BG Renderer Pro
  • My OS version is 10.9 (the latest version of mac operating system)
  • I've been putting BG renderer through its paces, and I'm getting frequent problem files in my outputs. Zero Kb frames, and also malformed PNGs and Tiffs. Could BGrenderer be the culprit or is the problem elsewhere?
  • Are you using the multi-machine render prefs in AE and using multiple machines to render? If so this usually means that your network is not fast enough to handle all the nodes rendering at the same time and the zero key dummy files AE makes to multi-machine render are orphaned.
  • I quite often find the BG Renderer either renders nothing, or a portion of the specified duration, and stops before it should do.  The terminal window suggests it knew how much it was supposed to render, eg, Start, End and Duration are correct, but it reports 'Finished Composition' and 'Have a nice day' etc before the End frame.  Is this a known issue Lloyd? Using 2.12, OS X 10.9.1, AE 11.0.4.2
  • I quite often find the BG Renderer either renders nothing, or a portion of the specified duration, and stops before it should do.  The terminal window suggests it knew how much it was supposed to render, eg, Start, End and Duration are correct, but it reports 'Finished Composition' and 'Have a nice day' etc before the End frame.  Is this a known issue Lloyd? Using 2.12, OS X 10.9.1, AE 11.0.4.2
    This sounds like an aerender bug, please report it to Adobe directly.  You can do that here: http://adobe.com/go/wish
  • hey lloyd, on windows 8.1 (64bit) ae cc 12.2.1.5. over the last few days i've been getting this error more and more when i start a render to bg renderer.

"after effects error : unable to obtain a license please run the full application to correct the problem or get a more detailed message." it's likely something adobe has done, but thought you should know. thanks for the awesome plugin!!!!!
  • hey lloyd, on windows 8.1 (64bit) ae cc 12.2.1.5. over the last few days i've been getting this error more and more when i start a render to bg renderer.

"after effects error : unable to obtain a license please run the full application to correct the problem or get a more detailed message." it's likely something adobe has done, but thought you should know. thanks for the awesome plugin!!!!!
    Sounds like you have an issue with your After Effects installation. I would re-install and contact Adobe if you are still having issues.
  • Hi Lloyd,
    About a year ago I purchased bgRenderer and I must say it saved my life and frustrations while rendering from AE. Thank you for that.
    Recently I moved to CC version and I want to buy another instance of your plugin but I am a bit worried that when i looked the compatibility with AE, CC is not listed. Do you think if I buy it I would run to an issue and won't be able to use it or do you think it should be no problem.

Hardware i am using is: Win 7 64 and HP Z820

thanks in advance. Neb
  • While CC is not officially supported yet we have many users using it successfully so you should be fine. Should you run into any issues just open a support ticket and we'll be glad to help.

No works in win8.1, AE CC. Crashes with two cmd windows to work with multimachine settings.
  • No works in win8.1, AE CC. 
    Looks like you have issues with your After Effects installation. I would recommend doing a clean re-install of After Effects
  • When I go to render, (after BGR asks to save my project) it has started to ask me if I want launch the renderer now.  This didn't happen before, it's not a huge deal, but I'd like to stop it.  Also, the artist sitting next to me doesn't get the message.  As soon as BGR saves his project, it automatically launches the renderer.  Is there a way I can get my BGR to do the same thing?
    test.png
    430 x 165 - 18K
  • Do you have any of the advanced settings checked? If you have the 'Save BG launcher' option checked it will ask you if you want to launch the render.
  • Hey Lloyd, any way to get BGRenderer to make a sound when a render fails to start? I know its AERender's fault, but it happens so often I'd love to know when a render is not working.
  • Hey Lloyd, any way to get BGRenderer to make a sound when a render fails to start? I know its AERender's fault, but it happens so often I'd love to know when a render is not working.
    Not in the current version. We will consider adding this feature to a future version.
  • Hello Lloyd,

1st off, BGRenderer is excellent and it's been an integral part of my workflow for years now. So thank you. However, with the latest (2014) version of CC, they've removed H264, FLV, and a few other codecs from the AE renderer and are trying to force AME to be used for common codecs. I would rather not, as BG Renderer works perfectly well and has very convenient post render actions. Is there any way to force a legacy renderer (CC or CS6) within BG Renderer? Thanks!

