• Collapse transformations on Controller comps not working?

I have a shape layer with blending mode set to multiply inside a controller but the blending mode is not working in the map comp even with the collapse transformations turned on.
    Hi, maybe the comp renderer is set to CINEMA 4D ?

No, both the main comp & controller comp have Classic 3D renderer

If i pre compose any element in the main comp, the collapse transformations & blending mode works but the controller comps do not.
    OK, guess the fastest way to find out whats wrong is sending us the project. Please open a support ticket therefore. One thing that behaves a bit strange sometimes is the tiles which have blend mode "alpha add". This is needed for clean zoomlevel transitions though.
    Thanks for the swift responses. Ticket #1085065
  • Collapse transformations on Controller comps not working?

I have a shape layer with blending mode set to multiply inside a controller but the blending mode is not working in the map comp even with the collapse transformations turned on.
    Hi, maybe the comp renderer is set to CINEMA 4D ?

No, both the main comp & controller comp have Classic 3D renderer

If i pre compose any element in the main comp, the collapse transformations & blending mode works but the controller comps do not.
    OK, guess the fastest way to find out whats wrong is sending us the project. Please open a support ticket therefore. One thing that behaves a bit strange sometimes is the tiles which have blend mode "alpha add". This is needed for clean zoomlevel transitions though.
    Thanks for the swift responses. Ticket #1085065
    eta on fix?
  • eta on fix?
    Done ;)
  • Is there a way to link google maps so they are used as the tile images?
    Yep, thats technically possible. Please make sure you are allowed to use their imagery and attribute correctly. I've seen you opened a support ticket. We'll help you there
  • When finalizing a large comp I am prompted to split the comp into multiple other mapcomps - what is the best way of doing this without having to create entirely new mapcomps and copy pasting all the assets from that and re-aligning them. Can I just CTRL+Shift D the mapcomp or will the finalization not recognise this as a separate mapcomp.
  • When finalizing a large comp I am prompted to split the comp into multiple other mapcomps - what is the best way of doing this without having to create entirely new mapcomps and copy pasting all the assets from that and re-aligning them. Can I just CTRL+Shift D the mapcomp or will the finalization not recognise this as a separate mapcomp.
    Hi John, please follow these steps to make it work:
    1. Click "Duplicate Mapcomp" in the Mapcomp List
    2. Choose the second option, enable the Link and hit duplicate
    3. Trim the Mapcomp Layers (Mapcomp 01: 0-30s, Mapcomp 02: 30-60s or something like this)
    Like this you can continue working in the containig comp of your "first Mapcomp" even if it is trimmed you can draw features to it and add labels. The dupe Mapcomp is only needed to handle the imagery.

If you have further questions please open a support ticket, and we'll help you out.
  • Hi,
    Do you have a doc or video for how to use Plexus 3 with Geolayer 3? I tried and got very low resolution 3d map.
    The image is full of dots. I am not very good with Plexus 3. Any video for it?

Thanks
    Jacob
  • YU QI said:

Hi,
    Do you have a doc or video for how to use Plexus 3 with Geolayer 3? I tried and got very low resolution 3d map.
    The image is full of dots. I am not very good with Plexus 3. Any video for it?

Thanks
    Jacob
    Hi Jacob, plexus renders only points lines and facets. You can achieve these low poly data looks with it. If you want realistic landscapes better choices are freeform pro, helium or trapcode mir.
  • Hi,
    Can I draw heat map with Geolayer 3 ? 
  • I have a small problem, I do not understand why I do not have the "3d building" icon on my geolayer 3
    geo.jpg
    540 x 269 - 40K
  • gra phic said:
    I have a small problem, I do not understand why I do not have the "3d building" icon on my geolayer 3
    You need Map Tiler Subscription for that.
  • Hi,
    Can I draw heat map with Geolayer 3 ? 
    Yes, there are three Dataviz Mapcomp Imagery Styles: Choropleth, Circles and Heatmap. You can use them to visualize larger datasets where AE shape layers are simply too slow in rendering.
  • Crashes. Lots of crashes. 
    Am I the only one with this?
  • Crashes. Lots of crashes. 
    Am I the only one with this?
    Hello,
    Please open a support ticket so we could check what’s going on.
    Kind regards 
    Nico
  • Hello!

