bq_Shape Layer Navigator
  • The only part of this that's working for me is Isolate. Nothing else does anything.
    AE v 13.5.1.48
    Yosemite 10.10.4
    Macbook Pro.
  • Hey John -- sorry to hear that. Couple of troubleshooting questions -- (sorry if they seem too obvious)
    - Do you have at least one shape layer selected when clicking a button?
    - After clicking a button, selected properties might not be visible. To show them, quickly tap SS. As a test please try selecting a shape layer, clicking "All Groups" and tapping "SS". Does this do anything?
    - Are any errors of any kind popping up or is it just that nothing is happening?

• It's a little hit & miss. SS was working. Then it wasn't. Now it is again.
    Some of the keys are working, such as selecting groups. Moving to first, mid, last.
    But I still can't select strokes, fills, etc ..

And no errors of any kind are popping up.
  • Very useful script-- all buttons working fine for me.
  • Really enjoying this incredibly useful script- thanks!
  • Thanks Yvette and Jason!

John, I'm messaging you to discuss this further.

• I tried uninstalling & re-installing. For some reason that seemed to work. I'm using Dropbox to sync scripts. No issues now. Thanks! Great script!
  • That's great, John! Thanks for the kudos!

• How does this compare to TranShape?
  • How does this compare to TranShape?
    Hey Navarro -- thanks for your interest!

I haven't personally used TransShape but from what I see it looks like it gives you the ability to control a single shape layer's properties from a dockable panel.

Shape Layer Navigator, on the other hand, is a group of tools that helps you access and manipulate properties on multiple shape layers. For example, if you want to select all stroke colors on multiple shape layers, or rename multiple shape groups quickly, or link multiple color properties on multiple layers to one color property. It's less focused on accessing a single layer's properties, and more focused on flexible access to multiple properties as needed.

I'm not sure if that fully answers your question, but I will definitely try TransShape and check out how it operates.
  • Hi, 
    I expected these functions to not only select certain properties but show them or solo them out too. (as it seems to do in the tutorial) 
    now it only shows the selected properties if you unfold manually. it still makes shape layers not very organised to navigate. 
    that's a pity. please include that in future versions. 
    thanks. 
    jan

• ok, i figured the 'ss' tapping. works fine now! thanks. 
  • ok, i figured the 'ss' tapping. works fine now! thanks. 
    Hey Jan -- Yes, unfortunately AE does not currently offer a proper way to "reveal" specific properties in the timeline via scripting. Hence the "SS" tapping solution. However, I am beta-testing some alternative methods, so who knows what will happen in subsequent versions!

Thanks for your interest!

-Rob
  • Hi there,

It doesn't work for me.

Does it work only with the english version of After-Effects? (i'm french).

I try to select the properties via bq_shape but it seems nothing happens in the timeline.

Same thing on CC2014 and CC2015 (last update).

OSX 10.9.5 / Macbook Pro Late 2013.

• Hi there,

It doesn't work for me.

Does it work only with the english version of After-Effects? (i'm french).

I try to select the properties via bq_shape but it seems nothing happens in the timeline.

Same thing on CC2014 and CC2015 (last update).

OSX 10.9.5 / Macbook Pro Late 2013.

Hey Fabien -- so sorry to hear you're having trouble with this.

There shouldn't be an issue with other language versions, so here's what I'd like you to try:
    - Select one shape layer with shapes in it
    - Click the "All Groups" button once without holding down any other keys
    - Quickly tap 'SS' on your keyboard. 

That should reveal all the shape groups inside of the shape layer. 
    If that doesn't work, let me know and I can direct message you and we can try another method of troubleshooting.

Best,
    Rob
  • Hey Fabien, I've sent you a private message to try and troubleshoot this with you.
  • Hey Fabien, I've sent you a private message to try and troubleshoot this with you.
    Hi Rob,

It seems to work now.

Sorry i didn't read your post.

Actually i think i didn't get how it worked but "the problem" is solved with your explanations.

Thank you !  ;)
  • Glad to hear! Enjoy! :)
  • Hi, great script and very usefull!
    There's just one thing that actually bothers me, is there a way to save the settings? Each time I open after effects, all my settings (like hiding some buttons or changing their disposition) are gone.

thanks
  • Hey Jules -- so sorry you're having this problem. The settings are supposed to save and carry over between sessions, but obviously something's not working properly. I'm going to direct message you and we'll get to the bottom of this.
  • Just bought this. All seems to be OK. But I have to ask, is there no way, in your coding wizardy, that you could add the "SS" to the commands that select properties but don't reveal them? It seems such a shame to have a navigator as excellent as this, but still have to ask EVERY TIME "well why can't I SEE all my group fill colors then?"; realize they HAVE been selected but aren't visible until SS gets tapped into the keyboard...

Many thanks
  • Hey Trevor -- thanks for your purchase! I hear ya, but unfortunately (and annoyingly) Adobe hasn't given us scripting support for showing/hiding properties, so at this time there's no real way to do this. Also, there's no way to trigger a keyboard press with AE scripting, so I can't make it  "SS" for you. I worked really hard trying to come up with a workaround for this, but as of right now there's no clean way to do this. I will say that the more you use the "SS" thing, the more you get used to it. 

