Characteristic
  • I'm getting the same error as below posts.

'Comp 1 cannot be a direct child of typeface folder league spartan 01.'

Tried different fonts from Animography but still get the same error.

The comp is not in the font folders.

please open a support ticket and send us as many screenshots and details as possible including the version of  Characteristic and AE that you are using.  Also please check to make sure you are using the latest version of Characteristic which you can get from the 'My Downloads & Licenses' section of your user account. 
  • Any solution for the "direct child" error? I get the same error message like the others. I use the latest version of characteristic in AE CC12. And my comp is not in the typeface folders, I can place it anywhere, but I always get the same message..
  • Any solution for the "direct child" error? I get the same error message like the others. I use the latest version of characteristic in AE CC12. And my comp is not in the typeface folders, I can place it anywhere, but I always get the same message..
    Please open a support ticket like the comment above from Lloyd.  If we can't reproduce the error we need a little help on what AE, Characteristic version, animated typeface, what you have enabled, etc.  Thanks!
  • I am creating an animated font (and want it to work with characteristic, which I have) it is an all caps font, so I don't want the user to have to select the A/a button. However I have an alternative lower case x to be used as a multiplication symbol. so "2 x 3 = 6" rather than "2 X 3 = 6" or "2 * 3 = 6" I also have an asterisk so I can't use that symbol to name the x comp - should I us ≈ (option+x) or some other key combination to name that comp - of course I'll have to write up a paragraph to explain to the user and probably it will hardly ever be used, so I guess an other option is to not include the character - I do include +, -, =, / and ÷ (option + /) symbols so I just thought it might be nice to include the x symbol.
    Thanks for your input,Tim Thiessen
  • I am creating an animated font (and want it to work with characteristic, which I have) it is an all caps font, so I don't want the user to have to select the A/a button. However I have an alternative lower case x to be used as a multiplication symbol. so "2 x 3 = 6" rather than "2 X 3 = 6" or "2 * 3 = 6" I also have an asterisk so I can't use that symbol to name the x comp - should I us ≈ (option+x) or some other key combination to name that comp - of course I'll have to write up a paragraph to explain to the user and probably it will hardly ever be used, so I guess an other option is to not include the character - I do include +, -, =, / and ÷ (option + /) symbols so I just thought it might be nice to include the x symbol.
    Thanks for your input,Tim Thiessen
    I believe the easiest option would be to no include the x symbol unless for some reason you plan to make the entire lower case characters to be included one day.  For such a small option I think if someone really wanted it would just shrink down the "X" comp to be a lower case "x"
  • Hi.
    When trying to create metrics for a font, after I've selected a folder and clicked 'Create', AE keeps on giving me: Script Alert, null is not an object.
    A metrics composition is created, but the settings layer is missing. Also no metrics comp to be found at the individual letters.
    I've got the latest version of the script and the latest CC.
    Did I miss something?

edit:
    Tried it again in a minimal setting. It did work. Another script was probably interfering with it.
  • Hi Daan,

Glad you got it working.
  • Hi,

I'm facing several problems with Animography animated types, on their own, and with Characteristic.
    I spent half a day with testing and struggle and nothing changes. I bought the types and the script, so I would like them to work properly.

Here's my configuration :
    - MacPro 12-core 2010, OS X Yosemite
    - AE CC 2014 (latest version of characteristic) and AE CS5 (2013 version of Ch.)

Here are the troubles :
    - I bought both the types and script a year ago at the end of 2013, and at that time there was a language problem with expressions (I'm working in french version) so they were pretty useless and I didn't get further (no time and patience).

- Now some of the types (Amelie, Anodine, Webster — not Isotype or Typogami though — why ??? ) have been updated for universal languages, which is cool, as they work, both in AE CS5 and AE CC14. Chracteristic works also properly in AE CS5 and I can make the job with the correct types. BUT : Nothing happen in AE CC14 ! Not even a message error. I do the same way than in AE CS5, I have the latest 2015 version of the script, and when I click on Create, nothing happens. The comp stays empty, whatever type I'm using. Very frustrating, as I work in AE CC14, not in CS5 anymore.

Any idea of what is happening ?

ps : I tried to reload and replace the script in Script UI folder, then to replace all the scripts, but it did nothing.
    last thing : I noticed this last version of Ch. has no "animate" checkbox in the panel, contrary to the old CS5 version.
    I don't know if it's normal.

Thank you for your help, I really need to fix this for my work.

Guillaume.
  • Hi,

I'm facing several problems with Animography animated types, on their own, and with Characteristic.
    Please open a support ticket for help with this issue.
  • Hi, I have a problem launching characteristic. An After Effects message appears telling: Unable to execute script at line 104. Server inetrface error 'Error from createImageSet(6,0,undefined,0,0,0,undefined,0,0,0,undefined0,0,0,undefined,0,0): ActionScript error:Error: Normal image state must have imageData' 

Anyone has the same problem? 
    Thanks,
  • Edi,

Can you please open a support ticket with details of your system specs, After Effects version, other scripts installed, etc...?

Initially, my guess is that this is an AE bug.
  • The createImageSet bug should be fixed in the latest 1.4.2 version.
  • This is an awesome script! It makes me think of projects in a new way, and even helped me sell additional services to my first client as a brand typeface! Thank you!
  • Hi,

Would this possibly work with Arabic typefaces? 
  • Hi,

Would this possibly work with Arabic typefaces? 
    If I remember correctly no it would not be possible to do. Sorry
  • Hi there...

I try to use characteristics on a new Typeface, called friction, but the script tells me "Typeface folder is missing or unset". But it is not missing and it is set correctly. Could it be that it has to do with the german version? Do i have to change "Stammverzeichnis" with the english word?
  • Hi there...

I try to use characteristics on a new Typeface, called friction, but the script tells me "Typeface folder is missing or unset". But it is not missing and it is set correctly. Could it be that it has to do with the german version? Do i have to change "Stammverzeichnis" with the english word?
    Hi Peter, if I remember correctly Characteristic only works with English type.  

• Hi Peter, if I remember correctly Characteristic only works with English type.  

That is not correct. Please download the latest version of characteristic which should work with all languages.
  • I'm finding that After Effects becomes extremely sluggish/slow when using characteristic. Is there a way to optimize its performance? Everything runs full speed untill I hit create - then aftwards everything slows to a crawl.
  • I'm finding that After Effects becomes extremely sluggish/slow when using characteristic. Is there a way to optimize its performance? Everything runs full speed untill I hit create - then aftwards everything slows to a crawl.
    If you have a LOT of text then yes it will slow down.  One way to speed it back up would be to Disable the "Animate" button in "Type Layout." This should increase the speed significantly.
  • Where is the Mondo font available (the one that has paint splatters)?  Thanks.  Love the plugin.

• Where is the Mondo font available (the one that has paint splatters)?  Thanks.  Love the plugin.

Sorry not familiar with that font.
  • Where can I get the Mondo Typeface?  The one with the paint splats?
  • It is referenced and used in the 1st tutorial I believe.
  • This is a slightly stupid question, but in the advanced tutorial you make a test with all the characters in it. I'd like to do the same, but I can't figure out how to put a line break in. So how do I put in a line break?
  • This is a slightly stupid question, but in the advanced tutorial you make a test with all the characters in it. I'd like to do the same, but I can't figure out how to put a line break in. So how do I put in a line break?
    Hey Paul, currently you have to do this manually after generating the characters. When this script is re-written as an extension it will be capable of respecting line breaks and doing this automatically. No ETA on that though as AE extensions are still in their infancy.  
  • Hey everyone!
    I have i problem with creating matrix
    Did someone know what i'm doing wrong with characteristic?, if the matrix working only on number and punctuation? I put it the same as you with the same composition and in one folder, but when i click create matrix it's happening only on number and punctuation, but the size and composition setting is the same 
    And then i tried to create a matrix only with a letters and it shows me this 

Thanks in advance for help
    Veronika
    Снимок экрана 2016-01-10 в 20.57.45.png
    1098 x 582 - 193K
  • Hi Veronika,

Have you watched the advanced tutorial? It goes over how to add metrics to your typeface's glyphs.
  • Hi guys!
    Love the script, but as of recent I'm getting a 'Unable to execute script at line 1480. name is read only'. The UI tab appears blank with only the name of the script is visible. None of the interface controls are there.
    I'm not sure if it's coming from the code or some cross script contamination.

I'm running MacOS 10.11.5
    The error comes up on AE CC 2015 and 2015.3 but works fine in CC2014.
    I'm not sure when it started.

Let me know if you can help and/or if you want me to start a support ticket.

Thanks!
    Hector.
  • I'm having a similar problem as Hector. I haven't received any execution errors, but I cannot get the user interface to display in AE 2015.3 (13.8.0.144). Just purchased plug-in, so I'm using the latest version. 
    AE Screenshot.png
    1555 x 1255 - 201K
  • I'm getting the same error message: 'Unable to execute script at line 1480. name is read only'. AE Version is 13.8.1.38. Please help!
  • Please help... I'm getting the same error as Werner Radler.

'Unable to execute script at line 1480. name is read only'. 

AE Version is 13.8.1.38. 

• Hello Michael,

I've updated to version 1.5.7 and every time i try to load the script the following message occurs  "Unable to execute script at line 100. Unable to create temporary image file". When i install the older version works well,

For this particular project i'm working on CS6  

When i load the updated script in CC 2015 the script works like a charm.

Any suggested solution in order to use the 1.5.7 in CS6?

edit: it's for a template creation. That's why the CS6 version is needed
  • Hey there,

I've got Characteristic 1.5.7 running on CC 13.0.

I've been running Characteristic for a while on it with no problems. Now all of a sudden when I hit create the null controller shows up with no sliders to affect the tracking and all that.

Tried deleting and reinstalling the script... nothing. Don't know what to do. Had a project update I wanted to turn in this evening but now I'm SOL.

Any ideas or workarounds?

Thanks,
    J
  • Hey there,

I've got Characteristic 1.5.7 running on CC 13.0.

I've been running Characteristic for a while on it with no problems. Now all of a sudden when I hit create the null controller shows up with no sliders to affect the tracking and all that.

Tried deleting and reinstalling the script... nothing. Don't know what to do. Had a project update I wanted to turn in this evening but now I'm SOL.

Any ideas or workarounds?

Thanks,
    J
    Just a guess but CC 2015 might be the problem, if you have CC 2017 or CC 2014 I would try that.  Also you could start a new project then import your project file to the new project and see if that fixes the problem.
  • Hey there, thanks for this script!
    I have an issue using it though, two things:
    -I've set this up with my own animated font, followed the instructions of the video and it worked. But now I suddenly get letters that changed possition and scale. I'm using an alpha mask and a text layer the alpha mask had a paint effect on it, this effect changed possittion and scale. 
    -second problem I'm having is, when I make a word I get the word but in my null I don't have any of the options to change the word. 

Could you please help me, I'm obligated to use the old way at the moment :(
  • remy ndow said:
    Hey there, thanks for this script!
    I have an issue using it though, two things:
    -I've set this up with my own animated font, followed the instructions of the video and it worked. But now I suddenly get letters that changed possition and scale. I'm using an alpha mask and a text layer the alpha mask had a paint effect on it, this effect changed possittion and scale. 
    -second problem I'm having is, when I make a word I get the word but in my null I don't have any of the options to change the word. 

Could you please help me, I'm obligated to use the old way at the moment :(
    Hi Remy, 
    1. The problem might be with continuous rasterization.  Make sure it's disabled on the words you create.  If that doesn't fix it I would have to actually see the project file to figure out what the problem is and how to fix it.
    2. The script doesn't have an option to change the word. The easiest way to achieve this would be to make the new word and do a direct parent from the new word null to the old null.
  • animation option doesn't show on the UI with after effect 2019 !!! 
  • animation option doesn't show on the UI with after effect 2019 !!! 

Characteristic is not compatible with CC2019, please check the compatibility tab. If you need an animated typeface tool for CC2019 please check out Font Manager https://aescripts.com/font-manager/