Paint & Stick
  • I am using Cinema 4D R13 and the exporter seems to work fine. Are there known issues with it not working properly in R13, or was R13 just not tested?
  • I've informed aescripts on your pricing questions, and we should have a response shortly. As for R13, we use code for some object types that is only available in R14 or later. You will likely run into some problems using the c4d Paint & Stick exporter in R13, although admittedly I have never tested with it. I'd recommend R16 or R17, where the bulk of our testing has been done. I have spoken with the developer about R13 and I believe there will be many cases in which the paint will not actually stick from an R13 render, even if the pass looks correct at a glance.
  • Have you considered contacting VideoCopilot re a "sticky" plugin/output from Element 3D?
  • Have you considered contacting VideoCopilot re a "sticky" plugin/output from Element 3D?
    No promises, but we've been looking into ways to make this possible. Stay tuned...
  • Awesome plugin!
    Any chance for sticky support for Blender 3D?
  • Awesome plugin!
    Any chance for sticky support for Blender 3D?
    We currently have no plans to support blender, but if there was a demand for it, we'd certainly consider it. 

We've created a video that shows exactly how the pass is made (with Maya as a reference), but we're hoping it should be enough info for others to create their own passes in other 3D apps.

Here's the video: https://aescripts.com/knowledgebase/index/view/faq/paint-and-stick/#Different3Dpackage

Please take a look. I myself don't use blender, but maybe these tools are already available in it. Perhaps we should reach out to the Blender team.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Paint & Stick Product Manager
  • Any compatibility w Element 3D? 
  • Any compatibility w Element 3D? 
    We don't yet support Element, but we do have a workaround that will allow you to paint on element models, one at a time. You have to put a Red Green UV ramp into the model's material, then paint on that. Then copy and Paste the Paint & Stick Effect to that Red Green UV ramp, and put that into the Element model's texture channel.

We don't know exactly when we'll be able to support Element, but it's high on our priority list.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • hello, is there a tutorial on how to install ?
  • hello, is there a tutorial on how to install ?
    There is not, however if you download the installer, you just have to double click the installer for whichever operating system you're using, and it will guide you through. The two installers are located in the operating system folders. 

Have you had trouble with downloading or installing?

Cheers,
    Chris
    installer locations.png
    1400 x 440 - 137K
  • Hi!
    I was just wondering if the compatibility with Photoshop brushes includes Kyle T Webster's natural media brushes.
    He seems to use a combination of brushes and tool presets in PSD to get really good results.
    Thanks!
  • Hi!
    I was just wondering if the compatibility with Photoshop brushes includes Kyle T Webster's natural media brushes.
    He seems to use a combination of brushes and tool presets in PSD to get really good results.
    Thanks!
    I just downloaded Kyle Webster's brushes to double check this. Our brush exporter looks at the ABR file, and is able to extract the image to a PNG. It does not take any other attributes than the texture of the brush itself. It also only imports brushes 500x500px and under. In short, we do not directly support all the features of Kyle Webster's brushes, however I believe if you could find the ABR files of his brushes, those could be brought into Paint & Stick.
    At the moment, I'm a little bit stumped as to where he's sourcing the ABR files from. I'm going to reach out to Kyle and see if he can shed some light on this, I think it would be awesome for everyone if we could make this work. I have only been testing with his brushes for 20-30 minutes, but I'm already in love with them.
  • Hey, Chris!

Happy New Year, sir! This is great script!

I wanted to ask you quickly....

...I'm new to frame by frame animation and was wondering, how does this differ (or beat) Photoshop's frame by frame video animation? I have a lot of artist brushes in Photoshop that are nice and realistic when painting in Photoshop. I'd be afraid the results wouldn't come over to After Effects since the brush files are .png files.

Thanks in advance!
    Peter Baker

• Hey, Chris!

Happy New Year, sir! This is great script!

I wanted to ask you quickly ....

