• Help!

Today I'm having dificulties downloading the tiles, they look corrupt. There's a weird interlacing effect and the colors are only blue and green.

Is this me? Everything was working perfectly yesterday. All the imagery previes when creating a new mapcomp also look weird.

Thanks!

• Help!

Today I'm having dificulties downloading the tiles, they look corrupt. There's a weird interlacing effect and the colors are only blue and green.

Is this me? Everything was working perfectly yesterday. All the imagery previes when creating a new mapcomp also look weird.

Thanks!

Hi please open a support ticket and we will help you out.
  • Is this the right place for this question? If not, please point me to where I should post this.

I am a complete novice in AFX and GeoLayers, and have a plan but no idea how to do it. Maybe you have an idea where I could start - tutorials that deal with these questions?

I want to visualise something like the "Völkerwanderung" as undefined (no fixed borders) particles moving across the 3D landscape. So, the particles should stick to rivers (not modern roads), they should be wide in areas with flat land, they should be narrow in between two montains (in a gorge).

I am aware that there is not click and play solution, that I have to much of that manually. I think that I need RedGiant Particles or Form to create those "streams". 

My main question right now:
    Is there a way to have particles stick to the ground and be "mountain-aware", be aware of the 3D height properties given by GeoLayers. So that the stream of particles is wide before a gorge, norrow in a gorge, and wide again after a gorge? The direction should be definded by a path that I draw manually (over a river for example).
  • AAA DDD said:
    Is this the right place for this question? If not, please point me to where I should post this.

I am a complete novice in AFX and GeoLayers, and have a plan but no idea how to do it. Maybe you have an idea where I could start - tutorials that deal with these questions?

I want to visualise something like the "Völkerwanderung" as undefined (no fixed borders) particles moving across the 3D landscape. So, the particles should stick to rivers (not modern roads), they should be wide in areas with flat land, they should be narrow in between two montains (in a gorge).

I am aware that there is not click and play solution, that I have to much of that manually. I think that I need RedGiant Particles or Form to create those "streams". 

My main question right now:
    Is there a way to have particles stick to the ground and be "mountain-aware", be aware of the 3D height properties given by GeoLayers. So that the stream of particles is wide before a gorge, norrow in a gorge, and wide again after a gorge? The direction should be definded by a path that I draw manually (over a river for example).
    Hello Andreas,

unfortunately, I cannot give you a specific tutorial for your exact requirements. GEOlayers can e.g. show elevation data as a grayscale map. This could e.g. be a solution that the particles flow through the valleys and not over the mountains.

For more detailed help, please open a support ticket.

Regards -
    Nico

• Hello.
    Geo Layers looks like an awesome plug in. I haven't used it yet, but I think I will have a need for it very soon. Please could I confirm whether the imagery it generates can be used and licensed for commercial purposes, without have to attribute the source on screen (attributions can be added to the credits though)? Where can I find out more about licensing and attributing? Many thanks.  
  • Hi, how to draw 3D buildings in geolayers 3? I don't see the option in download features in any map and any zoom level.
  • Hi, 

I tried to draw features from an KmZ file but Geolayers told me features are too small (In Pictures below). Do you know what can I do to fix it?

Thanks a lot
    Capture d’écran 2020-10-19 à 09.43.46.png
    1309 x 1015 - 253K
  • Hi, 

I tried to draw features from an KmZ file but Geolayers told me features are too small (In Pictures below). Do you know what can I do to fix it?

Thanks a lot
    Hello Sebastien,
    could you please open a support ticket and attach the KMZ file?
    Kind Regards
    Nico
  • HI,

Have you a wiki or something like this ? Your videos are long and explain precise exemple but there's nothing really explaining all the options of the plug. If you want going outside of the box it's not really handly.
  • HI,

Have you a wiki or something like this ? Your videos are long and explain precise exemple but there's nothing really explaining all the options of the plug. If you want going outside of the box it's not really handly.
    Hi Cedric,
    You can use the Help. You can find it in the flyout menu or right clicking the panel somewhere. Every function of the panel is explained there. Please let us know if you're missing something.
    Best regards,
    Markus
  • Hi, I posted a message/question here yesterday which seems to have disappeared. So, if I may ask again?

