Ray Dynamic Color
  • Nice and easy. I like it.
    What if someone opens this project without the installed script/plugin?
    Does it just generate expressions?

Alvast bedankt Sander :)

- j
  • Im glad you asked Joris! You can still open your project in a version of After Effects without Ray installed. This is great for when you render on a render farm for example.

Ray Dynamic Color only makes the connections between your color palette and the color property. 

Happy coloring!
    S.
  • Hello! It works fine but then it doesn`t work. AE 12.2, Win 8

• Hello! It works fine but then it doesn`t work. AE 12.2, Win 8
    http://c2n.me/jo8WBG
    Can you please open a support ticket so that we can help you with this issue?  Did you get this error when you first ran it or after you made a layout change?  The more details you can provide including screenshots the more likely we'll be able to fix the problem.
  • Worked fine in the demo mode but once purchased and entered the serial I get the same error on a Mac AE CC14: Unable to execute script at line 1. numsRowOrient is undefined.

• Worked fine in the demo mode but once purchased and entered the serial I get the same error on a Mac AE CC14: Unable to execute script at line 1. numsRowOrient is undefined.

Please download the new version (v1.03) posted today that fixes this issue.
  • Hello. I'm having trouble figuring out the basic workflow. I don't understand how to build a palette of colors. For example, my client has given me their logo. I would like to sample/pick colors from their logo to use across my comps. Alternatively another client produces a style guide. I would like to "load" those colors into this plugin. My priority is the later. Is there a simple tutorial (not the trailer for the product)? Thanks very much.
  • Hello. I'm having trouble figuring out the basic workflow. I don't understand how to build a palette of colors. For example, my client has given me their logo. I would like to sample/pick colors from their logo to use across my comps. Alternatively another client produces a style guide. I would like to "load" those colors into this plugin. My priority is the later. Is there a simple tutorial (not the trailer for the product)? Thanks very much.

Theres two ways you can do it. To do it directly in AE, click on the + to create a new palette comp then click on the Open button to open the comp. Then select the shape layer and F3 to reveal the effects panel and simply sample the colors from the logo. If you need more colors duplicate the last color effect in the stack, delete if you need less. Once you are done, hit the refresh button in Ray.
    To do it in another app like Photoshop, create a new palette using the colors and export them as an .ase file. Then in AE simply click on the +ASE button to create a new palette comp with those colors.

there are also two full tutorials at the bottom of the product page.
  • Okay. I see those videos now. I will look. Thanks for quick response.
  • Hi there - I'm having trouble importing my .ase. When I press +ASE and navigate to the correct place, .ase files are grey-ed out. Here's the screenshot. Thanks! (I'm on CC14)

• Hi there - I'm having trouble importing my .ase. When I press +ASE and navigate to the correct place, .ase files are grey-ed out. Here's the screenshot. Thanks! (I'm on CC14)
    To make sure it is not a permissions issue on your machine can you try moving an ase to the desktop to see if you can read it in there?  If not please open a support ticket and let us know which OS version you are using so we can look into it further.
  • Thanks, Lloyd. Tried to import the ase from the desktop. No dice. Opened a support ticket!
  • Thanks, Lloyd. Tried to import the ase from the desktop. No dice. Opened a support ticket!
    Thanks for the ticket. We have fixed this issue in v1.04 just posted. Please upgrade when you get a chance.
  • Hi everyone, has anyone been able to get the cycle advanced feature to work? When I create markers and apply it to my layer the color isn't changing. It remains as a single color. Ive tried on AE CC, AE CC 2014

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I resolved! The markers need to be specifically assigned to the layer (with the * ) not to the composition. I had been attempting to drag comp markers. Works great, thank you!
  • I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for this script.  Completely changed my color workflow.  So much more fun and creative now... often I would have found myself saying, "it would be cool if all these colors would keep changing on the beat, what have you"  but then say, "you know I don't have the time /budget...  This changed all that and opened up a quick creative possibility.  Thanks a million.
  • YO Mang, Bang up Job. LOVE it.
  • Hi there,
    Thanks for the great tool.
    I am having a few issues with the script, which I'm thinking might because i'm on Windows and now Mac:

1> if i type a number between 1 and 9 in the Blue channel of a stroke, it does not return palette colors.  Also I cannot just press the Up key on my keyboard to quickly change numbers (it changes decimals instead)

2> if i type a number between 1 and 9 in the Hex box, the color does not update immediately as in your video tutorial - i need to press OK and get out of the menu before it updates.  Kind of annoying when you want to play with colors and see which is best.