...I'm new to frame by frame animation and was wondering, how does this differ (or beat) Photoshop's frame by frame video animation? I have a lot of artist brushes in Photoshop that are nice and realistic when painting in Photoshop. I'd be afraid the results wouldn't come over to After Effects since the brush files are .png files.

Thanks in advance!
    Peter Baker

The biggest advantage we have over animating in Photoshop is that After Effects is built purely for animation, so everything is a lot more seamless. Playback in After Effects is very fast and smooth, whereas I've heard some users complain that Photoshop playback isn't always in real time. After Effects also has a great keyframe system, which makes timing and altering animation very quick. You can also use all of the After Effects effects and transforms, which give it a huge advantage over Photoshop. Most users would say Onion Skin is the main reason they'd rather work in Paint & Stick/Ae than in Photoshop, because the ability to see your nearby frames makes it so much easier to draw your current frame correctly.
    Now as for the translation from Photoshop Brushes to PNGs for Paint & Stick. There are some limitations. Right now, ABR files are converted to PNG, however we do not bring the other brush attributes along in the conversion. Flow, Opacity, Size, Angle, Hardness, Roundness, and Alpha are available in Paint & Stick, however you'd have to punch those in manually. (We're working on matching the brushes more accurately, no word on when we'll have something to show). We do offer full color brushes however, which Photoshop doesn't.
    I'd recommend downloading the free demo, which also includes the Photoshop brush conversion script, and roughing out an animation to see if you like it!

• Hi!
    Thanks!
    I just downloaded Kyle Webster's brushes to double check this. Our brush exporter looks at the ABR file, and is able to extract the image to a PNG. It does not take any other attributes than the texture of the brush itself. It also only imports brushes 500x500px and under. In short, we do not directly support all the features of Kyle Webster's brushes, however I believe if you could find the ABR files of his brushes, those could be brought into Paint & Stick.
    At the moment, I'm a little bit stumped as to where he's sourcing the ABR files from. I'm going to reach out to Kyle and see if he can shed some light on this, I think it would be awesome for everyone if we could make this work. I have only been testing with his brushes for 20-30 minutes, but I'm already in love with them.
    Yes! They're awesome. I've been using them all the time.
    Thanks for the quick reply. It would be so cool if you guys can make this happen.
  • Yes! They're awesome. I've been using them all the time.
    Thanks for the quick reply. It would be so cool if you guys can make this happen.
    I think so too! We'll do our best.
  • I just wanted to start off by saying that this is a great addition to AE.  I'm stoked to be able to work directly in AE with my other animated elements.  I am running into one problem that is a bit of a show stopper for me.  Whenever I draw my first stroke on a frame using my Wacom tablet, the first part of the stroke draws on at the full diameter of the brush.  Once the pen is moving, then it responds correctly to the pressure of the pen.  If I place several strokes on one frame, the tendency for it to happens decreases.

Here is an image to illustrate the problem.  All my strokes start with a large circle. 

Please let me know if there is anything that I can do to eliminate the problem.  Thank you for your time.

Keivn
  • I just wanted to start off by saying that this is a great addition to AE.  I'm stoked to be able to work directly in AE with my other animated elements.  I am running into one problem that is a bit of a show stopper for me.  Whenever I draw my first stroke on a frame using my Wacom tablet, the first part of the stroke draws on at the full diameter of the brush.  Once the pen is moving, then it responds correctly to the pressure of the pen.  If I place several strokes on one frame, the tendency for it to happens decreases.

Here is an image to illustrate the problem.  All my strokes start with a large circle. 

Please let me know if there is anything that I can do to eliminate the problem.  Thank you for your time.

Keivn
    Which operating system are you on? And which version of After Effects? If you click After Effects/About After Effects it will list the exact build number.

