pt_SSAKaraokeAnimator
  • Hi Umer, I don't have Windows 8 but just tested the latest version on Win 7 CS6 and it worked fine. Could you open a new support ticket for this  and I'll try my best to help.
  • Hi Paul, I'm having trouble with importing the KFN file into the script. Preview works great just can't get the KFN to load. Any suggestions?

thanks,
    Gabriel
  • Hi Gabriel, Is it a KFN file you created yourself? If not, it could be a protected KFN file that can only be used for playback and not reading / editing. If you open it in a text editor and can't see readable lyrics at the end then that's probably the case and it can't be imported.
    If it isn't that, open a support ticket explaining what happens when you try importing, along with a copy of the KFN file and I'll look into it.
  • Hi Gabriel, Is it a KFN file you created yourself? If not, it could be a protected KFN file that can only be used for playback and not reading / editing. If you open it in a text editor and can't see readable lyrics at the end then that's probably the case and it can't be imported.
    If it isn't that, open a support ticket explaining what happens when you try importing, along with a copy of the KFN file and I'll look into it.
    ok thanks for that info. I opened it in text edit and couldn't see any lyrics. Can you recommend any places i can buy editable KFN files? Or is there a workaround you can suggest?
    thanks for your help!
  • There used to be a Karafun editor where you could create your own karaoke subtitles but that has been discontinued. I think it's unlikely that you'll be able to buy editable versions due to copyright issues. My best suggestion would be for you to learn how to use a karaoke markup app like Aegisub and recreate your own versions of the subtitles manually in the SSA/ASS format which the script also imports.
  • Do You Know any site that has the Karafun program?  It would be most useful.  Thanks.  Or even a dropbox would work.
  • Hi Mark, the only thing I can suggest is that you do a google search for Karafun Studio or Karafun Editor. It may still be available to download from some software download sites.
  • Hi Paul,
    Thanks for this script, has been very useful for subtitling. But I'm having trouble with .ssa import where it is inconsistent matching the timecode in the .ssa file on the text layer. First line begins in .ssa at 0:00:08.22, but is inserted on text layer at 0:00:08:06, andf continues inconsistently until 0:00:50.00, which begins correctly at 0:00:50.00 on the text layer. I'm using v3.12 on AE 12.2.1.5, I have manually edited my file, it looks like this:

Original Script: Tomhughes
    Update Details: 
    ScriptType: v4.00
    Collisions: Normal
    PlayDepth: 0
    Timer: 100,0000

[V4 Styles]
    Format: Name, Fontname, Fontsize, PrimaryColour, SecondaryColour, TertiaryColour, BackColour, Bold, Italic, BorderStyle, Outline, Shadow, Alignment, MarginL, MarginR, MarginV, AlphaLevel, Encoding
    Style: Default,Arial,31,&HFFFFFF,&H00FFFF,&H000000,&H404040,0,0,1,0,2,2,20,20,20,255,0

[Events]
    Format: Marked, Start, End, Style, Name, MarginL, MarginR, MarginV, Effect, Text

Dialogue: {\k}0,0:00:08.22,0:00:10.19,BottomTitles,0000,0000,0000,Karaoke,,Our clubs give students 
    Dialogue: {\k}0,0:00:10.20,0:00:12.07,BottomTitles,0000,0000,0000,Karaoke,,the opportunity to make friends, 
    Dialogue: {\k}0,0:00:12.08,0:00:14.03,BottomTitles,0000,0000,0000,Karaoke,,to try something new and to gain 
    Dialogue: {\k}0,0:00:14.04,0:00:16.07,BottomTitles,0000,0000,0000,Karaoke,,valuable skills for their future careers.

Hope you know if there's something I can do to remedy this, thanks,
    Tom
  • Hi Tom, The 22 in your 8.22 example is in hundredths of seconds, so it's just under a eight and a quarter seconds, The 6 in 8.06 is in frames, so assuming your comp frame rate is somewhere between 24-30 fps that is also around eight and a quarter second. Does that help explain things?

• Hi Paul,
    Thanks for getting back to me, yes I understand now. Does this mean to accurately transcribe I have to give the .ssa file time with 1/100 of seconds? Is there a way for the script to read frames instead? Thanks
  • Hi Tom, the .ssa specification is for that part to be in 100ths/secs so that is the only way the script can read them. You could use a calculator to convert frames to 100ths/secs by divding frame by fps but obviously that's laborious. What is your workflow? Presumably you're not using something like Aegisub to mark up timings against a soundtrack as this wouldn't be an issue then? Are you using this for karaoke timings or just whole subtitles?
  • Hi Paul,
    Thanks, have edited timecode through excel, thankfully working at 25fps so was just a case of multiplying by 4. Thanks for your help, Tom
  • Thank you for the great script! It's going to save me a lot of time on this project. I'm also having trouble with the line return causing the ball to go back horizontally instead of going off to the right and starting a with "new" ball from the left on the next line. In Aegisub I've tried /N and {\k0} at the ends, but am not getting results. Is there another notation I'm missing?
  • It would be helpful if you could open a support ticket for this and attach your subtitle file and resulting project so I can see the issue. I hope to have an update out soon but would like to verify if it fixes your issue too.
  • Hey Paul! Question about the bouncing ball layer:  Im able to position my text layer toward the bottom-center of the composition so is there a way to move the entire bouncing ball layer toward that position as well without having to individually move each point on bouncing ball path?
  • Hi Brandyn, To do this you just need to parent the bouncing ball layer to the text layer before repositioning it. Reveal the Parent column in the Timeline if it isn't visible by right-clicking one of the Timeline column headers (like where it says "Source Name") and turning on the Parent column. Then drag from the Parent spiral icon on the bouncing ball layer to the Text layer, or just select the text layer from the bouncing ball layer's Parent pullldown menu.

Similarly, if you want to use a different layer as the bouncing ball graphic you can just parent your new layer to the bouncing ball layer before turning that layer off.
  • Hey Paul. I am testing your excellent script and I wonder if you can enter the "bouncing ball" into the screen when it starts each line and leave when this is complete, a bit like the old karaoke, type "Country Joe Mcdonald in Woodstock" . I do not know if it's something that can actually make the script. For me it would be very useful, since I have to replicate dozens of karaoke in a very specific style. A greeting, and congratulations for your great work.
  • Hi Luis, Do you mean that it should always leave the screen between lines rather than how it currently jumps backwards from the end of one line to the next? Having this option is already on my list of things to do, but I'm not sure when I'll get time to do it.

• With this plugin in After
    Effects 6 can I switch out the white ball for an image e.g. an eyeball (in jpg, gif, png etc? Help
    please.
  • Also, I've imported Karaoke words + bounce route into AE6
    but I don't seem to be able to easily drag the bouncing track down to the
    bottom of the page as it selecting and dragging only moves a few points and when I try to manually
    move the ball path points individually it messes the timing up big time! 
    Help please.
  • Hi Daniel, To replace the bouncing ball with some different footage, just parent the new image to the bouncing ball layer, position it so it's in the same place, then turn off the original bouncing ball layer.

The best options for moving everything without messing up any keyframes would be to either place the karaoke comp into another comp and reposition the layer there, or you could parent the bouncing ball layer to the karaoke layer (or parent all layers to a null) then reposition the parent (i.e. karaoke layer or null).
  • Hi Paul, 

Just wondering: If I use a aescripts program called textsyncr, which generates the words and the appropriate key frames, will I then be able to use your plug in to generate the bouncing ball/movement? Is your program just reading the keyframes generated or is there some particular coding that AE uses in the .ssa or .kfn files?

I already own textsyncr so keen to use programs I'm familar with, not have to purchase and learn new ones for this particular job I'm working on... :)  Thanks in advance! 
  • Hi Paul ! thank you for your great works on your script. i really enjoy it !
    i actually have a question. Is that possible to put an effect over an animation presets ?
    i mean, i apply (for example) animation  "drop in", and i would like to add an affect like blur or something else to custom the effect,. Can you help me ? thank you very much
  • Hi Thomas,

Yes you can do that. You just need to create a new Animation Preset with your custom karaoke effect which you can create by modifying the existing Drop In preset. See the "Creating Presets Guide.pdf" which comes with the script for instructions on how to do this.