I have a question before i purchase this product, are there any other monthly costs besides the Single User Licence? for example if i create a few dozen maps during a couple of months, do i need to pay some other server costs or anything? I apologize if im asking a dumb question, someone told me something in this regard and i dont see any info on it here, i just wanna make sure i know what im paying for :)

Thanks
  • Hi Nico,
    I have the last update for Geolayers 3 and try to make a project like "Route loop".
    But the interface is different between Geolayers on my computer and the one in the tutorial.
    So, please, how to do this with this new version? 
  • Hi Nico,
    I have the last update for Geolayers 3 and try to make a project like "Route loop".
    But the interface is different between Geolayers on my computer and the one in the tutorial.
    So, please, how to do this with this new version? 
    Hello,
    where exactly are you stuck?
    Please open a support ticket so we could help to get the project done.
    Kind regards
    Nico
  • Ion Camin said:
    Hello!

I have a question before i purchase this product, are there any other monthly costs besides the Single User Licence? for example if i create a few dozen maps during a couple of months, do i need to pay some other server costs or anything? I apologize if im asking a dumb question, someone told me something in this regard and i dont see any info on it here, i just wanna make sure i know what im paying for :)

Thanks
    Hello,
    some of GEOLayers Feature are powered by mandate from maptiler. 

MapTiler Cloud 

An easy way to license mapdata for your video projects.

There is a very easy way to access and license mapdata for your commercial and non-commercial projects.

By buying a license for GEOlayers 3 you can check out OpenStreetMap-based data powered by MapTiler Cloud for two weeks. This empoweres GEOlayers 3 to style maps directly inside After Effects, automatically create mapcomp labels in different languages, and a lot more. After the two weeks you can of course use GEOlayers 3 without any additional cost. The data subscription is fully optional and can be purchased only as you need it.

If you want to continue using MapTiler Cloud you can create an account there and connect GEOlayers.

What's MapTiler Cloud for? 

It empowers the following features of GEOlayers 3:

• A data license for your comercial projects
    • High quality maps of the whole globe
    • Style maps directly inside After Effects
    • Find OpenStreetMap Features by clicking the preview map
    • Mapcomp Labels in different languages
    • Watermask Mapcomps
    • Feature import for the current view
    • 3D Building drawing

Apart from that you get:

• Access to the MapTiler Cloud platform
    • Advanced map styling
    • Additional datasets
    • Upload your own datasets
    • Use your maps on the web seamlessly

If you have further questions or need assistance, please open a support ticket.

Kind regards
    Nico
  • I see Geolayers 3 says it now has a scripting API. I'm interested in this product and have downloaded the trial version and am tinkering around but cannot find anything about scripting through geolayers. I mostly just need to pan/zoom to a country, and change the style of the country. When I pan and copy the keyframes and paste into a text file, it gives me some some controls using 2 numbers, but I don't see how I would pan to a country using scripting to AE unless I knew the 2 numbers for every country ahead of time.

Could I get pointed to some additional information about scripting with geolayers before I purchase the product? Would it be done the same way as maptiler/maplibre GL JS?
  • I see Geolayers 3 says it now has a scripting API. I'm interested in this product and have downloaded the trial version and am tinkering around but cannot find anything about scripting through geolayers. I mostly just need to pan/zoom to a country, and change the style of the country. When I pan and copy the keyframes and paste into a text file, it gives me some some controls using 2 numbers, but I don't see how I would pan to a country using scripting to AE unless I knew the 2 numbers for every country ahead of time.

Could I get pointed to some additional information about scripting with geolayers before I purchase the product? Would it be done the same way as maptiler/maplibre GL JS?
    Hello,
    please open the help in GEOLayers. There is a whole section about the GEOLayers Scripting API and you'll also find some good example which shows what is possible. 
    If you have further questions please open a support ticket, and we'll help you out.
    Kind regards
    Nico

• Ion Camin said:
    Hello!