I've seen some funny things happen with tablets. If you can, please try 3 things.
    1) restart your computer. We run a side application on Mac to handle mouse/tablet input, so the surest way to make sure that application is reset is to restart the computer.
    2) Set your Stroke Merge time to 1 second. This will eliminate the possibility of starting a new stroke while the previous is writing, which might be responsible for strange tablet input.
    3) Purge your disk cache. Paint & Stick's may slow down a bit when the disk cache is full. I have a gut feeling performance may effect the reliability of the tablet input.

Please let me know if this has any effect. We'll do our best to reproduce this issue, and fix it fast. This is a very high priority bug, especially if the 3 steps above have no effect on the problem.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Thank you for the quick response.  I'm running AE version 13.6.1.6 on Windows 8.1.  I have the same problem occurring on two different machines using he same OS and AE version (two different Wacom tablets).  I have tried all the recommended remedies without success.  I can perform a screen capture if you need to see what's going on in more detail.  Please let me know what else I can do to help find the cause.  Thanks again.

Kevin
  • Thank you for the quick response.  I'm running AE version 13.6.1.6 on Windows 8.1.  I have the same problem occurring on two different machines using he same OS and AE version (two different Wacom tablets).  I have tried all the recommended remedies without success.  I can perform a screen capture if you need to see what's going on in more detail.  Please let me know what else I can do to help find the cause.  Thanks again.

Kevin
    Yes a screen capture would be very helpful as well as verifying the version of your Wacom drivers. Please open a support ticket to submit this info. Thanks

Kevin
    No screen cap necessary Kevin, I'm able to reproduce it on my end, we're working on it now. I can't give an exact estimate of when it'll be fixed, but ASAP.

For a workaround, I noticed if you hover the pen as close to the tablet as you can, without actually touching it for about a second before gently pressing down, it won't happen. Even after changing frames. If you hold your pen very close to the tablet, and contact lightly, you won't get that big spot.

Now obviously that's not a proper solution, but maybe it can help you for the next week or two while we find out and fix what's causing it. I think the reason I never saw this bug in testing is because I keep my hand very close to the tablet the whole time, and use the tablet buttons to change frames, so the pen never breaks communication with the tablet.

Thanks for your help finding this issue! 

Cheers,
    Chris
  • So glad to hear Chris.  I'm looking forward to the update.  Thank you for jumping on this.  I'll create a shortcut on my tablet to advance to the next frame as well to help eliminate the issue.
  • Where's the export tool for exporting Photoshop brushes?

Thanks,
    Peter 
  • It's under File/scripts. Then you just choose the folder with the ABR photoshop brushes, then choose an empty folder for their destination to be converted to PNGs.

Here's a video that shows a walkthrough of how to grab those brush textures. 
    https://aescripts.com/knowledgebase/index/view/faq/paint-and-stick/#Scripts

Please keep in mind that this script converts the textures, however does not take other attributes such as brush spacing, so you'll have to enter those manually. This is something a lot of other users are requesting, so we'll be working on making it more automated very soon.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Yep, that worked! Thanks so much!
  • What happens if I buy just the paint version and want to update to the paint and stick version? Do I have to pay the full amount for plugin again?

Thanks.
    David
  • What happens if I buy just the paint version and want to update to the paint and stick version? Do I have to pay the full amount for plugin again?

Thanks.
    David
    You can upgrade to a full license at any time for the price difference. Full details here: https://aescripts.com/paint-and-stick/#upgrade-notice
  • Got it last night and had a play around today, it was really simple to use, even managed to get the drawing into Particular pretty easily with quick renders. The possibilities of this plugin are incredible. With using the Paint bucket it really speeds up the process too. 
  • Got it last night and had a play around today, it was really simple to use, even managed to get the drawing into Particular pretty easily with quick renders. The possibilities of this plugin are incredible. With using the Paint bucket it really speeds up the process too. 
    Glad to hear! Any feedback and feature requests are welcome. We're also working on some new tools to make filling easier and faster. Keep an eye out for updates.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • This is a must have plugin! One of my favorite products by far! 
  • This is a must have plugin! One of my favorite products by far! 
    Thanks! It's a plugin, not a script by the way ;)
  • Hello and thanx for this beautiful plug!

