• Hey mark,
    any topics in particular you want to have tuts about? Search the web for .shp files. You can convert them using mapshaper.org they are more common than geojsons.

Cheers
    markus

Even a quick tutorial on this process would do wonders for how users can utilize this tool. Do I convert it to a geojsons? Will it automatically snap to the correct place on the map in GEOLayers.

This tool is incredible for after effects users. But for the average After Effects user. All this map stuff is foreign to us. I look forward to all future tutorials from GEOLayers

Thanks for your work.
  • Not Sure if you are aware of this, but anytime I draw a layer, I can not close this "GEOLayers - Drawing GeoShapes" pop up window. It shows that the action is 100% complete, and I can continue to work. But I can not close the window. And if I do that task again, I will get a second window I can not close.

Am I doing something wrong? 

Thanks for your help.

• Hi,

Before trying this out, Is it possible to use the maps in Geolayers without the copyright lines at the bottom? Is there a cost? And is that for all map providers?

Thanks,
    Paul
  • Even a quick tutorial on this process would do wonders for how users can utilize this tool. Do I convert it to a geojsons? Will it automatically snap to the correct place on the map in GEOLayers.

Allright, I'll put some Geo Shapes workflow tuts on the list. And yes, they all will snap to the correct place on the map in GEOlayers.

Not Sure if you are aware of this, but anytime I draw a layer, I can not close this "GEOLayers - Drawing GeoShapes" pop up window. It shows that the action is 100% complete, and I can continue to work. But I can not close the window. And if I do that task again, I will get a second window I can not close.

You're not doing anything wrong. I know about this issue but there is no way to fix it. The window is technically closed, so it doesn't react on any clicks anymore but somehow AE is still showing it. You can click the "Create Mapcomp" button. This will let GEOlayers reinitialize your current Mapcomp, use the progress window and close it again.

Before trying this out, Is it possible to use the maps in Geolayers without the copyright lines at the bottom? Is there a cost? And is that for all map providers?

Hi Paul,

Using the maps free of charge you need to show the copyright string. I don't know the paid solutions of the providers in detail but Mapbox for example offers nonattributed maps as far as I know.

All default profiles that come with GEOlayers can be used for free as long as you attribute them.

Hope that helps guys!

Cheers

Markus

• Hello!

I've created my ownl google maps styles using https://snazzymaps.com ;
    Would it be possible to use that with GeoLayers? 

Thanks,
    Guil
  • Hi Guil,

Unfortunately not. Currently only http protocol not https is supported. Sorry!

Cheers

Markus

• Hello,

What is causing the map to be different colors or quality as in this image?

How do I fix this?

Thanks for your help.
  • Hey Mark,

The Providers of course use a lot of image sources for their satelitemaps. This is exactly the point where a lower zoomlevel is based on a different image than the higher one coming up. Only chance is to do this by hand. Or try to use different finalization qualities and zoom in or out a bit. For example zoom in a bit more and finalize with a higher Quality. Or zoom out slightly and lower the Quality bit. Dhis would cause other zoomlevels to be loaded for the Image.

Hope that helps!

Ah, Mark forgot to tell you. Have a look at These tutorials too:

https://aescripts.com/learn/1-min-tut-incorporate-geolayers-with-element-3d/

https://aescripts.com/learn/1-min-tut-use-geolayers-with-a-gpx-track/

Cheers

Markus

• Hi

Is there a way to save costume layers created. I make the make with the look I want on the "Stamen Map Stack API" and after closing AE I go back and the comp still has the style but the layer created is gone and I have to remake it if i want to edit it. 
  • Is there a way to save costume layers created. I make the make with the look I want on the "Stamen Map Stack API" and after closing AE I go back and the comp still has the style but the layer created is gone and I have to remake it if i want to edit it. 
    Hi Brian,
    Thats not how GEOlayers works usually. Of course all your server profiles and settings should be saved. I've heard of a couple users that stuff wont get saved. So would be kind of you creating a support ticket (https://aescripts.com/contact/) and helping me debugging this issue since I can't recreate it on my machines. Thaks in advance!

Best
    Markus
  • Hey jo,
    Geolayers has no standard api for google maps. Never had, but using the universal api you can connect to google maps tileservers. Still no problem!

Hey mark,
    any topics in particular you want to have tuts about? Search the web for .shp files. You can convert them using mapshaper.org they are more common than geojsons.

Cheers
    markus
    Hello Markus,

I have tried the above process and ran into some issues I need clarification for. When I go to mapshaper.org and choose to convert a .shp file into a .geojson using the GEOJSON export option at mapshaper.org, it actually exports a .json file that is not recognized by GeoLayers when I try to import it. It does not export a .geojson file.

Can I just rename it and change the extension to .geojson? Would that work? Or am I doing something wrong at mapshaper.org?

As well, every .shp file that I exported using mapshaper.org was well above the 25 MB import limit that GeoLayers allows. Is there any way for me to reduce these file sizes.

Your help would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to figure out how to get maximum value out of this tool. I love the potential opportunities but there is definitely a learning curve.

Thanks a lot,

Mark

• Hey Mark,

Yes, you can actually just change the extension to "geojson" but "json" can also be imported. Note that you need to change the Filter in the open dialog on Windows. Mapshaper has a simplify options. This can be used to reduce the file size. But will end up in less detailled shapes. But note that drawing a shape whose data is over 25MB will extremely slow down your project!!! You could also use a program like QGIS to split your data to regions or something.

Cheers
    Markus
  • Hi Markus, I've bought GeoLayers to use the GeoJson import function. There seems to be a small issue with the Geo Shapes UI. If the user has previously loaded a GeoJson file the UI appear as a blank white square.

Also prefs is doing the same thing…

They work again after restarting AE.

Also trying to configure Universal API server settings for Google Maps…
    Tried this but not working
     http://mts1.google.com/vt/lyrs=m&x={{pX}}&y={{pY}}&z={{ZoomLevel}}&ext={{FileExtension}}

Thanks,
    Daniel

• Hi Daniel,

I know about the Issue with the blank windows. Are you using an older Version of AE? If you have a lot of additional scripts running It could be helpful to close them before you start GEOlayers. It's a pitty but I didn't find a way to fix this on my side.

But good News on the Google profile... I've noticed that no matter what file Extension you set up the server gives you png on "lyrs=m" and jpg on  "lyrs=s". So just use: "http://mts1.google.com/vt/lyrs=m&x={{pX}}&y={{pY}}&z={{ZoomLevel}}" as URI mask and set up the correct file extension in the dropdown.

Cheers

Markus

• Hi Daniel,

I know about the Issue with the blank windows. Are you using an older Version of AE? If you have a lot of additional scripts running It could be helpful to close them before you start GEOlayers. It's a pitty but I didn't find a way to fix this on my side.But good News on the Google profile... I've noticed that no matter what file Extension you set up the server gives you png on "lyrs=m" and jpg on  "lyrs=s". So just use: "http://mts1.google.com/vt/lyrs=m&x={{pX}}&y={{pY}}&z={{ZoomLevel}}" as URI mask and set up the correct file extension in the dropdown.CheersMarkus
    Hi Markus,
    We are indeed using CS6 and I do have a handful of other script UIs open… however these other UI scripts are mandatory. Switching workspaces is an option, but we work with very tight deadlines for News Broadcast so the less disturbance the better. We are upgrading to CC2015 in the coming months, do you think we will see an improvement with the issue then?
    Thanks for the Google Maps help that's working for me now, except GeoLayers doesn't seem to store the new server details.. do I need to enter the config each time I start GeoLayers?
    We are potentially looking at bulk license purchase of this tool, can I hit you up with some more questions via email?
    Cheers,
    Daniel 

Another question
  • Hello.

I've enabled Google Satellite maps. Is it possible to include country boarders etc?

Thank you
  • Hi Daniel,

With CC2015 you shouldn't have these problems anymore. Never heard of that Issue an anything above CS6. Sure gonna write you a PM with my mail!

Hello.

I've enabled Google Satellite maps. Is it possible to include country boarders etc?

Thank you

Hi Henry,

Yes of course. You can draw country boarders on all maps using the GeoShapes tool. This allows you to draw geojson or gpx (geographic vectordata)shapes directly on ae shapelayers. It's the fourth button on the layers tab. A set of all countries is included so you don't even need to search the web for data.

Cheers

Markus

• Hi Markus,

My service provider text never seems to be correct. It just says "ServiceProvider_GEOlayers_comp_1"

Can you tell me what it should say when I'm using Bing Satellites and Bing Street maps?

Also, I know you said GeoLayers could be used with GoogleEarth but there was a process to enable access. Can you tell me the process or direct me to where I can find it?

Much thanks. 

• Hi Henry,

Yes of course. You can draw country boarders on all maps using the GeoShapes tool. This allows you to draw geojson or gpx (geographic vectordata)shapes directly on ae shapelayers. It's the fourth button on the layers tab. A set of all countries is included so you don't even need to search the web for data. CheersMarkus

Thank you, but where do I find this set that's included? It asks me to browse my computer but not sure where it's saved.

• Hey Henry,

the world.geojson file is in the zip archive you downloaded. You'll be only asked once for this by the way. 

My service provider text never seems to be correct. It just says "ServiceProvider_GEOlayers_comp_1"

Can you tell me what it should say when I'm using Bing Satellites and Bing Street maps?

Also, I know you said GeoLayers could be used with GoogleEarth but there was a process to enable access. Can you tell me the process or direct me to where I can find it?

Hi Lisa,

note that the Copyright strings will not be placed till you finalize your project. Bings imagery providers are dynamic depending on the view. So I can't tell you this. If ist not working after finalizing may you please open a Support ticket?! Thanks!

Edit:

Sorry forgot to lose some words on google maps.... There you go:

https://vimeo.com/118733763

Regards

Markus

• Hi Markus,

I've loaded this map in but when I try to render out, about half way through on my fly in, I get 'After Effects Error: unknown exception'. Screen goes black and I have to move the playhead to an earlier point, or I just get the error popping up over and over again.

I'm on 10.10.4, AE CC 2015, GEO 1081

I've tried the After Effects secret menu and adjusted the layer cache settings but no luck.

Any thoughts?

Henry

• Hi Henry,

Did you draw shapelayers on the map?

There is a bug in After Effects CC2015 that has the effect you're describing when shapelayers are scaled very large.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1952361

Its allready reported to Adobe. Only solution till now seems to be working in CC2014. An instruction how to keep oder versions in your CC is also in the Forum thread.

Regards

Markus

• Markus, I cannot draw shape layers from my GeoJson files that I was drawing perfectly in the previous version of GeoLayers.
    I'm getting large white filled circles over my shapes.
    I'm using AE CS6, Win 7-64.
    I have an important project, so how can I roll back to the previous version.
  • Hi John,

There has not been changes in the GeoShapes tool. Check if its the shape layers stroke which is just too wide. This would result in large dots instead of nice shapes.

Cheers

Markus

• Hi John,

There has not been changes in the GeoShapes tool. Check if its the shape layers stroke which is just too wide. This would result in large dots instead of nice shapes.CheersMarkus
    --------------------------------------------
    OK .... 
  • Hi, is this the best place for support? I'm having a couple of issues.

1. General use - simple animation zooming out from london to a view of europe @ 100% quality. I hit finalise and get the GEOlayers finalization progress box on screen. It sticks on downloading layers a 0% and freezes up, if I leave it it eventually comes back having completed the task (after 2 or 3 minutes).

2. I'm following the topographical map tutorial. GEOlayers has stalled when drawing all of the European GeoShapes @ 69/70 98%. Close dialogue on the box doesn't close. 

Running CC 2015 on a 32gb 6 core I7. Any thoughts?

UPDATE: Tried it again after reboot - still stalls at 69/70 - AE continues working, I can close the project, but the drawing GeoShapes box remains on screen (at 98%). The close button is reactive, but does nothing. The close button is reactive, but also does nothing.
  • Hi Ben,

All of the issues you're talking about are known. But unfortunately there is no way to fix it for me.

1. AE sometimes is not responding if the scripting engine is active. It's also not updating progress bars and stuff. Just want to let you know that GEOlayers is doing ist job, so all you need to do is being patient.

2. Also on my machine I have the problem with the progress window remaining on screen. Its also not clear why AE is showing it. technically its closed, thats why you can't close it by clicking. Your shapes are drawn completely, no worries! A little trick... click create mapcomp again, this will initialize again with the existing mapcomp and quickly open and close the progress window again.

These issues differ from Version of AE and OS but unfortunately I found no way to fix it, sorry!

Cheers

Markus

• Thanks Markus - I trust you more than Adobe! I'll stick with it.
  • Here's a silly question: how do I open a support ticket?
  • Hey Lisa,

There is no silly questions;) right over here:

https://aescripts.com/contact/

Cheers

Markus

• Hi,
    Do I have a geolayers_comp  size limitation ?
    I have my main comp 1920x1080 and I want my geolayers_comp  to be 3840x2160 so I can like bend it to create un earth like horizon with After Effects bend and I dont know what else.Bu t when resize my  geolayers_comp  to 3840x2160 I can’t see it anymore.
    Thanks
  • Hi Sergio,

No there isn't. Easiest way is to create it that large. if you want to adapt it, copy all your keyframes form the LatLngZoom property, then Change the size of the comp and paste them again. That does the trick.

Cheers

Markus

• Hi,

First off I love the software, incredibly helpful for motion graphics work.  However... I cannot seem to load in geojsons.  90% of them will not do anything after I click import.  One or two have loaded but cannot be clicked on the GEOlayers GeoShapes window.  And ONE actually worked. 

Do you know why these files will not import for me?

Thanks
  • Thanks Markus. I'll try that.
  • However... I cannot seem to load in geojsons.  90% of them will not do anything after I click import.  One or two have loaded but cannot be clicked on the GEOlayers GeoShapes window.  And ONE actually worked. 

