BG Renderer Pro
  • Awesome!  Thanks!
  • Hey Yo,
    Could you make available a way of de-serializing BG renderer for us freelancers who move from studio to studio so no one else has the luxury of my account when im not there. Thanks.
  • We already have such as tool, just open a support ticket and we'll get it to you.
  • Hi Lloyd

Is it safe to assume this works well with CC?  It isn't listed under compatibility but I just watched a couple of videos where Mathias and Nick from GreyScaleGorilla are using it with Cineware.

Sean
  • yes it works in CC, it's just not officially supported right now.
  • Hi, I'm having a problem using BG Render.  When it launches I get a lot of "No such file or directory" and:

aerender Error: After Effects error: Error in output for render queue item 6, output module 1. Can not create a file in directory /Volumes/Graphics Drive/Napa 2013/finished-NAPA 2013. Try checking write permissions.

I have "ignore ownership" set for the drive that contains the .aep as well as read and write permissions for everyone.  Oh-I'm on a mac.

Any help would be awesome.  

Thanks,

Matt

• Hi, I'm having a problem using BG Render.  When it launches I get a lot of "No such file or directory" and:

aerender Error: After Effects error: Error in output for render queue item 6, output module 1. Can not create a file in directory /Volumes/Graphics Drive/Napa 2013/finished-NAPA 2013. Try checking write permissions.

I have "ignore ownership" set for the drive that contains the .aep as well as read and write permissions for everyone.  Oh-I'm on a mac.
    It is definitely a permissions issue. If you can't set the permissions for that drive then try rendering to another location where you know you have write permissions.
  • I am adding a Boxx renderPro to speed up my Cinema 4D rendering. Can After Effects CS6 & BG Renderer Pro also utilize this render node?
  • Sorry not familiar with that product.
  • Have obviously not tested it but BG Renderer will work on any machine that runs After Effects
  • i'm having some trouble with “stack overrun” errors, when rendering via BG Render from After Effects CS5. The error does not appear when rendering directly in the AE Render Queue. The setup is pretty simple: a bunch of layers parented to a null, which is animated with a “time*x” expression on Y position. I'm sure i've done similar setups a hundred times before without any problems. I thought stack overruns usually happen when there are too many cascading dependencies between too many layers - which definitely isn't the case here (only one layer has an expression applied).

Do you have any idea what could be causing the problem? I'm on a MacPro Quad, OS 10.6.7, AE CS5 and BG Render 2.12.

Thanks & Regards
    Axel
  • i'm having some trouble with “stack overrun” errors, when rendering via BG Render from After Effects CS5. 
    Please open a support ticket and include screenshots of any errors you are seeing. Please include these details and well as anything else you think might be relevant. The more details you can provide the more likely we will be able to help you.
  • Hi,

Just loaded pro version to be used with Cineware Proxy.
    I'm using AE CC.

I followed the tutorial and rendered two F4V files (not using the C4d plug in, just a regular project file).
    In the command window I saw the line " load library :n failed"
    The 2 files rendered OK. I was able to work on another comp while the  2 where rendered.
    ...but I did not get a log file. 

I then rendered out a avi file with the same load error message. Still no logs.
    Not a deal breaker but whats wrong?

David

• I then rendered out a avi file with the same load error message. Still no logs.
    Not a deal breaker but whats wrong?
    Are you on mac or windows?  BG Renderer logs are only created on mac due to limitations in windows and the way the After Effects command line renderer works.
  • is it faster than the render with after effects or adobe encoder ?

Actually I have the latest imac version from apple and I'm looking for super fast render ..

but I could't understand the Max Mem and the Max Ram cache .. what should I do to get faster render ?

this is my imac specification

3.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i5

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX graphics processor with 1GB of GDDR5

8GB of 1600MHz DDR3 memory
  • is it faster than the render with after effects or adobe encoder ?  
    Yes, it will render faster as there is no UI overhead.  Unless you know what you are doing you should leave the Max Mem and Cache settings at their default values.  Also you do not have enough ram to do MP rendering so do not choose that option, instead use the "Save BG Launcher" option and launch 2-3 instances.  Please watch the tutorial for more details on how to do this.
  • Hello Lyoyd,

I'm trying out this amazing script right now. I watched a tutorial of a guy that used multiple BG render windows on a single computer to render a image sequence extremely fast. I tried the technique on my own and found that it works perfect for image sequences. But, when two windows try to save the same frame at the same time one window will crash out and stop rending. I was wondering if you could update the script to where if it comes across that error that it will continue rendering. Not just stop if it tries to save over a same frame. Know what I mean?