I bought the Stick-only version and using it on Windows 7 and AE CS6.
    There's a big problem about the watermark, if I inadvertently click on a stick tool, the plug puts the watermark on but there's no way to get rid of it and I loose all the work done.

Thanx again.

Francesco

• Hi,

A got a problem retaining some work I already did:

I changed my frame location folder and copied the files to the new location. 
    Now I can relink the frame files in after effect and set the new location in the effect instance, but it doesn't seem to work.
    The keyframes are still there, but nothing is showing up.

Is there a solution for this?

Thanks a lot!

• Hello and thanx for this beautiful plug!

I bought the Stick-only version and using it on Windows 7 and AE CS6.
    There's a big problem about the watermark, if I inadvertently click on a stick tool, the plug puts the watermark on but there's no way to get rid of it and I loose all the work done.

Thanx again.

Francesco

You can actually remove that watermark. There are two ways-
    One, press the delete all glue button. That will remove all glue. Then the watermark will still be present, BUT if you just draw a new frame, Paint & Stick will check to see if glue still exists, then when it doesn't, the watermark will be deleted.

To see which icon is the "delete all glue" button, check here: https://aescripts.com/knowledgebase/index/view/faq/paint-and-stick/#GettingStartedWithPaint

Another way to remove the watermark:,You can create a new solid with a new Paint & Stick effect on it. Then copy and paste the keyframes from the previous Paint & Stick effect to the empty one. Glue will not be copied, and no watermark will be created on the new instance.

Please let me know if that fixes the issue! We think in the future we're going to move the Sticky tools away from the paint tools, because a lot of users, including myself, accidentally press the glue button when working quickly.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Hi,

A got a problem retaining some work I already did:

I changed my frame location folder and copied the files to the new location. 
    Now I can relink the frame files in after effect and set the new location in the effect instance, but it doesn't seem to work.
    The keyframes are still there, but nothing is showing up.

Is there a solution for this?

Thanks a lot!

I've never run into this problem, Paint & Stick should simply re-link when you right click, and "replace footage". As for choosing a new frame location, that just determines where the plugin writes new frames to, but doesn't effect where it reads, so resetting the frame location wouldn't effect re-linking in either a positive or negative way. Can you please submit a help ticket, including all the info on your operating system, version of Ae, etc... so I can attempt to reproduce this? If you submit a help ticket, you could also attach your collected project file, which can really help us figure out what's going on, and fix it.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Hi,
    Where can I download the maya MEL script?
  • Hi,
    Where can I download the maya MEL script?
    Please open a support ticket and we can hook you up.
  • Hi,

I've installed the beta version earlier, how can i uninstall it?  I can't find anything in my program files & features in windows 10. 

Thanks,
    Alex
  • Hi,

I've installed the beta version earlier, how can i uninstall it?  I can't find anything in my program files & features in windows 10. 

Thanks,
    Alex

Look for a folder called PaintAndStick in one of these directories (modify for your version of AE):

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CC 2015\Support Files\Plug-ins

Simply delete the folder and you should be all set.
  • there's no way to animate the brush strokes, right?
  • there's no way to animate the brush strokes, right?
    Our strokes are raster, like Photoshop, meaning each drawing is it's own image file. No stroke data is saved. So no, there is currently no way to animate brush strokes. We've had a lot of requests for that, we'd be curious what features you'd want in animatable brush strokes. Is it mostly just for the ability to animate on? Or do you want various parameters like brush diameter that can animate over time?
    Maybe we could find a way to implement it in the not-too-distant future.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • I don't get any real time display of my paint strokes.  I make a stroke, there is a pause, and then it shows up. The whole strokes pops on screen instead of being a delayed, laggy stroke.  Switching between Fast Preview and Full Render does not make any difference.

