• Hey there!

Is the world.geojson data you provided open for commercial use?
    Yes it is free to use for any purpose without attribution!

hi, how to get city maps of countries? for use as GeoShapes?
    world cities .geojson
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/7uqhzks6rdddp63/Cities.geojson?dl=1

There you go! Also free to use!

Have a great day!
    Markus
  • I try it and have a big problems with finalization of 30 sec animation. To much not respondings!!
  • Hey Kirill,

May you open a support ticket please and describe your problem a bit more datailled. Then I can help you better.

Cheers
    Markus
  • Hey Markus! Thanks for the amazing plugin. I'm wondering if it's possible to resize a layer's composition dimensions after I've created it? It seems there's no way to edit the comp dimensions without breaking it.

Best,
    Gabe
  • Hey Gabe,
    Thanks! Glad you like it! It is possible in general... problem is that AE adapts the LatLongZoom property according to the new comp-dimensions when you change it. A workaround would be to copy the keyframes, change the dimensions and paste them to the prop again.
    Cheers
    Markus
  • Hi Markus, I'm wondering if there is a way to scroll in smaller increments than the scroll arrows. I find that I often need to position a map more precisely than possible with the arrows. I've tried zooming in, scrolling and then zooming back out. This will sometimes work but it's pretty clumsy. 
  • Anyone here know where I can find a tutorial to generate "Trim Paths?"  - A stroke from going to point A to point B? Or anyone who can simply tell me how?
    Thanks in Advance!
  • Hi Markus, I'm wondering if there is a way to scroll in smaller increments than the scroll arrows.
    Hey Lisa, you can hold CMD/CTRL to scroll in smaller steps... or SHIFT for bigger ones.

Anyone here know where I can find a tutorial to generate "Trim Paths?"  - A stroke from going to point A to point B?
    Simply click the small add-arrow on the contents property and choose "trim paths". You can then animate "Start", "End", "Offset".

Regards
    Markus
  • Hi, Thanks for this wicked plugin!! 
    I´m having trouble with the control panels though. They keep disapearing
    after the have been reopend. I always have to reopen AE :(

Check the screenshot…
    Thanks
    Radek
    Bildschirmfoto 2015-05-25 um 12.52.54.png
    2557 x 1376 - 822K
  • Hey Markus,

I was curious if there's an easy way to duplicate maps that have already been set up?

I'm making about 15 maps in one AE project, and some of them will be very similar to each so I figured it would be easier to duplicate those since they're already built. However when I duplicate the main comp, the map comp, and relink the expressions (maybe I'm missing one or two), the map isn't controllable in the plugin box. 

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
  • Hi Kris,

wouldnt recommend to work that way. Unfortunately GEOlayers is concepted to only have 8 mapcomps per project each nested only once... You could put a mapcomp in two different comps. GEOlayers will then link it to the one that is opened in the timeline when initializing. Each time you select one of the 8 layers all the expressions that drive the map will get updated, so linking expressions manually won't do the job. Maybe sounds a bit like a stupid concept not to be able to duplicate mapcomps and stuff but that has to do with some internal stuff like tilecaching, linking views, saving finalization qualities, zoomlevel ranges etc. What about individual AE Projects?

Regards
    Markus
  • Hi There,

Is there a way to scale a stroke while zooming in. In a way so that the stroke allways apears to be a certain width? For instance.. When i'm zoomed out, with Europe as my view, i have the countries outlined with a stroke of 0.8 thick. Nice and thin. But when i zoom all the way to let's say Belgium, the line appears much much thicker. And it ruins the styling. But what i want is to make it appear 0.8 thick wether i'm zoomed in or not.

Its probably done with script, but i do not know how. Please help if u have the time. Thanks!
  • Hey christian,
    You can set the width of your stroke to a very tiny value and add a stroke as a layer style... This will do the job!
    Cheers
    Markus
  • Thanks!

I will give it a go. At the moment the stroke is manually animated. But ive got like 50 maps to make all of different configurations and zoom animations. Any automation is well apreciated :)

Thanks!
  • Thanks, this script is great and will hopefully save me a ton of time! Is there a way to get interior country borders only? So for example in a map of Europe you'd be able to see the borders between countries but not see an outline around the coastal regions?
  • Hey Yas,

this can't be done automatically... you could do this by drawing only the Country boarders to a layer, then draw only the fill of all countries to one layer and use it as a track matte for the previous one. Or mask it manually.