I'm still poking around for a workaround for this, so if I figure one out, you'll be the first to know!
  • Hey Jules, I've just uploaded a new update that solves your problem, along with a couple of others. All preferences (which buttons are shown/hidden, button order, etc) are now saved between sessions. Thanks for pointing this out to me! 
    -Rob
  • Hey!

bq_Shape Layer Navigator

Unable to execute script at line 1. Unable to create temporary image file

... ...

• [Deleted User] said:

... ...

Bug Bug Bug Bug

Unable to execute script at line 1. Unable to create temporary image file

... ...

Hey Lee,

I'm sending you a private message to try and resolve this issue.

• Hey Rob

Thank you

• Hi,

Just bought it but I've the same problem: "Unable to execute script at line 1. Unable to create temporary image file.

Thx for your help

AE CS6 (in english)
    Osx 10.8.5 (in french)

Arno
  • Arno JEGU said:
    Hi,

Just bought it but I've the same problem: "Unable to execute script at line 1. Unable to create temporary image file.

Thx for your help

AE CS6 (in english)
    Osx 10.8.5 (in french)

Arno
    Hey Arno, so sorry about this issue. I'm direct messaging you now to resolve this.

Best,
    Rob
  • Hey everybody,

Version 1.2 has just been released. 

This version fixes the annoying "Unable to create temporary image file" Adobe bug that plagues some CS6 & earlier users, along with some other bug fixes.

Best,
    Rob
  • Hi Rob!

Just bought the script to try and combat a hefty project I'm working on for a client. Long story short, I'm working with 20+ files that contain dozens of shape layers that have been converted from Illustrator files and have lots and lots of merge paths. Is there a way to just select/isolate just this property within a shape layer to then delete? Maybe this script isn't what is needed but I've been wracking my brain on this for a couple of hours now, could potentially save me a couple of days of work.

I essentially just want to select a property that I search for (eg. 'Merge Paths 1', 'Group1')/

Thanks in advance!
  • Hi Rob!

Just bought the script to try and combat a hefty project I'm working on for a client. Long story short, I'm working with 20+ files that contain dozens of shape layers that have been converted from Illustrator files and have lots and lots of merge paths. Is there a way to just select/isolate just this property within a shape layer to then delete? Maybe this script isn't what is needed but I've been wracking my brain on this for a couple of hours now, could potentially save me a couple of days of work.

I essentially just want to select a property that I search for (eg. 'Merge Paths 1', 'Group1')/

Thanks in advance!
    Hey Tomas, 

I hear what you're saying -- yeah, this script does not currently let you select Merge Paths specifically, but being able to "search" properties and select them is a good idea, something I could add to a future script.

I can whip up some quick demo code for you to try if you want. I'll message you directly. 

-Rob
  • Hi! Is this compatible with CC 2017? THanks!
  • Hey Nowry -- yes this script is compatible with CC 2017. 

Best,
    Rob
  • Hi Rob

I might be doing something wrong, but when I click any of the options nothing in the timeline is highlighted or reduced to the desired selection. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but thought I would ask just in case. Thanks!
  • @Simon -- Oh no! Let's get to the bottom of this. I am messaging you directly to figure this out. 

Best,
    Rob
  • Hi Rob

I might be doing something wrong, but when I click any of the options nothing in the timeline is highlighted or reduced to the desired selection. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but thought I would ask just in case. Thanks!
    Hey Rob / Simon, Did you find out why this was happening? I believe it's happening to me also. When I click an option the shape layer doesn't drill down to the specific selection.
    I'm on a Mac Sierra 10.12.6 and After Effects 14.2.1.34
    Thanks

• Hi Bob!

I'm so sorry you're having this issue. Let me message you directly and we'll get to the bottom of this. 

Best,
    Rob
  • Hello I have installed the script into the script ui folder. But the buttons are not doing anything. I could really use this. Please Help. AE 2017.2 Version 14.2.1.34 
    Mac Pro (trash can)  OS X El Capitan 10.11.6
  • Hi there,

Is there a way to assign keyboard shortcuts to the buttons in bq_Shape Layer Navigator?

If not, would you consider implementing one?

Thanks.
  • Hello! Will this be updated to work with AE 2018? Thanks!
  • @TomMarquis -- I'm so sorry about this. I am contacting you directly to get to the bottom of this. 
  • @AlexNechifor -- Keyboard shortcuts are a great idea! Currently, you can't do that with this script. HOWEVER, I am currently working on a script that would allow for this. I will keep you updated!
  • @SharonPalkowetz -- I am currently working on the update for AE 2018. It should be up by the end of the year. 
  • Hey everybody, 

I just wanted to apologize for the delay in responding to some of you. My mother passed away unexpectedly in November and I had to take some time away for myself. I'm back now, and I'm currently working on updates to all of my scripts, as well as some new ones for the near future. Stay tuned! 

-Rob
  • Sorry to about your mom.  I know it's so very hard to lose a parent. I'm sure she is very proud of you.  Thanks for letting us know, and big hugs from Texas.
  • It would be awesome if this script allowed me to reverse the path direction of multiple paths simultaneously.

Currently, if I have all the paths selected, none of the buttons work with this property.