I would like to use GEOlayers 3 for an upcoming project and will definitely buy this plugin if it is suitable.  The end client is a major cartographer, mapping and mapping data organisation that makes data available online with various subscription packages, including some free tiers. Any map animations I build MUST be using their maps and data. Is it possible to customise GEOlayers 3 to point to their data or load supplied map and data files directly? I am confident that their tech teams will be able to format their data in way that matches your current data source.
  • Hi, I posted a message/question here yesterday which seems to have disappeared. So, if I may ask again?

I would like to use GEOlayers 3 for an upcoming project and will definitely buy this plugin if it is suitable.  The end client is a major cartographer, mapping and mapping data organisation that makes data available online with various subscription packages, including some free tiers. Any map animations I build MUST be using their maps and data. Is it possible to customise GEOlayers 3 to point to their data or load supplied map and data files directly? I am confident that their tech teams will be able to format their data in way that matches your current data source.
    Hey Michael,

Yes this should be possible. Industry standard tileservers as well as a large range of data formats can be imported. You can check it out with the free trial. We can assist you to get their maps running inside GEOlayers. Therefore please open a support ticket.

Best
    Markus
  • Hi Markus/Nico,

Just upgraded to version 3. Loving the new build and features. 
    But unfortunately i'm running into a problem. 

In version 2 you could generate a Land Mask mapcomp. After some searching i found out the Water Mask Mapcomp feature is essentially the same, just the name has changed. There's only one snag, the detail of the matte. It's very low in comparison with the 'master' mapcomp. Version 2 did not have this problem. I cannnot set tile size or extra detail. Is there some fix?
  • Hi Markus/Nico,

Just upgraded to version 3. Loving the new build and features. 
    But unfortunately i'm running into a problem. 

In version 2 you could generate a Land Mask mapcomp. After some searching i found out the Water Mask Mapcomp feature is essentially the same, just the name has changed. There's only one snag, the detail of the matte. It's very low in comparison with the 'master' mapcomp. Version 2 did not have this problem. I cannnot set tile size or extra detail. Is there some fix?
    Hi Gerben,

Glad to hear you like the new version! You can actually export the land mask server profile from v2 and import it in v3. Let me know if you need any assistance.

Best regards,
    Markus
  • Hi, I'm about to start a project involving quite a lot of maps and I have 2 questions:

How does it work with rights - is there gonna be a watermark, extra payment or what do I do to have a map with no watermarks ready for TV broadcast?

If I understand correctly to get some 3d I must have one of the 3 other plug-ins. Can I A) add layers on top of it (highlight areas) that will wrap around the 3d? and B) which of the plug-ins would be best to show just shaded terrain with minimum or non of the satellite pictures with just state borders, capitals and rivers displayed? Thank you
  • Hi
    What can I do if I can't search a river (in that case) or any other element?
    Regards
  • Hi, I'm about to start a project involving quite a lot of maps and I have 2 questions: How does it work with rights - is there gonna be a watermark, extra payment or what do I do to have a map with no watermarks ready for TV broadcast? If I understand correctly to get some 3d I must have one of the 3 other plug-ins. Can I A) add layers on top of it (highlight areas) that will wrap around the 3d? and B) which of the plug-ins would be best to show just shaded terrain with minimum or non of the satellite pictures with just state borders, capitals and rivers displayed? Thank you
    Hey Vanek,
    1) Yes by default you'll need to keep the map provider attribution on screen. If you want to remove it you'll need to get in touch with the map provider you're using.
    2) Correct for a 3D displacement of the terrain you'll need one of the additional plugins.
    2A) Yes you can draw shapes and highlights to the texturemap which will be displaced according to the elevation.
    2B) I'd go with trapcode mir 3. You can also achieve it with FreeformPro though.

Hi
    What can I do if I can't search a river (in that case) or any other element?
    Regards
    Hey Iban,
    You could click the plus top left of the Feature Browser, hit "download features" and select "current view features". This will download all features in the current view of your preview map. If you have further issues please open a support ticket. There is several other ways to import features. Let us know if we can help

Best regards,
    Markus
  • Hi,

Is there a way to import Geotiff into Geolayers 3?

Thank you
  • Hi,

Is there a way to import Geotiff into Geolayers 3?

Thank you
    Hey Joffrey,

Yes, the best way to do this is creating a local tile directory from the .geotiff with an application like QGIS or MapTiler Desktop. You can then create a new map imagery style from this local tileset in GEOlayers. If you need more help with this please open a support ticket.

