Depth Scanner
  • latest version crashes when changing samples from 1 to any number. last version didn't do this.
    also crashes when you try to enable temporal smoothing and averaging at the same time.
    Same here.

Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold
    90.0 GB RAM
    Windows Server 2022 Datacenter 212H
    NVIDIA RTX A4000
    After Effects 2022 & beta same behavior

Although previously, a single from of drastically downscaled 480p footage took 12 seconds on the same rig, so I'll take it. Down to 2.5-4sec/frame on this version. Looking forward to continued improvements, this plugin will be a gamechanger!
  • Both the standard and GPU option seem very unstable - can barely do anything with them without AE crashing. It seemed to work fine for a little while though. Maybe some sort of caching / memory issue?

Windows 11 Pro (I really should downgrade)
    128 GB RAM
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3955WX
    After Effects 2022
  • Hey guys having issues with Depth Scanner,
    to be able to investigate the issues you are having, please open a support ticket on https://aescripts.com/contact/?product_id=1864#new-ticket.
    We'll be able to help you there.
  • Does this support multi GPU through NVlink?
  • 1.3.2  (Current version)  -  Jun 23, 2022

- plugin now writes logfiles

? location?

cause plugin still crashes with new version
  • 1.3.2  (Current version)  -  Jun 23, 2022

- plugin now writes logfiles

? location?

cause plugin still crashes with new version
    Same here.
    I'm looking for the log files as well as I wish to attach it to the bug report.
    I'd also like to share my project files with you developers if that helps you tracking down the issue.

Aside from that, I'm very impressed with this plugin.
    A definite game changer.

I attempted to use these Python-based AI scripts which generate depth maps but I never got very far.
    So I'm very thankful a proper AE plugin has been created for this.

A few minor glitches in the rendered depth map PNG-sequence did show up but I have no doubt you'll be able to fix these.
    I'll show it to you via PM.

Again, thank you very much for this awesome plugin. :-)

Addendum:
    As a next product, I'd love to see an AI frame interpolation plugin based on "TimeLens: Event-based Video Frame Interpolation". :-)
  • Can't get it to work. Seems like I'm not the only one.

I can do the same with just PS but thought I'd simplify my workflow with Depth Scanner. Turns out it's complicating it.

DepthScanner.jpg
    715 x 474 - 68K
  • The location of the logfiles is described here: https://docs.blaceplugins.com/troubleshooting.html#send-us-a-log
    In case of persistent, random crashes in gpu mode please read: https://docs.blaceplugins.com/troubleshooting.html#crash-in-gpu-version
  • Really cool plugin; but has a ton of stability issues. It's pretty much a 50/50 shot that you're AE is going to crash. Once that's worked out it'll be great.
  • Wish there was a demo version. Looking to test this out generating geo in Houdini.
  • There is! Just click on the try button :)
  • Major hard time getting this to work, seems like alot of memory leak it s just not usable at this state.. maybe it has something to do with Ae 22.5 but I can t run this plugin as it uses so much memory.

(Tried the GPU version)

Specs are 128 gig ram
    RTX 3090 ti
    i9 12 900k
  • frame offset bug still present in 1.3.7
  • Major hard time getting this to work, seems like alot of memory leak it s just not usable at this state.. maybe it has something to do with Ae 22.5 but I can t run this plugin as it uses so much memory.

(Tried the GPU version)

Specs are 128 gig ram
    RTX 3090 ti
    i9 12 900k
    ya seam to use more ram for sure. ive got 16gigs @ 90% with cpu hammered and gpu @ 30%. ram usage used to be @60% in previous versions.
  • so the bug was that some one forgot to include the rest of the program in that last build.

took much longer to install this time.
  • Excellent plugin. I am using it to create camera movements and camera focus effects for Midjourney AI art, and I am very happy with the results. Running it on a razer blade laptop with Nvidia RTX 2080, works smoothly with only minor stability issues (crashed once, and time after time when I quit after effects it throws exception error) - small price to pay for the possibilities.
  • Update Sept 15 - Version NVIDIA GPU 1.38  AE 22.5

I m not sure what you changed in only 7 days from version 1.34 but wow what a difference, I m not getting any memory leak works fast and perfect ! great job on the update.