I am using CC 2014 on Win 7 Pro.  Do you have anything solution/workaround/fix for these issues?

Many thanks

Charles
  • 1> When the project is in 16 bit or 32 bit the number in the blue channel will go to decimals. Ray Dynamic Color needs whole numbers to reference the color number in your palette. I would suggest working in 8bit if you want to use the up and down key function.

2> This still works for me both on MAC and PC ( CC 2014 and Win 7 ) Please open a support ticket and let us know each step your taking to color. That way we can try to recreate your issue so we can look into it further.
  • Say I have a project that has a set color palette already.  I want to apply this script so all colors are linked up.  Is there a way that the script will search and link all my colors so I don't have to go in and do it manually?
  • Hi Seth,

This is currently not possible but this sounds like a great feature to include in the next update.

Sander
  • Hi Seth,

This is currently not possible but this sounds like a great feature to include in the next update.

Sander
    Sick man let me know, I would freak out. :P
  • Hi Sander, awesome work! I wondered, what was your workflow with regards to the cat animation in the training video? I'm hoping to animate a dog that will have a sense of depth like your cat, in AE. Any insights or advice would be greatly appreciated!
  • Hi Patrick, the sense of depth is created because I'm hiding the outlines of the individual shapes. The cat was designed in Ai and then animated in AE. Check out this awesome character rigging tool by Greg Gunn https://aescripts.com/puppettools/ if your into character animation.

S.
  • What happens when a RAY .aep gets opened in a non RAY copy of AE, colours get adjusted, project is saved then the goes back to the RAY machine? Can a non RAY AE machine break a RAY set up?
  • Hi Dow, 

Have a look at the Advanced tutorial on the bottom of the product page 3 minutes in.

Ray only creates the connections between the color property and the color palette using expressions.
    So when you open a RAY .aep in a non RAY copy of AE you can still change colors.

S.
  • I've imported an .ase file - good.  And I've added a few other colors to the palette.  How can I save that new palette to use in other projects? Can I export an .ase file?
  • Hi Jeff,

If you click on Advanced, you have the option to export the color palette selected to an ASE file. You need to be connected to the internet for this to work.

Sander
  • Does Ray Dynamic Color only work with shape layers? For example, can I use it with the tint effect?
  • Hi Atthar,

Ray Dynamic Color works with all layers and it also works with effects including the tint effect. 

All color properties that are found within your selection will be linked to your color palette.

If there is no color properties found Ray will add a Fill effect to the layer to apply your selected color.

Sander
  • I've applied Random to my layers, and decided I want Cycle. 
    It doesn't seem to work as marker isn't causing cycling colors.  I'm thinking it's an either or situation, so how can I remove the Random effect from my layers so I can apply the Cycle effect?
  • Hi Jeff,

There is an advanced expression called Random Cycle this if you apply that expression to your layer you can cycle trough random colors with markers. 

Select "Random Cycle 1.0" from the dropdown menu in the advanced section. Then, the color / number you click on will be the color that is excluded from the random selection. ( if you want a random selection using all colors  use the # button and assign 0 )

Sander
  • Afternoon, 

I wanted to gift this to a friend as well as buy a copy for myself.  AE Scripts suggested that I simply purchase a gift card for said individual, but as I was buying both sets of licenses with a giftcard, it's not possible.  (Buying a giftcard with a giftcard is a no-no). So, I have two separate 'single user licenses' and I was wondering if you'd be able to make one of them defunct, and create a new license specifically for said individual... so it would have their name and show up in their account as opposed to mine.  I was hoping this was possible as I recently won another item off AE Scripts and was given a redemption code to use at checkout.  Much appreciated!

Love the script though.  It's fantastic!
  • Afternoon, 

I wanted to gift this to a friend as well as buy a copy for myself.  AE Scripts suggested that I simply purchase a gift card for said individual, but as I was buying both sets of licenses with a giftcard, it's not possible.  (Buying a giftcard with a giftcard is a no-no). So, I have two separate 'single user licenses' and I was wondering if you'd be able to make one of them defunct, and create a new license specifically for said individual... so it would have their name and show up in their account as opposed to mine.  I was hoping this was possible as I recently won another item off AE Scripts and was given a redemption code to use at checkout.  Much appreciated!

