• Could you clarify if there's anything you still couldn't do with this script as a Windows users regarding IconJar that you could with a Mac?  Thanks. 
  • Hi Robert. Thanks for your question. Icon Mason does not duplicate the full functionality of IconJar. The only functionality it mimics is the ability to change the metadata of the icons and to organize an icon collection into sets. The primary purpose of Icon Mason is to allow you to view the contents of an IconJar archive (or ZIP or folder of icons) in an Illustrator palette. 

That said, the behavior on windows is identical with one exception - Windows does not have an .iconjar file format. The .iconjar file format is a Mac-proprietary format known as a package, which is really a folder that behaves like file. On Windows, IconJar files appear as a folder so even when you export from Icon Mason to IconJar format, it still appears as a folder. What it does do is create the necessary META file and organize the icons in the proper folder structure.

The META file is a Gzipped JSON file. The compression as gzip is necessary for the IconJar-format file to be readable by IconJar.

I hope this isn't too convoluted of a response. The TLDR; version is IconMason works identically on Mac and Windows except the IconJar file is a folder on Windows.

My suggestion for sending the Windows-created IconJar to another user is to ZIP the IconJar file afeter exporting it. It's a bit of a pain but there isn't a workaround.
  • Hi Robert. Thanks for your question. Icon Mason does not duplicate the full functionality of IconJar. The only functionality it mimics is the ability to change the metadata of the icons and to organize an icon collection into sets. The primary purpose of Icon Mason is to allow you to view the contents of an IconJar archive (or ZIP or folder of icons) in an Illustrator palette. 

That said, the behavior on windows is identical with one exception - Windows does not have an .iconjar file format. The .iconjar file format is a Mac-proprietary format known as a package, which is really a folder that behaves like file. On Windows, IconJar files appear as a folder so even when you export from Icon Mason to IconJar format, it still appears as a folder. What it does do is create the necessary META file and organize the icons in the proper folder structure.

The META file is a Gzipped JSON file. The compression as gzip is necessary for the IconJar-format file to be readable by IconJar.

I hope this isn't too convoluted of a response. The TLDR; version is IconMason works identically on Mac and Windows except the IconJar file is a folder on Windows.

My suggestion for sending the Windows-created IconJar to another user is to ZIP the IconJar file afeter exporting it. It's a bit of a pain but there isn't a workaround.
    Professional ! Thankyou for your detial explain
  • Oh, thank you. I appreciate the feedback.
  • Hey Scott - thanks so much the detailed response. 
  • No problem. Please let me know if I can be of further help.