EDIT: actually, I just realized that if the options are not there in the CC Queue, then BGR would probably not have those options either then. : /
  • EDIT: actually, I just realized that if the options are not there in the CC Queue, then BGR would probably not have those options either then. : /
    That's correct but one thing you could do is render to another lossless codec or image sequence and use the post-render actions to use something like ffmpeg to create a H264 version. Just an idea!
  • any thoughts on BG Renderer Pro not working in CC2014

INFO:Unable to allocate 0.000 MB of memory. Either decrease the memory requirements for the rendering of this frame, or install more RAM. (12803 / U_MemTrackedObject). For more information, see www.adobe.com/go/learn_ae_mem
    INFO:Unable to allocate 0.020 MB of memory. Either decrease the memory requirements for the rendering of this frame, or install more RAM. (12803 / list). For more information, see www.adobe.com/go/learn_ae_mem
    aerender ERROR: No project provided and no project open.
    aerender version 13.0x214
    PROGRESS: Launching After Effects...
    PROGRESS: ...After Effects successfully launched
    aerender ERROR -609: AESend failed to send apple event at line 769
  • my follow up

i have a 12 core mac pro with 96GB of ram.
  • any thoughts on BG Renderer Pro not working in CC2014

BG Renderer works fine with CC2014, we don't have any other reports.  Looking at your error it seems you have an issue with your AE installation.  I would try deleting the prefs and if that doesn't work then re-install and make sure to leave all the settings at their default values and trying again.  Also that AESend error is sometimes associated with a rogue plugin so please try disabling any 3rd party plugins to make sure they are not the ones causing the problem.
  • Thanks Lloyd, do you know if element 3d might be the culprit?

• Thanks Lloyd, do you know if element 3d might be the culprit?

Does it work without it?  You'll need to test it yourself.. I would also make sure you have the latest version, etc..
  • Looks like i had a bad something in the project i was rendering.

further tests are working fine.

• This is truly a mystery, i really don't want to reinstall AECC2014. BG renderer doing same exact thing on all projects. I saved down to cc and no problems whatsoever. when you looked at the error you mentioned an issue with the installation. how could you tell?
  • This is truly a mystery, i really don't want to reinstall AECC2014. BG renderer doing same exact thing on all projects. I saved down to cc and no problems whatsoever. when you looked at the error you mentioned an issue with the installation. how could you tell?
    I could not tell, that was just a suggestion. Frankly i'd never seen that error message (and I see lots of errors dealing with support) so that's why I assumed that something deep might be wrong.  However, i thought you said it was related to a bad project.  Again, the AESend error is usually associated with a plugin.
  • Thanks for responding. I guess it wasn't a bad project because now even with a fresh one. a comp with 1 white solid won't even render with BG Render.

my cc2014 setup is a mirror of cc and BG render works flawlessly in that version.

crazy
  • Thanks for responding. I guess it wasn't a bad project because now even with a fresh one. a comp with 1 white solid won't even render with BG Render.

my cc2014 setup is a mirror of cc and BG render works flawlessly in that version.

crazy
    This is why I am recommending you re-install.  However before you do that defintiely try deleting your prefs.  Hold down Cmd-Alt-Shift when you launch AE
  • If you happen to come across this with someone else and there's a solve, i'd appreciate it. I reinstalled AECC2014 and on a new project it worked, then i tried a few things and it still worked, and then, i opened up an old project and it tanked, and then i tried a new project and it tanked.

crazy inconsistent

oh well at this point i suppose.
  • If you happen to come across this with someone else and there's a solve, i'd appreciate it. I reinstalled AECC2014 and on a new project it worked, then i tried a few things and it still worked, and then, i opened up an old project and it tanked, and then i tried a new project and it tanked.

crazy inconsistent

oh well at this point i suppose.
    Sounds like you have a bad project that is corrupting your install. I would avoid opening that project :)
  • Hi, I'm also having problems with AECC2014. I'm unable to use BG renderer currently, see error message below:

Launching aerender...

Is there a fix for this? BG Renderer works fine using AECC previous version. Many thanks...
  • Hi, I'm also having problems with AECC2014. I'm unable to use BG renderer currently, see error message below:

Launching aerender...

