Paint & Stick
  • I found a problem when using this plug-ins with UC-logic graphic tablet.The program crash when tab a pen.
    I 'm using AE CC2015 13.5.1
    I try to update to 13.6 but still same.
    Hope the problem will be solved soon.

Our team uses Wacom tablets, so we have never tested with UC-logic. We're going to discuss this issue, and see if there's anything we can do to support them. Thanks for letting us know! Any additional info you have would be great, such as which operating system you're on.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Paint & Stick Product Manager
  • I found a problem when using this plug-ins with UC-logic graphic tablet.The program crash when tab a pen.
    I 'm using AE CC2015 13.5.1
    I try to update to 13.6 but still same.
    Hope the problem will be solved soon.

Our team uses Wacom tablets, so we have never tested with UC-logic. We're going to discuss this issue, and see if there's anything we can do to support them. Thanks for letting us know! Any additional info you have would be great, such as which operating system you're on.

Cheers,
    Chris
    I use windows 10 and found problem.
    and I try to other computer that use windows 7 Professional, but problem still same.

• hi Chris,

Downloaded the demo version and tried out some stuff.

First thing I noticed is therre is no undoing a single brush stroke, only the entire frame can be undone but then all the work on that frame is lost, is this normal? Is there a work around?

have a nice day,
    untill now really love the plug

laak
  • hi Chris,

Downloaded the demo version and tried out some stuff.

First thing I noticed is therre is no undoing a single brush stroke, only the entire frame can be undone but then all the work on that frame is lost, is this normal? Is there a work around?

have a nice day,
    untill now really love the plug

laak
    You can undo a single brush stroke. We have a feature called "Stroke merge time" which will merge any number of strokes into a single undo step if they're all drawn within a short enough time between strokes. Our time by default is .3 seconds. You can set the "stroke merge time" to 0 if you'd like strokes to never merge, however there you may see an occasional hiccup when drawing. Check out the section here, which has a video showing the process:
    https://aescripts.com/knowledgebase/index/view/faq/paint-and-stick/#AdvancedSettings

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Hello,

Am enjoying it so far... Is there a "write on" option like you can use with the brush tool to record the drawing, but I would like to use the photoshop brushes I have imported.

Thanks,
    Eleanor
  • Hello,

Am enjoying it so far... Is there a "write on" option like you can use with the brush tool to record the drawing, but I would like to use the photoshop brushes I have imported.

Thanks,
    Eleanor
    We do not have a write-on option, we currently do not save any stroke data. Similarly to Photoshop, our image files are bitmap, meaning we only save the final image created, but no path information.
    There are some advantages and disadvantages. The advantages:
    If your brushes go offline, your paint will not disappear.
    Paint performance will never slow down when you add more paint to a full canvas. (Vector strokes can take up a ton of memory).
    The disadvantage is of course that you can't animate strokes.

We get a lot of requests for vector brushes, so users can write-on. We're very strongly considering adding it to the plug-in, it would just take a very long time because we've built our entire engine around being raster. Thank you for the feedback, we'll be sure to post to the main page if we are able to create this feature.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Jumping into Eleanor's question/comment, you don't have a write-on effect, but can you reveal an image with the mask brush? I tried and tried today but couldn't work it out. Could be a user error, but it never hurts to ask.

Thanks!
    Peter
  • Jumping into Eleanor's question/comment, you don't have a write-on effect, but can you reveal an image with the mask brush? I tried and tried today but couldn't work it out. Could be a user error, but it never hurts to ask.

Thanks!
    Peter
    The Matte brush only erases the layer, it does not reveal. However, there is a workaround. If you want to reveal your footage layer, place a solid above it. Then put Paint & Stick on the solid. Set the footage layer's matte mode to "Alpha matte". Then re-select the solid's Paint & Stick, and draw on the solid. When you draw on the solid, it will create white paint, which will act as a matte for the footage layer. The effect is, that wherever you draw, the footage will be revealed. Make sure to parent the solid layer to the footage layer too so the matte stays in sync with the footage!

Cheers,
    Chris
  • AWESOME. Thanks for the workaround! 

Sincerely,
    Peter
  • Dear. aescripts

Hello, 

I got enquiry to ask about paint& stick tool. I bought this script and used this tool about 2 weeks. There was no problem However, Today, I can't actually find what I have done so far with paint and stick effect. I have checked all the folders but all the spb and spf  files were still there. 
    and all the layers I worked on and keyframes were there ,too.
    Is there any ways I can fix this problems?

Lee
  • Please submit a help ticket so we can help you solve this. Have you moved your media at all since you last opened the project, or transferred the project to another computer or drive? In your project window/"Paint & Stick frames", is all the media still reading as online?

If it's not, you just have to right click and "Replace footage". If that does not work, please submit a help ticket. If this is indeed a bug where everything is as it should be, but the frames aren't showing, we can dig into the problem and create a patch that allows those frames to be reconnected again.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Please submit a help ticket so we can help you solve this. Have you moved your media at all since you last opened the project, or transferred the project to another computer or drive? In your project window/"Paint & Stick frames", is all the media still reading as online?

If it's not, you just have to right click and "Replace footage". If that does not work, please submit a help ticket. If this is indeed a bug where everything is as it should be, but the frames aren't showing, we can dig into the problem and create a patch that allows those frames to be reconnected again.

Cheers,
    Chris

Hi,
    I tried to send the problem files through the "submit a help ticket"
    However there are such an error called "500 Internal sever error" and they told me to write an email to [email protected]. Is there any other ways I can send  this files to you?
    such as Cloud or other email? 

Thank you.
    Lee 

Cheers,
    Chris

Hi,
    I tried to send the problem files through the "submit a help ticket"
    However there are such an error called "500 Internal sever error" and they told me to write an email to [email protected]. Is there any other ways I can send  this files to you?
    such as Cloud or other email? 

Thank you.
    Lee 

Please open the ticket and we will get you a link you can use to upload the files. It sounds like they might be too big for upload on the ticket.
  • Great plugin! I've been using it quite a bit on a project I'm working on with a lot of hand drawn animation effects. I am having an issue on some, but not all, strokes where I get a 'blob' at the beginning of my drawn stroke. It's like it is registering 100% pressure right a the start of the stroke. It's frustrating and really interrupts the flow of work. I'm working on a Cintiq 21UX.
  • Wanted to ask if there is a new version with more functionality to be released soon? I'm particularly interested in support for Element 3D.
  • Hi Michael! That is a known issue with Paint & Stick v1.0.0 on Windows, using After Effects 2015. However if you upgrade to v1.0.1 it will be fixed. I'm going to send you an email to make sure this is straightened out!

Bill, we have a TON of new functionality coming, and we actually released a first look at the new version today at NAB! I'll post all of the new information online ASAP, probably in about a week. Pleas excuse the delay, I'm out of the office for the week at NAB.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Hi! I just wanted to say first how awesome this plugin is. I can't wait to use it to add more hand drawn animation to my videos.

I wanted to inquire about adding a "fill" feature. I'm currently testing out P&S for a rotoscoping project, and it works out great except that I have to paint in the fill. I saw in an earlier comment it was mentioned about possibly coming out so I just wanted to check :)

Thanks again for an awesome plugin!
  • Hi Hannah!

We have actually just finished developing a fill tool, and we were showing it at NAB a few weeks ago. We'll be releasing it as a free upgrade to your version very soon! In addition to the fill tool, we've introduced keyboard shortcuts, a new brush engine, and many other features and fixes that will help you animate. Keep an eye out, we'll have it for you ASAP!

Cheers,
    Chris

• Hey beauty plugin. I'm testing out the demo. Seems the 'Stick' functionality isn't available via C4D Lite?. Or is there some way to get the Sticky pass / Sticky ID pass plugin into C4D Lite? 

Thanks
    Ivan
  • Hey beauty plugin. I'm testing out the demo. Seems the 'Stick' functionality isn't available via C4D Lite?. Or is there some way to get the Sticky pass / Sticky ID pass plugin into C4D Lite? 

Thanks
    Ivan
    Currently there is no way to create a Sticky Pass or ID pass using C4D Lite. The issue is that C4D Lite does not allow plugins to be installed, so we have no way to use our exporter. Sorry for the inconvenience, I don't think there's any simple way around it.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Am I right in thinking Paint & Stick is now compatible with CS6? - I know when initally launched, it wasn't
  • Am I right in thinking Paint & Stick is now compatible with CS6? - I know when initally launched, it wasn't
    It has always been compatible with CS6, however has never been compatible with CS5.5 or earlier. By the way, we will be releasing a new version very soon which is greatly improved over the version which is currently available. (This new version will be a free update to all Paint & Stick users.)

Cheers,
    Chris
    It has always been compatible with CS6, however has never been compatible with CS5.5 or earlier. By the way, we will be releasing a new version very soon which is greatly improved over the version which is currently available. (This new version will be a free update to all Paint & Stick users.)

Cheers,
    Chris
    When it was first released, I asked this & was told that it wasn't compatible with CS6 - check back to the earliest comments
  • Ah, I see! Your previous comment was during the public beta. During the beta, there was an error on our website that said it was only compatible with Ae 2015. I had forgot about that. Our release version is definitely compatible with CS6 though, please download the free trial on our main page if you'd like to try it out. Sorry for the confusion.

https://aescripts.com/paint-and-stick/

Also, keep an eye out for the next public beta. I can't say exactly when it will release, but Paint & Stick 1.5 has a ton of awesome features, like hotkeys, a fill tool, a new brush engine, speed/stability improvements, and more.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Does the Sticky Pass plugin work with Maya 2016?
  • Currently the Maya exporter script is still in beta, and most of it's testing has been done with Maya 2015. It should work with Maya 2016. I'd be glad to send you a beta copy of the MEL script, and the guide to get started. The big difference between C4D and Maya support is that the Maya setup gives you more flexibility, however is not as automatic. It can also be tripped up by things like locked Geometry, or expressions which prevent the script from applying shaders or Texture Reference Objects to your object on the Sticky Pass render layer. We'd be glad to have your feedback if you'd like to try it out.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Yes, I'd love a copy of MEL script - my sole reason for being interested in this was the ability to use it with Maya renders
  • I've sent you an email with a download link.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Hi,

demo version 1.0.1 is crashing AE when using the pen (Huion 1060+ Tablet). Drawing with mouse works.
    With version 1.0. it does work with the same tablet. Lines was a little bit jaggy.
  • Sam Sonus said:
    Hi,

demo version 1.0.1 is crashing AE when using the pen (Huion 1060+ Tablet). Drawing with mouse works.
    With version 1.0. it does work with the same tablet. Lines was a little bit jaggy.
    We made quite a few changes to the way we handle tablets between those two versions, so I can see how that might happen. I'm going to send you an email to get some information about your computer, operating system, version of After Effects, etc... It should help us narrow it down from there.

Cheers,
    Chris

• Hi, how can i fill the shape i create?
    a bucket of paint?
  • You currently have Paint & Stick v1.0.1, which does not have a fill tool. You could use the Paint Bucket Effect for now.

Paint & Stick v1.5 is coming out this week, and has a fill tool that allows one-click fills. We'll have that available for you as soon as possible, sorry for the inconvenience.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • You currently have Paint & Stick v1.0.1, which does not have a fill tool. You could use the Paint Bucket Effect for now.

Paint & Stick v1.5 is coming out this week, and has a fill tool that allows one-click fills. We'll have that available for you as soon as possible, sorry for the inconvenience.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Thanks man!!
  • Hi,
    I am trying to import PS brushes but I cant
    How I do?
    thanks!!
  • It´s possible to set the number of frames,  I mean i want my drawings frame by frame or every 2 frames....things like that. thanks
  • Hi,
    I am trying to import PS brushes but I cant
    How I do?
    thanks!!
    The brush exporter can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h2xe5fssor13p73/brushexporter.jpg?dl=1 
    It will be installed via the installer, so it should already be installed on your system. I'm going to make an in depth tutorial on this which I'll post soon. For now, use "Set PS Brush Folder" to find Photoshops brush folder, and "Select Export Folder" in that script to convert ABR photoshop Brushes to PNG/JSON.

To set the number of frames, check out this tutorial:
    https://youtu.be/EuTWpkDlRp4?t=4m17s

Basically, I draw everything on ones (at 24fps), just because the hotkey to skip a single frame forward is convenient in After Effects. Then I use the layer stretch to set it to 200%, so it's animating on twos. Alternatively, you could set your compositions framerate to 12fps.

Cheers,
    Chris

• Thanks Chrys, I will try that

• Hello, Possible bug - I'm following first tutorial and appear to run into bug for the hardness/softness of brush on a Macbook Pro when command click drag (both with wacom stylus and without) -

"unable to execute script at line 1440. Undefined is not an object."

using AE CC 2014 and OS 10.9.4 
  • Hello, Possible bug - I'm following first tutorial and appear to run into bug for the hardness/softness of brush on a Macbook Pro when command click drag (both with wacom stylus and without) -

"unable to execute script at line 1440. Undefined is not an object."

using AE CC 2014 and OS 10.9.4 
    Someone else reported the same bug earlier today with Ae 2014, luckily we found a fix to it. My suspicion is that the installer can fail with Ae 2014.

Please close Ae 2014.

Delete the plugin file:
    /Applications/Adobe After Effects CC 2014/Plug-ins/PaintAndStick

And delete the Paint & Stick script files (any scripts that start with "Paint & Stick"):
    /Applications/Adobe After Effects CC 2014/Scripts/ScriptUI Panels

Then re-run the installer, and restart Ae 2014. Hopefully, this should work. If it does not, please just close and re-open Ae 2014 one more time. Also, please note that if you ever see "Undefined is not an object", that means the brush palette has lost communication with the effect, and will not work until Ae is restarted.

Last, we would highly recommend working with the latest version of Ae 2015. We're a small team, so we tend to focus our testing on CS6, and the latest version of After Effects. There are so many changes between the two versions, it would be tough to support all the versions/updates in between. Our rationalization is if you own Ae2014, you also own Ae2015, so hopefully that's an option. (The latest release of Ae2015 is awesome by the way!)

Cheers,
    Chris

• Does this work perfectly with the new 2015.3 version?
  • Zach Long said:
    Does this work perfectly with the new 2015.3 version?
    Uh, unfortunately no... I've been drawing all day today, and it appears to take quite a performance hit. I just clocked it, it's drawing at around 12fps in Ae 2015.3, whereas in the previous version, Ae 2015, we were around 60fps on the same computer.

We don't know where the issue is coming from yet, I'd recommend using Ae 2015 with Paint & Stick 1.5 for now... Hopefully we'll have this resolved soon.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Hi, is it possible to select and move parts of drawings around on the canvas once I've laid down a drawing? For instance grabbing part of an arm and rotating it to create another rough pose? (equivalent of lasso selection part of a layer and cmd+T to transform it in photoshop)

I'm really loving the possibilities for creating fast storyboards/animatics at the same time!

thanks
    dave
  • Hi, is it possible to select and move parts of drawings around on the canvas once I've laid down a drawing? For instance grabbing part of an arm and rotating it to create another rough pose? (equivalent of lasso selection part of a layer and cmd+T to transform it in photoshop)

I'm really loving the possibilities for creating fast storyboards/animatics at the same time!

thanks
    dave
    It is not yet possible, but we get that request from lots of users, and I often find myself wanting a lasso too. As a workaround, you could duplicate the layer and use a track matte to cut it and move it, but of course that's a bit slow and clunky, requiring too many steps. 
    That feature request is on the list, and we can't get to it until we're done with fixes, but it is in our future. Thanks for the feedback

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Hi there,

Hope you are well.
    Your plugins look awesome.
    I've downloaded your beta version but for some reason it says I need to upgrade it in order to use it on CC 13.5.
    I believe I've downloaded the latest version available, so I'm not sure what is going on.

Can you give me a hand?

Thanks a lot
    Joao
  • Hi there,

Hope you are well.
    Your plugins look awesome.
    I've downloaded your beta version but for some reason it says I need to upgrade it in order to use it on CC 13.5.
    I believe I've downloaded the latest version available, so I'm not sure what is going on.

Can you give me a hand?

Thanks a lot
    Joao
    Hi Joao, this is normal actually.

So, for some background information, when After Effects 2015 released, it released as After Effects 13.5.0. The problem was, there were a handful of bugs and issues with 13.5.0 related to plugin support, which effected plugins such as ours. Paint & Stick simply doesn't work 13.5.0, even though it may look like it's working, there will be issues saving frames, and drawing. 
    Adobe put out a free patch for anyone who owned After Effects 2015 to upgrade via the Creative Cloud to 13.5.1. Currently 13.5.2 is freely available to all Creative Cloud owners who have and use After Effects 2015. We support both of those version, and both are free! Sorry for the inconvenience, please update your version of 2015 and you'll be able to work with Paint & Stick.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Hi There,

I love the beta plugin. Wondering I saw the email about upgrade the beta to V1 for free.
    Where do I find that at link at? 
  • Hi There,

I love the beta plugin. Wondering I saw the email about upgrade the beta to V1 for free.
    Where do I find that at link at? 
    Hi Jose!

We're very glad you've enjoyed the beta. And yes, you can certainly upgrade from 1.0 for free to 1.5, all users who own 1.0 can. The download for 1.5 is in the same place you downloaded 1.0, we've just made it available. Also, to you and all other users out there, please feel free to ping us with any work you create with Paint & Stick! We'd love to see it.

https://aescripts.com/downloadable/customer/products/

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Hi I was wondering how I find the downloadable test brushes for this version of paint and stick. I bought it and would like to test them out.
    Thanks.
    mm
  • Hi I was wondering how I find the downloadable test brushes for this version of paint and stick. I bought it and would like to test them out.
    Thanks.
    mm
    You can find them in  the 'My Downloads & Licenses' section of your user account.  We just uploaded them so please check again if you didn't see them before.