Thanks anyway for your great scripts. Keep'em coming,
    Dave
  • But, when two windows try to save the same frame at the same time one window will crash out and stop rending. 
    I have only experienced this problem on over-scheduled networks. Meaning that the odds that two frames get written at the same time is extremely low but if the network is overloaded then the writes get queued and that's when you'll see two or more writes being done at the exact same time.  Unfortunately there isn't much that can be done here as it has to do with the server and not BG Renderer
  • Hi again Lloyd,

I just purchased your great script and it was running perfectly. I tried creating a portable folder on my PC and that worked great too. But since I did that it quit working. I tried changing all the settings but every time I hit BG Render, the file saves and the black render window doesn't come up - nothing happens after. I hope it's a simple fix. Any tips on what could've happened?

Thanks,
    Dave

• I just purchased your great script and it was running perfectly. I tried creating a portable folder on my PC and that worked great too. But since I did that it quit working. I tried changing all the settings but every time I hit BG Render, the file saves and the black render window doesn't come up - nothing happens after. I hope it's a simple fix. Any tips on what could've happened?
    You can delete your AE prefs to reset BG Renderer

• I just purchased your great script and it was running perfectly. I tried creating a portable folder on my PC and that worked great too. But since I did that it quit working. I tried changing all the settings but every time I hit BG Render, the file saves and the black render window doesn't come up - nothing happens after. I hope it's a simple fix. Any tips on what could've happened?
    You can delete your AE prefs to reset BG Renderer

That got BG Renderer to work again, but every time I start a render with the app option I run into the same issue. I really don't want to delete my AE prefs every time I use the app rendering option. Am I missing something?
  • Please open a support ticket and include the portable app folder and your AE prefs file so we can look into it.
  • Hi Lloyd, would you happen to know what the proper command line for FFmpeg would be to take an image sequence from BG Render Pro, and create a ProRes 4444 (with alpha) from it?  Thanks!
  • would you happen to know what the proper command line for FFmpeg would be to take an image sequence from BG Render Pro, and create a ProRes 4444 (with alpha) from it?  Thanks!
    Here's a sample command using the xlib264 codec.  You'll have to experiment with making it work with ProRes:

ffmpeg -i \"[outputFilePath][outputFileName]\" -vcodec xlib264 -vpre slow -crf 22 -threads 0 \"[outputFilePath][outputFileNameNoExt].mp4
  • would you happen to know what the proper command line for FFmpeg would be to take an image sequence from BG Render Pro, and create a ProRes 4444 (with alpha) from it?  Thanks!
    Here's a sample command using the xlib264 codec.  You'll have to experiment with making it work with ProRes:

ffmpeg -i \"[outputFilePath][outputFileName]\" -vcodec xlib264 -vpre slow -crf 22 -threads 0 \"[outputFilePath][outputFileNameNoExt].mp4
    Hi Lloyd, I return with results for H264 as well as ProRes 422 via ffmpeg:

.png sequence to ProRes 422HQ (notice the %05d.png added, so ffmpeg knows there is an image sequence):

ffmpeg -r 30 -i [outputFilePath][outputFileNameNoExt]%05d.png -c:v prores_ks -profile:v 3 -pix_fmt yuv444p10le [outputFilePath][outputFileNameNoExt].mov

.png sequence to H264:

ffmpeg -r 30 -i [outputFilePath][outputFileNameNoExt]%05d.png -c:v libx264 -crf 23 -pix_fmt yuv420p [outputFilePath][outputFileNameNoExt].mp4

One issue i've noticed however is that if I run multiple instances of BG Render Pro, I'll inevitably run into an issue where every instance is trying to render out the final movie.  Do you think in a future update it would be possible to add a check to see if all frames are present before initializing a write out to ffmpeg?  That would alleviate that issue I think.

Another issue I'm seeing is that even with all CPU being used, my renders are still coming out almost 2x slower than using AE's GUI render (no MP).  Would you know why that is?

Thanks!
  • Is it safe to clear my disk cache and conformed media while using BG Renderer Pro?
    BTW, we love this script at Thought Café, it's the best!
  • Is it safe to clear my disk cache and conformed media while using BG Renderer Pro?
    BTW, we love this script at Thought Café, it's the best!
    Depends on your version of AE.  In later versions Adobe has gotten better about utilizing the disk cache with aerender.
  • Do you think in a future update it would be possible to add a check to see if all frames are present before initializing a write out to ffmpeg?  That would alleviate that issue I think.
    Yes this is definitely something planned for a future version.
    Another issue I'm seeing is that even with all CPU being used, my renders are still coming out almost 2x slower than using AE's GUI render (no MP).  Would you know why that is?
    Are you using plugins that use the GPU such as Element3D?  aerender should be faster than the main GUI unless there is some GPU stuff happening in the GUI.
  • can you add feature that adds start time and/or rendered comp(s) (name or even number on Render Queue list) to title of console (aerender) window?
    this would be very helpfull when many of renders are started simultanously (an example one render per core) to distinguish windows and terminate some or control which are finished or not.
  • I'm really interested in purchasing this plugin, unfortunately it is stated that its only compatible to cs5.5 the highest and i'm currently using cs6.

Is it already possible to use it with cs 6?
  • It is not officially supported in CS6 but it runs fine in CS6. You can download the free trial and try it for yourself before buying. Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.
  • Love the script!  The fact that I can keep working in AE while rendering is amazing!