Is there a fix for this? BG Renderer works fine using AECC previous version. Many thanks...
    As noted in the previous comment the AESend error is usually related to a rogue plugin.  Please try rendering a simple comp then turn on the plugins in the comp that is giving you the error one at a time until you can isolate the plugin that is giving you an issue. I bet you it's because it's not compatible with CC2014.  In any case this is not a BG Renderer issue as it's successfully opening the project to render in the BG.  
  • Thanks for the reply Lloyd; I will check it out. BG Renderer is a must-have part of my workflow so I'll be sure to let you know if I encounter any further useful info.
  • HI Lloyd, 
    I've been using the trail version of BG Renderer Pro for few days, and I want to say it is a very amazing thing that helps me a lot, and I ready to purchase it.  But I've a main problem, when I render a sequence or video, BG Renderer said the render is complete, but the result is incomplete, for example; 
    I render a 1000 frame sequence, and BG Renderer said the render is complete, but when I check the folder, it only have 300 or less.
    This problem will happen sometimes, is it only happens on the trail version or is it something else? 
    Thanks
  • HI Lloyd, 
    I've been using the trail version of BG Renderer Pro for few days, and I want to say it is a very amazing thing that helps me a lot, and I ready to purchase it.  But I've a main problem, when I render a sequence or video, BG Renderer said the render is complete, but the result is incomplete, for example; 
    I render a 1000 frame sequence, and BG Renderer said the render is complete, but when I check the folder, it only have 300 or less.
    This problem will happen sometimes, is it only happens on the trail version or is it something else? 
    Thanks
    This sounds like an After Effects bug.  Please make sure you are running the latest update of your After Effects version.  Otherwise make sure you are not getting any footage or plugin errors as this will abort a render as well.
  • This sounds like an After Effects bug.  Please make sure you are running the latest update of your After Effects version.  Otherwise make sure you are not getting any footage or plugin errors as this will abort a render as well.
    Thanks for the reply, I'm sure that it render probably in normal render. I'll check if is it the After effects problem, thanks=D 
  • It is stated that the background render app file can only be used on rendered on another computer if that computer has its own version of after effects. Does this computer also have to have the same plugins for after effects as the workstation does? (Example, I keyed out a file on the workstation using Primatte keyer, but the computer I was rendering on does not have a copy of the Primatte plugin installed on it.)

The reason why I am wondering is that I rendered my composition on a separate computer using the background render app. Everything seem to go normally and it said it finished the render this morning. When I go to look for the file, it is no where to be found. I've checked everywhere. 

I am currently running the latest version of AFTER EFFECTS CC 2014 and I just bought the Background Render Pro plugin a few weeks ago.
  • Does this computer also have to have the same plugins for after effects as the workstation does? 
    Yes it does and the file will be rendered to the location set in the render queue.  This might sounds obvious but the rendering machine needs access to that location.
  • Does this computer also have to have the same plugins for after effects as the workstation does? 
    Yes it does and the file will be rendered to the location set in the render queue.  This might sounds obvious but the rendering machine needs access to that location.
    It did have access to the same location but it does not have the same plugins. Just to clarify you are saying that both after effects systems need the same plugins?

I'm confused why it said it was a successful render, if it didn't render. The log said every frame was render successfully. 
  • Yes it needs all the same exact plugins (same versions).
  • I've run into an issue with the file path names... I work everything off my Dropbox folder for the Pack Rat versions and instant backup, but Dropbox started using that funky naming of the Dropbox where it puts parenthesis in the Dropbox folder name to distinguish personal from business Dropbox's... when I try to submit a comp to the BG Renderer script, I get the following error:

aerender Error: After Effects error: Unable to call ∟openFast↔ because of parame
    ter 1. Path is not valid. Path: ∟C:\Users\Eden\Dropbox ^(EDEN.tv^)\Projects\DvsL
    W\NIGHTLY_SCORES.aep↔

If I move the project folder out of my Dropbox into, say, the Videos folder of my home folder, it works just fine because it doesn't run into the path issue. Has anyone else experienced this and should I not hold my breath for a fix since I see this script hasn't been updated in a long time? :(

Thanks
  • I've run into an issue with the file path names... I work everything off my Dropbox folder for the Pack Rat versions and instant backup, but Dropbox started using that funky naming of the Dropbox where it puts parenthesis in the Dropbox folder name to distinguish personal from business Dropbox's... when I try to submit a comp to the BG Renderer script, I get the following error:
    aerender Error: After Effects error: Unable to call ∟openFast↔ because of parame
    ter 1. Path is not valid. Path: ∟C:\Users\Eden\Dropbox ^(EDEN.tv^)\Projects\DvsL
    W\NIGHTLY_SCORES.aep↔