Love the script though.  It's fantastic!
    Please open a support ticket for help with this.
  • great product! I was looking for something like this.
    will it also work in different AE languages?
  • Great! Yes it should work in multiple languages. If not, open up a support ticket and we'll fix it!

S.
  • why the script (in normal mode, not the panel) has a large blank area that can not be removed?
  • Hi,
    I am considering purchasing Ray Dynamic Color and I just watched your video showcasing the free update to Ray Dynamic Color 1.5. I was curious if you are able to ease those keyframes or not since I saw they were hold keyframes in the video.

Thanks,
    Ryan
  • Hi,
    I am considering purchasing Ray Dynamic Color and I just watched your video showcasing the free update to Ray Dynamic Color 1.5. I was curious if you are able to ease those keyframes or not since I saw they were hold keyframes in the video.

Thanks,
    Ryan
    Hi Ryan,

Thanks for your question, Ray works with expressions. Each hold keyframe links to a color in the palette. Animating between them is made possible by using the "linear()" expression. This creates a linear transition. You also have the option to change the expression from linear to "ease()" this will have the default 33% ease on your keyframes. To my knowledge it's not possible to set a custom ease using expressions.

Linear and Ease works for most user situations, if you really need specific easing on color keyframes you can always do it manually and use the Ray palette to color pick from.

S.
  • why the script (in normal mode, not the panel) has a large blank area that can not be removed?
    Hi Mike,

Not sure what large black area you are referring to in normal mode? Can you open a support ticket and send us a screenshot with more details?

S.

• I already purchased the previous version of Ray but I'm not sure how to get the free update (1.5). I only see an option to buy and when I add it to my cart it charges me full price. Is there a different way to download the free update?

Thanks!
  • I already purchased the previous version of Ray but I'm not sure how to get the free update (1.5). I only see an option to buy and when I add it to my cart it charges me full price. Is there a different way to download the free update?

Thanks!
    Hi Javi,

Go to your account page and click on My Downloads & Licenses
    Find Ray Dynamic Color and click on download. There you can find version 1.5!

S.
  • Keep up the good work!
  • How do you download the free update?
  • How do you download the free update?
    You can download it from the 'My Downloads & Licenses' section of your user account.   
  • just bought and installed and already very impressed.  is it a limitation of adobe's ui that no more than 10 swatches can be shown in the RDC panel?  i have an ASE with a bunch more colors than that, and while it does import and work nicely beyond the 10 swatches via RDC, i need to refer to the comp that RDC creates in order to keep track of all of the colors, which is a bit of a distraction.  any chance that all the swatches (looks like these are capped to 50 colors) can show up in the RDC panel?

very clever script though, thanks so much.  i work in toon boom harmony and i'm so used to being able to swap out an entire project's color instances like this, so this is a huge help.
  • just bought and installed and already very impressed.  is it a limitation of adobe's ui that no more than 10 swatches can be shown in the RDC panel?  i have an ASE with a bunch more colors than that, and while it does import and work nicely beyond the 10 swatches via RDC, i need to refer to the comp that RDC creates in order to keep track of all of the colors, which is a bit of a distraction.  any chance that all the swatches (looks like these are capped to 50 colors) can show up in the RDC panel?

very clever script though, thanks so much.  i work in toon boom harmony and i'm so used to being able to swap out an entire project's color instances like this, so this is a huge help.
    Hey Dan,

To increase the amount of swatches click on the ? mark button. There you will be able to fill out how many color buttons you need.

I have set the limit to 50 because after that point its almost better to have multiple palettes. I would love to hear suggestions of how to make the script better if you have them. Please open a support ticket and let me know.

S.

Click on the ? icon to define how many swatches are shown in the UI.
  • bam!  there it is!  thanks again, both sander and lloyd.

for now importing even 50 colors in an ASE is beyond my needs, so no problem (for me) with that cap.

i'll provide some more useful feedback after using it for a few projects.  i think it'll be a real timesaver.
  • The best tool i 've ever seen for a long time. Very good job.
  • So far RDC has been a great tool, thanks so much for providing this script.
    One question- when I apply RDC to a color property the un-expressed color changes to black. Is there a way to leave the color at it's user chosen value so that if I turn the expression off I don't get black?
    Thanks!