and make an alt+click (or option+click on mac) on one of the stopwatches to delete all the expressions. Then you can safely delete the associated effect on your "Randomatic controllers" layer.
  • Hello, I have Nanna's problem below, the script does nothing but creating a new control layer with nothing on it, the script is in the Script UI folder, and am using the latest AE update 2017.1 on Windows 10 64bit.
  • Hello, I have Nanna's problem below, the script does nothing but creating a new control layer with nothing on it, the script is in the Script UI folder, and am using the latest AE update 2017.1 on Windows 10 64bit.
    Hi Bilal,
    Is the Randomatic folder also in the ScriptUI Panels folder ?
    Does it contain the 15 .ffx files?

Hi Bilal,
    Is the Randomatic folder also in the ScriptUI Panels folder ?
    Does it contain the 15 .ffx files?

Hello Romin,
    No it wasn't, I put it there, and restarted AE, now, the Control layer has all the settings, BUT there is no expressions on the properties, meaning the controller layer is doing nothing when playing with its parameters, is there something else am missing?
  • Can you open a support ticket so I can help you more effectively?
  • Just bought Randomatic with a "check it out" price and pay more once I know it works :)

Here's few ideas that would make Randomatic better.
    -If you have lot to randomize within a scene, having all the controllers in one layer can become confusing. What if there would be checkbox for creating the control within the layer itself. Obviously this would work only if the randomized features are within a single layer. Other way to go would be to add the controls to the "highest" layer on the stack if there are multiple layers. I think I'll use this to randomize stuff within lens flares etc. In these cases it would be superb if the controls would be in the same layer as the effect.
    -Retain original values. It would be great if you could choose that the script would put original values as min/max. So you could move on from there. As I tried to randomize camera movement I noticed that I had to tweak a lot to find the original position and move on from there on what I wanted to happen.

This seems to be a great script!
  • Just bought Randomatic with a "check it out" price and pay more once I know it works :)

-If you have lot to randomize within a scene, having all the controllers in one layer can become confusing. What if there would be checkbox for creating the control within the layer itself. Obviously this would work only if the randomized features are within a single layer. Other way to go would be to add the controls to the "highest" layer on the stack if there are multiple layers. I think I'll use this to randomize stuff within lens flares etc. In these cases it would be superb if the controls would be in the same layer as the effect.
    -Retain original values. It would be great if you could choose that the script would put original values as min/max. So you could move on from there. As I tried to randomize camera movement I noticed that I had to tweak a lot to find the original position and move on from there on what I wanted to happen.

Hi Miika, thank you for your purchase!

I will think about the option for creating the controller directly on the layer.

For the "retain original values" option I think you missed the "absolute" checkbox. If you uncheck it, your random values will be based on your original values. You can watch the tutorial at 2:00 for more information about this option: https://vimeo.com/195823931

Hi Miika, thank you for your purchase!

I will think about the option for creating the controller directly on the layer.

For the "retain original values" option I think you missed the "absolute" checkbox. If you uncheck it, your random values will be based on your original values. You can watch the tutorial at 2:00 for more information about this option: https://vimeo.com/195823931
    The absolute checkbox was the thing I was looking for! It would be super cool if there would be an option to create the controls within the layer. Because already I'm noticing how thing start to become confusing once you have multiple Randomatics within the controller layer. Being able to create controller within the layer itself would keep things organized. If user would choose "create controller within the layer" (or what ever it would be called) and choose multiple layers I guess it could create the controller to the layer user chose first. 

Anycase Randomatic seems to be very useful. I like to create handheld type of effects with it into my camera's etc. In those cases I would likelikelike to have the controller within the camera =)

ps. If I choose 3 values that all have same rotation controls. For an example X Rotation, Y Rotation, Z Rotation and click Wiggle from Randomatic it gives me "Please select identical values". I dont get why. Obviously the names arent identical but the value it inputs/outputs is. Is there any technical reason why Randomatic cant wiggle values that regardless of the value name.
  • The absolute checkbox was the thing I was looking for! It would be super cool if there would be an option to create the controls within the layer. Because already I'm noticing how thing start to become confusing once you have multiple Randomatics within the controller layer. Being able to create controller within the layer itself would keep things organized. If user would choose "create controller within the layer" (or what ever it would be called) and choose multiple layers I guess it could create the controller to the layer user chose first. 

Anycase Randomatic seems to be very useful. I like to create handheld type of effects with it into my camera's etc. In those cases I would likelikelike to have the controller within the camera =)

ps. If I choose 3 values that all have same rotation controls. For an example X Rotation, Y Rotation, Z Rotation and click Wiggle from Randomatic it gives me "Please select identical values". I dont get why. Obviously the names arent identical but the value it inputs/outputs is. Is there any technical reason why Randomatic cant wiggle values that regardless of the value name.
    Hi Miika,

I'm happy that the absolute checkbox fits to your needs.