Best regards,
    Markus
  • Great extension! That said, I am unable to draw realistic routes between two points (car, pedestrian, bicycle), as I continuously get the message: "unexpected token N in JSON at position 0". I've tried changing the route to other locations as a test but the problem persists. Any ideas as to why this is happening? Thank you!
  • Great extension! That said, I am unable to draw realistic routes between two points (car, pedestrian, bicycle), as I continuously get the message: "unexpected token N in JSON at position 0". I've tried changing the route to other locations as a test but the problem persists. Any ideas as to why this is happening? Thank you!
    Hello Andrew,
    could you please download and install the current release GEOlayers 3 1.1.8 and try again?
    If the new version doesn’t solve the problem, please open a support ticket.
    Kind regards
    Nico

• Hey, since today I experience "Error importing features" when trying to download features to the browser.
  • Hey, since today I experience "Error importing features" when trying to download features to the browser.

Hello Florian,
    could you please download and install the current release GEOlayers 3 1.1.8 and try again?
    If the new version doesn’t solve the problem, please open a support ticket.
    Kind regards
    Nico
  • Is there no way to have a higher resolution height map on a 3D landscape? Why is 512 the maximum? If I try increasing the size of the heightmap comp itself it doesn't stay linked to the other comps...am I missing something?
  • Did anyone solved this problem with error of downloading features? How can I solve it?
  • Did anyone solved this problem with error of downloading features? How can I solve it?
    Hello,
    yes, unfortunately there are currently problems with the server delivering Natural Earth Data. We quickly moved the data ourselves and the recently published GEOlayers release should work again. We apologize for any inconvenience.
    Kind regards
    Nico
    Hello Florian, could you please download and install the current release GEOlayers 3 1.1.8 and try again? If the new version doesn’t solve the problem, please open a support ticket. Kind regards Nico
    Hello,
    unfortunately there are currently problems with the server delivering Natural Earth Data. We quickly moved the data ourselves and the recently published GEOlayers release should work again. We apologize for any inconvenience.
    Kind regards
    Nico
    Hello Andrew,
    If the new version doesn’t solve the problem, please open a support ticket.
    Kind regards
    Nico

Hello,
    yes, unfortunately there are currently problems with the server delivering Natural Earth Data. We quickly moved the data ourselves and the recently published GEOlayers release should work again. We apologize for any inconvenience.
    Kind regards
    Nico
  • Hello Nico,
    In the screenshots there is a Image showing the Usage of Geolayers 3 and VC Orb. This would be excatly what i need. Is there any tutorial for this out there ?

BR Dirk
  • Hello Nico,
    In the screenshots there is a Image showing the Usage of Geolayers 3 and VC Orb. This would be excatly what i need. Is there any tutorial for this out there ?

BR Dirk
    Hi Dirk,

Not yet a tutorial (which is on my list;)... but there is a sample project. Open the projects menue from the flyout menue or right-clicking the panel anywhere. Then in the Sample Projects section you can find the "Globe" project. Please let us know if you have further problems!
    Best,
    Markus
  • I don't understand where it is written "MapTiler Cloud. There is a very easy way to access and license mapdata for your commercial and non-commercial projects." Do you mean that without the subscription I don't have the licence to use it for commercial projects? 
  • I don't understand where it is written "MapTiler Cloud. There is a very easy way to access and license mapdata for your commercial and non-commercial projects." Do you mean that without the subscription I don't have the licence to use it for commercial projects? 
    Hello Julie,
    you can use GEOlayers also without the subscription. And you could use it for commercial projects, but without the mapdata subscription you do not have the full range of GEOlayers features, since the corresponding data is not available without the mapdata subscription.

What's MapTiler Cloud for? It empowers the following features of GEOlayers 3:

• A data license for your comercial projects
    • Stylized Mapcomp Imagery
    • Find Features by clicking the preview map
    • Mapcomp Labels in different languages
    • Watermask Mapcomps
    • Feature import for the current view
    • 3D Building drawing
    Hope that helps a little bit. If you have further questions, or need assistance, please open a support ticket https://aescripts.com/contact/?product_id=1470.
    Kind regards
    Nico
  • I am still using GeoLayers 2 because I have a large collection of maps that I am not ready to duplicate in Version 3. I am experiencing a problem with my water mask comps not rendering correctly. Is this because I no longer have access to the water mask database now that it's included with Map Tiler Cloud? 
  • I am still using GeoLayers 2 because I have a large collection of maps that I am not ready to duplicate in Version 3. I am experiencing a problem with my water mask comps not rendering correctly. Is this because I no longer have access to the water mask database now that it's included with Map Tiler Cloud? 
    Hey Lisa,
    no GEOlayers 2 water mask mapcomps should not be affected. They use stamen mapstack as a source: http://mapstack.stamen.com/ This is sort of old technology and users have had quite a few issues with it in the past. (Which was one reason why we looked for alternatives for version 3) For now if you have problems with the water mask you'll need to get in touch with stamen design. If you need further assistance also with converting projects please let us know. You can for example import the old V2 server profiles in V3.
    Best regards,
    Markus 
  • hello, I'm a bit confused with how the 'floating license' works.
    At work I would like to install Geolayers 3 on a few different workstations. 
    How do I do that?
    Do I need a server?
    Do I need to buy 'floating license' by aescript for additional 50$?
  • hello, I'm a bit confused with how the 'floating license' works.
    At work I would like to install Geolayers 3 on a few different workstations. 
    How do I do that?
    Do I need a server?
    Do I need to buy 'floating license' by aescript for additional 50$?
    Hey Patrick, please have a look at this FAQ: https://aescripts.com/knowledgebase/index/view/faq/floating-license-faq/
    If you still have questions please open a support ticket and we will help you out.
    Best regards,
    Markus
  • to me its not clear for what exactly i would need an additional subscription to 'Map tile cloud'

1. Do I need Map Tile Cloud for the use of bing street maps?
    2. Can I use GeoLayers 3 without Map Tile Cloud for commercial work? 
    3. Can I use the natively integrated maps WITHOUT Map Tile?

• to me its not clear for what exactly i would need an additional subscription to 'Map tile cloud'

1. Do I need Map Tile Cloud for the use of bing street maps?
    2. Can I use GeoLayers 3 without Map Tile Cloud for commercial work? 
    3. Can I use the natively integrated maps WITHOUT Map Tile?

Hello Patrick,
    1. you don't need the Mandate Subscription for bing imagery
    2. yes, please check the terms of use eg. for bing imagery if your use case fits the terms
    3. all styleable maps are not available without the mapdate subscription

MapTiler Cloud 

An easy way to license mapdata for your video projects.There is a very easy way to access and license mapdata for your commercial and non-commercial projects.

By buying a license for GEOlayers 3 you can check out OpenStreetMap-based data powered by MapTiler Cloud for two weeks. This empoweres GEOlayers 3 to style maps directly inside After Effects, automatically create mapcomp labels in different languages, and a lot more. After the two weeks you can of course use GEOlayers 3 without any additional cost. The data subscription is fully optional and can be purchased only as you need it.

If you want to continue using MapTiler Cloud you can create an account there and connect GEOlayers.

What's MapTiler Cloud for?

It empowers the following features of GEOlayers 3:

• A data license for your comercial projects
    • Stylized Mapcomp Imagery
    • Find Features by clicking the preview map
    • Mapcomp Labels in different languages
    • Watermask Mapcomps
    • Feature import for the current view
    • 3D Building drawing

Apart from that you get:

• Access to the MapTiler Cloud platform
    • Advanced map styling
    • Additional datasets
    • Upload your own datasets
    • Use your maps on the web seamlessly
    • and much more...
    Hope that helps. If you have further question,  please open a support ticket.
    Kind Regards
    Nico
  • Hello, is there a tutorial for explaining this effect?    
    Hi Brian,
    no tutorial yet but we can send you the project file. Please open a support ticket therefore
    Best,
    Markus
    Hi Brian,
    no tutorial yet but we can send you the project file. Please open a support ticket therefore
    Best,
    Markus
    Thanks, I will.
  • How can I get geodata from historical borders (like roman empire) ?

I bought the software for documentations and it seems to be limited to modern streets, labels and borders
  • How can I get geodata from historical borders (like roman empire) ? I bought the software for documentations and it seems to be limited to modern streets, labels and borders
    Hi Martin,

the default basemaps are up to date, thats right but GEOlayers is not limited to that data. A great resource for historical maps is this github repo: https://github.com/aourednik/historical-basemaps You can import each .geojson file into the GEOlayers browser. In our latest version we've also built a panel that lets you browse github repos and directly import files from there. Search the help for "scripting Api" and download the examples to check it out. 

If you have further questions please open a support ticket.