Thanks
    Hello,

MapTiler Cloud 

There is a very easy way to access and license mapdata for your commercial and non-commercial projects.

By buying a license for GEOlayers 3 you can check out OpenStreetMap-based data powered by MapTiler Cloud for two weeks. This empoweres GEOlayers 3 to style maps directly inside After Effects, automatically create mapcomp labels in different languages, and a lot more. After the two weeks you can of course use GEOlayers 3 without any additional cost. The data subscription is fully optional and can be purchased only as you need it.

If you want to continue using MapTiler Cloud you can create an account there and connect GEOlayers.

• Watermask Mapcomps
    • 3D Building drawing

Apart from that you get:

• Advanced map styling
    • Additional datasets

Kind regards
    Nico
    Thanks!

I will get in contact with MapTiler, thanks for the quick answer

Have a great day!
    Ion Camin said:
    Hello!

Thanks
    Hello,

MapTiler Cloud 

• Watermask Mapcomps
    • 3D Building drawing

Apart from that you get:

• Advanced map styling
    • Additional datasets

Kind regards
    Nico

• Hi, I am using the build in "Animate view along feature" in combination with 3D terrain created with trapcode mir.
    It seems the view is following a smoother version of the path to not have it wiggle too much. Is there any way to control this smoothness, to follow the path more closely? My problem is that I zoomed in quite a lot but now the path I want to follow goes outside of my screen because of this.
  • Hi, with the creation of the water mask, is there anyway to only include larger bodies of water(seas.oceans/largelakes) and nor river systems - as they eat into too much of the underlying imagery? I could add black shapes for that matte layer to cover but obviously harder with the more you zoom.
  • What's MapTiler Cloud for? 

• A data license for your commercial projects
    • Watermask Mapcomps
    • 3D Building drawing

Kind regards

Nico
    Why are you advertising that MapTiler gives you a "data license for your commercial projects" when the MapTiler site clearly states, " TV, Film, or
    Commercial Streaming requires custom material license agreement"?
    I've been burned by this issue before, and started using MapBox Studio instead of GeoLayers because of it, then found out MapBox also charges insane custom license fees but they don't tell you that up-front. 
  • Hi, I am using the build in "Animate view along feature" in combination with 3D terrain created with trapcode mir.
    It seems the view is following a smoother version of the path to not have it wiggle too much. Is there any way to control this smoothness, to follow the path more closely? My problem is that I zoomed in quite a lot but now the path I want to follow goes outside of my screen because of this.
    Hi Jonas, yes it is related to the current zoom. If you want it to follow the path more precisely you can zoom in a little more, the click "Animate View along Feature" and zoom out again.

Hi, with the creation of the water mask, is there anyway to only include larger bodies of water(seas.oceans/largelakes) and nor river systems - as they eat into too much of the underlying imagery? I could add black shapes for that matte layer to cover but obviously harder with the more you zoom.
    Yes, the Watermask is like a normal Mapcomp. You can click "Mapcomp Settings" in the Mapcomp list, click the Imagery Thumbnail again that is allready selected to edit the imagery settings. There you can dis/enable ocean, lakes and rivers separately.

• A data license for your commercial projects
    • Watermask Mapcomps
    • 3D Building drawing

Kind regards

Nico
    Why are you advertising that MapTiler gives you a "data license for your commercial projects" when the MapTiler site clearly states, " TV, Film, or
    Commercial Streaming requires custom material license agreement"?
    I've been burned by this issue before, and started using MapBox Studio instead of GeoLayers because of it, then found out MapBox also charges insane custom license fees but they don't tell you that up-front. 
    Hi Andrew,

we can understand your frustration on this. Map Licensing is a complex topic and we know that Fees especially for TV and Film can get pricy. No Matter if it is MapTiler, Mapbox or others. We found that MapTiler is a great partner as they have allways been solution-oriented with small studios and also provide a "Lite" Dataset that can be used for free for non-commercial projects. Without additional Fees you can use the OpenStreetMap or Bing Maps Imagery for example. They have limited styling capabilities though. If you work for a larger Media House who will publish the graphics you can also try to find out if they allready have a contract with a map provider set GEOlayers up to work with their maps. For further questions please open a support ticket.

