Geometric Filter

• imageGeometric Filter

Geometric Filter turns an image into a geometric approximation. It does so by using our custom proximity matching algorithm, which gives it a bit of a human touch, as it can trace contours and similar regions. The results are somewhat similar to what you get by using the so-called "style transfer" machine learning algorithms, but with much finer control over the result. The plugin will be aimed at artistic audiences who wish to simulate hand-drawn styles and will likely see most use in music videos, visualizations and with VJs.

https://aescripts.com/geometric-filter/

• The trial version is only showing 25% of the most left side. I know the watermark is necessary, but with so little to see It's quite hard to judge what the effect does.
  • Could you please upload a screenshot? The watermark should be very unintrusive and this sounds like an issue we're currently investigating, where only a part of the image is rendered.
    Could you please upload a screenshot? The watermark should be very unintrusive and this sounds like an issue we're currently investigating, where only a part of the image is rendered.
    'very unintrusive' is not exactly the type of watermark we got here.

I believe he means this.

• We located the problem. It's not intrusive watermark attempt, but the lack of support of the other color depths than 8 bits per channel.

For now, please fix the problem with selecting 8 bits per channel in your project setting (menu File > Project Settings > Color > Depth: 8 bits per channel).

Sorry for the inconvenience. We will fix this problem as soon as possible and support the remaining color's depths.
  • is this plugin cpu dependent?
  • lel kek said:
    is this plugin cpu dependent?
    It is currently. It could be accelerated somewhat by using the GPU for rasterization, but the majority of the work is finding where the shapes should go, which is a task best fit for a CPU. There are plans for further optimization in the future, though.
  • I'm having trouble activating the plugin. I put in my license key and it crashes Premiere Pro and After Effects. The demo version works fine Though.
    OSX 10.13
    PP And AE are CC2019.
  • I'm having trouble activating the plugin. I put in my license key and it crashes Premiere Pro and After Effects. The demo version works fine Though.
    OSX 10.13
    PP And AE are CC2019.
    Sorry to hear that. Does activating other Aescripts plugins also crash the apps or is it just Geometric Filter?
    OSX 10.13
    PP And AE are CC2019.
    Sorry to hear that. Does activating other Aescripts plugins also crash the apps or is it just Geometric Filter?
    It's just Geometric Filter.
  • We're still investigating what might be causing the issue and we'll let you know when it's fixed.
  • We're still investigating what might be causing the issue and we'll let you know when it's fixed.
    Thanks, I appreciate it
  • Hi Calvin, could you please file a bug report using this form, so that guys from aescripts can take a look at this? https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1 
  • Is there a way to make the jittery-ness more subtle/slower? I don't want to cause seizures. LOL
  • Is there a way to make the jittery-ness more subtle/slower? 
    Sure, I'm suggesting you these to try out:
    1) try Starting Pos. Strategy: Grid or Stable Random
    2) lower Matching Accuracy and find a sweet spot with enough detail and less jitter
    3) Use higher Count of shapes, but with 50% or less Opacity
  • Hi, first of all, this was something I was looking for and I can make my work have very sketchy feeling and I absolutely love it. I'm currently having a problem with rendering. My project is 4K and using 32bpc. Whenever I render it, it loses filter at some point, and then I need to close AE project and open it again and render it again from where it loses. but still it loses filter at some point. I'm using MAC, I've tried my friends PC and it seems fine.  Is it more stable on PC? Would there be any solution for it?
  • Emily Kim said:
    I'm currently having a problem with rendering. My project is 4K and using 32bpc. Whenever I render it, it loses filter at some point, and then I need to close AE project and open it again and render it again from where it loses.
    Hello Emily Kim,
    We are glad to hear you find our filter helpful for your artistic expression.
    And let's try to solve your problem effectively. It would be best to prepare a small project causing the issue and sent it to us - don't hesitate to open a bug report ticket and send it over via attachment. That way, we should replicate the problem quickly, and then the fix is straightforward.
    I want to ask you few questions to confirm conditions when the problem occurs:
    1) Resolution you work with is precisely 3840 x 2160 ?
    2) Can you run the rendering in 8/16 bpc and confirm, it's happening only in 32 bpc cases?
    3) Is this problem occurring for all 4k projects in 32 bpc using GF, or only with a specific set of parameters? If in a particular set, it would help us write them down exactly or provide a screenshot from the UI.
    4) Exact version of AE and macOS is always helpful to mention.
    Thank you for the additional information.
    Thanks, I appreciate it
    i'm having this issue as well. any assistance available?
  • Hi dear devs,

I was wondering if you will be adding native Apple Silicone support?
    cheers

• Hi dear devs,

I was wondering if you will be adding native Apple Silicone support?
    cheers

Hi Viktor, thanks for asking. Geometric Filter update for Apple Silicon is already working fine on our dev machines and will be released the following month. I will ping you here when that happens.
    Best regards, Zden
  • Hi Zden,
    Okay! sounds great. i can't wait. i hope it get's released soon so i can use it on my main machine.
    cheers