Definitely now buying this plug-in thx for the trial and fixing the lag issue 
  • Hi :) is there a way that you can have alot of details with this tool? For exemple to see the nose, eyes, lips of a face. I don't see those kind of details in your demo, I just want to know if we can push the plugin at that point. Thanks in advance!
  • what about compatibility with CC23?
  • what about compatibility with CC23?
    It is fully compatible.
  • Any plans to support AMD GPU's
  • Any plans to support AMD GPU's
    Sadly no, due to the lack of its support in libraries we are using.
  • Congrats on the macOS release !
  • Got the message when trying to install trial: installation failed. 
    Apple M1 Max
    MBP 16-inch, 2021
    Mac os Ventura 13

• Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! for the MacOS release.
    I do use this on my PC but it's not my main workstation so this saves me moving stuff back and forth.
    Seriously, forever grateful for keeping your promise!
  • Hi, 
    I've download two times the Trial version, but the screen comes black. Maybe my hardware is too old? 
    I'm using Quadro k4200
  • Hi! Just want to say thank you so much for the Mac version :)
    Apple M1 Max
    MBP 16-inch, 2021
    Mac os Ventura 13

Got "The Installation failed" error message too.
    It reads: "The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance."

Apple M1 Max
    MacBook Pro 16" 2021
    macOS Monterey v. 12.3
  • THANK YOU for releasing the Mac version. 
  • Just tried to install on a top spec mac studio 13.0 ventura. "Installation failed"
  • Just tried to install on a top spec mac studio 13.0 ventura. "Installation failed"

Please open a support ticket here: https://aescripts.com/contact/
  • Hi. Thank you for this awesome plugin. In order to have better depth map, I would like to use HDR source. Are depth scanner and AEE compatible with HDR contents? I'm using 1.3.8 GPU plugin for windows. Thanks.
  • HI. The plugin doesn't work for me. I get error:

(48::72) 
    After Effects error: Couldn't find main entry point for DepthScanner.plugin ( 48 : : 72 ) 

(25 :: 3) 
    After Effects error: This effect cannot be applied because it cannot be initialized. Try Ae reinstalling or contacting the plug-in developer. ( 25 :: 3 ) 

All other plugins work without problems.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch)
    macOS Big Sur 11.7.1
    AE2023 v23.0

Thanks.
  • Hi. Thank you for this awesome plugin. In order to have better depth map, I would like to use HDR source. Are depth scanner and AEE compatible with HDR contents? I'm using 1.3.8 GPU plugin for windows. Thanks.
    Depth Scanner is fully compatible with 32bit workflows. However, feeding a non-tonemapped hdr source into the plugin might give poor result. Best, you give it a try on your footage.
  • HI. The plugin doesn't work for me. I get error:

(48::72) 
    After Effects error: Couldn't find main entry point for DepthScanner.plugin ( 48 : : 72 ) 

(25 :: 3) 
    After Effects error: This effect cannot be applied because it cannot be initialized. Try Ae reinstalling or contacting the plug-in developer. ( 25 :: 3 ) 

All other plugins work without problems.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch)
    macOS Big Sur 11.7.1
    AE2023 v23.0

Thanks.

Hey, please open a support ticket here: https://aescripts.com/contact/?product_id=1864#new-ticket
  • OK dudes, check THIS!! 
    Apple M1 Max
    MBP 16-inch, 2021
    Mac os Ventura 13

Got "The Installation failed" error message too.
    It reads: "The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance."

Apple M1 Max
    MacBook Pro 16" 2021
    macOS Monterey v. 12.3
    Same here.
    Would love to test it first before I buy it.