Best,
    Markus 
  • Can anyone throw any light on what the actual commercial costs are likely to be. 
    any experience to share?
    Say you create a single 5 second crash zoom for a show, is that going to double the GFX budget and basically mean the After Effects team don't get paid?
    It is hard to even get a plug in budget but if it is more than stock footage costs then it is unlikely I can justify it.
    Be good if there was a bit of clarity over this, though obviously licensing is a very hard subject.
  • Hope this is OK Markus (and Lloyd!). 
    Removed it as pricing changes and depends on many factors. Please contact MapTiler for pricing and mention you are a GEOlayers user
  • I’m trying to figure out a way to use winter satellite imagery without a maptiler account. Any ideas? I can’t figure out how to alter the images coming in from Bing, but it seems like there should be a way. Or maybe I can just download some map imagery?
  • Hello,
    Buttons : + add map and, create a new map comp, don't work ?
    I can't create any mapcomp. 
    Any ideas where is the problem from ? 
    Thank you
  • I’m trying to figure out a way to use winter satellite imagery without a maptiler account. Any ideas? I can’t figure out how to alter the images coming in from Bing, but it seems like there should be a way. Or maybe I can just download some map imagery?
    Heiy Kennethy, there is Imagery from the NASA for each month of the year. https://visibleearth.nasa.gov/collection/1484/blue-marble?page=2 but it is only 21k by 10k Pixels, so you wont be able to zoom in a lot... an you'll need to convert it to mercator projection. You can do it like so:  If you need further help please open a support ticket.

Hello,
    Buttons : + add map and, create a new map comp, don't work ?
    I can't create any mapcomp. 
    Any ideas where is the problem from ? 
    Thank you
    We have seen you added a support ticket... we`ll answer there and find out whats wrong.
  • CORRECTION: the quote we got back from MapTiler appeared to be as my original post, but MapTiler issued a correction that made the overall budget for licensing about a dozen maps for a major streaming service documentary to be around $3,000, which is far better than I said above. YMMV

I would like to catch other artists before they go down the route of spending countless hours designing maps using the GEOlayers + MapTiler Cloud method. Unfortunately this is the default way that GEOlayers is set up if you don't do a bunch of digging to change the map data sources. For example, our quote came back from MapTiler and they would want $1500 PER MAP SHOT PLUS the annual subscription of $300. This cost is far greater than the entire graphics budget for the documentary and is completely avoidable if you know how to use some of THESE sources for your map data, and actively avoid using the functions in GEOlayers that depend on MapTiler.
  • Hello there

I have a project in geolayers 3. Geolayers 3 fails to do this during finalizing. The finalizing process never ends. I was supposed to deliver this project yesterday, I lost money and it seems I won't be able to deliver it today. Could you please help me?
    Ekran Resmi 2022-12-16 10.57.14.png
    2870 x 1614 - 673K
  • Hi nevzat, sure thing we're here to help. Please open a support ticket on aescripts.com/contact and attach the project file. No assets needed.
  • Hi nevzat, sure thing we're here to help. Please open a support ticket on aescripts.com/contact and attach the project file. No assets needed.
  • Hello, I want to remove water / ocean around Australia. I added "Australia" and "water" feature. I selected both and clicked " subtract lower features". 
    I'm getting message "Cannot read property "properties" of null". 

Does anyone have same issue? 

• Hello, I want to remove water / ocean around Australia. I added "Australia" and "water" feature. I selected both and clicked " subtract lower features". 
    I'm getting message "Cannot read property "properties" of null". 

Does anyone have same issue? 

Hey Aya, would you please open a support ticket and attach the features? We'll have a look into the issue then.
  • All of my Favorite Features have disappeared from all of my maps. Please tell me this isn't true.
  • Hello hello,

I am a newbie with the geolayers. firstly, i want to say that you have done an amazing job. that whole system is crazy. I appreciate your hardworking and all the contributions. 

