• Hello! I am new to GeoLayers. I have viewed all the tutorials and can't seem to figure out how to do a basic task. Essentially, I am animating a map of Alaska. The purpose of the map is to show that Alaska is so large that you can fit the state of Texas inside the map 3 times. I just want to take the shape layer that is created when I search for Texas and I want to put it inside the map of Alaska. Any idea how I can do this?
    Hello Ben,

basically it wouldn't be a problem to show you how it works technically, but there is a problem. GEOlayers only works in Mercator Projection like pretty much every map on the web in books unless it is an atlas. However, the sizes are not correct in this type of projection. GEOlayers would have to be able to draw Texas at the position of Alaska in order to get the size in the correct ratio. Unfortunately it is not implemented that way and we are not likely to do it either.

This Article great to understand the problem:

Kind regards
    Nico
  • Hello,
    I am wondering if there is any easy way to use use a different feature property other than "name" to create labels. My goal is to label all of my layers with two feature properties that I imported with a tsv.
  • Hello,
    I am wondering if there is any easy way to use use a different feature property other than "name" to create labels. My goal is to label all of my layers with two feature properties that I imported with a tsv.
    Hey Benjamin,

Sure thing! In the Label Template Comp simply change the Text Layers name or content to something like this "Latitude: {lat}, Longitude: {lon}" or "{propertyName1} and {propertyName2}" GEOlayers will detect variable names that are wrapped in curly brackets. 
    At the moment we only have a detailled tut about Label Templates for Version 2 but most of it also applies vo Version 3: 
    4:30s should be interresting for you.

If you have further questions please let us know!
  • Hi, Markus!
    Can I get the money back?
    This plugin doesn't work for me.
    It is impossible to set up the desired language (Russian) and requires an additional paid subscription to the MapTiler, which I did not know about when buying. It's too expensive and pointless for my little project. 
    I did not manage to use the plugin in half a day of study.

Buying this plugin was a huge expensive mistake :-(
  • Ann Mnn said:
    Hi, Markus!
    Can I get the money back?
    This plugin doesn't work for me.
    Hi Ann,

sorry to hear that GEOlayers have not helped you with your project, and you are not satisfied with the extension. To issue a refund you'd need to open a support ticket and tell us what made you unhappy. It would be great for us to know what in particular you had problems with in order to improve the product. We are sorry for inconvenience!

Best regards,
    Markus
  • Still havent been able to fix issue Ive had since March.

Map imagery doesn't appear in the composition Panel for me, Just black.
    Ive tried uninstalling and reinstalling and updating to the April release. I can see the preview map in the Geolayers interface but in the Composition Panel only the maps watermark and location names will appear(Somtimes). When attempting to finalize it tells me the tiles cannot be rendered.

When I first installed it worked fine and suddenly stopped. Unable to complete project for Client.
    Opened Support Ticket but haven't heard back yet. Submitted again today.  :/
  • Hello, Markus!

I'm using the trial version of Geolayers, which is a great tool, but I couldn't finalize composition since yesterday. The newly created MapComp is black and searching cannot be used also. Geolayers will pop up a window to display "Datarequest limit for free trial reached. Imagery won't be rendered anymore."

I am wondering if this is due to the problem that I have not subscribed Maptile data, or is it just a problem in the trial version of Geolayers.

I noticed that some non-advanced Imagery such as "CartoDB" or "Bing Aerial", they are not part of Maptile's data. If I purchase Geolayers, but do not purchase a subscription to Maptile, can I use these non-advanced Imagery like "CartoDB"?

Thanks for your help!
  • Dan Grady said:
    Still havent been able to fix issue Ive had since March.

Map imagery doesn't appear in the composition Panel for me, Just black.
    Ive tried uninstalling and reinstalling and updating to the April release. I can see the preview map in the Geolayers interface but in the Composition Panel only the maps watermark and location names will appear(Somtimes). When attempting to finalize it tells me the tiles cannot be rendered.

When I first installed it worked fine and suddenly stopped. Unable to complete project for Client.
    Opened Support Ticket but haven't heard back yet. Submitted again today.  :/
    Hi Dan,

We're sorry that we couldn't come up with a conclusion for you issue yet. I've seen the ticket. We will keep you updated there. Again sorry for inconvenience!