Apple M1 Max
    MacBook Pro 16" 2021
    macOS Monterey v. 12.6
  • Needs multi frame rendering and harware acceleration for mac. Hopefully these features come soon, otherwise this plugin is pretty slow to work with. 
  • Hi Eric Weindel. Is it the way depth scanner works? Or is it an other plugin?
  • Hi Eric Weindel. Is it the way depth scanner works? Or is it an other plugin?
    the youtube video is from a research project. I don't know how depth scanner works to alleviate jitter / depth inconsistency. I just got it for testing recently
  • I've been really curious about this plugin as it looks very impressive. I got to try the NVIDIA GPU version out a bit and it's pretty nice so far!

I'm also curious about the update roadmap for Depth Scanner. I see in the version history that it does support Multi-Frame Rendering. However in After Effects, I get a notification saying that it is not optimized for Multi-Frame Rendering. This is with the current 2023 version of After Effects.

Could be something on Adobe's end or some clarification, but I would love to see continued improvement and support in the Multi-Frame Rendering performance if possible.

I use an RTX 4090 GPU in my setup and while it can handle Depth Scanner, even that monster of a GPU got really put to the test with this plugin and it can get a bit slow with the highest of settings (but that's just me really stress testing it with the plugin). I also use a Ryzen 9 7950x CPU as well with 128GB of DDR5 RAM to give a better idea of how the plugin performs with this kind of setup.

Overall though, this is a very fascinating plugin as I would love to use this for simulating depth of field in some shots as well as additional VFX work.

I would say if the Multi-Frame Rendering performance can be further improved so that the little "exclamation point" in After Effects would go away, then this would be an absolute winner here.
  • Glad to pay $100 for something that a 5900x and 3090 cant even handle
  • I got an email today that the most recent version is 1.4.9, however the Windows version hasn't updated on my machine in "AEscripts and plugin manager" program since 1.3.8.
    I recognize you're working on getting Mac stuff updated, but just be mindful that the email updates are going to all users, and it's a little confusing.

Thanks for your attention.

• Glad to pay $100 for something that a 5900x and 3090 cant even handle
    Ive got a 3080 and it works with no issues at all. you got something else wrong.

BTW you are advertising new version as ALL OS. its just for MAC
  • OK dudes, check THIS!! 
    that was 2 years ago and you  STILL haven't done anything. LOL depthscanner is in the lead. best auto depth generator out so far.
  • hello to all, I bought the plugin the day before yesterday, I had problem especially on its optimization which eats a lot of resources. (core i9 12th gen, 64go ram etc 3070 ti) I downloaded it from the default manager gave me the power hungry version.Support prompts me to download from my account The GPU version, I installed it actually works well but as soon as we ask for precision it bugs and cuts after effects. What is also frustrating is that there is no tutorial that talks about each version.I wanted to do a slicing but impossible to do like on the youtube videos, I have adjustment modules that are not on the other videos (my version 1.5.2) . I also don't have the heat map.Other plugin creators like lockdown video update their update.We pay 100€ for us to get by, it's not serious
  • extra details just brightens up the map and shows no extra anything
  • Hey there - whats the current state on the M1 installation issue? Installation crashes but the plugin appears in AE - but tells me "Plugin encountered a problem. Please follow the instructions on bit.ly/blacesupport" (on there is basically pc stuff )-:

i got the same computer, but 12.3

Got the message when trying to install trial: installation failed. 
    Apple M1 Max
    MBP 16-inch, 2021
    Mac os Ventura 13

• Just got a new PC for rendering, 3080TI GPU... using the NVIDIA accelerated version and the same version as my previous PC, but on the new PC every time I change samples to 2 or higher, the map just goes solid gray. it renders as if it's working, but there's no actual map generated, just gray fuzz.
  • The idea of this plugin is amazing, but I am still using the trial version to see if the improvements get to a point where I think it is worth buying. For me, the biggest problem yet that it tries to render everything as soon as you add the effect. It should have a render bar like Warp Stabilizer to let it run on background without crashing and freezing the whole program. The second thing that would make the plugin a lot better is if they add better model trained on faces. Today if you try to run this plugin to recognize the depth of a face, it creates pretty much a flat face with a round head.