I'm using After Effects Release 2015.1 and I'm using a GTX 980 Ti on Windows 10.

In After Effects prefences, it states that the GTX 980 Ti isn't supported and may cause problems.  Could it be my graphics card, or is there something else I can try?

Thanks for reading!
  • I don't get any real time display of my paint strokes.  I make a stroke, there is a pause, and then it shows up. The whole strokes pops on screen instead of being a delayed, laggy stroke.  Switching between Fast Preview and Full Render does not make any difference.
    I'm using After Effects Release 2015.1 and I'm using a GTX 980 Ti on Windows 10.
    In After Effects prefences, it states that the GTX 980 Ti isn't supported and may cause problems.  Could it be my graphics card, or is there something else I can try?
    Thanks for reading!

I've seen a very similar, maybe the same bug in After Effects 2015.1, when Paint & Stick is not installed. Sometimes After Effects stops rendering, and doesn't show when objects are moved, or layers are turned on and off. To fix it, you have to purge the disk cache and memory, then restart After Effects. I'd try that first.

We do have some bugs with Paint in Stick when using non-square pixels, which may also cause lag. Can you try creating a new project file, 1920x1080, square pixels, and seeing if you can paint in that scene?

Our drawing process doesn't use the video card, so I don't
    think that could cause the problem, but I don't know exactly how After Effects handles all the data Paint & Stick feeds into it. Can you try a UI heavy effect, like "Liquify" or "Mesh Warp" to see if those behave as expected? If they do, it's likely a Paint & Stick issue, if they're also behaving strangely, it may be something on your computer. Please let us know, and submit a support ticket if you're still having problems.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Hi Chris, 

Thank you for the insanely quick reply.  It turns out I was trying to paint on a layer in 3D space.  If I had read the FAQ, I guess I would of known that's something that's not supported.  Is painting on a layer in 3D space something that will be supported eventually?
  • Hi Chris, 

Thank you for the insanely quick reply.  It turns out I was trying to paint on a layer in 3D space.  If I had read the FAQ, I guess I would of known that's something that's not supported.  Is painting on a layer in 3D space something that will be supported eventually?
    "Eventually" is the right word to describe it. :D. I certainly hope so.

We're going to do Photoshop style brush features first, such as scattering, and a few other fixes and highly requested features, but I would love to support 3D layers in After Effects too. I can't give an estimate of when we'll support it, but it's on our list.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Yes.  Make true 3d strokes in the same 3D space a la http://www.tiltbrush.com/#intro

'Would be an amazing addition to your already amazing product.

Scott
  • Yes.  Make true 3d strokes in the same 3D space a la http://www.tiltbrush.com/#intro

Scott
    Wondering what a real-world use would be for a 3D brush like that?
  • Motion graphics, theater productions, anything Disney ;) ...

Scott

Scott
    That demo is insanely cool...

I don't know if we'd be able to create 3D strokes with the Sticky Passes in After Effects. I mean, it could be done if we exported a camera, and a few more passes that gave us more data, but at that point we'd be looking at very heavy point clouds. The thing that makes Paint & Stick so lightweight is we take just the bare essential data to make paint stick, but not everything needed to truly represent a 3D scene. Something like "tiltbrush" would be easier to just build directly in C4D, where the 3D information is readily available, and the 3D space is so easy to navigate. If there was a 3D stroke plugin for C4D, then you could export a sticky pass of your 3D paint, and paint on your 3D paint in After Effects! Paint-ception...

But in all seriousness, we'd have to start from scratch to do something like this, so it's not likely doable on our end. Thanks for sharing though! It's cool to see what's out there!
  • I found a problem when using this plug-ins with UC-logic graphic tablet.The program crash when tab a pen.
    I 'm using AE CC2015 13.5.1
    I try to update to 13.6 but still same.
    Hope the problem will be solved soon.