One of my issue is that even if I watched all the tutorialset you provided, still having issues to navigate around the interface. Specifically, I realize so many times that I am improvising not thoughtfully doing stuff. I wonder whether it would be a nice idea to have a mastercourse kinda thing.

Lastly, I have a more specific issue. For instance, I want the boundaries of European Union members at once. As I said in 2nd paragraph, instead of knowing exactly what to do, I am creating the countries one by one and then create one European Union border. I know I can upload datasets, but I dont from which website and in which format and so on. For instance, eurostat has a variety of datasets, and I found a geojson, but they are not working properly.

In one of my latest projects, I wanted to highlight Carpathian Mountains for instance, however the available data was showing the center of the mountains not the spread. In the end, I tried to draw by myself, as I said in the second paragraph, I basically tried to improvise.

I hope it wont be hard to understand me bcs of my bad english. And I hope I can find convenient tools to learn and use geolayers. 

Thans
  • All of my Favorite Features have disappeared from all of my maps. Please tell me this isn't true.
    Hi Lisa, oh no... hard to tell how this happened. You can open a support ticket and we can dig a bit deeper. Quick Tip: You can SHIFT+Click "Export Features" in the Feature Browser and GEOlayers will export everything in your browser to a "features.geojson" file beneath your project. Geojson Files beneath the .aep will be imported automatically if you open the project.

Hello hello,

I am a newbie with the geolayers. firstly, i want to say that you have done an amazing job. that whole system is crazy. I appreciate your hardworking and all the contributions. 

One of my issue is that even if I watched all the tutorialset you provided, still having issues to navigate around the interface. Specifically, I realize so many times that I am improvising not thoughtfully doing stuff. I wonder whether it would be a nice idea to have a mastercourse kinda thing.

Lastly, I have a more specific issue. For instance, I want the boundaries of European Union members at once. As I said in 2nd paragraph, instead of knowing exactly what to do, I am creating the countries one by one and then create one European Union border. I know I can upload datasets, but I dont from which website and in which format and so on. For instance, eurostat has a variety of datasets, and I found a geojson, but they are not working properly.

In one of my latest projects, I wanted to highlight Carpathian Mountains for instance, however the available data was showing the center of the mountains not the spread. In the end, I tried to draw by myself, as I said in the second paragraph, I basically tried to improvise.

I hope it wont be hard to understand me bcs of my bad english. And I hope I can find convenient tools to learn and use geolayers. 

Thans
    Hi Caglarius,

First of all thanks for your kind words on our extension! We're happy to help but please open a support ticket. Otherwise it is hard for us to keep track of your issues.

Cheers,
    Markus
  • Hi guys, I need some help with the plugin geolayers 3, the map of this plugin has a very low quality and i don't know how to improve it is there anyone who can help me?

I leave you a photo of the map
    Schermata 2023-01-01 alle 14.02.31.png
    5120 x 2880 - 4M
  • I can't move with left click on the map.
    I'm make sure my mouse is working
    Does anyone has the same problem?
  • Kenny Ma said:
    I can't move with left click on the map.
    I'm make sure my mouse is working
    Does anyone has the same problem?
    Hi Kenny, we have some other users who experience this problem after an AE update. May you please open a support ticket for us to track the issue.

Hi guys, I need some help with the plugin geolayers 3, the map of this plugin has a very low quality and i don't know how to improve it is there anyone who can help me?

I leave you a photo of the map
    Hey Ali, looks like your window layout is not showing the complete panel... maybe you can undock it. then you will see a "Finalize" button top right, which will load and place high quality imagery...
  • I was using Geolayers 3 for almost a week now without problems.
    Now suddenly, when I open one of the Mapcomps in one of my Geolayers projects,
    the preview in After Effects freezes after approx. 30 seconds.
    I've tried almost everything (re-install After Effects, re-start PC, Purge Cache etc.) but the issue still happens. Once the preview is frozen, there's nothing I can do to get it to work again, it freezes and keeps showing the same frame despite me moving the playhead. Sometimes it also just turns black or grey, and sometimes After Effects even crashes.
    It only happens after approx. 30 seconds after opening a Mapcomp in one specifc Geolayers project, other Geolayers projects don't cause this issue.
    It is really weird and I can't pinpoint what exactly is causing the issue. The only thing I could figure out is that it only seems to happen with one specific project. 
    Anyway, I can't continue working on this project now because the preview freezes every time.

What can I do to fix this?

Screenshot 2023-01-02 191651.png
    1920 x 1080 - 273K
  • How do i edit ocean color? Ive made my animation and everything that I want but there was a color change request and I dont want to remake this. please help

• can i use real gps coordinates using GEOlayers 3?
  • Hello Geolayers3 community! It's glad to be here.

I consider buying Geolayers 3 and I am making a research about real costs of using this plugin. I wanna to make a movies on YouTube channel. Simple maps with countries borders, as many of you. But there is a question about license - I really don't know is purchasing GEOLayers3 enough to monetize my movies? 

Look at many channels using this plugin. Generally they have attribution on the bottom left - "Microsoft Bing / Map Tiller / Microsoft Corporation / Earthstar Geographics / OpenStreetMaps, etc. etc. I understand that there are names of companies which gave creators their data. Contribution is required and it's ok. But I really don't know - can I use it for monetization? There are many shorts, TikTok, YT Movies using GEOLayers and I don't think that all these creators contact with every company to get a license. How it really works? 

I heard, that I can use some of these companies data for free, just for buying GEOLayers. I mean all maps which are developed by OpenStreetMap, Microsoft Bing / Microsoft Corporation / Earthstar Geographics. I heard that I have to pay only for MapTiler data. I'm not sure this is true 

I hope that somebody can help me. I wanna buy GEOLayers and start making content but if it is illegal, I am not sure it is the best option. 
  • Hi Alex, First of all we are sorry that you felt insulted by this. Especially in these hard times. By no means this has any political reasons. GEOlayers basically uses 2 datasources: Natural Earth and OpenStreetMap. Each of them has "rules" how to handle disputed areas. You can read Details clicking the links. As a fix you can add "disputed areas of country" to your natural earth search. You can do that in the Preferences. Find it right clicking the panel anywhere or in the flyout menue. Once thats done you will get all disputed regions of a certain country when you download it, then you can add or subtract the disputed regions from the country feature. If you need further assistance please open a support ticket.

• Hello Geolayers3 community! It's glad to be here.

I consider buying Geolayers 3 and I am making a research about real costs of using this plugin. I wanna to make a movies on YouTube channel. Simple maps with countries borders, as many of you. But there is a question about license - I really don't know is purchasing GEOLayers3 enough to monetize my movies? 

Look at many channels using this plugin. Generally they have attribution on the bottom left - "Microsoft Bing / Map Tiller / Microsoft Corporation / Earthstar Geographics / OpenStreetMaps, etc. etc. I understand that there are names of companies which gave creators their data. Contribution is required and it's ok. But I really don't know - can I use it for monetization? There are many shorts, TikTok, YT Movies using GEOLayers and I don't think that all these creators contact with every company to get a license. How it really works? 

I heard, that I can use some of these companies data for free, just for buying GEOLayers. I mean all maps which are developed by OpenStreetMap, Microsoft Bing / Microsoft Corporation / Earthstar Geographics. I heard that I have to pay only for MapTiler data. I'm not sure this is true 

I hope that somebody can help me. I wanna buy GEOLayers and start making content but if it is illegal, I am not sure it is the best option. 
    Hey Szymon,

Thanks for reaching out! Generally we do not claim any ownership or license for the images and data you acquire
    with this software from any map service provider. Their terms of use apply.
    In the Mapcomp Settings you'll find an attribution info for the imagery used. This includes a quick wrap up and a link to the terms of use of the provider. For Example OpenStreetMap, Stamen and bing can be used commercially as long as you attribute correctly. Note that this is no legal advice! So please check their terms to be up to date.
  • Hello Markus is there any option how to earn discount for nonprofit organisation on this great tool? 

Many thanks, 
  • Hi Markus, when we copy an *.aep into a new folder, GEOLayers sometimes remains linked to the old tiles folder. Even after multiple finalize actions. We want to have the tiles folder always in the new project. How can we force this behavior?