I will definitely add an option for creating the controller directly on the layer on a future release. However there is a workaround you can use right now: you can simply rename your layer (your camera for example) "Randomatic Controllers" (the name is case sensitive) and this will fool the script. You can rename your layer with a normal name after you apply Randomatic.

For your rotations problem, as you guessed, it's based on the name of the selected properties. Once again there is a workaround: you can apply Randomatic to only one property (for example X Rotation) and then copy the expression of this property and paste it on the two other properties. It will works just fine! Obviously if you try this with properties with a different numbers of dimensions (opacity and position for example) you will get an error.
    I will try to find a better way to integrate this option in a future release.

Thank you for using Randomatic!
  • Man, just discovered this script and it rocks!
    Saved me a lot of time on my current projects and will surely save me more in the future. Thanks!
  • Man, just discovered this script and it rocks!
    Saved me a lot of time on my current projects and will surely save me more in the future. Thanks!
    Hi Michiel,
    Thanks a lot for your comment, I truly appreciate :)

• Way cool :)
    Just the timesaver I needed and an entertaining plaything as well.
    Thanks so much!!
  • Way cool :)
    Just the timesaver I needed and an entertaining plaything as well.
    Thanks so much!!
    Thanks Ralf!
    I'm glad you enjoy it :)
  • Hello,

I believe i remember using this plugin on 3d layers is that possible? Every time i select rotation on a 3d shape layer i get an error saying to select identical properties.

Thanks,
    Robert.
  • Hi Robert,

It's possible to apply Randomatic on 3D layers but you need to apply on identical properties. In your case I suppose that you want to apply on "X Rotation", "Y Rotation" and "Z Rotation" which are not the same properties.

To overpass this and fool the script you can apply Randomatic to only one property (for example X Rotation) and then copy the expression of this property and paste it on the two other properties. It will works just fine! Obviously if you try this with properties with a different numbers of dimensions (opacity and position for example) you will get an error.
  • Hello

I need to create a loop video. I use Randomatic to animate background color of shape.
    How i could have the same color at the start and the end of the timeline ?
  • aze eza said:
    Hello

I need to create a loop video. I use Randomatic to animate background color of shape.
    Hi,

I think the easiest way is to use the "strength" parameter of your Randomatic controller. Keyframe it from 0% to 100% at the beginning of your composition and then from 100% to 0% at the end.

• aze eza said:
    Hello

Hi,

I think the easiest way is to use the "strength" parameter of your Randomatic controller. Keyframe it from 0% to 100% at the beginning of your composition and then from 100% to 0% at the end.
    Thanks it works ! Another question. It is possible to have .jsx version of our plugin? I only work with loop and i would like add few features useful for me.
  • aze eza said:

aze eza said:
    Hello

Hi,

Thanks it works ! Another question. It is possible to have .jsx version of our plugin? I only work with loop and i would like add few features useful for me.
    I'm glad it works!
    No, unfortunately I don't provide the jsx file.
  • I can't get this to work at all. Is it an update issue?
  • I can't get this to work at all. Is it an update issue?
    Have you installed the Randomatic folder as specified in the txt file?
  • Hello,
    Is it possible to change comp colors?
    Thank you.
  • Hello,
    Thank you.
    Hi,
    Can you be more specific?
    If you're talking about comp labels, then no, it's not possible to change them with Randomatic.

• Hello,
    Thank you.
    Hi,
    Can you be more specific?
    If you're talking about comp labels, then no, it's not possible to change them with Randomatic.

I mean channge of composition layers. Is it possible to apply any attribute to composition (fill etc) and change it with Randomatic colors.
    And is it possible to change colors of imported images or vectors.
    By the way, you did a very good job in Randomatic. congratulations.
  • I mean channge of composition layers. Is it possible to apply any attribute to composition (fill etc) and change it with Randomatic colors.
    And is it possible to change colors of imported images or vectors.
    By the way, you did a very good job in Randomatic. congratulations.
    You can apply Randomatic on 99% of the properties in After Effects. Basically if you can keyframe a property you can probably apply Randomatic on it.

So yes, you can apply a fill effect on any type of layer and change the color with Randomatic or change the colors of a vector image.
  • It's not working for me. I select a property, Hit randomatic and it makes a controller layer. But no expression or effects appear. Am I missing something? Thanks!
  • It's not working for me. I select a property, Hit randomatic and it makes a controller layer. But no expression or effects appear. Am I missing something? Thanks!
    Hello Eric,
    You probably didn't install the ffx files in the Randomatic folder. Take a look at READ_ME.txt in the zip you downloaded.
  • I used the aescripts installer. my bad. Thanks for the quick replay.
  • I used the aescripts installer. my bad. Thanks for the quick replay.
    No problem, I'm glad it works! :)