Hello, Markus!

I'm using the trial version of Geolayers, which is a great tool, but I couldn't finalize composition since yesterday. The newly created MapComp is black and searching cannot be used also. Geolayers will pop up a window to display "Datarequest limit for free trial reached. Imagery won't be rendered anymore."

I am wondering if this is due to the problem that I have not subscribed Maptile data, or is it just a problem in the trial version of Geolayers.

I noticed that some non-advanced Imagery such as "CartoDB" or "Bing Aerial", they are not part of Maptile's data. If I purchase Geolayers, but do not purchase a subscription to Maptile, can I use these non-advanced Imagery like "CartoDB"?

Thanks for your help!
    Hi Masatoshi,

The notice "Datarequest limit for free trial reached. Imagery won't be rendered anymore." only pops up in the trial version of GEOlayers. Once you have purchased you can use all the non-advanced Imagery such as CartoDB or Bing Aerial without limitations. Only for the ones with the MapTiler icon top right you'll need to subscribe to a MapTiler data plan. You can test them 14 days after purchase though.
  • Hello, Markus!

I am wondering after buying the Geolayers, how many computers it can activate on, and if I reinstall After Effects or reinstall the Windows system, can I still activate Geolayers again?
  • Hi Markus,

I had the same issue as Dan but seems to be where the tiles are going to in the preferences. If this is reset all seems to work.

Paul
  • Hello, Markus!

I am wondering after buying the Geolayers, how many computers it can activate on, and if I reinstall After Effects or reinstall the Windows system, can I still activate Geolayers again?
    It is a Single User License so as long as it is you who is working with it you can run it on multiple machines.

Hi Markus,

I had the same issue as Dan but seems to be where the tiles are going to in the preferences. If this is reset all seems to work.

Paul
    Hey Paul, thanks for the info. Sounds like an OS Permissions issue then...
  • Hello, Markus! 

I am using Geolayers3 with Red Giant Trapcode Particular. I want to create 3D particle effects such as explosions or rain on the map. When the perspective of the map changes, the explosion and rain will correctly follow the perspective change. But I don’t know how to align the 3d coordinates of Particular with the coordinates of Geolayers3. I tried Particular’s Light Emitter but it didn’t achieve the effect I wanted. Could you let me know how I can make this work? Is there any places I find related tutorials? I found some showcases on Vimeo and Facebook have similar effects (like this one:  and this one: https://www.facebook.com/GEOlayers/videos/let-it-snow-with-trapcode-mir-particular-geolayers-2/1763713070329404/). Can I find the relevant project files? 

English is not my native language, I hope you can understand my question, thank you for your help very much.
  • Hello, Markus! 

I am using Geolayers3 with Red Giant Trapcode Particular. I want to create 3D particle effects such as explosions or rain on the map. When the perspective of the map changes, the explosion and rain will correctly follow the perspective change. But I don’t know how to align the 3d coordinates of Particular with the coordinates of Geolayers3. I tried Particular’s Light Emitter but it didn’t achieve the effect I wanted. Could you let me know how I can make this work? Is there any places I find related tutorials? I found some showcases on Vimeo and Facebook have similar effects (like this one:  and this one: https://www.facebook.com/GEOlayers/videos/let-it-snow-with-trapcode-mir-particular-geolayers-2/1763713070329404/). Can I find the relevant project files? 

English is not my native language, I hope you can understand my question, thank you for your help very much.
    Hey Bruce,

in general if you're using an particle system that can be snapped to an AE layer you can simply parent this reference layer to the Anchor Layer of your Mapcomp. Like this it will be rotated and scaled with your Map animation. The example is done with a static mapcomp and an AE camera animation though. If you need further assistance please open a support ticket!

Best
    Markus
  • But Red Giant Particular doesn't seem to be able to simply snapped to another AE layer. I have tried make world transform but it doesn't work. This question really confused me for a very long time. Could you please talk more detail about how to do that? Thanks a lot!

Hello, Markus! 

Hey Bruce,

in general if you're using an particle system that can be snapped to an AE layer you can simply parent this reference layer to the Anchor Layer of your Mapcomp. Like this it will be rotated and scaled with your Map animation. The example is done with a static mapcomp and an AE camera animation though. If you need further assistance please open a support ticket!

