Automation Blocks for After Effects Public Beta
  • this is incredible! absolutely awesome!!!!!!!!! I'm already studying this tool, thank you very much!!!!
  • Great to have you on board, Carl - welcome to the community! :-)

this is incredible! absolutely awesome!!!!!!!!! I'm already studying this tool, thank you very much!!!!
    and also thank you very much for posting this request here - I guess that's you? :-)

• Great to have you on board, Carl - welcome to the community! :-)

this is incredible! absolutely awesome!!!!!!!!! I'm already studying this tool, thank you very much!!!!
    and also thank you very much for posting this request here - I guess that's you? :-)

yes it's me, thank you very much for the quick response!
  • This tool is incredible! I was wondering if it is possible to create adjustment layers
  • Yes, to create an adjustment layer, just use the New Layer block and change the dropdown from "footage" to "adjustment".

Mathi FX said:
    This tool is incredible! I was wondering if it is possible to create adjustment layers

By the way, if you let me know what you want to do with the adjustment layer, I am happy to give you more tips how to achieve that. For adding some effects/keyframes/expressions etc on the adjustment layer, the easiest thing you can do is to save them as a preset and apply the preset to the adjustment layer.

• Fresh install AE 2020win and I got script alert
    ---------------------------
    Script Alert
    Could not read folder C:/Users/Mad/Documents/Automation Blocks Ae Library
    Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, scandir 'C:/Users/Mad/Documents/Automation Blocks Ae Library'
    OK   

• It asks for license. How can i get beta license for product?
    You need to "purchase" a beta for $0 in the same way as you buy any other product on aescripts. You find the licenses of all products you purchased in the “My Downloads & Licenses” section of your aescripts customer account athttps://aescripts.com/downloadable/customer/products/
  • Thank you for reporting this!
    When you restart the tool the next time, did the error disappear or is it still the same?
    Background: Automation Blocks creates this folder on the very first start-up and maybe due to some bug/timing issue, it tries to read it before it is finished creating it. If this is the case, it should only happen once. Otherwise it is maybe a permission issue - does this folder exist or can you create it manually?
    Fresh install AE 2020win and I got script alert
    Script Alert
    Could not read folder C:/Users/Mad/Documents/Automation Blocks Ae Library
    Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, scandir 'C:/Users/Mad/Documents/Automation Blocks Ae Library'
    OK   

You need to "purchase" a beta for $0 in the same way as you buy any other product on aescripts. You find the licenses of all products you purchased in the “My Downloads & Licenses” section of your aescripts customer account athttps://aescripts.com/downloadable/customer/products/
    Thank you.
  • I can't seem to get the script to open. Everything is installed, but when I click on Automation Blocks in the extensions window, After Effects freezes for a moment, but nothing opens. 

V22.5.0

• Hi Matthew,

this sounds like the issue and solution described here:

It is a general installation issue for CEP panels that affects Automation Blocks as well as any other CEP extensions. Fortunately, the workaround described in the article above solved the issue in all cases I know.

I can't seem to get the script to open. Everything is installed, but when I click on Automation Blocks in the extensions window, After Effects freezes for a moment, but nothing opens. 

V22.5.0

• I successfully copied your script to move items into a folder - very useful. I was going to export as script to use with kbar but after exporting via 'Export to JSX' it doesn't seem to save -  I assume that's disabled during the beta?

And if so, how do I map to a keyboard shortcut so I don't need to open and run the AutomationBlocks plugin each time?

Thank you 
  • Hi Henry,

thank you for your feedback! The "export to Jsx" button should be fully functional. Do you get any error message?
    Please open a support ticket here
    https://aescripts.com/contact/
    and describe the issue as detailed as possible (do you get any error message? Is no file created or is a jsx file created but you have issues executing it)?

I successfully copied your script to move items into a folder - very useful. I was going to export as script to use with kbar but after exporting via 'Export to JSX' it doesn't seem to save -  I assume that's disabled during the beta?

And if so, how do I map to a keyboard shortcut so I don't need to open and run the AutomationBlocks plugin each time?

Thank you 

• Hi Henry,

thank you for your feedback! The "export to Jsx" button should be fully functional. Do you get any error message?
    Please open a support ticket here
    https://aescripts.com/contact/
    and describe the issue as detailed as possible (do you get any error message? Is no file created or is a jsx file created but you have issues executing it)?

I successfully copied your script to move items into a folder - very useful. I was going to export as script to use with kbar but after exporting via 'Export to JSX' it doesn't seem to save -  I assume that's disabled during the beta?

Thank you 

Thank you - all fixed - it just wouldn't save to my AE Scripts folder for some reason (no errors, just no file appearing) so I just saved to the desktop instead.
  • That's very helpful feedback, Henry!
    I will double-check again if the tool shows meaningful error messages, if the file cannot be created due to permission issues or other problems.

Thank you - all fixed - it just wouldn't save to my AE Scripts folder for some reason (no errors, just no file appearing) so I just saved to the desktop instead.

• This is a fantastic tool! However, is it possible to export scripts without it having to rely on the tool being installed after the fact?

I assume this is probably either a difficult thing to implement, or it’s a purposeful limitation to only exporting scripts which call the tools API instead of reverse engineering it to use standard ES/JS code, in order to ensure Automation Blocks lives a long life.

But if it is possible, it’d be amazing if you could include the capability to export the scripts with standard code so they can be used without Automation Blocks installed. Perhaps with a small charge every time you do it, or only for a ‘Pro’ version of it or something?
  • how can I choose a layer by index and put a suffix?
  • Hi Saxon,
    sorry for the late reply - the notification about your message got lost in my inbox somehow. Fhank you for your feedback! If the exported jsx scripts could be executed without Automation Blocks being installed, then this would conflict with out business model. It would allow you to simply export all built-in tools as jsx and share them with others for free.
    In order to stay in business and to be able to continue the development of Automation Blocks, we require a valid Automation Blocks license on any system which executes code created with Automation Blocks.
    Saxon Rix said:
    This is a fantastic tool! However, is it possible to export scripts without it having to rely on the tool being installed after the fact? I assume this is probably either a difficult thing to implement, or it’s a purposeful limitation to only exporting scripts which call the tools API instead of reverse engineering it to use standard ES/JS code, in order to ensure Automation Blocks lives a long life. But if it is possible, it’d be amazing if you could include the capability to export the scripts with standard code so they can be used without Automation Blocks installed. Perhaps with a small charge every time you do it, or only for a ‘Pro’ version of it or something?

• Hi Mathi FX,
    thank you for your question! To answer it, I recorded this little tutorial video:

Mathi FX said:
    how can I choose a layer by index and put a suffix?