Best,
    Markus
  • After successful installation geolayers3-1_2_0-569 I don't see it in AE at all. 
    AE 17.5.1 (Build 47)

Please help, 
    Thanks
  • I figured it out, I had to install previous version before installing upgrade 3.1.2
  • The plugin has an overhelming functionality. But a part of them can't be used without paying maptile services. 
    I have some experience in using QGIS and how to access to free services of gis-data providers (public and commercial).
    You have access for free to a lot of raster and vector data and the interface of qgis helps you to manage this all. In geolayers you need to subscripe the flex plan. About 30 $ is the minimum price to load or have access to at least one feature set.
    A user like me, who is using geolayers to make a video of a journey this is to expensive. 
    Also the managing of the imagery settings seem to me a little bit primitive.
    Without access to these services one must import features via files to make the image nice. These features can be styled with geolayers tools quite well. It would be great if I could also import feature data stored in geopackages or spatiaLite which I have filled with the help of Qgis.
    But consider every import of coordinates includes the problem how to refer or to translate to the actual cordinate system used in geolayers. I guess geolayers presumes data corresponding to EPSG:3857 - WGS 84 / Pseudo-Mercator.  
  • Can i do this effect with this pluging?
    Effect start at 0:27seg
  • I figured it out, I had to install previous version before installing upgrade 3.1.2
    Great to hear you figured it out! Shouldn't be necessary to install the previous one but there might have been a corrupt installation that has been cleared as you installed the previous one.

The plugin has an overhelming functionality. But a part of them can't be used without paying maptile services. 
    I have some experience in using QGIS and how to access to free services of gis-data providers (public and commercial).
    You have access for free to a lot of raster and vector data and the interface of qgis helps you to manage this all. In geolayers you need to subscripe the flex plan. About 30 $ is the minimum price to load or have access to at least one feature set.
    A user like me, who is using geolayers to make a video of a journey this is to expensive. 
    Also the managing of the imagery settings seem to me a little bit primitive.
    Without access to these services one must import features via files to make the image nice. These features can be styled with geolayers tools quite well. It would be great if I could also import feature data stored in geopackages or spatiaLite which I have filled with the help of Qgis.
    But consider every import of coordinates includes the problem how to refer or to translate to the actual cordinate system used in geolayers. I guess geolayers presumes data corresponding to EPSG:3857 - WGS 84 / Pseudo-Mercator.  
    Hey Reinhold,
    Completely understand you here. While offering a quick easy and robust workflow with MapTiler data, we want to suit the needs of users like you who are just creating map animations as a hobby or simply because they are interested in it. So it would be great if you'd open a support ticket and tell us some more details what you need. Hey you're right internally GEOlayers works with EPSG:3857 - WGS 84 but we support about 3900 coordinate systems on import.

cpt solo said:
    Can i do this effect with this pluging?
    Effect start at 0:27seg
    If you want textured 3D buildings GEOlayers won't do the job. You might check out Google Earth Studio or DEM Earth for that. If you`re ok with a 2.5D look you can use GEOlayers for it.
  • Hello - pardon me if this is an elementary question or a little obtuse - I am new to GIS and data animation as a concept.  I have a client who would like an animated map of the spread of COVID across the United States.  I have downloaded a trial version of your plugin and have loaded the COVID-19 sample project.  It is very impressive, for certain.  However, I am not sure from the sample project how to go about getting the same type of animation for just the USA and with more detail.  Also, for this particular client the ability to change the look would be a huge bonus.  I have looked at a couple of your tutorials and they have not given me the knowledge to make the leap to adjust your sample project.  If you could please tell me whether what I am asking is possible and, if so, what resources I should be looking at to get my bearings?  Thank you for your time and your plugin looks wonderful.
  • John Ward said:
    Hello - pardon me if this is an elementary question or a little obtuse - I am new to GIS and data animation as a concept.  I have a client who would like an animated map of the spread of COVID across the United States.  I have downloaded a trial version of your plugin and have loaded the COVID-19 sample project.  It is very impressive, for certain.  However, I am not sure from the sample project how to go about getting the same type of animation for just the USA and with more detail.  Also, for this particular client the ability to change the look would be a huge bonus.  I have looked at a couple of your tutorials and they have not given me the knowledge to make the leap to adjust your sample project.  If you could please tell me whether what I am asking is possible and, if so, what resources I should be looking at to get my bearings?  Thank you for your time and your plugin looks wonderful.
    Hi John, this is truly not an elementary question when it comes to data-viz. GEOlayers can visualize also a dataset for only the US. I'm not quite sure if there is one available that holds the history of all values, like the world wide one in the sample project does. Apart from that the style is fully customizable. To help you out it is better for us if you open a support ticket .
    Best
    Markus