Paul
  • Hi there

I'm having trouble importing the .ass file into AE. It's telling me that "No karaoke times were found in the imported file".

What have I missed? I have clicked the karaoke button and times each work to the song then saved it. Is there a last step that I have missed?

Hope someone can help 
  • You're using something like Aegisub? Make sure you actually commit the word/syllable timings so the lines contain \k timing tags. I cover this briefly in the tutorial video.

• Thanks for your help with my last issue. I have another question... there are options for KFN to have 2 lines on the at once, is there a way to do that when using Aegisub?
  • It mentions in the help that you can use \n or \N in the body of the text for line returns.
  • Hi Paul

I'm having problems with wipe - Text crawl when importing an .ass file, after completing the import, the script creates a new comp with a "- Text Crawl" suffix, within the comp there is 1 text layer running position under the expression:

if (time < key(1).time) loop = loopIn("continue");
    else loop = loopOut("continue");
    loop;

The problem with this is the first part of the lyrics, they are not appearing (blank screen) and the last part speeds down so the wipe is no longer there...
    I would assume the script split layers evey time bulk text changes; as it would be easier to animate but the last layer has a couple of changes on text and there's no split

Am I missing something?

Thank you and great job on the plugin
  • Hi Diego,
    It's hard to say what the problem might be. If you open a support ticket and attach a copy of the resulting project along with the subtitle file, I'll take a look.
    Paul
  • Hi Paul
    I am really looking forward to use the script trial.Just a little  problem here:Whenever I click preview I get “HIT ME BABY I MORE TIME” and the effect is not applied to my imported ass file.What’s the deal?

• The preview is just a simple way to see what the animation will look like without needing to import a subtitle file. Use the Import Karaoke button to import your actual karaoke subtitle file.
  • Hi Paul, I've purchased your plugin and I like it. I am currently using the Fast Color Wipe preset on some crawling text. 

I would like to be more precise on the timings and have full syllables light up at the correct timings instead of wiping across. 

For example, if the word was "open", then instead of wiping across the letters, "op" would highlight and then "en". Is this possible? 

• Hi Matt, You can just use the first preset for that, Fast Highlight. It's got the built-in Preview to make it easy to quickly try out the different presets. Each syllable will be highlighted separately if they have been broken down with separate timings in the imported file.
  • Hey Paul how are you? Im trying to use the "text crawl" option, and when I import the .kfn I only see full lyrics on display without moving. Do you know what is happening? Thanks!
  • Also, I have a .kfn file with classic karaoke mode, when I make the import, that preset is gone, and it doesn't have lines preview anymore. any thoughts? or, do I have a way to see lines preview? 
  • Hi Franco, could you open a support ticket and attach copies of the KFN files along with the resulting projects. Also could you explain the second part about 'doesn't have the lines preview anymore' a bit more. I'm not entirely sure what you're describing.
  • Hi Paul, thanks for your tip on the Fast Highlight. That works great. Is it possible to make it so the already sung text stays highlighted? 

This would sort of a hybrid of Fast Color Wipe and Fast Highlight. 

Thanks,
    Matt
  • Paul, nevermind my last comment. I realized that Apply Before does this. 
  • Hi Paul, I am having a problem with timing. Upon importing the lyrics through After Effects, the timing is slightly off from what the tags are setup for in After Effects. 

I have a karaoke file all setup in Aegisub with all of the syllables timed out perfectly. The timing of the imported lyrics in After Effects starts out correct, but then drifts to be too early. 

By the end of the song, the timing of the lyrics is nearly 4s too early. 

At first, I thought this had to do with the audio file. But finally I cross-referenced the time codes of when a lyric would highlight in After Effects vs. its timing in Aegisub. 

For example, one of my lines is set to start in Aegisub at 2:31:72. But it is highlighting in After Effects at 2:27:22. I've double-check that all the clips are aligned properly to start at 0.  

