Paint & Stick Public Beta
  • Does Stick work with C4D Lite?  ...And if so, where should the exporter go?  (I'm on a Windows machine and I can't find a "Plugins" folder inside the Maxon folder.)
    It does not work with C4D Lite because currently there is no way to create plugins for C4D Lite. Also, there is no" plugins" folder in C4D Lite. Paint & Stick only works with the full version of C4D. Sorry about that, we wish there was a way to workaround this, but we don't think there is.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Paint & Stick Product Manager
  • It's a very great program that can achieved my purpose.I have seek it for long.
    I wish there will be a function like  "Rotate view tool" and "Lasso Tool" as PS in future version.

• It's a very great program that can achieved my purpose.I have seek it for long.
    I wish there will be a function like  "Rotate view tool" and "Lasso Tool" as PS in future version.

I don't think we could do "rotate view" because After Effects handles the viewport, and I think effecting that is beyond our control. It would be possible to do a Lasso however. I definitely want a lasso tool too, it's somewhere on our priority list.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • There are some bugs with the interface. The stage do not refresh sometimes by "undo" commands. And the toolbar disappear sometimes while working. AE 2015-3 (13.8.0.144) I hope you will get it until 28. of june.
    But finaly a great application. Yeah! Love it a lot.
    many regards
    MAX
  • There are a lot of bugs with the interface. The stage do not refresh by "undo" commands. And the toolbar disappear sometimes while working.
    I hope you will get it until 28. of june.
    If by the interface, you mean the brush palette, or the toolbar, yes those are not effected by undos. We mimicked the design in Photoshop, where an undo effects changes to the canvas, but undos do not effect changing brush size, brush color, or any other tool control. It was more of a design choice, we're curious if users prefer this or not. When in doubt, we tend to conform to Photoshop as that seems to be the industry standard Paint tool that most After Effects users prefer.

As for the toolbar, the toolbar is created as part of the After Effects UI, so it's expected behavior is to not always be visible. Our toolbar behaves the same way as any other effect's UI would behave. So for example of another effect with it's own UI, Mesh Warp. The Mesh Warp control grid only appears when you have mesh warp selected, and disappears so it's not in your way when the effect is not selected. The Paint & Stick toolbar is forced to obey the same UI visibility rules as the other effects in After Effects, so it's only visible when Paint & Stick is selected, but disappears otherwise. Also, the toolbar may sometimes it may disappear if your UI is hidden by the hotkey command. Ctrl+shift+H on Windows, CMD+shift+H on Mac will toggle UI visibility, such as masks, keyframes, bezier handles, and the Paint & Stick toolbar.

So the undo issue and the toolbar disappearing are not bugs, they're expected behavior, however we'd be curious if you'd prefer it to behave another way.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Okey. I see. Many thanks for the solution:
    Also, the toolbar may sometimes it may disappear if your UI is hidden by the hotkey command. Ctrl+shift+H on Windows, CMD+shift+H on Mac will toggle UI visibility

The toolbar is hidden by the hot key CMD + shift +H.
    Without the tool-panel it is not possible to work.
    Normaly i click on the paint-tools-buttons (PAINT/ERASE/MATTE) and the toolbox appears.
    But not, if "CMD + shift +H" is pressed. This was confusing me.
    Thanks for your help.
    MAX

Did you plan for a manual or do also a manual exist?
  • Max Mahler said:
    Okey. I see. Many thanks for the solution:
    Also, the toolbar may sometimes it may disappear if your UI is hidden by the hotkey command. Ctrl+shift+H on Windows, CMD+shift+H on Mac will toggle UI visibility

The toolbar is hidden by the hot key CMD + shift +H.
    Without the tool-panel it is not possible to work.
    Normaly i click on the paint-tools-buttons (PAINT/ERASE/MATTE) and the toolbox appears.
    But not, if "CMD + shift +H" is pressed. This was confusing me.
    Thanks for your help.
    MAX

Did you plan for a manual or do also a manual exist?
    I agree that our toolbar visibility isn't ideal, it's mostly a result of working within the restrictions of After Effects plugins. In the future we may be able to change the behavior.
    We do have a manual, and tons of tutorials too: https://aescripts.com/knowledgebase/index/view/faq/paint-and-stick/
    Cheers,
    Chris
  • I bought paint and stick several months ago. When is the new version official release going to be ready? You guys keep extending the beta over and over again.
  • I bought paint and stick several months ago. When is the new version official release going to be ready? You guys keep extending the beta over and over again.
    July 12th should be the last day we extend until. We've ended up making a lot of changes and fixes, the beta went longer than we expected. We didn't quite realize how annoying it would be for a person who owns Paint & Stick to have to re-download the beta for every extension, and on July 12th, we will be putting out a permanent version, so whether we build new versions or not, you don't have to download them to keep working.
    The reason we never put out a permanent version for paid users during a beta, is that we don't want beta builds, which are untested, to live on a users computer for years and cause problems. The idea is that we only create a permanent build once we've made sure it's been tested on thousands of computers, so we're confident in it. We're almost there with 1.5.
    So in short, July 12th you can expect a permanent version, and it's very likely the beta will end.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Hi. Max again.
    Now the 12th of july comes closer and the day when P&S beta expires and the beta-users thinking about to license your software.
    In the license terms it is strictly regulated, that the license is a "single place license" (installation - not more than one computer).
    I´m working with AE at two workstations: At work (macbook) and at home (macmini). I never use the software at the same time.
    The ADOBE CC license for example includes the installation (and login) on two workstations, but not the usage at the same time.
    And P&S is
    inextricably linked with AE.

What is your proposal for the procedure with "two seats" in the way i use it?
    - activate - deactivate - activate - deactivate - ... (would work at all?)
    - i have to purchase two P&S licenses for this requirement
    - always carry around the mobile computer

Thank you for the answer.
    I don´t found an entry at the FAQs.
    best regards
    MAX
  • Hi. Max again.
    Now the 12th of july comes closer and the day when P&S beta expires and the beta-users thinking about to license your software.
    In the license terms it is strictly regulated, that the license is a "single place license" (installation - not more than one computer).
    I´m working with AE at two workstations: At work (macbook) and at home (macmini). I never use the software at the same time.
    The ADOBE CC license for example includes the installation (and login) on two workstations, but not the usage at the same time.
    And P&S is
    inextricably linked with AE.

What is your proposal for the procedure with "two seats" in the way i use it?
    - activate - deactivate - activate - deactivate - ... (would work at all?)
    - i have to purchase two P&S licenses for this requirement
    - always carry around the mobile computer

Thank you for the answer.
    I don´t found an entry at the FAQs.
    best regards
    MAX

Hi Max The legal speak can be a bit confusing but the license allows for the software to be installed on up to two computers as long as they are not being used at the same time. If you need to install it on more than two computers or use them at the same time you will need additional licenses.
  • Hello P&S,

I've found a bug when using Astropad and iPad Pro – The first contact with the surface generates a much higher pressure than it should, it then returns to normal behaviour.

I've tested this with Photoshop + Astropad and I don't get the pressure error. Please see the attached picture – the arrows point to the start of the lines drawn via astropad. I've also included another line drawn with a wacom intuos.

Hope you can fix it as this is how I was hoping to work principally :)

Best,

Stuart
    P+S ERROR.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 196K
  • St Pa said:
    Hello P&S,

I've found a bug when using Astropad and iPad Pro – The first contact with the surface generates a much higher pressure than it should, it then returns to normal behaviour.

I've tested this with Photoshop + Astropad and I don't get the pressure error. Please see the attached picture – the arrows point to the start of the lines drawn via astropad. I've also included another line drawn with a wacom intuos.

Hope you can fix it as this is how I was hoping to work principally :)

Best,

Stuart
    First of all, thank you for your drawing. I really appreciate how clearly you've described the bug, that makes it way easier for us to understand what's wrong, and of course, much easier to fix. We had this issue once before with certain Wacom tablets, and the fix was actually relatively easy, so I assume this one will be too.
    To be honest though, we plan to fix this, but it's going to be a little later in the schedule. We've mapped out a handful of bugs in the beta that either effect all Paint & Stick users, or high percentages, such as all mac users, all Ae2015 users, etc... This fix will very likely not happen during the beta, but hopefully soon.

Thanks again for the bug report, I'll put your name in the bug report I'm creating so we can email you when we have a fix.

Cheers,
    Chris
  •  This fix will very likely not happen during the beta, but hopefully soon.

Thanks again for the bug report, I'll put your name in the bug report I'm creating so we can email you when we have a fix.
    Yeah I understand that its a very niche way of working and there are bigger problems to fix. When you say it won't be done in the beta I presume you mean it won't be done for your release date next week.

Any idea how far down the line it would be? I'm happy to test a build for you when you do look at addressing it.

Thanks,

S
  • St Pa said:
    Yeah I understand that its a very niche way of working and there are bigger problems to fix. When you say it won't be done in the beta I presume you mean it won't be done for your release date next week.

Any idea how far down the line it would be? I'm happy to test a build for you when you do look at addressing it.

Thanks,

S
    I have to be realistic, even though this is an easy fix, I'd say it could be a few months. As a rule, we typically don't introduce new fixes when we're already in the middle of one, because sometimes even though two fixes seem unrelated, they can be. This can make bugs very difficult to track down. I'll ask my team if we can prioritize it because it seems so fast, but the assumption I'm going on now is they'll want to wait until they tackle the issues they're already assigned. Sorry about that, but I agree the iPad Pro would be really cool to support.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Hello Paint & Stick Team.

I got an little issue with "THE" Pluggin.
    I use au Cintiq 27 pen & touch with wacom remote on a Imac 5K. And when i use the brush sometimes when i draw a line the pen switch too the brush size and grow up the size of the brush and still bloc like i was holding cmd...
    I have always to presse cmd or alt to realease the "resize" it pretty creepy... Nothing very bad but annoying for my workflow.
    I try to understand where that coming from but after checking all my wacom config and short cut i still not understand that. 
    May be you know something about this ?  ( I disable also the touch mode on the cintiq and nothing change)

Thanks u 
    ++

I use au Cintiq 27 pen & touch with wacom remote on a Imac 5K. And when i use the brush sometimes when i draw a line the pen switch too the brush size and grow up the size of the brush and still bloc like i was holding cmd...
    I have always to presse cmd or alt to realease the "resize" it pretty creepy... Nothing very bad but annoying for my workflow.
    I try to understand where that coming from but after checking all my wacom config and short cut i still not understand that. 
    May be you know something about this ?  ( I disable also the touch mode on the cintiq and nothing change)

Thanks u 
    ++

I'll look into this today, I'll let you know if I'm able to get the bug on my end, as soon as possible. Thanks for the info.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • was trying to get it to work with 2015.3 - should have read the compatibility texts.  it doesn't
  • was trying to get it to work with 2015.3 - should have read the compatibility texts.  it doesn't

It does work with 2015.3, however only the latest version we have posted. The previous versions we had posted will not install for 2015.3. Please go to your downloads and look for beta 4, we uploaded it a few days ago.
    Also, everything appears to be great on Mac with 2015.3, but there is considerable slowdown on Windows. The after effects team is aware of this problem, and we are addressing it. I'd recommend after effects 2015 if you're working on Windows.

Cheers,
    Chris

Thanks u 
    ++

Hi, we have identified the problem, and are able to reproduce it on our end. We will be working to fix it. No guarantees on exactly when,  but this is a high priority bug for us, because it impacts basic usability with the Cintiq. Sorry about that, thank you very much for reporting the bug!

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Hi, I'm using a cintiq (older version), Mac OS 10.11.5 & AE 2015.3 and most things seem to be working except for the fill function. When I mouse over the inside of the stroke & the color highlights where I want to fill--when I click it doesn't fill.
  • also, it only seems to fill exterior of obejcet not the inside. For example I followed the turorial and drew an a bouncing ball. the fill function will not fil the inside of ball but will fill the entore screen outside of the ball.  odd...
  • also, it only seems to fill exterior of obejcet not the inside. For example I followed the turorial and drew an a bouncing ball. the fill function will not fil the inside of ball but will fill the entore screen outside of the ball.  odd...
    I have seen that bug before, are you working at half resolution in the comp? Fill only works at full resolution, it should have thrown an error message.
    If that's not the issue, please open a support ticket and send me the project file?  We just made a bunch of fixes to fill in beta 4.Please make sure you're using the latest download of Paint & Stick 1.54.

You can download the latest here:
    https://aescripts.com/downloadable/customer/products/

Cheers,
    Chris

Thanks u 
    ++

We figured out the issue. It's a bug in the latest Wacom Driver. Actually, it appears to effect both After Effects and Photoshop as a whole, not just Paint & Stick. We did not notice this earlier because we did not ever need to Command+click+dragging in Ae or Photoshop.

The bug is present in Mac Wacom Driver 6.3.16-12. It is not in 6.3.15-3. You can download 6.3.15-3 here, and install it to solve the problem:
    http://www.wacom.com/en-us/support/product-support/drivers

Supposedly this is a known problem, I'd assume Wacom will fix it soon. https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2179053

So please download the older driver, and we'll attempt to report this to the Wacom team.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Thanks a lot Chris ! It's working fine now. Cheers.
  • I'm sorry. my mistake. I have bought the update long ago. Was looking for the actuall download of the newest version. But I have two or more P & S listings in my "download and licenses". And in the latest is not the last version. Have a look to this screenshot. This is really irritating. Is it possible to delete the beta-versions from the list?

• I'm sorry. my mistake. I have bought the update long ago. Was looking for the actuall download of the newest version. But I have two or more P & S listings in my "download and licenses". And in the latest is not the last version. Have a look to this screenshot. This is really irritating. Is it possible to delete the beta-versions from the list?

Not sure what the confusion is. The Beta version is called Beta and is expired, simply download and install the non-beta version. You can also use our manager app that let's you filter: https://aescripts.com/learn/aescripts-aeplugins-manager-app/