Regards

Markus

• Hi Markus,
    Fantastic program! We're going to be using this a lot! Question, where can I find the .geojson cities file? I see this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7uqhzks6rdddp63/Cities.geojson?dl=1
    but no idea what to do that code. I tried just saving code as a .geojson file but that didn't work. 
     Thanks
  • Could anyone give me a list of the catch phrases for the World.geojson for Geoshapes? They were mistakenly deleted. Thanks.

• Is it possible, in future iterations to make the finalization of the maps a background proces? On a mac, during finalization it locks up all other procesis. The window popup keeps going to the front rendering all other actions mute. On large maps with high details this takes essential time from being productive. Just a thought :) Thanks!
  • Hi Christian

We've had months thinking about solutions to do the downloading and stuff in the Background cause we know that on mac it locks your machine... This might be possible and is on the to do list... But ist not gonna come with the next updates because this needs a whole new architecture of the tool. Finalization time is coffee time;)

Hey Darrell

the dafault catchwords are "name_long,Name,City,gen"

Thats it... just download the file and Import it with the GeoShapes tool... should work!

Regards

Markus

• Thanks Markus!
    D
  • The MIR tutorial is a bit confusing. You're moving between layers* quickly and I can't tell what should be where. I guess texture is on layer 2 and Height is on layer 3 but there's nothing that tells me that. When I select a layer, I can't tell what if anything is on it. This makes it confusing when time to link them or keep track of what's what. I would expect the layer would indicate somehow what's on it or visa vera? Thanks.
    *layers within Geolayers not AE
  • Hey Darrel,
    Unfortunately we're forced to keep the identification via numbers... Not like a way to give it a name when you create it or something. This has to do with some internal stuff like supporting profiles only saved in the ae projects, tile caching and stuff. But once you're initialized with a layer you can see its server profile name on the top of the main panel. This is good enough most of the time to identify the layer.
    There is also sample projects with a MIR setup that you can download! Find them on the Bottom of the Description Tab.
    Hope that helps!
    Cheers
    Markus
  • Thanks Markus. Maybe that's the way to go here and reverse engineer the setup.
    D
  • Hi
    i am ahmed from egypt i am using geolayers with AE CC version  but i have a problem with NASA-heights when i create a layer from using nasa-heights it give me missing tile. 
    note: all the other maps is working good.

so what is the problem? and how to fix it
  • Hi Marcus,
    One more question you may be able to help with but anyone may be able to answer this. When using nasa-height tiles, is it possible to define an area in search using gps coordinates? For example, instead of searching for a street address, searching for specific gps defined grid etc?
    D
  • I have a problem with NASA-heights when i create a layer from using nasa-heights it give me missing tile. 
    note: all the other maps is working good.

Hi Ahmed,
    Just tried it myself right now... working fine. At which area are the tiles missing? Plaese open a support ticket to help me solve this: https://aescripts.com/contact/

is it possible to define an area in search using gps coordinates? For example, instead of searching for a street address, searching for specific gps defined grid etc?
    Hey Darrell,
    If I get you right you want to define a North-West gps coordinate and a South-East one to  get your area, right? Thats not possible with the search but as a little workaround you could snap a geo-layer(3rd btn on the layers tab) to your map. And adapt your view accordingly. These layers are positioned on the map by the two coordinates.

Hope that helps guys!

Cheers
    Markus
  • Hey Markus,
    Thank you kindly for your response. That may work. I'll let you know. My question concerned the possible issue of being asked to show/animate an actual trail or run someone might do and recreate it based on GPS they collected along the way. Very similar to what Suunto does with their Movescount. (If you're familiar)
  • Hi Darrell,

then this might be interesting for you:

https://aescripts.com/learn/1-min-tut-use-geolayers-with-a-gpx-track/

GEOlayers can actually Import .gpx files with tracks, routes, and waypoints. And you can also adapt the view according to that route with one click... so thats maybe what you're looking for.

Regards

Markus

• Hi ...
    I am trying the script (trial version). I run the script in AE, I create a composition and click on -create layer-.
    What happened is :
    I have the logo (bingMapsLogoWatermark.png) which has been created, a text layer too (ServiceProvider_GEOlayers_comp_1) and my composition (GEOlayers_comp_1) BUT my composition is empty, I do not have my map ...

Here is the report :

Error downloading Tile: 3
    can't find this file: 'undefined'.
    Error downloading Tile: 2
    Error downloading Tile: 1
    Error downloading Tile: 0
    Error updating branding!
    error connecting to dev.virtualearth.net:80
    updating branding...
    'GEOlayers_comp_1' is not existing in your project
    error downloading Imagery Metadata
    error connecting to dev.virtualearth.net:80
    GEOlayers 1.076trial running on AE 11.0.4x2

Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong please ? I'm from France and I work on Mac with AE CS6

Thank you

Best regards
  • Hi Guillaume,

seems like ae can't connect to the internet. Is there any proxyserver your network infrastructure has? Have you checked "allow scripts to write files and connect to the Internet" in ae's General prefs?

please open a Support ticket that I can help you better. https://aescripts.com/contact/

Cheers

Markus

• Hi Markus, it's me again ...
    New problem, here is the error message, can you tell me how can I fix that please ?

After Effects : AEGP Plugin PNGIO Support : PNGIO library error : enable to decode PNG file ( 5027 ::12 )

A broken image was generate, I had to find it, deleted it and replaced by an other. Unfortunately the message is not really useful to chase away the wrong .png ...
    How can I do to avoid this problem again ?

Thx
  • Hi Guillaume,

this message comes from AE not from GEOlayers. It really seems that you internet connection isn't stable. GEOlayers updates the logos of the service providers when you initialize with a layer the first time after you launched the script. So this should do the job and repair the image. Is the rest working now? What was the problem actually when you couldn`t load tiles?

Cheers
    Markus
  • Hey Markus,

I'm trying to find a tileserver I can use with GEOlayers for NASA's "black marble" (earth at night) dataset. I'm wondering if you know of any or maybe you can help me deploy one for us all to use? :) 

Thanks,
    Stephen
  • Hi Markus,

First of all thank you for your help and your availability, it's really appreciated.
    Let us return in my concerns. Here is what I'm doing :
    In GEOLayers, first key frame I'm starting from a country, then I'm zoom in to a city with a second key frame and I finished in a street (zoom max) in a last key frame.
    I increase the quality of my scene until 100 % and then I alt+click to finalize my comp & my linked comp and downloads needed tiles.

Two problems appeared :
    - One Tile was not create correctly, It has created a kind of corrupt file. It explains the error message - After Effects : AEGP Plugin PNGIO Support : PNGIO library error : enable to decode PNG file ( 5027 ::12 )
    So I had to find the corrupt file manually in my finder, deleted it and replace it (Relink to the new one) in AE.

- At the end of my movement I am zooming to a b
    uilding and all my tiles are not available. GEOLayers writes me two warning message : setting up zoomlevel-blending
    looking for lower zoomlevels
    So I think I'm to close :)

I will test the script in an other society. You are certainly right, our internet connection isn't stable.

Thank you again
  • Thanks for such a thorough script! I watched your tutorial on how to add a lower res layer for distant maps, but is there any easy way to up-res the existing map other than creating it all over again? It would be nice to call up that initial dialog box when you set your size for the first time and just enter new numbers and have the layers re-finalize to the new size! I created my tiles at 1920x1080 at first, but didn't realize I was going to need to zoom in closer via camera moves, and zooming in to the GEOLayer isn't going to work based on how I've built it, when a simple up-res of my GEOLayer comp would be easier.
  • I'm trying to find a tileserver I can use with GEOlayers for NASA's "black marble" (earth at night) dataset. I'm wondering if you know of any or maybe you can help me deploy one for us all to use? :) 

Hey Stephen,

As far as I know there is no tileserver for it out there. You can use Software like QGIS or Maptiler to render tiles out of the NASA imagery. Only important thing is to use Mercator projection. You can then use the imagery from a local source or on a server to access it with GEOlayers. For detailled help you can open a support ticket: https://aescripts.com/contact/

Hi Guillaume,

the PNG Problem appears when the Internet Connection is not stable. I didn't find a way to fix it yet. And the second Problem might really just result from the imagery that is not available in this zoomlevel.

Thanks for such a thorough script! I watched your tutorial on how to add a lower res layer for distant maps, but is there any easy way to up-res the existing map other than creating it all over again? It would be nice to call up that initial dialog box when you set your size for the first time and just enter new numbers and have the layers re-finalize to the new size! I created my tiles at 1920x1080 at first, but didn't realize I was going to need to zoom in closer via camera moves, and zooming in to the GEOLayer isn't going to work based on how I've built it, when a simple up-res of my GEOLayer comp would be easier.

Hey Andrew,

Unfortunately there is no way to increase the deatail of allready drawn shapes. We might think about a solution for upcoming versions. Sorry for now.

Cheers

Markus 

• Hey Andrew,

I think I got you wrong on the last post. You can actually adapt the resolution of your mapcomp! only issue is that AE adapts the latLngZoom property according to the new comp dimensions automatically. All you need to do is copy your keyframes before you change the size and paste them again afterwards. 

Regards

Markus

• Hey guys, great work! It opens new AE horizons!

I cannot find info how/if it is possible to implement custom made Mapbox as a new server profile.
    Mapbox offers GeoJSON or KML (Data) export / Map ID / Share / Embed  options.

Which of these Mapbox/Project parameters should go into which GEOlayers/Preferences/Server settings.

Thank you very much for your hints and support.
    Best regards,
    Luka

• Hey Luka,

Just create a new server profile in GEOlayers and set it up as follows (paste in "authentification key" and "tile style"):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0uh42smahlpc9rr/MapboxImplementation.jpg?dl=0

Let me know if you have further questions!

Cheers

Markus

• This plugin is fantastic!

Only issue I've run into is importing geojson data. I've tried the suggestions from previous comments, but I still get the "invalid file" error when I try to import. I tried changing the file extension to .geojson but that didn't work. I've tried converting the files with http://converter.mygeodata.eu/ but that didn't work either. I've also validated my file on geojsonlint.com and it appears to be fine.

Any ideas?
    Actually...I just sorted it out. I'm on OS X and changing the extension to 7 digits just adds it to the filename...it doesn't seem to recognize that you want to change the extension. All is working great now. :)
    Hi Justin,

I'm having the same issue but don't quite understand your workaround... could you please elaborate?

Thanks!
  • Hey Markus!

I'm back again. I use the graph editor and speed influence on keyframes a lot. I've run into a problem when I use it on the map, the transitions for the tiles in the precomp don't adjust accordingly so the transitions from one zoom level to another are more noticeable, is there a way to counteract this?

Thanks again!
    Kris
  • Hey Kris,
    you can adapt the zoomlevel blend duration in the general section of the prefs. But if i get you right you want some kind of adaptive zoomlevel transitions right?
    cheers
    markus
  • Hey Kris,
    you can adapt the zoomlevel blend duration in the general section of the prefs. But if i get you right you want some kind of adaptive zoomlevel transitions right?
    cheers
    markus
    Hey Markus,

The blend duration seems to help, but adaptive zoom I think is exactly what I'm looking for. If I use an incoming curve of 90% for example, I'm already zoomed into the map before the tiles at that level have transitioned to the higher resolution tiles. Since the map isn't zooming very fast at this point the transition is more noticeable.

I think I explained that correctly?

Thanks for all your work on this and your quick responses!

Best,
    Kris
  • Hi Chris,

You can always use a longer blend duration when it suits better for you, since it automatically speeds up in case there is not enough time between 2 zoomlevel-changes. Guess I got you now. So technically the blending should be related to the speed of the zoom at the time the transition starts. It is possible to implement that... On the list;)

Regards
    Markus 
  • Hi

the script works perfectly and solves a many problems regarding thins kind of animation.
    But I have a problem using the Google Maps profile created following the instruction in the youtube and vimeo tutorial.

Tiles won't download and everytime I restart AE the Google Maps server profile is gone.

I live in Italy, is it possible that my location influences the script workflow?

Thanks

Davide
  • Hi Davide,

first wierd thing is that the profile is not saved... what about all other settings? are they also reset after restarting AE? Try clicking "apply" after you changed something. Please open a support ticket (https://aescripts.com/contact/) and send me a screenshot of your server profile setup. Let's see whats wrong with it. Just checked it over here, and it still works fine.

Cheers
    Markus
  • Hey Markus,  great script!  I'm trying to use the Stamen toner background server on a project (I need a generic map look without identifying labels), but I'm getting a string of these errors:
    AEGP Plugin PNGIO Support: PNGIO library error: Unable to decode PNG file (5027::12).  I haven't changed anything in the script from previous successful usage.  Any advice for dealing with this?  Thanks!
    Matt
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions