• it is not compatible with CS5.5... I got misinformed
  • Hi Jeffrey,

Yes Polyline is running with CS5.5 but not with CS5.
    If you are having issue with the plugin, please open a support ticket here: www.aescripts.com/contact/

Cheers.
  • How do I control timing of the reveal? I get very long or very short. Doesn't seem to be linked to keyframes on null position.Thanks
  • I keep getting this error :  After Effects Warning : Expressions disabled as a result of errors.  

2 Expression errors : 
    1) Error at line 8 in property "mask path" of layer 2 (segment 2) in comp "Path Precomp."
    1) Error at line 8 in property "mask path" of layer 1 (segment 1) in comp "Path Precomp."

What can i do to fix this ?
  • How do I control timing of the reveal? I get very long or very short. Doesn't seem to be linked to keyframes on null position.Thanks
    Best practice is to create your own by applying a linear wipe in the "path precomp". You'ill have a lot more control on your reveal.
    Hope this help!
    Cheers.
    Val.
  • I keep getting this error :  After Effects Warning : Expressions disabled as a result of errors.  

2 Expression errors : 
    1) Error at line 8 in property "mask path" of layer 2 (segment 2) in comp "Path Precomp."
    1) Error at line 8 in property "mask path" of layer 1 (segment 1) in comp "Path Precomp."

What can i do to fix this ?
    Hi Glen,
    Please open a ticket here: www.aescripts.com/contact/ with a minimal version of your project.

Cheers.
  • Is this compatible with CC14? Thanks
  • Polyline is of course compatible CC2014.
    Cheers
  • I am going through the tutorial and have a few questions about the end. When I go to make a star, when I add the final null and link every-other-one to the new null, my segments immediately go out of wack and do not allow me to scale to shape a star. I must be doing something wrong, but although I've repeated my steps several times I always get that last step wrong.
    Also, I notice, like on the star, you don't also add "reveal animation" when you create a Polyline, Can one change settings, and hit the "Create" button again say, after changing the Color Theme, or changing to "Reveal Animation? I get errors when I try to do that.
    After I solve these issues, I intend to go on and copy what you do in the short demo. I wish you add other tutorials--like adding pictures and combining them with lines and art over time. This is a very intriguing plug in and I'm sure you've thought of a lot of neat effects beyond what you've shown so far.
    Thank you,
  • Hi Lawrence,
    "when I add the final null and link every-other-one to the new null"
    You don't need to do anything special when you want to create a closed shape, just select the Closed Path option and Polyline will do the rest.
    If you still have problems, please open a support ticket, and send us your aep so we can see what's going on.
    Cheers,
    Charles
  • Hi Charles, Thank you for getting back to me. I think I got it working. But still not exactly clear once one invokes part of Polyline, say close--you can't go back and change the color gradient, for example and re-Polyline?... or then decide to  turn on reveal Animation and re-Polyline?
    It seems like I need to plan ahead, is that so?

Thanks,
    I'd still love more examples, but I'm starting to get the hang of it.
  • Generally it's best to think a bit of what you'd like to achieve before actually creating it. Some parameters can be changed after creating the polyline (e.g., Width, Material Options), others require Undo+Change params+Create (e.g., Color Theme, Closed Path, Reveal Animation).
  • Thanks,
    I'd still love more examples, but I'm starting to get the hang of it.
    Our friends from Flashback japan did their own demo with other exemple, check out their website: http://www.flashbackj.com/aescripts/polyline/

• Thank you for the head's up. I never would have found these tuts on my own. And I surprisingly got a lot out of them both. "Uprez Factor", for one was not covered with the release tutorial but here it is. Also how and when he hits the "Create" button is interesting. I still think it would behoove the community and probably even product sales if more and more extensive tutorials on Polyline would be produced. An explanation of "Corner Joint" choices ... what the top numbered layers represent ...as verses the bottom segments. There is so much that could help the new Polyliine user--if only revealed by its developer.
    Here's hoping. And thanks again.
  • Maybe reading the documentation could help? ;)
    We do believe tutorial won't do the whole thing. If you want to use a tool you need to try it. But maybe we are wrong. Maybe we don't like making tutorial. :)

Cheers.
    Val.
  • Thanks,
    The documentation does help a lot. Not sure how I overlooked it, but I did.
    Much appreciated.
  • Its not working with cs6 ????? Please Help
    the Segmeant not show 
  • Same here - I downloaded the trial version. I can work in draft mode but as soon as I switch to Adaptive Res or Final, all segments disappear. Is this a function of the trial version or is there an issue with CS6 compatibility?

Follow up: The above is repeatable using Classic 3D Renderer in Comp Settings. Switching to Ray-traced 3D renderer seems to work. Does the Classic 3D renderer not work with PL in CS6?
  • Yes, there is a CC Power Pin bug in CS6 which prevents 3D layers to be visible, but it has been fixed in this update (11.0.3).
    Alternatively, you can select ADBE Corner Pin for the Corner Joint parameter (instead of the default CC Power Pin).

Charles
  • Hello, there.

I got quite excited with Polyline, as I have a project coming where I'll need to animate different color bands in 3d space. It looked perfect, but the problem with Polyline, though, is that it does not use the bezier information from the paths used to control its bands. As the the whole event identity is based on curved color bands, that's not a detail I can ignore. Is there any way at all (including expressions) to make my bands curved? If not, would you know of any plugin that does the job?
  • Hello, there.

I got quite excited with Polyline, as I have a project coming where I'll need to animate different color bands in 3d space. It looked perfect, but the problem with Polyline, though, is that it does not use the bezier information from the paths used to control its bands. As the the whole event identity is based on curved color bands, that's not a detail I can ignore. Is there any way at all (including expressions) to make my bands curved? If not, would you know of any plugin that does the job?
    Hi Bruno,

There's no way to make curves in Polyline. And I don't know any plugin that offer that feature.

Val.
  • can the lines be converted in smooth round lines?
  • can the lines be converted in smooth round lines?
    As specified just above, no smooth or curved lines :)
    You can still try to put a lot of small steps to recreate a look alike curved/smooth line but the product is NOT design to handle this.

Cheers.
    Val
  • Hi,

I am using your useful plugin in a project animating with a wiggle expression in the position of the null layer. The problem is that using high values of amplitude, 500, sometimes I get unpredictable results going up to 30000 in some of the four corners (corner pin effect).

Is there any way to limit the values that your plugin uses making the four corner pin?, with a clamp expression or maths?

• Hi Antonio,

Could you please open a support ticket: www.aescripts.com/contact/

Cheers.
    Val
  • Obviously you need kinda complex scene to get over 100 points... And you could obviously do multiple Polylines to increase the amount of "points" used to create what ever your creating. Just as a question, what is the reason for 100 points limit? Shouldnt it just warn the user and ask if he's sure about continuing. I ran into this as I tried to bake motionpaths into keyframes so Polyline could create smoother curves :D but I ran into the 100 point limit. At the moment I dont see a case where I would need more than 100 points, but I just tested the Plugin to see what it can do. Maybe in future I will run into a situation where I would hope that Polyline would go beyond 100 points :)
  • Polyline is not intend to create curve or smooth path... That's why it's called Polyline and not Smooth Curves :)

• Polyline is not intend to create curve or smooth path... That's why it's called Polyline and not Smooth Curves :)

My main point wasnt the smooth curves ;) but the restriction of 100 points. My point was asking about why the point amount is limited to 100? It's a good plug-in as it is, but just wondering.
  • Hi Miika,
    The limitation on the number of segments is somewhat arbitrary, it's just to prevent AE from freezing if the user throws zillions of keyframes into Polyline.
    Cheers,
    Charles
  • If you get issue with Polyline and Adobe CC2019

You have to turn the expression engine to the legacy one.
    To do this follow those instructions:
    1-click on "project settings"
    2-choose the Expressions tab
    3-change the Engine to "Legacy ExtendScript"
    4-Click "ok".

• AE CC2020 compatibility?
  • Polyline is simply broken with the latest After-Effect version 2020. Nothing seems to work as it should even after reverting to Legacy extended script in AE file preferences.  I bought the plug-in because I needed the kind of ribbons it creates, and I needed it fast. I have waste an entire night of work trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. But it's not me, it's the plug-in ! I now ask for a refund please. You should really keep your products up to date if you sell them. 
  • Willing to purchase but I see that AE 2020 is not compatible. Also what Alain Ostiguy said really makes me not want to buy right now. Any plans to update this plug in? 
  • Willing to purchase but I see that AE 2020 is not compatible. Also what Alain Ostiguy said really makes me not want to buy right now. Any plans to update this plug in? 
    Polyline still works in AE CC 2020 but you have to set the Expression Engine to Legacy Extendscript in the project settings.

Cheers,
    Charles
  • Thank you for the Expressions tip. Works like a charm in 2020.

• Question, how do you make the whole thing rotate? 
    In your promo video from 0:08 seconds to 0:22 seconds you have a shape that first reveals itself but also orbits/rotates in the Y-axis. 
    Couldn't really figure it out trough the tutorial or documentation. 

Works like a charm in AE CC 2021 btw! :-)
  • Hi Dennis,
    You have to tweak the X Rotation of each segments.

Cheers.
    Val
    Question, how do you make the whole thing rotate? 
    In your promo video from 0:08 seconds to 0:22 seconds you have a shape that first reveals itself but also orbits/rotates in the Y-axis. 
    Couldn't really figure it out trough the tutorial or documentation. 

Works like a charm in AE CC 2021 btw! :-)

• Doesn't work on the latest AE 2022. I also tried on 2021 gives loads of syntax errors of the script. to be exact it gives 24 errors. Did everything as per tutorial, can't even do three point lines. 
    Purchased the script for a quick turnaround project, now wasted almost $60.00 and still at point 0. 

Can I get a refund???

• Hi Petras,
    You can get a refund or read the post above (mentioned on the product page)

You have to set the Expression Engine to Legacy Extendscript in the project settings.

If you still want a refund, open a support ticket.
    Cheers
    Val
    Doesn't work on the latest AE 2022. I also tried on 2021 gives loads of syntax errors of the script. to be exact it gives 24 errors. Did everything as per tutorial, can't even do three point lines. 
    Purchased the script for a quick turnaround project, now wasted almost $60.00 and still at point 0. 

Can I get a refund???

• Are there any plans for Polyline 2 in the horizon? 

If there is, here's an idea:
    -Repeater, with ability to offset the copies and offset the texture somehow in time or in position etc.

• Hi Miika

We don't plan to make further development on this product.

Cheers
    Val.
  • Hi Miika

Cheers
    Val.
    Okay. I guess making this compatible with new Javascript based system is also out of the window.
  • Yes
    Hi Miika

Cheers
    Val.
    Okay. I guess making this compatible with new Javascript based system is also out of the window.