Hey Derek, 
    GEOlayers is pretty strict parsing the files. What you can do is go to http://www.mapshaper.org/ drag the files in and export them to geojson again. This will make the files valid.
    Cheers
    Markus
  • However... I cannot seem to load in geojsons.  90% of them will not do anything after I click import.  One or two have loaded but cannot be clicked on the GEOlayers GeoShapes window.  And ONE actually worked. 

Hey Derek, 
    GEOlayers is pretty strict parsing the files. What you can do is go to http://www.mapshaper.org/ drag the files in and export them to geojson again. This will make the files valid.
    Cheers
    Markus

Thanks for the quick response Markus however that is what I have been doing and haven't gotten any useable geojsons out of mapshaper either...  Has anyone else had success with that?

• Hey Derek,

Didn't have problems after exporting it from mapshaper yet. May you open a support ticket (https://aescripts.com/contact/) and attach some of the files that wont work? Maybe I can help you. 

Cheers
    Markus
  • Finally we fixed the non-saving-preferences-bug that a few of you guys had! Just download v1.082!

Cheers
    Markus
  • Hi Marcus,

I'm having trouble keeping the right detailing when zooming through several levels. Finalizing will bring an amount of details for a certain level or two, whereas the rest are pixelated.
    I bypass it by saving a few projects for a zoom, breaking it down to individual exports. It seems as if keyframes that are too "far" from each other cause this.
    Can you help with this?

Thanks for the software!
  • Hey loir, may you please open a support ticket and attach the project? Guess thats the fastest way to figure out whats wrong.
    cheers
    markus
  • Hello,

Silly question maybe, but are these maps considered Public Domain once made in After Effects?  The reason I ask is because I may purchase this plug-in to speed up my workflow.  I create screen graphics for a show on network TV and graphics I delivered have to be all clear of any copyright/terms of use, etc. issues.  

Thank you.

Tom
  • Hey Tom, all the imagery-services that are set up as a default in GEOlayers are currently usable free of charge for broadcast as long as maps are attributed.

If you want to get rid of attribution you need to get in touch with the company that provide the imagery. GEOlayers is just the tool helping you to work with it. We do not claim any ownership or license for the imagery you aquire with this software.

Hope that helps!

Markus

• Hello,
    Is there a way to change the center of the map? For example, can I center the map in Japan? Right now, if I want to look at Japan and zoom back out, I see the edge of the world map on the right. 

Thank you. 

• Hello,
    Is there a way to change the center of the map? For example, can I center the map in Japan? Right now, if I want to look at Japan and zoom back out, I see the edge of the world map on the right. 

Thank you. 
    Hi Sam,
    unfortunately not! We're working on a solution that would repeat the map on X-Axis. But this is not going to be available within the next updates, sorry!
    Cheers
    Markus
  • Hi,
    Trying to recreate your Mir demo but the NASA height map is not downloading? Just getting a black layer for that, any ideas?
  • Hi,
    Trying to recreate your Mir demo but the NASA height map is not downloading? Just getting a black layer for that, any ideas?
    Hi Derek,

the server works fine at the moment. Make sure you have the actual version of GEOlayers. (1.082  (Current version)  -  Oct 27, 2015)

Cheers
    Nico

• Hi first let me thank you for making such an awesome plug-in, Geo-Layers has drastically improved my workflow when it comes to making maps. The only setback is the lack of control of the different elements on the map that fade on automatically when zooming in.

Is there anyway to omit the roads when zooming in (or just in general)? The people I'm working with would really like the map I'm working on to not have a huge web of roads since it's kind of distracting.

Thanks,
    Dwayne
  • Hey Dwayne,

This depends on the Server profile you're using. The default profiles can't be manipulated in this way. You could either dig a bit deeper to mapbox where you can style your maps how you want them (Note that only Mapbox Classic is supported at the Moment) Or what is the easiest way. Have a look at the stamen mapstack. There you can create mapstyles without using any streets. 

Cheers
    Markus
  • Hi Markus,

I've just downloaded GeoLayers to try it out, and there seems to be a bug in the way the UI Panel is being rendered.  I can't see the Finalise, Preferences or Help icons, even when I resize the window.  I've recorded a short screen capture to demonstrate this:  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1388508/geolayers-panelbug.mp4

I'm on Windows 7, and have the same problem in AE CC2014 and CC2015.

Any ideas what's causing this?  I'd really like to use GEOLayers on a job this week so a quick response would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Phil
  • Hi Phil,

Guess you have a high dpi display... GEOlayers should ask you weather to use fixed window sizes du to this bug in AE on startup. Just click "fixed" there.  If you already checked "my panel looks good, don't show this again" You'll need to remove you prefs file: 
    "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Aescripts\GEOlayers\%username%_1_0userProfiles.txt"

Cheers
    Markus
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions