Joystick 'n Sliders
  • Cool script. Just bought it.

It would be cool if you would have little thumbnail reminding of the order the keyframes are throwed in. For an example little square with numbers from 1 to 5 showing the order.

Thanks! I'm not so much into character animation, but this is very useful for a lot of other "rigs" as said!
  • That is a good idea. It is described in the help menu, but a thumbnail would help too. For joysticks, your poses are in the following order: Origin, right, left, top, bottom.
  • Doesn't seem to work on Mask or Shape layer parameters.  Am I missing something?
  • That is correct Jon,
    Shape path vertices and Custom property types are not accessible via expressions, so they can't be controlled by Joysticks 'n Sliders. Look at the instructional pdf for a list of workarounds for this limitation. These include:
    • Using BAO Mask Avenger and binding your vertex nulls to J 'n S.
    • Using a stack of Reshape effects and binding their percentages to J 'n S.
    • Precomposing your animated mask and binding the time remapping to J 'n S.
  • That is correct Jon,
    Shape path vertices and Custom property types are not accessible via expressions, so they can't be controlled by Joysticks 'n Sliders. Look at the instructional pdf for a list of workarounds for this limitation. These include:
    • Using BAO Mask Avenger and binding your vertex nulls to J 'n S.
    • Using a stack of Reshape effects and binding their percentages to J 'n S.
    • Precomposing your animated mask and binding the time remapping to J 'n S.
    At one point I was looking for a script that could "overlap" keyframes. The first one that I found couldnt work with masks or shapes, the same issue as here. But then I found script called Overlap that is capable overlapping mask & shape keyframes. I have dozen of uses for Joysticks that dont need masks or shapes, but it would be kinda cool if you could control mask & shapes with this. If not possible, not possible :(
  • Yes, this has been a major sticking point with expressions for a long time. But you can do so much with deformers, shape layering, alpha mattes, and puppet pins as well as the workarounds listed.
    Bezier information can be used in expressions if it is being sampled apples to apples from one property to another from a particular point in time.
  • One thing that would/could supercharge this script would be the ability to have the joystick or the slider in other comp. This way I could have an subcomp that has a joystick/sliders in my maincomp. Obviously pulling this off might be a huge work... :D but that would make this script even more incredible. 
  • Have you used the Move to Parent Comp functions yet? It sounds to me like that's what you're describing. If you nest your comp that contains your joystick/sliders in another comp, you can move the controllers to that parent comp. Check out he tutorial video at 6:15
  • Have you used the Move to Parent Comp functions yet? It sounds to me like that's what you're describing. If you nest your comp that contains your joystick/sliders in another comp, you can move the controllers to that parent comp. Check out he tutorial video at 6:15
    Yeah! Thats just what I was talking about! The fastest script supercharge ever :)... Great!
  • I'm getting masks and shape vertices to work nicely in tandem with the Animo Script.  Joysticks 'n Sliders binds to it pretty well.
  • jon hayes said:
    I'm getting masks and shape vertices to work nicely in tandem with the Animo Script.  Joysticks 'n Sliders binds to it pretty well.
    Good to hear! I wasn't aware of that script before, but it looks like that is an example of sampling bezier information using expressions. I like that people are finding their own workarounds :)
  • Hello I auditioned with the joystick, but when I create new Joystick appears this message ..(No properties in your selected layers are ready to be connected to a joystick. Click the help button '?' for more information about setting up your joystick rig.)
  • This usually means you either don't have the correct layer selected when creating a joystick, or none of your selected layers have the necessary five successive keyframes starting at the first frame of your timeline. If you're still having problems, open a support ticket along with the .aep file your are having trouble with.
  • Great script! Will you be releasing any more tutorials? Would love more in depth training on this as it's quite complicated for me to grip.
  • If there is interest I could. In my tutorial, I go through some of my rig setups very quickly, and there is a lot of stuff happening with track mattes and geometric shape layers that could be helpful to point out. Any particular requests?
  • would this work with RubberHose?
  • I click Create new Joystick and the process seems to work, and new layer for the joystick is created. However, the box with the joystick control doesn't show up in my work area....am I missing something? In your tutorial it just pops right in the viewer ready to go. Not in mine. I've attached a screen grab of what it looks like after "creating" the joystick. Just small blue crosshair. 

Screen Shot 2016-02-26 at 3.47.56 PM.png
    976 x 560 - 15K
  • If there is interest I could. In my tutorial, I go through some of my rig setups very quickly, and there is a lot of stuff happening with track mattes and geometric shape layers that could be helpful to point out. Any particular requests?
    Yes, would love to see how you rigged your character as a tutorial. Could help eliminate some trail and error!
  • Dan Pratt said:
    I click Create new Joystick and the process seems to work, and new layer for the joystick is created. However, the box with the joystick control doesn't show up in my work area....am I missing something? In your tutorial it just pops right in the viewer ready to go. Not in mine. I've attached a screen grab of what it looks like after "creating" the joystick. Just small blue crosshair. 

This problem occurs when the script isn't correctly installed. You must copy both Joystick_n_Sliders.jsxbin and the folder Joysticks_n_Sliders_assets into your ScriptUI panels folder. The script is having problems calling the presets in that folder in order to create your controllers. Does that help?
  • would this work with RubberHose?
    Yes, it works very nicely with RubberHose. The arms and legs of the dancing hipster are built with RubberHose as well as the brim of his hat that bends when he looks up and down.
  • I'm massively interested in this, but want to know how to record motion. Do you just kayframe the joystick position? Or is there a way to record live a la Motion Sketch?
  • Yes, the ideal way to animate is to keyframe the joystick position. I have tested recording with Motion Sketch, and it works with some drawbacks: Since the joystick is parented to its origin, its default position is 0,0.So while sketching motion you must do it as if the top left corner of your stage is the origin. The second drawback is that your rig won't update live as you're animating. After Effects disables visual feedback so that it can record in realtime.
  • Character rigging workflow tutorial would be awesome! 
  • Hi, this is an awesome tool and I already start to love it. I'm running in Trial mode and I want to animate a character.

Everything worked fine until I wanted to use the Switch Template tool for the character's antena. I've followed the steps from the tutorial, but when I hit Bind the AE crashes.This is happening every time I do those steps.  I've made a screen capture: 

Also I get this error when I open the project and the script is ON by default.

"Unable to execute script at line 1. Unable to create temporary image file" 

You can also see another error in the video, unable to open the script or something. I'm running AE CS6.

I'm about the buy the script to use it in my animations but first I want to make sure it works properly. Look forward for a solution.

Thanks

• Thanks for showing me this! It's certainly not supposed to behave this way. It looks like you are using CS6 for this, correct? If I am unable to re-create this error, I may ask you to open up a support ticket and upload a sample AEP file for me.
    Ch Raz said:
    Hi, this is an awesome tool and I already start to love it. I'm running in Trial mode and I want to animate a character.

Everything worked fine until I wanted to use the Switch Template tool for the character's antena. I've followed the steps from the tutorial, but when I hit Bind the AE crashes.This is happening every time I do those steps.  I've made a screen capture: 

You can also see another error in the video, unable to open the script or something. I'm running AE CS6.

I'm about the buy the script to use it in my animations but first I want to make sure it works properly. Look forward for a solution.

Thanks

• So the solution to using masks with this is to buy another $150 script / plugin? I purchased this for that exact reason, this was a waste of 40 dollars.
  • I have made an update to Joystick 'n Sliders fixing a bug for CS6 users who were experiencing errors on launch and experiencing crashes using Switch Templates. Users should be able to re-download the product and copy/paste both the jsxbin file and the Joysticks_n_Sliders_assets foder into their ScriptUI Panels folder, overwriting the pre-existing files from the previous version.
    -Mike O

• Thanks for showing me this! It's certainly not supposed to behave this way. It looks like you are using CS6 for this, correct? If I am unable to re-create this error, I may ask you to open up a support ticket and upload a sample AEP file for me.
    Ch Raz said:
    Hi, this is an awesome tool and I already start to love it. I'm running in Trial mode and I want to animate a character.

Thanks

Ieei it works, thanks a lot for this fast update! I'm prepared to buy this amazing tool. Fake 3D characters here I come! :D
  • Hi! Bought your script and it is simply amazing! Three things :

First, there seems to be a bug when I try to put a UI slider in a parent comp. I delete the slider in the base comp, then put the null in the parent one ( which works ), but then, when I try to make a ui slider out of the parent null, it says "Please select properties of your slider null if you have one". Is this a bug or am I not making this correctly?

Second, is there a way to put the slider in the parent of a parent comp? Like more than one layer of parent? If I take a parent null and try to send it on the other level, it says "Please select one slider null". Any idea?

Third, I'd be very curious to see a tutorial about your detailed face rig! I dont really understand how you have multiple sliders for properties on one shape ( ex. LidLeft + LidRight + BothLids )

Thanks a lot!

• Hi Francis,
    This was a small bug I have fixed in the latest version(1.0.1). Though for any rigs you've made with version 1.0, any slider Nulls you have moved to a parent will require a manual fix.

In the parent comp where the Slider Null resides, make your layer comments visible by clicking the timeline context menu and selecting Colums/Comment. Your Slider Null's probably is "*slider controller ". Change that to "slider controller&%^*$%" and you should be up and running.

You should then be able to make your UI Sliders or move that Slider Null to its parent comp like you want. Sorry for the confusion! 
  • I can't seem to get UI Sliders "create" to work, I am presented with an error...

Any thoughts?

Warmest regards!

- Andrew

• What does the error say, and which version of After Effects are you running?
  • Hello I auditioned with the joystick, but when I create new Joystick appears this message ..(No properties in your selected layers are ready to be connected to a joystick. Click the help button '?' for more information about setting up your joystick rig.)

Hi,

Congratulation for your script :) But i've got the same problem of Damasio ! Exctly the same message of error when i click on "Create new Joystick".
    I must said that i'm currently with the demo version... is it the reason ?

I thank you :)

Hi,

Congratulation for your script :) But i've got the same problem of Damasio ! Exctly the same message of error when i click on "Create new Joystick".
    I must said that i'm currently with the demo version... is it the reason ?

I thank you :)

This usually means you either don't have the correct layer selected when creating a joystick, or none of your selected layers have the necessary five successive keyframes starting at the first frame of your timeline. If you're still having problems, open a support ticket along with the .aep file your are having trouble with.
  • I tank you for your answer Mike.

Everything is all write now ! I have worked on 5 secondes... not on 5 frame !! so this is why it can't work !:) 
    I'm confused and i thank you again !

I must said that even if you said it in the tutorial, it's pretty hard for someone who doesn't understand english to understand that the joysticks work with 5 FRAMES and not 5 (or more) secondes...
  • Glad you got it working. The trial period lasts two weeks. Take your time, read the instructions, and make sure it suits your needs before purchasing. Have fun!
  • This is a game changer. Thanks so much for developing this!!!
  • Can't find the way to animate the path of a shape layer. Any clues?
  • Can't find the way to animate the path of a shape layer. Any clues?
    I have just posted the latest update that now allows rigging of paths. Download the latest version, and replace the Joysticks_n_Sliders.jsxbin file in your ScriptUI folder, and watch the latest update video!
  • Hello, I download the script. I animate the layers like tutorail exactly. I know what is the layer properties but I create a new Joystick I receive this message  .(No properties in your selected layers areready to be connected to a joystick. Click the help button '?' for more information about setting up your joystick rig.) It is trial version 

• ok, I found the solution :). Every keyframe has one frame distance. 
  • Hi, 
    I installed the trial version but is showing this message, can anyone tell me what am I doing wrong ?

;Every keyframe has one frame distance!

• Hey Mike! So I downloaded the new version, and there seems to be a problem with creating the sliders. First, when I create a new slider, there are always 3 Slider Effects that are created ( Slider Control 1, Slider Control 2, Slider Control 3 ) while I only need one. Then, When I want to create a UI Slider from,  lets say, the Slider 3 (because it's the only one going through the full action), It creates a Ui Controller with the name Slider Control 3. 

But if I want to make another slider for another property, it will also create the same 3 controllers with the effect name Slider Control 1,2 and 3. Then, I can't create a proper UI slider for the second controller, because there are two Slider Control 3 and the expressions get mixed up! If I change the Slider Control 3 Effect name, it tells me there is an expression error ( and the slider doesn't work anymore )

Are you aware of this bug?

Thanks!
  • Hey Mike! So I downloaded the new version, and there seems to be a problem with creating the sliders. First, when I create a new slider, there are always 3 Slider Effects that are created ( Slider Control 1, Slider Control 2, Slider Control 3 ) while I only need one. Then, When I want to create a UI Slider from,  lets say, the Slider 3 (because it's the only one going through the full action), It creates a Ui Controller with the name Slider Control 3. 

But if I want to make another slider for another property, it will also create the same 3 controllers with the effect name Slider Control 1,2 and 3. Then, I can't create a proper UI slider for the second controller, because there are two Slider Control 3 and the expressions get mixed up! If I change the Slider Control 3 Effect name, it tells me there is an expression error ( and the slider doesn't work anymore )

Are you aware of this bug?

Thanks!
    Hi Francis,
    That sounds like very buggy behavior, but I can't reproduce it on my end. Can you open a support ticket for this? That will give me more information on what version of AE you're running, and you can upload an aep that is giving you this problem. Then I can test on my end and figure out what the problem is.
  • Is there any other obvious reason for getting the 'No properties in your layer are ready to be connected to a joystick'?  I've gotten the plugin to work on several occasions, but can't seem to figure out why it won't today.

I have five successive keyframes of frames 0 thru 4.  I started with the origin on zero, pasted the origin on the next frame and placed my leftmost position, then followed the steps through the next frames.  

Is there any common troubleshooting steps I should double-check?
  • Is there any other obvious reason for getting the 'No properties in your layer are ready to be connected to a joystick'?  I've gotten the plugin to work on several occasions, but can't seem to figure out why it won't today.

I have five successive keyframes of frames 0 thru 4.  I started with the origin on zero, pasted the origin on the next frame and placed my leftmost position, then followed the steps through the next frames.  

If you have five keyframes for the origin, right, left, up, and down poses, you should be all set. Make sure that any layers you want to rig to your joystick are selected in your timeline. The tool only looks at properties of selected layers for rigging. You may also want to make sure that your properties don't have any keyframes before frame 0. If you do, that will throw things off and J'n S won't rig your property. Also make sure your keyframes are snapped directly to timeline frames. If you'd had your keys spread out, then compressed them by alt-dragging the bunch, they may not be lined up correctly. Or if you had set your keys, then changed your comp's framerate, your keys will not line up either.

If you have five keyframes for the origin, right, left, up, and down poses, you should be all set. Make sure that any layers you want to rig to your joystick are selected in your timeline. The tool only looks at properties of selected layers for rigging. You may also want to make sure that your properties don't have any keyframes before frame 0. If you do, that will throw things off and J'n S won't rig your property. Also make sure your keyframes are snapped directly to timeline frames. If you'd had your keys spread out, then compressed them by alt-dragging the bunch, they may not be lined up correctly. Or if you had set your keys, then changed your comp's framerate, your keys will not line up either.
    There must be something in the AEP that is preventing it.  I can create a new project and create one easily, but I can't even create a joystick on a test box in this project.  Is there a way I could send it to you and see if you can see what may be preventing it?  The Joystick is a huge timesaver for the rig and I'd really love to sort it out.

There must be something in the AEP that is preventing it.  I can create a new project and create one easily, but I can't even create a joystick on a test box in this project.  Is there a way I could send it to you and see if you can see what may be preventing it?  The Joystick is a huge timesaver for the rig and I'd really love to sort it out.
    I'd like to figure it out too. Open up a support ticket and attach the file. I'll have a look at it over here.

I'd like to figure it out too. Open up a support ticket and attach the file. I'll have a look at it over here.
    I just submitted it. Thanks so much!  I'm sure it's just a malfunction on my part.
  • I've just updated Joysticks 'n Sliders to version 1.1.1! I discovered that properties were not able to rig to joysticks in comps set at certain frame rates. This bug has been fixed. Download this new version and replace the .jsxbin file with the one in your ScriptsUI folder!