Best
    Markus

• Is there a way of picking different map projections, from say Mercator (which looks like the default) to Gall-Peters or any other commonly used projection? And if so, is it animatable? Thanks!
  • Is there a way of picking different map projections, from say Mercator (which looks like the default) to Gall-Peters or any other commonly used projection? And if so, is it animatable? Thanks!
    Hello,
    no this is actually not possible and won't be in the near future.
    Kind regards
    Nico
  • Hello, when I want to create a route between two locations, a dialog box "an unknown error occurred server side" will appear. What is the reason for this and whether there is a solution. If you solve this problem that has been bothering me for a long time, I would like to express my gratitude to you in advance. Thank you very much.
  • Hello,

Is it possible to use/import location data of places that are not in the standard data set? And if so, how should my data be formatted?

I'll have LatLong, place name, province name, date built, and date abandoned.

Those data points should be the basis of my animation. 
  • An Dah said:
    Hello,

Is it possible to use/import location data of places that are not in the standard data set? And if so, how should my data be formatted?

I'll have LatLong, place name, province name, date built, and date abandoned.

Those data points should be the basis of my animation. 
    Hello,
    you could import a csv-file. The CSV-file should have columns for lat, lng. GEOlayers recognize these two properties and you can draw the data on a map. The other properties can be used to create e.g. data-driven styles.
    If you have further questions or need assistance, please open a support ticket instead.
    Kind regards
    Nico

• Hi. 

Using the trial currently and loving it so far, however today when I have gone to finalise (what will likely be my last test project before buying.) It has just crashed and is stuck on analyse mapcomp. I have tried several times and the same thing keeps happening.

I am using data imported from mapbox if that makes any difference
  • Hi. 

Using the trial currently and loving it so far, however today when I have gone to finalise (what will likely be my last test project before buying.) It has just crashed and is stuck on analyse mapcomp. I have tried several times and the same thing keeps happening.

I am using data imported from mapbox if that makes any difference
    Hey Tom,
    I've seen you created a support ticket. We will help you out there.
    Best regards,
    Markus
  • Is it possible to zoom passed the limit of a satellite image? For a project I need to start my animation really "low to the ground" but whenever I finalize the map I get a white screen. Max zoom is already set to 23.
  • hi there, I'm using GeoLayers 2 (yes, 2) and it won't seem to download map tiles.

Is Geolayers 2 still supported?
  • Is it possible to zoom passed the limit of a satellite image? For a project I need to start my animation really "low to the ground" but whenever I finalize the map I get a white screen. Max zoom is already set to 23.
    mh, with geolayers itself you can only zoom up to the max zoom that is set. You can try to pick up the zoom by animating the scale of the mapcomp layer as you reach the max zoom. If the imagery gets white this is what the satelite tile server delivers... Maybe you don't zoom in that far with GEOlayers and start zooming by scaling the mapcomp earlier?

hi there, I'm using GeoLayers 2 (yes, 2) and it won't seem to download map tiles.

Is Geolayers 2 still supported?
    GEOlayers 2 should still download imagery. We do not support it anymore, so there will be no bugfixes or updates but we will try to help you out if you open a support ticket
  • Hello, Markus! 

I am using Geolayers3, I find the maximum value of pitch is 60 degrees, is there a way to make the pitch value large than 60 degrees?

Thanks for your help!
  • am i able to refund if i dont like the features? 
  • So I've been using GeoLayers 2 for a while now because my client's map software specifically uses Mapbox, which is partnered to work inside GeoLayers 2. When GeoLayers 3 came out, they actually dropped Mapbox as a partner and now uses MapTiler.

I would just continue to use GeoLayers 2, but its now only compatible with After Effects 2019 and not anything newer. Does anyone know a solve around this? Thanks!

• Hello, Markus! 

I am using Geolayers3, I find the maximum value of pitch is 60 degrees, is there a way to make the pitch value large than 60 degrees?

Thanks for your help!
    Hey Bruce, no the max pitch value is locked to 60 degrees for technical reasons. If you need more you can create an oversized Mapcomp, make it a 3D layer and rotate it x-wise instead of using the built in pitch.

[Deleted User] said:
    am i able to refund if i dont like the features? 
    You can check out the trial version before you purchase to see if it works for you. Like this you'll get a good overview of the product before you spend money on it.

