Variable Diffusion
  • Dropped the plug-in into Applications > Adobe After Effects CC 2014 > Plug-ins and restarted AE but Variable Diffusion is not showing up in the effects list.
  • Hi Robert. It should be in the twirldown/group "Invisible Chainsaw Plug-ins". Is that the issue?
  • If you are still unable to see it, can you try applying one of the presets to a layer and seeing if it then shows up.
  • It's just not showing up at all. No "Invisible Chainsaw" category in the Effects menu, nothing comes up when I search "Effects and Presets" - I also restarted just in case. I must be doing something duh, because this is a very simple and standard installation, but...
  • Hi Robert, do you have any other versions of After Effects on your machine that you can try installing it into, just to see if it shows up? Also, just to confirm, you are Mac OS and not Windows?
  • OK, it was me. I have a separate boot drive and that's where I put the plug-in by mistake. Moved it to the current startup drive and it's there now. Sorry for the confusion!
  • We haven't had anyone mention this issue, but we recently encountered this ourselves: If you get a “twinkling” or “pop off” effect around bright objects just as they are moving offscreen (usually over a dark background, and using heavy Variable Diffusion settings), we have a pretty simple & effective workaround that we've added to the FAQs. https://aescripts.com/knowledgebase/index/view/faq/variable-diffusion-frequently-asked-questions/#twinkling
  • Very interested in a Windows version of this product!
  • Dropped the plug-in into Applications > Adobe After Effects CC 2014 > Plug-ins and restarted AE but Variable Diffusion is not showing up in the effects list.
    The plug in not showing up in the plugins in after effects is likely due
    to a file size limit in the plugins folder of after effects (premiere
    has it too) try removing a couple of your plugins to the desktop and
    reinstall....I too am eager for a windows version of variable diffusion
    :)

• when I select VariableDiffusion I got this error message:--
    After Effects error: Couldn't find main entry point for VariableDiffusion.plugin (48 :: 72)

please help. I am using AE 5.5 in MacOX 10.6.8

Thanks
  • when I select VariableDiffusion I got this error message:--
    After Effects error: Couldn't find main entry point for VariableDiffusion.plugin (48 :: 72)

please help. I am using AE 5.5 in MacOX 10.6.8

Thanks
    Hi Jeffrey. Which version of Variable Diffusion are you using? Version 1.2 fixed a bug for some users running OS X 10.7 and earlier. You can find it in the 'My Downloads & Licenses'  section of your user account.  
  • Would LOVE an OFX version, although I am highly considering the AE version anyways. Your plug-in could very easy compete with Tiffen Dfx , especially if its available as OFX in Resolve. Very great work! 
  • But I haven't purchased it yet. I want to try the product first. So where else can I download version 1.2 ?
    thanks
  • But I haven't purchased it yet. I want to try the product first. So where else can I download version 1.2 ?
    thanks
    Hi Jeffrey. If you download the trial version (on this page: https://aescripts.com/variable-diffusion/) again, it has been updated to contain version 1.2.
  • i will wait for a windows version, :) i like this plug in, seems to have a lot of potentality 
  • Would be very interested ... if there was a Windows version.
  • I would love to see an AVX version for Avid!
  • VERY interested in a Windows version...would adding a "pretty please" help persuade you? Seriously cool plug-in!!!
  • Are there any plans to release a windows version. I did not see a response to the question from you. Please let us windows users know if we should wait for a windows version or look for another solution. Thanks
  • Hi Malcolm (and others). We are currently looking into a Windows / After Effects version, but unfortunately can not speculate on a release date at this time. But we *can* say that the Win / AE version is highly likely to be the first of any new host / OS formats to be released. We very genuinely appreciate your request and input, and want you and everyone else to know that we absolutely are listening. Thank you for going out of your way to let us know. For the earliest possible notifications of any new format releases, please feel free to join our mail list at http://invch.com/join
  • VERY cool plug-in, although I have to use a very long workflow, which involves baking the effect into my file before going into color correction in any other app, such as Resolve, Speedgrade, or Scratch. Please do consider an OFX plug-in for resolve, as its enormously useful and works very well
  • Thanks so much for the kind words Jason. We genuinely appreciate and value your input and are taking note of any and all host / format requests, and are looking into the possibility. We also look forward to seeing any projects that use Variable Diffusion… please feel free to tweet video links to us if you'd like to share… or twitter PM if you'd like to avoid publicly posting it. Thanks again for your input!
  • Please make Windows Version!! 
    I've bought this plugin without Mac... oh my god!
  • Yes, I also second a Windows Version, since I work in both environments and not having one effect available like in the other is "disturbing" :-)
    I also second the OFX plug-in for Resolve because I do bigger color work there and not having to do color in several programs helps a lot... ;-)
  • Very cool stuff!!!
    Make a windows version and I'll buy it.
  • hi all is possible to have a little step-by, mini guide or tutorial about how to refine of the mask for skin?? let me explain: i'm try to figure out how to refine the selection for the skin after the plugIn is dropped on footage... i'm trying around with "Find skin brightness" and "find skin hue" but i have some problems, the case is with lips... they tend to loose sharpness and obviously have different color from skin....
  • hi all is possible to have a little step-by, mini guide or tutorial about how to refine of the mask for skin?? let me explain: i'm try to figure out how to refine the selection for the skin after the plugIn is dropped on footage... i'm trying around with "Find skin brightness" and "find skin hue" but i have some problems, the case is with lips... they tend to loose sharpness and obviously have different color from skin....
    Hi Gianclaudio. Because lips are actually very similar in color to skin, the skin finder may include lips in the inherent selection. If you are unable to improve the skin selection using Variable Diffusion's controls, you may be able to improve results by applying Variable Diffusion to an adjustment layer, then duplicating the footage layer and placing it above the adjustment layer and using color keying or masking tools to isolate the lips. Then use that keyed/masked layer as a matte for the adjustment layer containing Variable Diffusion.
  • looks impressive but waiting for windows version..
  • Looks promising, but... I've started to avoid grading/coloring plug-ins that dont have Premiere version. Doing anything with color means that you need do dynamic link your whole project to AE making simple things complex. After dynamic linking a project to AE from Premiere nothing works fast anymore.

Any hope that we will ever see an Premiere Pro version of this?

PS. My main workstation is a PC but I do have a Mac as well. If I buy this on a Mac now and one day you decide to release PC version. Will I get the PC version as well? Many plug-ins are sold like that, but I know some plug-ins where you need to buy PC & MAC versions seperately (and that sucks).
  • Miika, thanks so much for your input and apologies for the delayed response. We greatly value you sharing your insight and are taking note of any and all host and format requests, and are looking into the possibility. Though at this time we can not officially say whether a Windows/AE version will be released nor when... if that does happen, any preexisting Mac/AE license holders will receive a Windows/AE license at no additional charge.
  • Absolutely LOVE this plug-in. Any chance you are considering an OFX version for Resolve OR a Windows version. Would kill for a windows version of this plugin. Thanks IC team!
  • I can't get the presets to show up in AE 2015. They are there for 2014. Any idea's?
    Thanks!
  • Hi Felix, we have not heard of any issues with presets and CC 2015 from Variable Diffusion users, but can you describe in more detail your issue? Is it possible the CC 2015 installer moved the location of your presets?
    I can't get the presets to show up in AE 2015. They are there for 2014. Any idea's?
    Thanks!
  • I have attached a screen shot showing the OS's AE Preset folder and ICVD presets inside it, a comp with the effect open and preset folder, in the effects tab, with no listing for ICVD. Have restarted AE but it does not see the folder, for some strange reason. I have no issues with the many other presets/plugins I have installed....Strange!
    Screen Shot 2015-10-23 at 8.00.54 PM.png
    2187 x 682 - 382K
  • I have version 1.2, the latest, but though I should try downloading it again and reinstall. Presets still didn't show up. On the off chance that it may force AE to see the preset folder I opened the "VDf Preset Peeker.aep" file supplied and that made the presets finally appear. The change seems to be permanent as the previous project I was working on, that wasn't showing the preset folder is now showing it.
    Hope that help anyone else that may be have similar issues.
    Cheers.
  • I have used this plugin for some months and are very happy with it. To date I haven't had time to extract bright areas of a clip - render the bright areas out as an image sequence - and apply "Variable Diffusion" exclusively to these areas. This procedure would allow for more discreet glows.

It is useful that working with Variable Diffusion I can select virtually any colour to glow a clip. For a number of years I have relied on Genarts' Sapphire "Glow" to get the diffused/ glow effects I wanted. However, this plugin builds on the Genarts' Sapphire plugin, and absolutely blows Boris FX' glows out of the water.  
  • Just switched from mac to win and realised that you dont have a win version...is that something you are working on?
  • Hi Ivan. Unfortunately we don't have plans for a Windows version in the near future. It's possible that it will happen eventually, but unfortunately not soon.
  • I would like to add my voice to those who are making the switch to PC. Please, please make a windows compatible version! There are more of us every day!
  • When will this plugin be updated to run in Adobe CC 2017 and beyond?
  • When will this plugin be updated to run in Adobe CC 2017 and beyond?
    Hi Peter. The plugin works 100% with no issues with After Effects CC 2017. Our initial tests with CC 2018 have had no issues as well, but we'll test further. 

Have you had any issues with Variable Diffusion in CC 2017?

Thanks!
  • Will this work on a render farm or do you have special licensing for render only nodes?
  • The best Diffusion plugin I've ever used. I had to switch to Windows and wish I could still use it! 
  • What's frustrating is that I can tell the variable diffusion plugin itself is working in AE 2020 since I apply it to a layer and can see the effect. However, when I enter my license key, it continually gives me the error "Sorry, the license code is not valid" and shows me an example license code format that matches my own.
  • What's frustrating is that I can tell the variable diffusion plugin itself is working in AE 2020 since I apply it to a layer and can see the effect. However, when I enter my license key, it continually gives me the error "Sorry, the license code is not valid" and shows me an example license code format that matches my own.

Please review our License Code FAQ to solve most licensing issues: https://aescripts.com/knowledgebase/index/view/faq/license-code-faq/ If you still need assistance, please open a support ticket https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1