• Hi Zden,
    Okay! sounds great. i can't wait. i hope it get's released soon so i can use it on my main machine.
    Hi Viktor, check out today's release of version 1.1.0, featuring multi-frame rendering and Apple Silicon support. All the best, Zden
  • Is there any possible way to reduce the size of the output file? 
    They are huge! Even when I set the output resolution to low and render at a third of the original quality. 
    Thx guys!
    They are huge! Even when I set the output resolution to low and render at a third of the original quality. 
    Thx guys!
    Hi Marcelo.
    Video codecs aren't optimized to store geometric shapes efficiently. Using the GF plugin, the image's complexity is higher than regular video footage, with a lot of gradients and noise to remove, and there isn't much to do. I think reducing the number of geometric shapes, larger line widths, and perhaps application of opacity or blur might help. But you need to experiment and see what works best. The export file size was never a concern to someone, and it's really out of our hands (as plugins devs) about which video codec you will use during export and how its compressing algorithm works. Generally speaking, the more you encode computer-generated graphics with sharp edges, the higher bitrate you need to maintain original visual quality.
    All the best, Zden
    Thx guys!
    Hi Marcelo.
    Video codecs aren't optimized to store geometric shapes efficiently. Using the GF plugin, the image's complexity is higher than regular video footage, with a lot of gradients and noise to remove, and there isn't much to do. I think reducing the number of geometric shapes, larger line widths, and perhaps application of opacity or blur might help. But you need to experiment and see what works best. The export file size was never a concern to someone, and it's really out of our hands (as plugins devs) about which video codec you will use during export and how its compressing algorithm works. Generally speaking, the more you encode computer-generated graphics with sharp edges, the higher bitrate you need to maintain original visual quality.
    All the best, Zden
    I respond you here since that was what you did, so everybody can see as well.
    Well if the "size was never a concern to someone" maybe I'm "nobody" or simply nobody ever bother to ask. I think it is the best option to ask when you don't know about something and have no other around (no Instagram, no Twitter and no tutorial videos). As I told you in the support ticket I am using Anubis, a great plugin btw and don't have this issue with any other "artistic" plugins, I have quite a few.
    Sorry if my question bothered you guys.You have great plugins but I will rather expend my money in tools I can learn how to use and the customer service don't get upset when you inquire about then. You can see props for their work in the comment section of any other plugin I have bought. I wanted to buy this one and Curve Tracer as well but this answer turned me down.
    Wish u the best.

• Marcelo, the problem is that visually busy outputs of the Geometric Filter might not work for that use case (of smaller videos) because it creates a jitter when applied to every frame - that will always be heavier to compress. But I forgot to suggest other options that might be effective while using Anubis and without a change of visual style. You can use Skip Frame(s) parameter if GF's output can run in lower FPS as the target video. Tweaking Starting Position Strategy with Stable Random and especially Grid will also create a less wiggly look that is easier to compress. Using Media Encoder, filesize is in control via bitrate/quality setting. Anubis is 3rd party app, and all I can do is guess. Good luck. Zden
  • Marcelo, the problem is that visually busy outputs of the Geometric Filter might not work for that use case (of smaller videos) because it creates a jitter when applied to every frame - that will always be heavier to compress. But I forgot to suggest other options that might be effective while using Anubis and without a change of visual style. You can use Skip Frame(s) parameter if GF's output can run in lower FPS as the target video. Tweaking Starting Position Strategy with Stable Random and especially Grid will also create a less wiggly look that is easier to compress. Using Media Encoder, filesize is in control via bitrate/quality setting. Anubis is 3rd party app, and all I can do is guess. Good luck. Zden
    I'm going to get this one and see how it works. Just hope if in the future I have a problem or a question about the plugin you will be there to help me out with it. As I said I'm not a pro, I'm just a learner and the potential of these plugins for me is huge, just might need some advice about it at some point. 
    I'm going to follow your advice and try to work it out. In my case the size matters because when you want to share your work in websites or social networks, there is always a limit to the files you share, in some cases ridiculously small and I know that is not up to you either.
    Thank you for taking your time with me and will let you know about it when I get to master it.
  • Marcelo Arias said:...
    I'm going to follow your advice and try to work it out. In my case the size matters because when you want to share your work in websites or social networks, there is always a limit to the files you share, in some cases ridiculously small and I know that is not up to you either.Thank you for taking your time with me and will let you know about it when I get to master it.
    Hi Marcelo. I understand your concerns with filesize for online usage. Saving bandwidth is good!

Ask more about the plugin or report problems. If you suspect a bug in the plugin, it's preferred to open an internal ticket. If you want to know more about some specifics of the plugin, a public forum is good, as it might serve as the answer to others with similar question. Your question about file size is an excellent addition to "Knowledge Base," as it's a side-effect of the plugin's jitter if you apply GF on actual footage and for every frame. Besides previously mentioned options, try to play around with "Matching Accuracy." The lower the value, the less sensitivity to noise, leading to a more stable output but lower accuracy.
    In GF, I expect the best results with the right combination of
    "Skip Frame(s)" = values 2-4,
    "Starting Pos. Strategy" = Stable Random or Grid,
    and "Matching Accuracy" = values 55-85.
    Also worth trying, applying a bit of gaussian blur or denoise before GF's processing.
    The less shivery the output while compositing, the better it will compress.
    I'm looking forward to your results and how it went.