So I've been using GeoLayers 2 for a while now because my client's map software specifically uses Mapbox, which is partnered to work inside GeoLayers 2. When GeoLayers 3 came out, they actually dropped Mapbox as a partner and now uses MapTiler.

I would just continue to use GeoLayers 2, but its now only compatible with After Effects 2019 and not anything newer. Does anyone know a solve around this? Thanks!

Hey Ben, GEOlayers 3 works with Mapbox. You can integrate it pretty straight forward. Have a look here: 

• Hey,
    I'm using Geolayers 3 but it seems it has issue with downloading the tiles , whenever I hit the finalize it takes a while to download, but most of the time I have these black or low res tiles, can you please let me know if there's a solution.

P.S. I'm not sure that not having a mapdata license has anything to do with this problem or not.
  • Hi Markus! I was wondering if there are any tutorials that go through the features drawing and animating buidlings? 
  • Hey,
    I'm using Geolayers 3 but it seems it has issue with downloading the tiles , whenever I hit the finalize it takes a while to download, but most of the time I have these black or low res tiles, can you please let me know if there's a solution.

P.S. I'm not sure that not having a mapdata license has anything to do with this problem or not.
    i have a lot of this issue as well. Almost every map i create
    i sent a bug report, i can't download anything anymore. Now i have a new error with "could'nt authenticate user"
    i have a valid maptiler licence, and i don't know if the issue comes from maptiler or geolayers, i am in a rush and can't use it at all...
  • BS Lau said:
    Hey,

i have a lot of this issue as well. Almost every map i create
    i sent a bug report, i can't download anything anymore. Now i have a new error with "could'nt authenticate user"
    i have a valid maptiler licence, and i don't know if the issue comes from maptiler or geolayers, i am in a rush and can't use it at all...
    Sorry for the inconvenience. We had problems with a License Server. It has just been resolved. So it should work again for you. If you have further questions please open a support ticket.
  • Just wondering on the 3d maps with the options to use Mir / Freeform / Plexus.

If Plexus is used, is it possible to get the satellite image textures on the 3d landscape?  Or would that only work with Mir/Freeform?

Thanks
  • Just wondering on the 3d maps with the options to use Mir / Freeform / Plexus.

If Plexus is used, is it possible to get the satellite image textures on the 3d landscape?  Or would that only work with Mir/Freeform?

Thanks
    Hey Alan,

no, you'd need to use Mir of FreeForm in this Case. Plexus is limited to the more abstract look. you could increase the resolution of the points and facets though...
  • Hello,
    Is it possible to use railway routes?

Many thanks 
    Michal
  • Hello, I'm just getting started with GEOlayers (trial version for now).  So far I'm really impressed with the possibilities of this plugin, but one question I'm running into:  Is there a way to change the label settings (Effect Controls) on multiple label layers at the same time?  Or, alternately, to choose certain default label settings prior to creating a batch of labels?  I ask because I am going to be working on a number of animations that will have a large number of places labeled (hundreds at a time).  I can easily create the labels and adjust the look of the label template, but in order to change settings like "scale with map" and "rotate with map" I need to go into the Effects controls of each layer individually.  Maybe I'm missing something?  Any guidance would be appreciated!
  • Hello,
    Is it possible to use railway routes?

Many thanks 
    Michal
    No, thats not supported. One workaround yould be to create a route with Google My Maps, and export it as a kml. This file can then be imported into GEOlayers.

Hello, I'm just getting started with GEOlayers (trial version for now).  So far I'm really impressed with the possibilities of this plugin, but one question I'm running into:  Is there a way to change the label settings (Effect Controls) on multiple label layers at the same time?  Or, alternately, to choose certain default label settings prior to creating a batch of labels?  I ask because I am going to be working on a number of animations that will have a large number of places labeled (hundreds at a time).  I can easily create the labels and adjust the look of the label template, but in order to change settings like "scale with map" and "rotate with map" I need to go into the Effects controls of each layer individually.  Maybe I'm missing something?  Any guidance would be appreciated!
    Hey Nick, yes thats possible. Open your Label Template Composition, select the "Label Anchor Point" layer and add a Effect "Checkbox Control". Rename the effect to "Scale with Map" and enable it. You can also make Labels default to 3D Layer or turn on Collapse Transformation. Check out the helps "Label Templates" section for more info.
  • Hi

I'm trying out the trial version now, along with FreeForm Pro.  I also have a Maptiler FLEX.
    Can you help me to produce the stepped 3d landscape effect in your main showcase video at 19 seconds? > Philippines/Galathea depth.

Thanks
  • Hi

I'm trying out the trial version now, along with FreeForm Pro.  I also have a Maptiler FLEX.
    Can you help me to produce the stepped 3d landscape effect in your main showcase video at 19 seconds? > Philippines/Galathea depth.

Thanks
    Sure thing... Please open a support ticket and we can send you the project file.
  • Hello

Is it possible to add Arrow head/animation on a Plane route/path?

Thanks
  • Hi there -- I see there's a bundle purchase with Mettle Freeform Pro. On their website it says that Freeform is compatible with GeoLayer V2.
    Do you know if it is also compatible with GeoLayers3?
    Many thanks,
    Sue
  • Hello

Thanks
    Yes, Please check out this tutorial: 

Hi there -- I see there's a bundle purchase with Mettle Freeform Pro. On their website it says that Freeform is compatible with GeoLayer V2.
    Do you know if it is also compatible with GeoLayers3?
    Many thanks,
    Sue
    Yes FreeFormPro is also supported in GEOlayers 3.

Best regards,
    Markus
  • Hello

Thanks
    Yes, Please check out this tutorial.
    Thank you. But I found workaround:
    1. Draw new Plane Route
    2. Draw new Arrow layer (with this new Arrow button)
    3. Copy Plane Route path to Arrow Line path
    4. Copy Plane Route transform options to Arrow Layer transform. (If Arrow goes to far from end, delete few path end points)

This method has some copy/paste steps but I can use all the Arrow Layer Effects.
  • Hi Leo,

glad you found a workaround. You can also simply draw any feature(without trim paths animation), select the shapelayer and run the dafault script "shapes to arrows". This will convert your selected shapelayers to arrows.

Best regards,
    Markus
  • Hi Leo,

glad you found a workaround. You can also simply draw any feature(without trim paths animation), select the shapelayer and run the dafault script "shapes to arrows". This will convert your selected shapelayers to arrows.

Best regards,
    Markus
    Thank you. Did not knew about it.
    Good work.
  • Hi everyone !

I have tried Geolayers (Trial version), its very amazing and powerfull, after a decade on Curious Map softwar, its a revolution for me. However I have a question about one thing (it may be a stupid question) 

The copyrights shown at the bottom of the screen, would be hide after I bought the plug in ?

Thanks in advance,

Sincerely
  • Hi everyone !

I have tried Geolayers (Trial version), its very amazing and powerfull, after a decade on Curious Map softwar, its a revolution for me. However I have a question about one thing (it may be a stupid question) 

The copyrights shown at the bottom of the screen, would be hide after I bought the plug in ?

Thanks in advance,

Sincerely
    Hi Charles, thanks for the kind words first of all. The attribution requirement depends on the mapdata you are using. If you want to use any data/imagery without additional cost you will need to attribute the provider as far as i know the terms of use of them. The only dataset I know that does not require attribution is Natural Earth. But it is way less detailled than the others. It is good for political maps though. Hope that helps! 
    Best regards,
    Markus
  • Hi, 
    Curious if there's a way to add topography contour lines using Geo Maps?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks. 
  • Hello!

How can I find "Большая Валдайская Тропа" in plugin? Its long hiking road, and in plugin there are only little parts of it..

On OpenStreetMaps I can find it by clicking on "Relation" link:

Maybe it is possible to find items by number on osm (Большая Валдайская Тропа (10513530))? 
  • Amc Cdm said:
    Hello!

How can I find "Большая Валдайская Тропа" in plugin? Its long hiking road, and in plugin there are only little parts of it..

On OpenStreetMaps I can find it by clicking on "Relation" link:

Maybe it is possible to find items by number on osm (Большая Валдайская Тропа (10513530))? 

Yes there is. You can directly access osm features from the search. Type: "osm: rel10513530" this also works with osm ways (osm: way00000000) and single nodes (osm: node00000000)