Are there some limitations with fps settings that may be causing this? Or something else? 

I have my composition set to 30fps. 

Edit: Settings are Fast Highlight, Apply Before, Text Crawl

• Hi Matt, This sounds like a drop/non-drop frame timing issue, a mismatch between 29.97 and 30 fps frame rates somewhere. Maybe you should have your comp set to 29.97 before you do the import? But I guess the most important thing is that it syncs with the audio file which generally you'd expect to be correct in After Effects regardless of frame rate....that's more important than if the numbers are reading correctly which can be potentially misleading because of this frame rate discrepancy.

If it isn't syncing with the audio and is indeed drifting to be too early in AE, another option is simply applying a Timestretch to the resulting subtitle layer of 100.1%. Dividing between the drop / non-drop frame rates 29.97 / 30 = 99.9% 30 / 29.97 = 100.1% can give you the right stretch value depending on if it's drifting early / late.

Don't worry if you're confused by the whole 29.97 / 30 fps drop / non-drop stuff. You're not alone!

• Hi Paul, thanks so much for your quick response. I am on a time crunch to get these done and you saved my day. I tried changing fps to 29.97 but it had little effect. The Timestretch worked though! Had not considered that. 

I actually had to stretch it by 103%. Have not idea why it needed to be this high. 

Do you think this timing error could be attributed to variable rounding that happens while the script is processing?  
  • Hi, Paul.

I updated to the latest version of Ae, After Effects CC 2017.

Since then I have been unable to use the script.

When trying to re-enter the license, an error message pops up: 
    "Sorry, the license code is not valid."

Any suggestions?
  • Hi Alonzo,
    It's working ok for me in CC 2017. If you've ensured you have copy/pasted the code correctly, please open a support ticket and let us know what OS version you're running on.
    Paul
  • Hi Paul.

Plugin has been working really well - proved to be the biggest timesaver ever and I have since recommended it to others who also are amazed so thank you. One problem that has started occurring recently is when I create the output from the subtitles file the script seems to create two text layers. One is only small covering the first 20sec or so with a little overlap of the second text layer that then completes the rest of the song.

Do you have any ideas why it would just start doing this? I have attempted to test with blank comps and other subtitle files that in the past have worked flawlessly .

Any help would be appreciated.
  • Hi Christian, Glad to hear you like it. Regarding the multiple layers, it's hard for me to say without seeing the subtitle file and knowing what settings you were using. I did do some work to help in cases where timings overlap so it's likely that's the case here, or at least the start/end happen at essentially the same time. If you don't think it's that then you could always open support ticket and attach the subtitle file, screenshot of your Karaoke Animator UI settings and resulting AE project.

If it didn't happen in the past, perhaps you're importing with a lower comp frame rate which means those timings now hit the same frame when rounded? Like I said, it's hard to say without seeing anything. Does it matter especially if it creates multiple layers?

• Hi Luis, Do you mean that it should always leave the screen between lines rather than how it currently jumps backwards from the end of one line to the next? Having this option is already on my list of things to do, but I'm not sure when I'll get time to do it.

Is there a way to manually make the ball go offscreen? In my file, one of the lines causes the ball to go off-scren, while the rest float back over. What causes the lines to end off screen on the right? 
  • Hi Jordan, There isn't currently a way to control whether the ball leaves screen. It uses a combination of the distance it has to travel and the time before the next line of subtitles to balance things so it doesn't either whiz quickly off and on screen (small time gaps), or slowly move across the screen (long time gaps).
    I am working on an update that will give more control over this. I'm hoping I can get this out over the holidays now I have some free time.
  • Hey,

Great plugin Paul, thanks.
    I'm sure I'm being stupid but I can't seem to get the text to drop to multiple lines. It works on the preview but when importing from .ASS it puts it all on one line and off the edges of screen.

Cheers!

Sam
  • Hi Sam, If you open a support ticket and attach a copy of the subtitle file I'll take a look. I can't think of any obvious reason, assuming you have line returns in the subtitle file.