If I move the project folder out of my Dropbox into, say, the Videos folder of my home folder, it works just fine because it doesn't run into the path issue. Has anyone else experienced this and should I not hold my breath for a fix since I see this script hasn't been updated in a long time? :(
    BG Renderer Pro can actually work with parenthesis in the paths just fine. You can see this because the BG render process is being launched successfully. The failure is happening with aerender which is Adobe's command line renderer (hence the "aerender ERROR").  Unfortunately the only fix for this is to remove the parenthesis from the path. You can file a bug report with Adobe to let them know that this is affecting your workflow here: http://adobe.com/go/wish  Tell them that aerender fails when there are parenthesis in the path and give them the error you pasted above.  The more users they hear from the more likely they will fix the problem.
    W\NIGHTLY_SCORES.aep↔

BG Renderer Pro can actually work with parenthesis in the paths just fine. You can see this because the BG render process is being launched successfully. The failure is happening with aerender which is Adobe's command line renderer (hence the "aerender ERROR").  Unfortunately the only fix for this is to remove the parenthesis from the path. You can file a bug report with Adobe to let them know that this is affecting your workflow here: http://adobe.com/go/wish  Tell them that aerender fails when there are parenthesis in the path and give them the error you pasted above.  The more users they hear from the more likely they will fix the problem.
    Thanks for the info, Lloyd... I've taken your advice and submitted a bug report to Adobe using the link you provided.
  • I keep on seeing this "aerender (Not Responding)" issue when BG Renderer Pro is launched.
    The pictures show an extreme version of the problem–this is a large comp, many layers, about 9 mins long. 
    Usually on smaller, shorter comps, I get only one "aerender (Not Responding)". In the former case, the comp did not render and never started. 
    In the latter, most common case, video gets rendered just fine. 
    Screen Shot 2014-08-23 at 12.49.35 PM.png
    2182 x 1486 - 532K
    Screen Shot 2014-08-23 at 12.50.48 PM.png
    2906 x 1776 - 941K
    Screen Shot 2014-08-23 at 12.53.29 PM.png
    1136 x 614 - 65K
  • I keep on seeing this "aerender (Not Responding)" issue when BG Renderer Pro is launched.The pictures show an extreme version of the problem–this is a large comp, many layers, about 9 mins long. Usually on smaller, shorter comps, I get only one "aerender (Not Responding)". In the former case, the comp did not render and never started. In the latter, most common case, video gets rendered just fine. 
    8GB is not enough ram to be opening several "Large Comps" (frankly i don't think it's enough for most AE work alone).  Dont forget that AE needs to load your entire project into memory and when you launch it to render in the BG it need to load a separate copy (or more depending on whether you have MP on or launch more than one instance). It's not that it never started it's that it takes a very long time if you run out of ram and the system begins to disk swap virtual memory.  My recommendation is to get more ram if you plan on doing a lot og BG tasking.
  • Hi,

I just installed Growl for Windows. However BGR only shows "...Learn how to install Growlnotify...".

Of course I have growlnotify.exe and .com in the growl-directory. Even tried to copy these to the AE script folder - no difference:-(

Relaunching AE and / or growl - no difference either.

Any advice??

Thanks a lot!

Christian
  • I just installed Growl for Windows. However BGR only shows "...Learn how to install Growlnotify...".

Of course I have growlnotify.exe and .com in the growl-directory. Even tried to copy these to the AE script folder - no difference:-(

Relaunching AE and / or growl - no difference either.

Any advice??
    You need to have growlnotify installed. If you installed Growl for Windows it should have been installed automatically but you can download it here if necessary. Also, make sure Growl is installed in the default location or BG Renderer won't be able to find it.
  • Ahhh,

default install location seems to be the key here...

Funny thing then: I launch BGR like 8 times. I get two growl notifications pretty much right after I start BGR saying the render is finished?! It definitely is not...

When it actually is finished - no notification?!

Hmmm...

Any ideas? I am running CS6.

Thanks!

Christian
  • Funny thing then: I launch BGR like 8 times. I get two growl notifications pretty much right after I start BGR saying the render is finished?! It definitely is not...

When it actually is finished - no notification?!

The notifications are per terminal window so if any window is finished rendering it will send the notification.
  • Hi,

Thanks for the fast response.

Notification per Terminal window: I figured as much. However I never received more than the two notifications I mentioned. When the other terminal Windows finished - nothing?!

Well, I will test more later today. BGR is cool by itself - with working notifications it would be even cooler;-)

Cheers!

Christian

• Well, I will test more later today. BGR is cool by itself - with working notifications it would be even cooler;-)

the notifications work, please watch the tutorial video to learn how they work.