I am having trouble starting multiple instances...

I am trying to start multiple instances.  I have started them directly from BG Render as well as saving a launch file.  I launch a render from BG Render and everything works fine.  I am outputting to ProRes QT.  Render settings are set to Best Settings and ProRes.  When I try to launch a second instance, I keep getting an error:

aerender Error: After Effects error: Rendering error while writing to file /Volumes/ShurTech 03 MAIN/SL2012-051 - Natl Sales Mtg Open/Rendered Movies/2014 Movies/Main Comp_Image_P4-1.mov. Unable to delete existing file. (-1610153460)
    aerender version 10.5x253
    PROGRESS: Launching After Effects...
    PROGRESS: ...After Effects successfully launched

When I switch to Multi-Machine Settings I get the error:

"Launching aerender...

WARNING:After Effects warning: Skip Existing Files is available only with ONE output module of type Sequence."

What am I doing wrong?  Can I not do multiple instances when outputting to ProRes QT?

Thanks!

• What am I doing wrong?  Can I not do multiple instances when outputting to ProRes QT?

That's right, you can only do multi-instance rendering with file sequences.
  • I work on two computers - a Mac and a PC. Will BG Renderer Pro allow me do my primary work on OSX but to export the small applets made for Windows? Ideally, I like to be able to have a situation where I easily send files over to render on my Windows box.

Thanks,
    Luke
  • Yes you can use the BG launcher app in as many computers as you want. That is how it was designed to be used :)
  • Hi Lloyd, Your programme is one of the best plugins we have used. We liked it so much we bought it for the whole office a year or so back. Are you planning to support After Effects CC? We were able to get BGR working on CS6 but CC just doesnt like it.
    Regards
  • Hi Lloyd, Your programme is one of the best plugins we have used. We liked it so much we bought it for the whole office a year or so back. Are you planning to support After Effects CC? We were able to get BGR working on CS6 but CC just doesnt like it.
    Regards
    BG Renderer is not officially supported on CC yet but it should work. Please open a support ticket and describe your issue in as much detail as possible including screenshots whenerer possible.
  • Hi Lloyd,
    When I try to cancel the render in the terminal box, it doesn't do anything...continues to render.
    I see the keystrokes in the window and I hit "enter" as well, but still going.  Using CS6, Mac OS 10.7.5.
    Any suggestions?
    thanks, John
  • Hi Lloyd, great script, but I have a problem. On my machine I have all After Effects Versions from CS4 up to CS6 installed. When I run BG Renderer in CS6 however, he uses the aerender-engine from CS5 and fails to render the file as the aep is created with a newer AE version - of course since I am in CS6. How can I make BG Renderer always use the CS6 Render-Engine?
  • Hi Lloyd, great script, but I have a problem. On my machine I have all After Effects Versions from CS4 up to CS6 installed. When I run BG Renderer in CS6 however, he uses the aerender-engine from CS5 and fails to render the file as the aep is created with a newer AE version - of course since I am in CS6. How can I make BG Renderer always use the CS6 Render-Engine?
    Sounds like your prefs might be corrupted. I would recommend deleting your AE prefs to see if it fixes the problem.
  • Hi,

It's been said that BG Renderer doesn't work with Element 3D Because of the GPU issue, i made a test with Element 3D and managed to render a comp with BG Renderer and Element 3D Ver. 1.5 work fine with no errors at all but when i rendered with an upgrade to Element 3D Ver. 1.6 the same error mentioned above popes out. Is there any solution to that problem or maybe i need to refer this problem to Andrew (Video Copilot) to solve it. 

P.S. I use BG Renderer v2.03 and when i render the comp in After Effects inside renderer there is no errors there.

Thanks in advance for helping solve the problem
    Mickey
    Element 3D Ver.1.6 Bg Renderer error.JPG
    333 x 204 - 21K
  • Is there any solution to that problem or maybe i need to refer this problem to Andrew (Video Copilot) to solve it. 

P.S. I use BG Renderer v2.03 and when i render the comp in After Effects inside renderer there is no errors there.
    Yes, as that is an Element 3D error I would contact them for help.  Also you are running an older version of BG Renderer, i would very strongly advice you to upgrade. You can find the latest version in the 'My Downloads & Licenses'  section of your user account.  
  • Hi Lloyd, 

that's me Basem,

I want to ask you if there's new update soon for this script or not .. 

cheers,

Basem

• I want to ask you if there's new update soon for this script or not .. 
    The latest version is 2.12. If you have a specific issue let us know and we'll try our best to help.
  • actually just I'm asking because in compatibility tab I don't see After effects cc in the list , So I said maybe will be new update soon ..
  • While it is not officially supported yet it should work just fine. Try it and let us know if you run into any issues.
  • it works fine , but it's not responding to shutdown my mac when I active the shutdown marker !
  • What OS version are you running?